• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Famiboards While We Wait For The Direct Backlog Challenge [ENDED: Summary posted]

Currently working on Ys IX on Switch, Ratchet and Clank on PS5, and on the tail end of Kirby. If I can finish those before Xenoblade 3 is released, I will feel content.

I played through Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon last night. Pretty fun game. I'll probably replay it a few times in the future. I really enjoyed the first 7 stages but I did not care for the last one at all, and I thought the final boss was underwhelming and annoying. Either way, fun game.

I actually managed to play through Wuppo and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, so that's nice. I didn't actually realize Curse of the Moon is only 2 hours long though lol. Still, nice to actually shave off two games from my backlog before the AI: The Somnium Files sequel tomorrow.

Made it to about 50% in both Remembrance & Destruction in 13 s
Sentinels yesterday.

Game is sooo good. I can't wait to get back into it today

I wanted to start nirvanA Initiative as soon as I woke up but obviously Steam hasn't release it yet... Do you know at what time does Steam release game? It didn't even let me preload so I'm a bit pissed tbh. I don't have a good internet connection so I doubt I'll be able to play before tomorrow if Steam doesn't release it soon... (it's already 7 am here)

Anyway I think that I'll start Red's route in Taisho x Alice episode 1 then. I have only to play that one and a route is about ~6 hours, so I should be able to play all of it before nirvanA Initiative comes out at this point.

I wanted to start nirvanA Initiative as soon as I woke up but obviously Steam hasn't release it yet... Do you know at what time does Steam release game? It didn't even let me preload so I'm a bit pissed tbh. I don't have a good internet connection so I doubt I'll be able to play before tomorrow if Steam doesn't release it soon... (it's already 7 am here)

Anyway I think that I'll start Red's route in Taisho x Alice episode 1 then. I have only to play that one and a route is about ~6 hours, so I should be able to play all of it before nirvanA Initiative comes out at this point.
Should be unlocking in 8-9 hours (9AM or 10AM PST), from what I've read. Same issue with a rough internet connection here, so it's looking like I'll be starting it Saturday instead.

Should be unlocking in 8-9 hours (9AM or 10AM PST), from what I've read. Same issue with a rough internet connection here, so it's looking like I'll be starting it Saturday instead.
🥲 that’s sad
I hope I’ll be able to play it after dinner, otherwise I’ll play tomorrow 🥲

Darksiders Genesis - 70%
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - 40%

Progressed a bit with Genesis, havnt played Ruined King.

Positive I will beat Genesis, not so sure with Ruined King as I leave for vacation next saturday and wont be back until post the supposed direct.
Might exchange it for Turtles, which has been in my to play list ever since it was announced so I guess it's currently in my backlog to :p

Darksiders Genesis - 100%
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - 49%

Beat Darksiders with a friend in co-op and suprisingly, it was a very great game.
Lots of funny dialogue, action heavy diablo-ish game.
Highly recommend in co op!

Progressed a bit on Ruined King, but will leave for vacation tomorrow so unlikely I will be able to beat it.. but will bring my Lite if theres any down time

Oh dang, I read 12PM, but forgot to check if it was ET or PST or whatever it was. Thought it was GMT. Ah well..

I've managed to beat this past week both TLOZ 1 and 2, and let me say... yes, Zelda II is considered a hard game, but OH MY second quest on 1 was tougher. Just for comparison sake, I've beaten both on the regular quest and second quest/NG+ - it was the second time I played Zelda 2, this time without any rewind via the G&W, and the... fifth? playthrough of Zelda 1's 1st quest, first ever of 2nd quest.

Number of deaths:

Zelda II - Normal game: 75 deaths | NG+: 4 deaths
TLOZ - 1st quest: 23 deaths | 2nd quest: 101 deaths

Anyway, time to start Star Fox I & II ! I'm not really feeling them, but I want to give them an honest try.

Neat, this is a good challenge and could help with a problem of mine.
I have 3 games on the verge of completion but I couldn't make it because of... life I suppose. And the kids take the Switch all the time too. If the next one doesn't get announced I will really have too take an OLED.

The three games are:
Paper Mario TOK 98%
METROID Dread 100% but ...
Hollow Knight 105%

I have to take the final boss down in all three.
Yeah, I know, a bit shameful. I decided to make it since last week
, had already some take at Hollow Knight and am before the last door in TOK. So this challenge is a blessing.
I vow solemnly to beat the three on to a pulp until next week Wednesday.

UPDATE!

Complete:
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus (100%): I did it! Caught all Pokémon and now it’s time to move on. I liked the game despite some undercooked things.

In Progress:
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (0%): Haven’t touched it yet, but I’m sure I can finish it in one afternoon this weekend.
  • Yoku's Island Express (20%) Kirby and the Forgotten Land (10%): Decided to change this and went for Kirby. Loving the game so far, it’s so charming!

I finished my second game of the challenge, Fire Emblem Awakening! Just in time too, since hopefully my LE of Ai NirvanA Initiative should arrive tomorrow! I’m very happy I finally played through a mainline Fire Emblem game. Overall I liked it a lot, though I did cool on it a bit in my last few sessions (which contributed to my lack of updates these last few days). I felt the maps got a bit repetitive as the game went on as the more clever maps seemed more front loaded. It felt like waves of the same goons over and over again and my winning strategies seemed set by that point. I don’t know if I was super into the story, but it definitely had its big moments and plenty of cool cutscenes. I did like the main characters, but I guess because permadeath is a thing, it was a shame most of my army was MIA for most cutscenes. I would have liked to see more of them beyond the few support conversations I had. (Some of my favorite characters to use sadly weren’t very friendly) I did enjoy during the credits you got short notes about what everyone went on to do afterwards. That was great!

Anyway, those were just some of my top level thoughts and my praise in past posts still stands. I’m definitely still processing it, so I’ll probably make a big post in the RPG thread tomorrow or the next day. Despite ending cooler on it then I started, I’m eager to play another Fire Emblem game relatively soon.

Anyway thanks again @Irene for having the backlog challenge! It was a lot of fun sharing updates here and seeing others enjoy some cool games. I won’t be adding anymore games myself with Ai 2 here, but I’m excited to keep following the thread until the challenge ends! I’m glad I had a good reason to finally sit down and clear my first Fire Emblem game. The challenge made it extra memorable :)

Finished Rainswept. It was mediocre.

Think I'm done with the challenge. I finished one game, which was one more than I expected to finish.

well
um
oops

I accidentally 100%ed Toree 2 in one sitting tonight

I genuinely didn't mean to! But the levels are so tight and the controls really flow when you get used to them and I saw unlockable characters so I just kept replaying until I A-ranked every stage and collected every star because I wanted to see who all the characters are and I unlocked a sentient bowl of ramen that runs really fast and holy goddamn shit this game is great

Already put 9.5 hours into nirvanA Initiative between yesterday night and today. I don't know if I'll play more after dinner or if I'll just stop for today and I'll do something else.

Loving the game so far.

I'm in the evening of Day 3 in Disco Elysium, deep enough to know that this is a very, very special game.

Since last week's check in was early Sunday, here's my update for this week!

I have now finished Dragon Quest V, which was the big goal for me this week! I also am done with FF7 Intermission.

Intermission was kinda weird for me, but it was a fun time. DQV, on the other hand, was mint. For a JRPG from 1992 it's really well done. Tons of poignant story beats and great characters. I also loved the monster catching aspect.

I also achieved my goal in Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, which was to unlock NiGHTS, so I'm going to consider that one done for the purposes of this challenge! (You don't really finish kart racers, after all, and that was my main goal with it.)

I picked up three new games-- Fire Emblem Three Hopes, Mail Mole (won a free copy through a Twitter contest), and Sonic Origins. I do not expect I'll finish any of them before June 28/29, but, they're what I'll be playing until the end of this challenge.

So here's a summary of my challenge thus far

FINISHED GAMES
Cuphead-- finished during week 1
We Love Katamari-- finished during week 1
FFVII Remake: Intermission-- finished during week 2
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed-- personal goal met during week 2
Dragon Quest V-- finished during week 2

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Mail Mole
Fire Emblem: Three Hopes
Sonic Origins (8% through the story mode)

I do not expect to beat the last three games I'm playing by Tuesday/Wednesday but I'll definitely check in for the last update!

Steamworld Quest update!

I'm on to Act 3, chapter 11? I'm in the Cursed City and trying to keep the entire party around the same levels. The last party member I got is a twin group pairing, they're versatile in how you decks can be set up. Might not ever take them off tbh.

Hope I can get the game completed by tomorrow night.

Starting Torre 2 now!!

And the music immediately sounds like it's mimicking the GENESIS sound chip.

Nice.
I only saw this because @bixente just Yeah!ed it, but I did not mean to type "Genesis" in all caps. My phone must've automatically done it? For some reason?

Which is weird because it doesn't capitalize "Nintendo."

I guess Genesis really does do what Nintendon't.

Second check-up
Okay, so the second check-up is here!

Below is the reported progress in the thread from members, from the first check-up until now.

Irene

AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA initiative - 7 hours

smoothies

Disco Elysium - Day 3
Kirby's Dream Land 3 - COMPLETE

Mbolibombo

Darksiders Genesis - COMPLETE
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - 49%

Josh5890
Fire Emblem Warriors - COMPLETE

DexterBear
Toree 3D - COMPLETE
Toree 2 - COMPLETE
Neptunia X SENRAN KAGURA: Ninja Wars - Around 10%

Pflaumenmus12
Elden Ring - 26-28h into the game

Thunder84
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 85%
Shin Megami Tensei V - 3%
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 20%
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes - 10%

Jahranimo
Steamword Quest - Chapter 11

Apophenac
Rainswept - COMPLETE

Dragoncaine

Earthbound - COMPLETE

ermitron2

Resident Evil 4 - COMPLETE

Ojoloco

Persona 5 Strikers - 30 hours

Catalyst
Crash 4 - COMPLETE

Estew

Guardians of the Galaxy - COMPLETE
Ys 8 - Wrapped up the second chapter

Hoagmaster
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - COMPLETE

xghost777

Fire Emblem Awakening - COMPLETE

ITSMILNER

Day’s Gone - COMPLETE

TheWolvesDen

Kirby Super Star - COMPLETE

lightning16

Wuppo - COMPLETE
Bloodstained: Curse of the Mood - COMPLETE

frog

Arkham Origins - COMPLETE

Wockio

The World Ends With You - 40% at 70 hours
Pokémon Legends: Arceus (15%)

chocolate_supra
Aggelos - COMPLETE
Toree 2 - COMPLETE

Hoagmaster

Resident Evil 4 - COMPLETE

WhyS

Policenauts - COMPLETE

SofyTrancy

Higurashi 8 - COMPLETE
AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA initiative - 9.5 hours

Rainbow
Crysis - Level 2

Gengar
Luigi’s Mansion 3 - COMPLETE

Lovecatt

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 50%

Subrosian Link
The Legend of Zelda - COMPLETE
Zelda II; The Adventure of Link - COMPLETE

Heruderu

Pokémon Legends: Arceus - COMPLETE
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 10%

Nmanic
FFVII Remake: Intermission - COMPLETE
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed - Personal goal met during week 2
Dragon Quest V - COMPLETE

A lot of effort and progress this week, I'm proud of you!

Huge congrats to @smoothies @Mbolibombo @Josh5890 @DexterBear @Apopheniac @Dragoncaine @ermitron2 @Catalyst @Estew @Hoagmaster @xghost777 @ITSMILNER @TheWolvesDen @lightning16 @frog @chocolate_supra @WhyS @SofyTrancy @Gengar @Subrosian Link @Heruderu and @Nmanic for completing some games this week.

Let's hear it for them!

And see y’all early next week for the summary!

I don't do backlogs anymore.

Chad meme tax:

World-Data-Locator-Map-Chad.jpg

Am I doing it right?

SURPRISE YALL

After finishing Toree 2 I've decided to add another game to my challenge list!!

And that game is:
Toree 1

gonna be honest with you guys.... I uninstalled Elden Ring today because I didn't have fun with it anymore... also it ran like crap on my PC.
Consider my existence a failure.

gonna be honest with you guys.... I uninstalled Elden Ring today because I didn't have fun with it anymore... also it ran like crap on my PC.
Consider my existence a failure.
When we were in the theater for Elvis last night a commercial for Elden Ring came up on the big screen and I leaned over and said to my dad "That's the absolute biggest game in the world right now. And I don't give a crap about it." And he bellowed with laughter harder than I've heard in a while.

I DID IT YALL
KqT65W5_d.webp

Fully levelled, got the ultimate equipment.. I mean, I wasn't going for 100% but now that I see they were tracking percentages and I see how close I was I kinda wish I had found that last heart container 😒
Congrats!! Nice job! 🥳🎉 Maybe with a map online you can see where the remaining heart container is 😀

Congrats!! Nice job! 🥳🎉 Maybe with a map online you can see where the remaining heart container is 😀
Thankyooooouuuu!!
I thought about that but the problem is I wouldn't know which ones I did and didn't get so I'd still have to revisit the whole map. 😅

I'm currently playing Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous but taking my sweet time with it.

Say, without giving any spoilers or giving little away (except for what may be interesting or perhaps preliminary info), is Gamedec any good?

I'm actually glad I played the games in this order. Toree 2 was way easier than Toree 1 for some reason.

Okay, that's both Toree 2 and Toree 3D down!!
I didn't go for 100% A rank on Toree 3D because some of those stages have platforms you have to wait for and no matter what I do or how fast I go, they add too many seconds and I can't get into A times. But hey, I rolled credits and I don't think these games go by DQXI or Nier rules soooo 👍

UPDATE!

Complete:
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus (100%): I did it! Caught all Pokémon and now it’s time to move on. I liked the game despite some undercooked things.

In Progress:
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (0%): Haven’t touched it yet, but I’m sure I can finish it in one afternoon this weekend.
  • Yoku's Island Express (20%) Kirby and the Forgotten Land (10%): Decided to change this and went for Kirby. Loving the game so far, it’s so charming!
Complete:
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus (100%)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (100%): Just finished the main story, saw the credits. I’m still gonna play more, but for the purpose of this challenge, it’s complete! Such a wonderful game, might I add!

In Progress:
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (0%): Let’s see if I can do it, now!

As of 5:15am ET this morning, Earthbound is complete! What an incredible game, I'm sad it's over but happy to be moving on.

Next up - Star Fox 64, followed by XenoblaDE's final two bosses, followed by MAYBE Octo Expansion
Update!

Star Fox 64 - COMPLETE
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - COMPLETE (New Game+ unlocked)

Now I gotta figure out whether I tackle Octo Expansion or Tunic next before the Direct. Definitely not likely to beat either of the games before it airs, but I can get started at least. Then, I've decided I'm picking up both Live A Live and Xenoblade 3 in July to last me until I maybe pick up Splatoon 3 - possibly even longer if I hear the game is just Splatoon 2.5.

Update!

Star Fox 64 - COMPLETE
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - COMPLETE (New Game+ unlocked)

Now I gotta figure out whether I tackle Octo Expansion or Tunic next before the Direct. Definitely not likely to beat either of the games before it airs, but I can get started at least. Then, I've decided I'm picking up both Live A Live and Xenoblade 3 in July to last me until I maybe pick up Splatoon 3 - possibly even longer if I hear the game is just Splatoon 2.5.
I like every single thing mentioned in this post

I like every single thing mentioned in this post
Ayyyyy haha what can I say, I'm staying busy. I'm thrilled to support the Live A Live devs, Xeno 3 is a no-brainer, I got about an hour into Tunic on game pass and had to take a break so I'll just start over, and then Octo Expansion can definitely be completed as a palette cleanser between my two lengthy JRPGs. Oh, and assuming Rabbids is an August game, that'll be a nice change of pace too. So despite being disappointed in the likelihood of a Partner Direct, I'm actually not wanting for games this summer!

Ayyyyy haha what can I say, I'm staying busy. I'm thrilled to support the Live A Live devs, Xeno 3 is a no-brainer, I got about an hour into Tunic on game pass and had to take a break so I'll just start over, and then Octo Expansion can definitely be completed as a palette cleanser between my two lengthy JRPGs. Oh, and assuming Rabbids is an August game, that'll be a nice change of pace too. So despite being disappointed in the likelihood of a Partner Direct, I'm actually not wanting for games this summer!
SAME. The whole reason I was excited for this thread was because I have so many games I need to get through that I almost wish the release schedule would slow down a tad. 😅 Don't tell anyone I said this but it's actually a bit of a relief to me that BotW2 was pushed back a little. 🤫

Well.....I should have Steamworld Quest completed by tonight, I'm in the final gauntlet of "boss rush + fighting shadow versions of my party members a la Dark Link".

Okay folks, given some unforeseen personal circumstances - not to mention not expecting the Direct to air as early as it's going to do - I'm going to have to move the summary to later that day, to the evening. Sorry about this.

The summary of the challenge itself will now be posted somewhere between 8PM-9PM CEST. Which mean that I don't see much reason to set a deadline an hour before the Direct.

The summary is a compilation of all the participants reported goals and progress, as well as your respective diplomas and medals.

So the deadline for the challenge will be the moment the Direct gets uploaded.

Keep this in mind :)

Finished nirvanA Initiative!!
I loved it but tbh I prefer the first game overall
Date and Aiba >>> Ryuki and Tama >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[…]>> Mizuki and Aiba

Steamworld Quest Hand of Gilgamech is complete! One day I may do a NG+ but wow that was fun.

I finished my two games before the Direct (Mini lol) Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom