• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The first official "Sonic The Hedgehog is a Great Franchise" thread

I love Sonic. The Genesis, CD and Mania titles are pure love for me. I really love Adventure 1 & 2 as well. Heroes was enjoyable at the time but after that I could do no more. I kept buying and I kept trying but it was all for naught. When Forces released it was the first time I just didn't buy the latest Sonic title.

Look at this video here. This is the direction I hope Sonic takes at some point. The potential just seems limitless!

I agree, it's a great franchise. I don't think that's ever been in question, or at least it shouldn't have been.

What the real discussion should be is how well-managed the franchise is and... well... that's harder to debate positively.

Sonic strikes me as a great franchise that was strong enough conceptually that it has been able to survive several misfires, surviving in spite of a string of bad ideas and poor execution that few other franchises could weather. And I respect the hell out of that.

I agree, it's a great franchise. I don't think that's ever been in question, or at least it shouldn't have been.

What the real discussion should be is how well-managed the franchise is and... well... that's harder to debate positively.

Sonic strikes me as a great franchise that was strong enough conceptually that it has been able to survive several misfires, surviving in spite of a string of bad ideas and poor execution that few other franchises could weather. And I respect the hell out of that.
It's incredible how Sonic as a character and a brand have endured the hit-and-miss excecution and reception of the modern games. I personally haven't really liked a 3D Sonic since Generations, (and even that one I don't like as much as Adventure), but every time I see him on a shirt or backpack I smile. And the sassy, ridiculous social media presence that Aaron Webber created managed to modernize the extremely 90s idea of "Sonic is the one with an attitude," to the point where some fans were enjoying Sonic as this ubiquitous media presence more so than the games themselves. It's kind of amazing that it's survived this far. There's this sense that however the execution and reception may ebb and flow, the team (on both sides of the pond) at least sincerely cares about the character and franchise. So I give them the benefit of the doubt every time.

Sonic games were a huge part of my childhood. Played the Mega Drive ones more time than I can count. Played them a bunch as an adult as well, but I've slowly steered away from the series in the last few years. Weirdly enough, I think Mania was so good that I stopped revisiting the old games since then.

Never liked the 3D games, though. Gave them fair shots many times. Haven't liked a single one.

Anyway, everyone in this thread should play Freedom Planet.
header.jpg

There's a mode that skips the story entirely. And yes, that's important.

Sonic games were a huge part of my childhood. Played the Mega Drive ones more time than I can count. Played them a bunch as an adult as well, but I've slowly steered away from the series in the last few years. Weirdly enough, I think Mania was so good that I stopped revisiting the old games since then.

Never liked the 3D games, though. Gave them fair shots many times. Haven't liked a single one.

Anyway, everyone in this thread should play Freedom Planet.
header.jpg

There's a mode that skips the story entirely. And yes, that's important.
Freedom Planet rocks, I played it on WiiU years ago and I'm waiting very impatiently for the sequel. ❤️

I have a kind of weird confession, I enjoy the Sonic cartoons more then most of the games. I love the characters so I get into the shows. Sonic Boom had me rolling at times. I do enjoy some Sonic games though. The originals and quite a few spin off games are awesome. Mania is fantastic. But in the end, I just want more Sonic Boom episodes.

I have a kind of weird confession, I enjoy the Sonic cartoons more then most of the games. I love the characters so I get into the shows. Sonic Boom had me rolling at times. I do enjoy some Sonic games though. The originals and quite a few spin off games are awesome. Mania is fantastic. But in the end, I just want more Sonic Boom episodes.
Sonic Boom (the show) is waaaaaaay better than it should have been. I still can't hardly believe that misguided spin-off game ended up giving us the best Sonic adaptation since SatAM. Have you heard about Sonic Prime? I've got high hopes for that series.

Sonic Boom (the show) is waaaaaaay better than it should have been. I still can't hardly believe that misguided spin-off game ended up giving us the best Sonic adaptation since SatAM. Have you heard about Sonic Prime? I've got high hopes for that series.
I've heard of Sonic Prime, but I don't know much about it, if even much is known. After Boom though, I too have high hopes. I've honestly enjoyed most of the cartoons, and even got a kick out of the movie. One thing's for sure, I'll be watching Prime when it's out.

I've heard of Sonic Prime, but I don't know much about it, if even much is known. After Boom though, I too have high hopes. I've honestly enjoyed most of the cartoons, and even got a kick out of the movie. One thing's for sure, I'll be watching Prime when it's out.
All I really know about Sonic Prime off the top of my head is that it'll involve the multiverse, and that Ian Flynn, writer for the IDW comics (and the good run of the Archie comics before it's cancelation), is a consultant.

Ooh, just checked it's IMDB page, and it's got what looks like concept art!

All I really know about Sonic Prime off the top of my head is that it'll involve the multiverse, and that Ian Flynn, writer for the IDW comics (and the good run of the Archie comics before it's cancelation), is a consultant.

Ooh, just checked it's IMDB page, and it's got what looks like concept art!
Oh wow, very cool! That's a good find. This is sounding pretty good to me!

Freedom Planet rocks, I played it on WiiU years ago and I'm waiting very impatiently for the sequel. ❤️
I had played the PC demo years ago and played the first two stages on the Wii U last week. I'm honestly impressed on how good it is. The flow, mobility, abilities and level design all mesh together very beautifully. It's a game I can see anyone playing.

The one-two punch of the Sonic 2 Movie trailer and Frontiers trailer has put me in a very sonic-y mood lately. I just re-red the first two arcs of the IDW comic series (which is excellent), and now I'm currently wishing Sega would release the Sonic Advance games on Switch.

For as much as I make fun of the blue blur. I always cherish the games I grew up playing. To this day I still love them too!

Played and finished Lost World and i thought that with one more year of development it oculd have been the best 3D game in the franchise by a large margin.

It's a pitty how "budget" Sonic games were at that time, Sonic 06 made incredible damage to the franchise.

There is a video on The Geek Critique called "The Icon in Ruin" (previously "A Legacy in Ruin"), which basically concluded that Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) caused not only a broken reputation in the current game and future games, it also broken the reputation of past games (except maybe the Genesis games that are more or less universally praised). It's true that Sonic is still considered a joke for some people, but he's also pretty resilient because despite that game's infamous quality, he's still going strong.

Thank you for reading.

The one-two punch of the Sonic 2 Movie trailer and Frontiers trailer has put me in a very sonic-y mood lately. I just re-red the first two arcs of the IDW comic series (which is excellent), and now I'm currently wishing Sega would release the Sonic Advance games on Switch.
Despite being a big fan of Sonic since the early days, I've never actually read the comics. I've considered the IDW series since it seems to be a fresh start. I see they have compilation books of the earliest issues so I might check those out.

Despite being a big fan of Sonic since the early days, I've never actually read the comics. I've considered the IDW series since it seems to be a fresh start. I see they have compilation books of the earliest issues so I might check those out.

Also has a good amount of content at 60 volumes now.

Heroes and Colors Ultimate are odd inclusions in the OP?

Heroes is a bright spot nostalgically for me, but I haven't heard many look back on it favorably.

Colors Ultimate is a failure of a port when it should have been an easy win. Especially laughing next to SMB Banana Mania, it was laughable. I'm aware it has been patched since, but it still has basic issues and feels sloppy.

There is a video on The Geek Critique called "The Icon in Ruin" (previously "A Legacy in Ruin"), which basically concluded that Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) caused not only a broken reputation in the current game and future games, it also broken the reputation of past games (except maybe the Genesis games that are more or less universally praised). It's true that Sonic is still considered a joke for some people, but he's also pretty resilient because despite that game's infamous quality, he's still going strong.

Thank you for reading.
it's because as a character he's very much timeless tbh. he's a cool hedgehog that can be both cute and edgy and cool.

his games can be all ass, he'll always have fans because he's a cool hedgehog.

compared to the other "mascots" of the time, sonic always wins baby

Master System Sonic > Mega Drive Sonic

Mega Drive Sonic is great for the first few acts, then rapidly diminishes in quality as the game goes on. Master System Sonic is a solid, momentum-based platformer that does a much better job of balancing speed with interesting platforming challenges. You can go fast while still taking time in levels to enjoy collecting rings and finding collectibles.

Didn’t see this thread before, so I’ll add my two cents.

Was a Sega kid, however Sonic was never one of my fave Sega series. I really loved Sonic CD, however, and before that enjoyed the heck out of 2 on the Genesis.

Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast were awesome games. And like, they both got almost universal great reviews with the only complaints really being some of the friends you can play as and how the level don’t really work well for them.

Now fast forward and everybody acts like they’re trash? Don’t get it.

The Sonic pal levels I can understand, as reviewers rightfully criticized those parts. But playing as Sonic or Shadow? My god, that was amazing. It was a runner game before runner games were a thing, and it was great replaying levels to see how well you could do a run from start to finish, and do tricks.

So that’s where I am at. Adventure 1 and 2 were great. Also, the chao garden Nini game was fun.

Didn’t see this thread before, so I’ll add my two cents.

Was a Sega kid, however Sonic was never one of my fave Sega series. I really loved Sonic CD, however, and before that enjoyed the heck out of 2 on the Genesis.

Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast were awesome games. And like, they both got almost universal great reviews with the only complaints really being some of the friends you can play as and how the level don’t really work well for them.

Now fast forward and everybody acts like they’re trash? Don’t get it.

The Sonic pal levels I can understand, as reviewers rightfully criticized those parts. But playing as Sonic or Shadow? My god, that was amazing. It was a runner game before runner games were a thing, and it was great replaying levels to see how well you could do a run from start to finish, and do tricks.

So that’s where I am at. Adventure 1 and 2 were great. Also, the chao garden Nini game was fun.
Yessssssss moar Adventure love

Master System Sonic > Mega Drive Sonic

Mega Drive Sonic is great for the first few acts, then rapidly diminishes in quality as the game goes on. Master System Sonic is a solid, momentum-based platformer that does a much better job of balancing speed with interesting platforming challenges. You can go fast while still taking time in levels to enjoy collecting rings and finding collectibles.
Sonic 1 8-bit and Triple Trouble are indeed what I'd call some of Sonic's best games.

And that Yuzo Koshiro OST in the former...how did they not get that guy back for any other games in the series?

Heroes and Colors Ultimate are odd inclusions in the OP?

Heroes is a bright spot nostalgically for me, but I haven't heard many look back on it favorably.

Colors Ultimate is a failure of a port when it should have been an easy win. Especially laughing next to SMB Banana Mania, it was laughable. I'm aware it has been patched since, but it still has basic issues and feels sloppy.

Many don't look favorably on Heroes and they are wrong. Colors Ultimate was just to include Colors in the OP lol.

Is this a joke thread? Sonic is one of the worst franchise ever.
Not a joke in the slightest, dude. Sonic's had his ups and downs and all arounds, true, but there's still so much to love and enjoy about the Sonic series. If you're coming into this thread with that kind of attitude though...just try not to be toxic with it, I guess?

I just watched the Sonic movie and it was so good. Does this go in here? idk but now I'm legit hyped for the second one

Just ordered that Sonic Lego set this morning, and I’m genuinely excited for Frontiers and the new movie.

Also, I’d pay top dollar for a remaster of Heroes on current hardware. Love that game.

It literally looks like the same screenshot, just blurred and with stuff sloppily pasted on top
Actually... yeah. That's weird. So that seems to debunk that but.. I remember reading that leak back around summer of last year, so was that screenshot a recent thing with a repost or something maybe?

If someone can leak a clean, non-blurry screenshot of a Super Smash Bros. newcomer:

63479_02_super-smash-bros-ultimate-leak-ken-actually-confirmed_full.jpg

Then a clean Sonic leak should be child's play.

Damn that art looks baller
However mixed the quality of the games might be, everything else Sega does surrounded Sonic tends to be pretty good. They commission great promo art and goofy products and stuff they put together are pretty rad. It's one of those things where Sonic is functioning better now as a brand than as a game.

Are we mature enough to admit that Sonic Lost Worlds had a LOT of good stuff? Granted, some of the levels were atrocious and the bosses were ridiculous, but that game wasn't far from greatness!
Lost World is weird. I was hyped because the trailers made me think of Sonic X-Treme, and the first level was good and interesting, and then I didn't like anything else. Which I don't say to bash it, I say it because it's an oddity. It felt to me like there was some sort of change in design philosophy after just the first level, and that's.. really strange.

Lost World is weird. I was hyped because the trailers made me think of Sonic X-Treme, and the first level was good and interesting, and then I didn't like anything else. Which I don't say to bash it, I say it because it's an oddity. It felt to me like there was some sort of change in design philosophy after just the first level, and that's.. really strange.

For me what kind of ruins the game are the 2D levels which are mostly shit and the change of pace levels. The 3D normal levels weren't exactly perfect, but there were some good ideas and an iteration could have resulted in a legit great game. The design idea is sound. Make Sonic go fast (not too fast) in a somewhat linear space that isn't a corridor. Make him go around something instead of through something!

Back
Top Bottom