• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The first official "Sonic The Hedgehog is a Great Franchise" thread

The 3DS/Wii U eShop thread has me thinking...apart from games included in Sonic Origins (since I plan to get that), are there any Sonic games on 3DS or Wii U that are must-plays for someone interested in getting into the series? (And I realize I've been saying this for ages but it just takes me forever to get to games...😅)
Were there any besides Lost World and Sonic Boom?

Shattered Crystal and Fire & Ice could become harder to get physical.. Rise of Lyric is already expensive in the used market

Then there's also the M&S games (Rio 2016 on Wii U is super pricey);

I personally recommend Generations 3DS, as I quite enjoy the physics for Classic Sonic there, way more than the console versions.

Were there any besides Lost World and Sonic Boom?

Thanks - I thought there may be a bunch of eShop type games. Like Sega Ages releases and such. I've tried Lost World, one of the only Sonic games I've played, tried it years ago on Wii U and couldn't get into it.
Shattered Crystal and Fire & Ice could become harder to get physical.. Rise of Lyric is already expensive in the used market

Then there's also the M&S games (Rio 2016 on Wii U is super pricey);

I personally recommend Generations 3DS, as I quite enjoy the physics for Classic Sonic there, way more than the console versions.
Thanks, I'll check out Generations 3DS for sure. It's 2.5D?

Thanks, I'll check out Generations 3DS for sure. It's 2.5D?
Yeah, Modern stages acts like a 4th Sonic Rush game, with a setpiece here and there trying to spice things out.

Back when it was new, I loved to play the online vs. mode; but I don't think there are many folks playing these days..

I read this in Mike's and Roger's voices. 😅

Xbk8yMQ.webp

The 3DS/Wii U eShop thread has me thinking...apart from games included in Sonic Origins (since I plan to get that), are there any Sonic games on 3DS or Wii U that are must-plays for someone interested in getting into the series? (And I realize I've been saying this for ages but it just takes me forever to get to games...😅)
Honestly? I don't know if I'd consider any of the 3DS/Wii U exclusive Sonic games "must-plays". Generations 3DS was neat but the console/PC version gets a higher recommendation, the 3DS Sonic Boom games are fine, the Wii U Sonic Boom game is...well, its reputation is well earned, and Lost World 3DS wasn't exactly loved, either. That leaves the Mario & Sonic games, which could be neat if you want mini games but aren't essential if you're getting into Sonic. And if you want to try Lost World Wii U in the future, it's on Steam.

The 3DS eShop does have Sonic's Game Gear library, if you were interested in playing his early portable adventures. They're probably not must-plays, but there's a couple of neat things buried in there. Been meaning to try Tails Adventure, a kinda Metroidvania-like title that's more traditional platformer in style.

Honestly? I don't know if I'd consider any of the 3DS/Wii U exclusive Sonic games "must-plays". Generations 3DS was neat but the console/PC version gets a higher recommendation, the 3DS Sonic Boom games are fine, the Wii U Sonic Boom game is...well, its reputation is well earned, and Lost World 3DS wasn't exactly loved, either. That leaves the Mario & Sonic games, which could be neat if you want mini games but aren't essential if you're getting into Sonic. And if you want to try Lost World Wii U in the future, it's on Steam.

The 3DS eShop does have Sonic's Game Gear library, if you were interested in playing his early portable adventures. They're probably not must-plays, but there's a couple of neat things buried in there. Been meaning to try Tails Adventure, a kinda Metroidvania-like title that's more traditional platformer in style.
Thanks Volcanic! I remember seeing or trying the Game Gear entries as a little kid when they were first out and I think they're part of what made me less interested in Sonic. Just the screen and field of view I think. I remember being amazed to see a handheld in color though. I'm definitely more interested in games you'd consider must-plays. At this point has Origins been patched to remove glitches?

At this point has Origins been patched to remove glitches?
Yes. I'm almost all the way through the story mode and have had very, very few issues. I remember running into a couple things where I was "huh, that's weird" but nothing game breaking and they were so minor I don't remember what they actually were. The glaring issues (like infinite jumping Tails) are patched.

Yes. I'm almost all the way through the story mode and have had very, very few issues. I remember running into a couple things where I was "huh, that's weird" but nothing game breaking and they were so minor I don't remember what they actually were. The glaring issues (like infinite jumping Tails) are patched.
That's great news! Thank you.

Thanks Volcanic! I remember seeing or trying the Game Gear entries as a little kid when they were first out and I think they're part of what made me less interested in Sonic. Just the screen and field of view I think. I remember being amazed to see a handheld in color though. I'm definitely more interested in games you'd consider must-plays. At this point has Origins been patched to remove glitches?
Meant to respond to this sooner, but better late than never!

I've talked about it in the Origins thread, but most of the major glitches have been handled. It's not a perfect experience, but with the current sale, Sonic Origins is a solid official way to play the Genesis Sonic games in widescreen and with some enhancements. That being said, if you don't mind playing on PC primarily and know how to get the proper files, there are amazing fan versions of the classic Sonic games using decompilations of the mobile ports (or a S3K rom, in that game's case) as a base - the decompilation of Sonic CD, Sonic 1 Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, and Sonic 3 Angel Island Revisted. Most people will be served well with Origins, but for the ultimate bespoke versions of the games, go with those.

Sonic 1-3K + CD are all must plays, as is Sonic Mania. Beyond that, the quality of Sonic can be up and down and all around, so what people recommend can vary wildly. Here's some that I can say have good traits that are worth checking out, depending on your taste:
  • Sonic Adventure (Steam with the Better SADX model) - uneven but ambitious for its time. Amy and Big aren't very fun, but I enjoy Sonic & Tails as adaptations of the Genesis games, Knuckles for exploration with his move set, and Gamma has a great story and simple gameplay that's good enough.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Steam, GC is fine) - don't like it as much as others, but if you like ranking systems, then it's a tough but engaging 100%. 3 gameplay styles instead of 6 means it's more focused, even if the execution ain't perfect. Most of the game's controversial gameplay decisions come from supporting the rank systems (linear levels focused on execution, lots to aim at in shooting stages, worse radar encouraging memorizing hints for better performance in new playthroughs), and you can get a lot from it if you're dedicated.
  • Sonic Advance (GBA) - It's 2D Sonic on Game Boy Advance. Not as good as the classics but still solid, and it features a neat translation of Amy.
  • Sonic Rush (DS) - The beginning of the Boost style of game play, featuring Sonic and fan favorite Blaze. Amazing soundtrack, though the level design and bosses have a few hitches here and there.
  • Sonic Rush Adventure (DS) - The sequel to Rush with more friendly level design. Progression take a bit of a grind, though, which isn't fun.
  • Sonic Unleashed (Xbox Series backwards compatibility) - haven't played this one actually, but it has its fans. Be ready to have half of the gameplay be a beat em up!
  • Sonic Colors (Wii, the port on non-Switch is fine) - A slower take on the Boost formula with a greater focus on 2D sections and Wisp power ups. Notable for having you just control Sonic as himself the whole time, something that was pretty fresh for the time.
  • Sonic Generations (Steam or Xbox backwards compatibility) - Modern Sonic 3D and a decent enough Classic 2D Sonic go through remixed levels from games' past. Potentially the closest to a must play in this list.
I'm not as well versed in the spinoffs to rate those!

Thank you @VolcanicDynamo for the detailed downlow on those entries! For sure Origins and Mania are the two I've been keeping a close eye on with sales. I mostly game with my SO and the uberfast pace of parts of Sonic is a no-go for her, and then any solo gaming time tends to be pretty limited, especially with studying Japanese as my main solo hobby. I started Mega Man 3 in May for example and haven't quite finished it yet. We did both enjoy the Sonic movies a ton, though. That definitely increased my interest in trying the games after only testing demos like Lost World minimally in the past decade plus. I think I remember trying SA at a Target kiosk in 2000 or so and SA2+ on a GCN demo disc or something.

Anyway, Mania has stayed pretty firm at $9.99 at its lowest so I'll probably go for that soon, and I do have Generations I got on sale to play on XSS. So I'll keep Origins on my radar for a price drop and at this point I think I'll get to try at least one Sonic FRFR this calendar year.

Thanks again for all the info and I'll be sure to come back with impressions once I play one of these games!

Sonic amiibo, anyone? Surely I can’t be the only one who’s been waiting for this to happen! If only…
So what are some amiibo that we don’t have yet that ya’ll think are long overdue?

Aside from the obvious Pokémon amiibo cards, my vote would have to go to a series of Sonic the Hedgehog amiibo. WHY ISN’T THIS A THING YET?!

E5jFsJiVUAQZMnV

It’s bizarre to me that we have amiibo for third-party franchises like Shovel Knight, Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Mega Man, and Diablo, but somehow nothing for Sonic outside of the Super Smash Bros. amiibo. What’s up with that?! I’d have thought that a series of Sonic amiibo would be one of the first third-party amiibo series we get, but it’s been almost eight years now and SEGA has done absolutely nothing with amiibo. Like, c’mon, the Sonic series is perfect for its own line of amiibo, considering all the popular characters from the series. And Sonic games always sell best on Nintendo systems anyway, plus there are Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games like the Mario & Sonic series as well, so it’s not like there’s been any shortage of opportunities for SEGA to implement amiibo support in a Sonic game. But for whatever reason, SEGA just doesn’t seem interested in amiibo, and unfortunately it doesn’t look like things are changing anytime soon because if Sonic Frontiers was going to have amiibo support with a new series of Sonic amiibo, it’d surely have been revealed by now…

So yeah, I’m still hopelessly wishing for a series of Sonic amiibo to be released one day… Just give me a Tails amiibo at the very least, SEGA, please! =(

Sonic amiibo, anyone? Surely I can’t be the only one who’s been waiting for this to happen! If only…
As merch-happy as Sega is with the franchise, I actually am kinda surprised they haven't done that with Nintendo yet, now that you mention it.

Also, Tails for Smash ✌️

Eh, toys to life is a dead end, and amiibo soldiering on a bit because of its admittedly superior business model doesn't really change that.

Quoted by: Tye
Eh, toys to life is a dead end, and amiibo soldiering on a bit because of its admittedly superior business model doesn't really change that.
My main point was why hasn’t this happened by now?! Like, sure, we’re not getting as many new amiibo releases these days as we used to—though that hasn’t stopped other third-parties like Capcom from releasing new amiibo—but even years ago when amiibo were at their height SEGA refused to jump onboard and give us Sonic amiibo, when I feel like it should have been a no-brainer considering most of Sonic’s audience is on Nintendo systems and amiibo of various Sonic characters would sell super well.

It’s just bizarre to me that we have amiibo for stuff like Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Dark Souls, Diablo, and Shovel Knight, yet nothing for Sonic…

My main point was why hasn’t this happened by now?! Like, sure, we’re not getting as many new amiibo releases these days as we used to—though that hasn’t stopped other third-parties like Capcom from releasing new amiibo—but even years ago when amiibo were at their height SEGA refused to jump onboard and give us Sonic amiibo, when I feel like it should have been a no-brainer considering most of Sonic’s audience is on Nintendo systems and amiibo of various Sonic characters would sell super well.

It’s just bizarre to me that we have amiibo for stuff like Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Dark Souls, Diablo, and Shovel Knight, yet nothing for Sonic…

IIRC, Sonic Team was deep in some creative and technical troubles around that time (while everyone else with Sonic IP rights was doing splendid somehow), so they probably couldn't work with Nintendo as well as they could have.

Quoted by: Tye
IIRC, Sonic Team was deep in some creative and technical troubles around that time (while everyone else with Sonic IP rights was doing splendid somehow), so they probably couldn't work with Nintendo as well as they could have.
Even so, it wouldn’t have to be a Sonic Team thing. For one, Sonic Team wouldn’t be the ones tasked with actually manufacturing them (maybe they’d design them, but they wouldn’t necessarily have to be the ones to do that either, and I can’t imagine that taking up a significant amount of resources from SEGA), and when it comes to a game to launch them with for functionality, one of the Mario & Sonic games would have been perfect for that, or even something like Team Sonic Racing or Sonic Colors: Ultimate, none of which were developed by Sonic Team.

Like, if an indie-ish game like Shovel Knight can get a line of its own amiibo, or if Blizzard was allowed to turn an existing Diablo figure into an amiibo, SEGA of all companies should have no trouble putting out some Sonic amiibo if they actually wanted to. I mean, just look at Capcom with all their Monster Hunter (plus one Mega Man) amiibo!

I've been thinking: if Sonic '06 was released in these days of "release unfinished, finish later" GaaS, could Sega have officially finished the game instead of leaving it up to the fans?

I've been thinking: if Sonic '06 was released in these days of "release unfinished, finish later" GaaS, could Sega have officially finished the game instead of leaving it up to the fans?
I don't quite think so

Something was broken in that game right down to the level design. I didn't know how much internet hate there was about it when it came out and I was very excited, plus I wasn't very sensitive to load times back then and I was lucky enough to not really hit any glitches in my playthrough.

But I still didn't enjoy playing it.

I really just did not enjoy playing through those levels. I think a lot of the work that's been done by fans to fix a lot of the technical issues is awesome, inspiring, amazing, and I'm thrilled to see it. I just don't know if a bunch of DLC updates a la FFXV would have done much to fix what I think is a broken skeleton underneath.

I'm sorry Sonic Team, I still love you guys and am rooting for Frontiers to be rad as hell

I don't quite think so

Something was broken in that game right down to the level design. I didn't know how much internet hate there was about it when it came out and I was very excited, plus I wasn't very sensitive to load times back then and I was lucky enough to not really hit any glitches in my playthrough.

But I still didn't enjoy playing it.

I really just did not enjoy playing through those levels. I think a lot of the work that's been done by fans to fix a lot of the technical issues is awesome, inspiring, amazing, and I'm thrilled to see it. I just don't know if a bunch of DLC updates a la FFXV would have done much to fix what I think is a broken skeleton underneath.

I'm sorry Sonic Team, I still love you guys and am rooting for Frontiers to be rad as hell

I've actually seen quite a bit of people say that Sonic '06 had decent-at-worst level design despite the bad collisions and technical issues. Some have noted that P-06 doesn't really do much to change the inherent level design, while Forces Reimagined does.

I've actually seen quite a bit of people say that Sonic '06 had decent-at-worst level design despite the bad collisions and technical issues. Some have noted that P-06 doesn't really do much to change the inherent level design, while Forces Reimagined does.
I remember only really liking Kingdom Valley, but it wouldn't be the first time my opinion was in the minority. 😅

I fired up Sonic Colors for the first time today and I had no idea it skipped the intro cutscene, just drops you right into it. Basically unheard of for a 3D game lol

Having fun with it so far though

I've watched KingK's video on '06 that has been floating around so much. I am not a subscriber, but I knew the channel from recommendations.

While I do disagree with him in many points when comes to '06 as this game that had so much hidden potential to be the best 3D Sonic ever (not even P'06 proves his point, it just makes the game function properly, which is bare minimum), it was interesting seeing someone with a different perspective of the franchise that I have, sharing the exact same pessimism going forward lol

Yeah, I'm not down with anything shown in Frontiers so far. I think an Open World Sonic game wasn't needed, and even when accepting the proposal, I think they're doing it all wrong, not exploring the right things to make a "Sonic game" in the open environment (without mention the tone, the visuals all the other things that make me reject the idea). But his perspective is that Sonic distanced itself way too much of what he likes... which are the vibe and feel from Adventure 1 to '06. But for me, it's distant of what I used to like it too, which is the Classic titles (and that has been the case since Adventure 2, with attempts of bridging the new and classic styles so often that fell flat).

Either way, interesting essay; we end on different sides of the spectrum, but at least I sympathized with the feeling of not having anything to look forward with the franchise anymore; If at least we had the vague promise of a brand new 2D game like Mania... :\

I have completed precisely one 3D sonic game, but I am starting to feel the excitement for this one.

It seems like Frontiers is a game that Sonic Team wants to make, rather than something that was done out of fan requests. So, it can't appeal to everyone.
I mean.. did we twisted their arm to come up with something like Unleashed? perhaps Lost World? I think at max fan feedback nudged the direction of certain things (like how we got Colors after the day-time stages of Unleashed were praised); Shadow's game was the only one that feels batlantly made to appeal fan requests to give Sonic a gun.

I wish we had that much influence on Sonic Team;

Some of the new videos on Frontiers have imbued me with a little more confidence but I'm still not sure the linear sections are going to be particularly great. I hope Frontiers is good (I mean, I hope any video game is good) but it's definitely a "wait and see" for me.

I mean.. did we twisted their arm to come up with something like Unleashed? perhaps Lost World? I think at max fan feedback nudged the direction of certain things (like how we got Colors after the day-time stages of Unleashed were praised); Shadow's game was the only one that feels batlantly made to appeal fan requests to give Sonic a gun.

I wish we had that much influence on Sonic Team;
Iizuka has said on a few occasions that they take a lot of fan feedback into consideration when developing Sonic games. I remember he said Unleashed's central concept came from fans saying they wanted a Sonic game where you just play as Sonic, after "Sonic's friends" became a meme in the community. They needed a way to pad the gameplay out because of how fast you burn through the running stages, but wanted to stick to the fan request of "only playing as Sonic," thus the beat-em-up sections with Sonic transforming into a beast were born.

Plus the infamous story about Shadow that you mentioned.

And Forces seemed to me to be leaning into the Original The Character section of the fanbase.

Iizuka has said on a few occasions that they take a lot of fan feedback into consideration when developing Sonic games. I remember he said Unleashed's central concept came from fans saying they wanted a Sonic game where you just play as Sonic, after "Sonic's friends" became a meme in the community. They needed a way to pad the gameplay out because of how fast you burn through the running stages, but wanted to stick to the fan request of "only playing as Sonic," thus the beat-em-up sections with Sonic transforming into a beast were born.

Plus the infamous story about Shadow that you mentioned.

And Forces seemed to me to be leaning into the Original The Character section of the fanbase.
Sure, feedback is always in place somewhere; again, Colors was basically modeled after people wished there were just the Boost part of Unleashed, but as I said, it was always incremental things, except for Shadow..

But I don't buy it that Sonic Team is only now doing what they wanted. In fact, Frontiers looks more an immediate response of current trends (Open World games), so they can cash in while is still relevant, rather than a legit great idea that popped up.

Don't want to go too far on this tangent, but the game doesn't look any different of chasing the God of War and Devil May Cry audience with the Werehog back in the day.

Frontiers seems like a modern take on Sonic Adventure 1 except way more ambitious. The devs said its not because of open world trends, it's more of a desire to give the player more freedom and options.

Frontiers seems like a modern take on Sonic Adventure 1 except way more ambitious. The devs said its not because of open world trends, it's more of a desire to give the player more freedom and options.
If they really were inspired by Adventure 1 with Frontiers, then maybe it could be considered another fan feedback game because we've been begging for a new Adventure for years 🤣

Big the Cat is really getting a resurgence in the Sonic Franchise lately. After Heroes Sega pretty much abandoned him for the longest time. He wasn’t even in Generations and everyone was in Generations.

But now he’s appeared in a lot of stuff since Team Sonic Racing.

Big the Cat is really getting a resurgence in the Sonic Franchise lately. After Heroes Sega pretty much abandoned him for the longest time. He wasn’t even in Generations and everyone was in Generations.

But now he’s appeared in a lot of stuff since Team Sonic Racing.
I still credit Aaron Webber for it. He was constantly meme'ing Big during the official Sonic streams and events, and started the long-running push for a Big The Cat bodypillow that fans still bug the marketing people for to this day.

And after he took the director job at Sega HQ? Suddenly Big is featured in the next game and the new series.
8l84Le6.gif

fuck yes!

edit: moving over here

Okay, so I love Unleashed and Generations. Probably my favourite Sonic games.

I've been playing some Forces and Mania, and uh controversial I'm sure, but I really don't like either. I think I hate 2D Sonic games. I just never have fun. Sonic CD is the only 2D game I've liked.

Okay, so since Sonic Frontiers came out and we actually got a new Sonic game that respected the characters and lore again for the first time in ages, I’ve been on a Sonic lore kick, which inevitably brought me back to the frustration of the whole mess with Silver, Blaze, and Eggman Nega…so I decided to fix it myself! =P Here are my proposed timelines for Silver, Blaze, and Eggman Nega in an effort to make sense of all the mess:

FhymZ3iVQAA1eKI

Yeah, it’s a bit convoluted, but the whole situation was already a huge mess anyway, and this at least makes sense of it all! It’s also the only way I can really see Sonic ’06, Rush, and Rivals fitting together, despite them all being canon.

Happy Birthday to our boi!!!

FiGFqc8VQAAZyoS

Credit to @aogirinaru on the bird site

Last edited:
Sonic Mania is sub-50% off for the first time on Switch! I'm going to pick it up as my long-awaited entry into Sonic games.

"I wanna fly high"
I was playing Sonic Frontiers yesterday and thinking about Sonics interactions in the game. And Tails in particular is just so good in this game. I feel he is finally given the personal growth (or a contuniation of it) like we saw the start of in Sonic Adventure. Maybe this deserves its own thread, Sonic Froentiers has such great character and interactions, I love it.

Back
Top Bottom