Discussion The first official "Sonic The Hedgehog is a Great Franchise" thread

Red Monster

Rawr
Pronouns
He/Him
The 3DS/Wii U eShop thread has me thinking...apart from games included in Sonic Origins (since I plan to get that), are there any Sonic games on 3DS or Wii U that are must-plays for someone interested in getting into the series? (And I realize I've been saying this for ages but it just takes me forever to get to games...😅)
Were there any besides Lost World and Sonic Boom?

CyberWolfJV

I talk more about games than I play them
Pronouns
He/Him
Shattered Crystal and Fire & Ice could become harder to get physical.. Rise of Lyric is already expensive in the used market

Then there's also the M&S games (Rio 2016 on Wii U is super pricey);

I personally recommend Generations 3DS, as I quite enjoy the physics for Classic Sonic there, way more than the console versions.

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
Were there any besides Lost World and Sonic Boom?

Thanks - I thought there may be a bunch of eShop type games. Like Sega Ages releases and such. I've tried Lost World, one of the only Sonic games I've played, tried it years ago on Wii U and couldn't get into it.
Shattered Crystal and Fire & Ice could become harder to get physical.. Rise of Lyric is already expensive in the used market

Then there's also the M&S games (Rio 2016 on Wii U is super pricey);

I personally recommend Generations 3DS, as I quite enjoy the physics for Classic Sonic there, way more than the console versions.
Thanks, I'll check out Generations 3DS for sure. It's 2.5D?

CyberWolfJV

I talk more about games than I play them
Pronouns
He/Him
Thanks, I'll check out Generations 3DS for sure. It's 2.5D?
Yeah, Modern stages acts like a 4th Sonic Rush game, with a setpiece here and there trying to spice things out.

Back when it was new, I loved to play the online vs. mode; but I don't think there are many folks playing these days..

chocolate_supra

Must proceed at a high velocity #TeamDecade
Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
I read this in Mike's and Roger's voices. 😅

Xbk8yMQ.webp

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
The 3DS/Wii U eShop thread has me thinking...apart from games included in Sonic Origins (since I plan to get that), are there any Sonic games on 3DS or Wii U that are must-plays for someone interested in getting into the series? (And I realize I've been saying this for ages but it just takes me forever to get to games...😅)
Honestly? I don't know if I'd consider any of the 3DS/Wii U exclusive Sonic games "must-plays". Generations 3DS was neat but the console/PC version gets a higher recommendation, the 3DS Sonic Boom games are fine, the Wii U Sonic Boom game is...well, its reputation is well earned, and Lost World 3DS wasn't exactly loved, either. That leaves the Mario & Sonic games, which could be neat if you want mini games but aren't essential if you're getting into Sonic. And if you want to try Lost World Wii U in the future, it's on Steam.

The 3DS eShop does have Sonic's Game Gear library, if you were interested in playing his early portable adventures. They're probably not must-plays, but there's a couple of neat things buried in there. Been meaning to try Tails Adventure, a kinda Metroidvania-like title that's more traditional platformer in style.

Nabbit

Honestly? I don't know if I'd consider any of the 3DS/Wii U exclusive Sonic games "must-plays". Generations 3DS was neat but the console/PC version gets a higher recommendation, the 3DS Sonic Boom games are fine, the Wii U Sonic Boom game is...well, its reputation is well earned, and Lost World 3DS wasn't exactly loved, either. That leaves the Mario & Sonic games, which could be neat if you want mini games but aren't essential if you're getting into Sonic. And if you want to try Lost World Wii U in the future, it's on Steam.

The 3DS eShop does have Sonic's Game Gear library, if you were interested in playing his early portable adventures. They're probably not must-plays, but there's a couple of neat things buried in there. Been meaning to try Tails Adventure, a kinda Metroidvania-like title that's more traditional platformer in style.
Thanks Volcanic! I remember seeing or trying the Game Gear entries as a little kid when they were first out and I think they're part of what made me less interested in Sonic. Just the screen and field of view I think. I remember being amazed to see a handheld in color though. I'm definitely more interested in games you'd consider must-plays. At this point has Origins been patched to remove glitches?

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
At this point has Origins been patched to remove glitches?
Yes. I'm almost all the way through the story mode and have had very, very few issues. I remember running into a couple things where I was "huh, that's weird" but nothing game breaking and they were so minor I don't remember what they actually were. The glaring issues (like infinite jumping Tails) are patched.

Nabbit

Yes. I'm almost all the way through the story mode and have had very, very few issues. I remember running into a couple things where I was "huh, that's weird" but nothing game breaking and they were so minor I don't remember what they actually were. The glaring issues (like infinite jumping Tails) are patched.
That's great news! Thank you.

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
Thanks Volcanic! I remember seeing or trying the Game Gear entries as a little kid when they were first out and I think they're part of what made me less interested in Sonic. Just the screen and field of view I think. I remember being amazed to see a handheld in color though. I'm definitely more interested in games you'd consider must-plays. At this point has Origins been patched to remove glitches?
Meant to respond to this sooner, but better late than never!

I've talked about it in the Origins thread, but most of the major glitches have been handled. It's not a perfect experience, but with the current sale, Sonic Origins is a solid official way to play the Genesis Sonic games in widescreen and with some enhancements. That being said, if you don't mind playing on PC primarily and know how to get the proper files, there are amazing fan versions of the classic Sonic games using decompilations of the mobile ports (or a S3K rom, in that game's case) as a base - the decompilation of Sonic CD, Sonic 1 Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, and Sonic 3 Angel Island Revisted. Most people will be served well with Origins, but for the ultimate bespoke versions of the games, go with those.

Sonic 1-3K + CD are all must plays, as is Sonic Mania. Beyond that, the quality of Sonic can be up and down and all around, so what people recommend can vary wildly. Here's some that I can say have good traits that are worth checking out, depending on your taste:
  • Sonic Adventure (Steam with the Better SADX model) - uneven but ambitious for its time. Amy and Big aren't very fun, but I enjoy Sonic & Tails as adaptations of the Genesis games, Knuckles for exploration with his move set, and Gamma has a great story and simple gameplay that's good enough.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Steam, GC is fine) - don't like it as much as others, but if you like ranking systems, then it's a tough but engaging 100%. 3 gameplay styles instead of 6 means it's more focused, even if the execution ain't perfect. Most of the game's controversial gameplay decisions come from supporting the rank systems (linear levels focused on execution, lots to aim at in shooting stages, worse radar encouraging memorizing hints for better performance in new playthroughs), and you can get a lot from it if you're dedicated.
  • Sonic Advance (GBA) - It's 2D Sonic on Game Boy Advance. Not as good as the classics but still solid, and it features a neat translation of Amy.
  • Sonic Rush (DS) - The beginning of the Boost style of game play, featuring Sonic and fan favorite Blaze. Amazing soundtrack, though the level design and bosses have a few hitches here and there.
  • Sonic Rush Adventure (DS) - The sequel to Rush with more friendly level design. Progression take a bit of a grind, though, which isn't fun.
  • Sonic Unleashed (Xbox Series backwards compatibility) - haven't played this one actually, but it has its fans. Be ready to have half of the gameplay be a beat em up!
  • Sonic Colors (Wii, the port on non-Switch is fine) - A slower take on the Boost formula with a greater focus on 2D sections and Wisp power ups. Notable for having you just control Sonic as himself the whole time, something that was pretty fresh for the time.
  • Sonic Generations (Steam or Xbox backwards compatibility) - Modern Sonic 3D and a decent enough Classic 2D Sonic go through remixed levels from games' past. Potentially the closest to a must play in this list.
I'm not as well versed in the spinoffs to rate those!

Nabbit

Thank you @VolcanicDynamo for the detailed downlow on those entries! For sure Origins and Mania are the two I've been keeping a close eye on with sales. I mostly game with my SO and the uberfast pace of parts of Sonic is a no-go for her, and then any solo gaming time tends to be pretty limited, especially with studying Japanese as my main solo hobby. I started Mega Man 3 in May for example and haven't quite finished it yet. We did both enjoy the Sonic movies a ton, though. That definitely increased my interest in trying the games after only testing demos like Lost World minimally in the past decade plus. I think I remember trying SA at a Target kiosk in 2000 or so and SA2+ on a GCN demo disc or something.

Anyway, Mania has stayed pretty firm at $9.99 at its lowest so I'll probably go for that soon, and I do have Generations I got on sale to play on XSS. So I'll keep Origins on my radar for a price drop and at this point I think I'll get to try at least one Sonic FRFR this calendar year.

Thanks again for all the info and I'll be sure to come back with impressions once I play one of these games!

Tye

All-around Nintendo enjoyer
Pronouns
they/them
Sonic amiibo, anyone? Surely I can’t be the only one who’s been waiting for this to happen! If only…
So what are some amiibo that we don’t have yet that ya’ll think are long overdue?

Aside from the obvious Pokémon amiibo cards, my vote would have to go to a series of Sonic the Hedgehog amiibo. WHY ISN’T THIS A THING YET?!

E5jFsJiVUAQZMnV

It’s bizarre to me that we have amiibo for third-party franchises like Shovel Knight, Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Mega Man, and Diablo, but somehow nothing for Sonic outside of the Super Smash Bros. amiibo. What’s up with that?! I’d have thought that a series of Sonic amiibo would be one of the first third-party amiibo series we get, but it’s been almost eight years now and SEGA has done absolutely nothing with amiibo. Like, c’mon, the Sonic series is perfect for its own line of amiibo, considering all the popular characters from the series. And Sonic games always sell best on Nintendo systems anyway, plus there are Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games like the Mario & Sonic series as well, so it’s not like there’s been any shortage of opportunities for SEGA to implement amiibo support in a Sonic game. But for whatever reason, SEGA just doesn’t seem interested in amiibo, and unfortunately it doesn’t look like things are changing anytime soon because if Sonic Frontiers was going to have amiibo support with a new series of Sonic amiibo, it’d surely have been revealed by now…

So yeah, I’m still hopelessly wishing for a series of Sonic amiibo to be released one day… Just give me a Tails amiibo at the very least, SEGA, please! =(

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Sonic amiibo, anyone? Surely I can’t be the only one who’s been waiting for this to happen! If only…
As merch-happy as Sega is with the franchise, I actually am kinda surprised they haven't done that with Nintendo yet, now that you mention it.

Also, Tails for Smash ✌️

Top Bottom