• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Grammys is getting a Video Game OST category for the first time next year. I NEED Mitsuda to submit Xenoblade 3.

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him

I’m not even gonna do the “the game isn’t out yet we don’t know how the OST will be”

Let’s stop the bullshit before it starts. It’ll be nothing less than great. We all know this.

With that out of the way, the GRAMMYS are finally doing something I’ve wished for a long time - a category to recognize video game OSTs.

It’s hard to think of a better first recipient for this award than Yasunori Mitsuda. The man has composed legendary game soundtracks, and is renowned as one of the video game industry’s greatest composers. With Mitsuda on record as saying he thinks XC3’s ost is his magnum opus, I think it would be SO special for him to win this.

Adding on, a second game awards snub would mean even less than it already does if he just goes straight to a damn GRAMMY!

Anyway this is a half Garbage Galaxy thread and is lighthearted of course, but I’m actually dead serious at the same time.

Congratulations on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II winning the Grammy for best soundtrack.

You know that's how it's gonna go.

Please let it not just be Hanz Zimmer style scores that get the nominations. Nothing wrong with those but want to have new games with soundtracks like Celeste or Undertale not get squashed by the big studios/games. Just need a level playing field for this. Glad they are doing this though and agree Xenoblade 3 is a perfect choice.

On a more serious note, do we know the rules for qualifying for voting? If something like a soundtrack release is required then yeah, that'll be hard for Nintendo games. For the ones that do get releases they're usually a) Japan only and b) come out months or sometimes years after the game releases. Especially if DLC is involved.

They're just gonna hand these awards to whatever popular Western cinematic game with a boring soundtrack happens to come out that year

On a more serious note, do we know the rules for qualifying for voting? If something like a soundtrack release is required then yeah, for the Nintendo games that do get releases they're usually a) Japan only and b) come out months or sometimes years after the game releases. Especially if DLC is involved.
I seem to remember XC2’s releasing pretty soon after the game on iTunes (perhaps even the day of). torna’s is on there too. I don’t think a physical release is required for Grammys. Kanye West’s album from last year being an example

That said, XCDE’s is not available on iTunes. And that’s the most recent Xenoblade release. Hopefully Mitsuda pushes for XC3’s OST Digital release.

The only other thing is that artists have to knowingly “submit” their work for consideration. It’s not like TGA where everyone is automatically eligible for nomination.

My tribute to what is going to be an incredible soundtrack. XC music is god tier.

Please let it not just be Hanz Zimmer style scores that get the nominations. Nothing wrong with those but want to have new games with soundtracks like Celeste or Undertale not get squashed by the big studios/games. Just need a level playing field for this. Glad they are doing this though and agree Xenoblade 3 is a perfect choice.
to be honest, zimmer himself is not a guaranteed winner. the timeframe between his two oscars is of what? 27 years? And in the other awards his win streak is also balanced.

Oh wow, we should let Mitsuda know about this. This award is made for him.

Unless...

They're just gonna hand these awards to whatever popular Western cinematic game with a boring soundtrack happens to come out that year
Sounds like our reality, yeah.

Yay Grammy’s now how have an equivalent of the “Best Animated Film” that was instituted for the Oscars after Beauty & The Beast
You're saying Disney will always will the Game OST Grammy by default due to the voters never actually seeing any of the other nominees?

You're saying Disney will always will the Game OST Grammy by default due to the voters never actually seeing any of the other nominees?
😆

More like this is a way to prevent video games scores and arrangements from being included in the broader awards. It’s a double-edged sword.

Last edited:
If Xenoblade can't even get nods from the Game Awards of all things for it's amazing soundtrack then I'm sceptical the Grammy's will be much better, but hey, would be a nice surprise.

Anything that gives game music and soundtracks more mainstream legitimacy is a good thing in my mind

If Xenoblade can't even get nods from the Game Awards of all things for it's amazing soundtrack then I'm sceptical the Grammy's will be much better, but hey, would be a nice surprise.

Anything that gives game music and soundtracks more mainstream legitimacy is a good thing in my mind
The Grammys aren't going to be predisposed to favoring M-rated grimdark cinematic action games like TGAs, so at least there's that. Mitsuda might have a better chance that way.

It would be funny if The Keighleys© snub Xenoblade for the umpteenth time only for it to win a Grammy afterwards, lol. It's a bit unlikely, though. All of these awards have their own bias, and i guess this one will be biased towards western cinematic games, like others have said. It doesn't keep us from enjoying the soundtrack, of course, and this one will be glorious.

Back
Top Bottom