• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Famiboards While We Wait For The Direct Backlog Challenge [ENDED: Summary posted]

I haven’t played a lot because I spent most of my time writing last week, but I finished chapter 3 of TMS. I’m thinking about playing Higurashi all afternoon today (and so I’ll probably finish this between today and tomorrow)

Also, I want to add Ai the Somnium Files -nirvanA Initiative- to the list since I’ll buy it at day1 on steam (next Friday)

I'm in!

Gunning for 2 games - but could the check up be on sundays instead? Saturdays are basically the only day I can game for more than some hour or so :p

Darksiders Genesis - 48%
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - 40%

I've at least got a decent chance of beating one of those :>

Darksiders Genesis - 70%
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - 40%

Progressed a bit with Genesis, havnt played Ruined King.

Positive I will beat Genesis, not so sure with Ruined King as I leave for vacation next saturday and wont be back until post the supposed direct.
Might exchange it for Turtles, which has been in my to play list ever since it was announced so I guess it's currently in my backlog to :p

I played a good deal of Fire Emblem Awakening today. I just cleared chapter 8 I believe which is decently beyond where I previously reached (the infamous Nowi just joined my army). I’m happy to say I’m officially invested now and I’m also getting better at the game where I rarely lose a character each map. I’m certainly playing it less than ideally as I keep rotating characters out, but I guess that’s the fun of casual mode. My army is getting quite large so I might start sticking with some favorites soon. Not sure if I’m really enjoying the story or not yet (there’s definitely some cool cutscenes), but I am largely enjoying the gameplay. Excited to play more tomorrow!

Good Morning. I should finish Fire Emblem Warriors today. I played a ton yesterday and I only have a few chapters left.

Chapter 12 is a P.I.T.A

I am going to drop Atelier Ryza 2 from my backlog challenge and swap in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. I forget Atelier was Japanese language only and a game that large is too hard to focus on and read with a new born. Pokémon is more mindless.

Update on my end:
Toree 3D - 5 levels of 9 (100% stars walkthrough)
Toree 2 - Not started yet
Neptunia X SENRAN KAGURA: Ninja Wars - Around 10%

Okay, decided to try this.

• Pokémon Legends Arceus (70%): I want to catch Arceus by then. I've already finished all main story requests, but now I'll need to catch all Pokémon.
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (0%): I've been meaning to play this game for some time, and it's a short game so I think I can do it!
  • Yoku's Island Express (20%): Maybe I'm being too ambitious, because I'll only try to finish this one if I finish the previous two xD

My miniscule Elden Ring update:

I still have probably 2-3 more legacy dungeons to beat but I am 26-28h into the game now and leveled up quite a bit.

If I could keep up this progress beating the game could be possible. Would be cool!

Unfortunately, given my work schedule and the games I’m currently playing, I doubt I’ll be able to actually finish anything in my backlog. I’ll sure as hell try though.

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (20%) - FromSoft games are hard to gauge how far you are, so this is a pretty rough estimate. Currently wrapping up the Hirata Estate before taking on Ashina Castle.
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (3%) - Not sure why I started this when I did, no chance I’ll be able to finish it any time soon. Had a lot of fun in the minimal time I spent playing though.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (0%) - Got in coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow, been looking forward to playing it for a while.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (10%) - Obviously I won’t be able to really dig in until the game releases, but I want to spend more time grinding out supports and levels, at least for Golden Deer.
  • AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative (0%) - Same deal as above, but there’s no demo to get a head start with this one.
  • Minecraft (??%) - Started a new survival world a week ago, not sure how long I want to run with it.
Updating.
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (85%) - Having a ton of fun with this. Definitely close to the end, but given how brutal the final bosses are supposed to be, this could easily extend longer than anticipated.
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (3%) - At this point, I’m shelving this until July. Just don’t have the time.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (20%) - Replaced Minecraft as my chill game for the time being. Loving it so far.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (10%) - Haven’t touched the demo in about a week, will probably do some more grinding on Wednesday or Thursday to prep for the full release.
  • AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative (0%) - Since I’m planning on playing Three Hopes first, this will probably be shelved until July.
  • Minecraft (??%) - As said above, haven’t really played that much since I got Kirby.

Played a bit more of Steamworld Quest and I'm on Chapter 4.

That's the good thing about the Steamworld series. They're all very brisk but fun experiences so the pacing is consistent.

Last edited:
Started playing Rainswept today. Honestly not a huge fan of it so far. The writing comes across as amateurish and I don't particularly care for any of the characters.

No idea how far I am, but the game is supposed to be something like 6-8 hours so I'm probably at least 10% done. Don't know if I'll bother finishing it but I'll give it another shot.

Okay, so the first check-up is here!

Below is the reported progress in the thread from members, from the moment they entered the challenge.

Irene

Horizon Forbidden West: 5% more done.

chocolate_supra
Aggelos: At 50% or 25% currently.

WhyS
Policenauts: At 50% currently
Tokimeki Memorial: COMPLETE

Mandos

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth: Up to Chapter 7
EDF World Brothers: Chipping away
Picross s2: Chipping away
Voxelgram: Chipping away

Jahranimo
Captain Toad: COMPLETE
Steamworld Quest: At Hand of Gilgamesh

Scrawnton
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim: COMPLETE

Pfaumenmus12

Halo: The Master Chief Collection: COMPLETE

Nmanic

Cuphead: COMPLETE
We Love Katamari: COMPLETE
Dragon Quest V: Currently at 50%

Gengar
Death’s Door: COMPLETE

xghost777

Klonoa 2 Dream Champ Tournament: COMPLETE
Fire Emblem Awakening: 3 hours

Josh5890
Tunic: COMPLETE

Ojoloco

Persona 5 Strikers: Second prison

Yavga
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Skies: Recruited seal

frog
Batman: Arkham Origins: Cleaning up side quests

Lovecatt
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim: Tons of progress

tolkir
Paper Mario Origami King: Third ribbon done and roughly 60% done
Kaze and the Wild Masks: Three worlds completed with everything except Time Trials, roughly 70% done.

ITSMILNER
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge: COMPLETE

bellydrum

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: Lanayru Desert, after second trial

Huge congrats to @WhyS @Jahranimo @Pflaumenmus12 @Nmanic @xghost777 @Josh5890 and @ITSMILNER for completing some games this week.

Let's hear it for them!

A week from now, there will be the second check-up, and then a summary of the challenge, an hour before the Direct airs.

Congrats to all of the progress, keep playing, and see you next Sunday!
As of 5:15am ET this morning, Earthbound is complete! What an incredible game, I'm sad it's over but happy to be moving on.

Next up - Star Fox 64, followed by XenoblaDE's final two bosses, followed by MAYBE Octo Expansion

Looking to finish Undertale on my flight tomorrow. Doing a pacifist run (or at least as good as a pacifist run as I could do, if we’re avoiding spoilers). Hoping I’m close!

Updating:

Resident Evil 4: Finally finished after 17 years. For some reason I skipped this one even with all the re-releases but it's done. Took me a while to get used to the camera but overall it was a great experience (died only 37 times). Also
Luis dying escene was channeling a lot of Zero's "what am I fighting for???" energy lol

Now on to FInal Fantasy Legend 3

I beat Crash 4, great time from start to finish. But there’s no way I’m going for 100%, that’s way more work than it’s worth.

Starting Spider-Man Miles Morales tomorrow.

Totally forgot to do updates, oops. Beat Guardians of the Galaxy on the 16th, started up with BioShock Remastered but it's not really grabbing me yet. Gonna try to push through though!

That's that! I finished all four routes in Fire Emblem: Three Houses as of today. I probably have ingested a bit much in the past month, but I had a real good time all around. I want to go back into the expansion pass stuff but I'll wait a bit before doing so.

Either way, that's one game off the list. Now it's time to determine which one is next.

Just to give an update. I might have been to excited after Toree 3D because I finished Toree 2 last night (100% stars run).
Now is time for Neptunia

I crossed ten hours in Fire Emblem Awakening and finished chapter 11 so I just hit the time skip. The story definitely picked up today and I think I mostly have a set team at this point. Two of my characters, my avatar and Lissa, hit level 20 so they are the first ones to get Master Seals. This game definitely gets much easier as it goes and you get more familiar with it, but I’m still cautious. My goal is to beat it by Friday, but I’m invested at this point so if I have to put off Ai 2 for a bit until I finish it I will.

Finished Fire Emblem Warriors late last night. I swear every time I play a Fire Emblem game of some sort, I fall in love with the series even more. Seriously, after playing this game I want to go back to Fates and Awakening again lol. Anyway, fun game, even if I hate chapter 12 with a passion. There is a lot of DLC so this game is a lot deeper than just an 11 hour campaign, but I might be one and done. Unless Nintendo adds the DLC to the NSO Expansion Pass!

Anyway, I did my minimum two, but this train ain't stopping. I will probably play TMNT Shredder's Revenge tonight, but Kirby is on the door step!

Finished Days Gone on PS5 tonight, really enjoyed that! But that’s both my chosen games completed, will probably play some more Mario Strikers and Fall Guys for a few days and start a new game at the weekend.

I can feel the pull of summertime silliness. I can see myself getting sucked into Fall Guys this week, but I'm going to try to stay true to my word and put in some time with Disco Elysium tonight.

I'm done with Wuppo. It's a fun, funny game. It's pretty interesting, too. It's commonly listed as a metroidvania, but to me it seems more about solving puzzles and talking to characters around the game's world. The focus on solving puzzles through items picked up from NPCs and through other means almost gave me some adventure game vibes. It's a good time.

I'll take a look at Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon in the next day or two. It's a very short game, which is ideal since the sequel to AI: The Somnium Files comes out on the 24th.

At what I think is the final denouement of Arkham Origins (the return to Blackgate Prison)

TWEWY - 40% at 17 hours
Pokemon Legends Arceus - 15% maybe? at 27 hours, taking into account I'm intending to go for a complete pokedex. I've done two nobles but I'm still missing 4/5ths of the pokedex entries (not solely registry, I'm missing 3/5ths of that) and I've heard the game has some meaty content past Dialga and Palkia so it's only a rough estimate.

I'm also replaying Dread on hard mode, got halfway through it today and I intend to beat it tomorrow, and been trying to 1CC Sin & Punishment on Normal for over a month now but I pretty much can't get past 2-2. I can get TWEWY, Dread and hopefully S&P done before the direct but definitely not Arceus.

When I picked Fire Emblem Awakening I definitely was worried I wasn’t going to finish before Ai 2, but I made awesome progress today. I wrapped up Chapter 18 so I’m definitely inching closer to the end. I have a set party at this point and while I rarely lose someone, it often takes a good few troops now to take out some of the tougher enemies so I’m a bit worried heading towards the end of the game still.

I definitely wish I got into this game sooner. I had it at launch and if I just stuck with it back then, I’m sure I’d love leveling more than just my core crew. My backlog is pretty massive though so gotta keep pushing on!

Okay reading by a chapter list of a walkthrough I am probably around 80% through Aggelos!! I'm finally at a point where I can just tank hits and run around slashing like a madman. wheeeeeeee

It wasn't part of my initial list, but with the remake being announced and watching a bunch of Maximilian Dood's videos on it, I marathoned Resident Evil 4 over the long weekend. The controls may be a bit stiff for some these days, and it has some irritating segments, but it is still an all-timer for me.

Pointing a shotgun point-blank at a not-zombie and then making heads explode like balloons remains one of the most satisfying things I've ever experienced.

Yes, the rumors are true. You may all shower me with praise now. I have finished Policenauts, and with that I have completed two (2) games before the Direct (Xenoblade or general). I would like to dedicate this great accomplishment to trans rights, also known as human rights. Thank you and #TeamJanuary.

that's a wrap on Arkham Origins
20220621205912-1.jpg

Oh, forgot to update. Made it to Act 2, Chapter 7 in Steamworld Quest. The boss at the end of chapter 6 bodied me a couple of times but buying the right cards and setting my deck correctly handled them pretty well.

Feels like this is a 3 act game kinda like Steamworld Heist but explicitly separates it in chapters.

I can feel the pull of summertime silliness. I can see myself getting sucked into Fall Guys this week, but I'm going to try to stay true to my word and put in some time with Disco Elysium tonight.

I did end up getting sucked into Fall Guys last night, but I put in some more time with Disco Elysium too. I'm doing some late-night sleuthing to finish up Day 2.

Fall Guys and Disco Elysium kind of go well together. They both celebrate the joy of failure and encourage experimentation.

I think I'm gonna get absolutely nothing done this week. Today I'm too tired, tomorrow I'll be too tired, and the weekend will be all about nirvanA...

Trying to beat Dragon Quest V before fire emblem three hopes comes out this week lol. I'm close though!

I think I'm gonna get absolutely nothing done this week. Today I'm too tired, tomorrow I'll be too tired, and the weekend will be all about nirvanA...
you and me both. Working 10.5 hours every day this week and saturday 9 hous.... Elden Ring can wait. I am just too tired.

Hit the credits on Luigi's Mansion 3! Glad it's finally off my list. I started it in 2020, played a few hours, did the same in 2021, but now it's done.

It was a really good game but it kinda frustrated me sometimes? The controls weren't great in some fights and there were a few moments of "how was I supposed to know that?" throughout the main game. Otherwise, I love how creative each floor was and just how much personality the game has. I didn't really prioritize collecting things, but it's good that it's there for people who want more time with it.

I've now finished my goals for this thread! I will be diving deep into Fire Emblem Three Hopes on Friday, so I probably shouldn't add anything else to my list for the time being. Glad that this thread is here to challenge people! For me, it seems the hardest part of playing the backlog is... just sitting down and doing it. This gave me some extra motivation to get to it.

Finish it! What a ride.
I loved it!
Matsuribayashi is such an amazing finale. I love how they really delve deeply into all the plot threads of the series before you get to see the conclusion. There's lots of other side higurashi vns that have been translated by fans now, like the console exclusive arcs. Maybe take a break now, but I'd recommend checking those out eventually too!

Wow, the final boss of Aggelos is suddenly way hard yall 😳

Edit: also I'm almost certain the final boss theme has a piece of Toki Ni Ai Wa from Utena.

Last edited:
Matsuribayashi is such an amazing finale. I love how they really delve deeply into all the plot threads of the series before you get to see the conclusion. There's lots of other side higurashi vns that have been translated by fans now, like the console exclusive arcs. Maybe take a break now, but I'd recommend checking those out eventually too!
I agree! It’s so beautiful. I have never read something so beautiful as Higurashi tbh (my fav arc is Meakashi, I love Shion so much)

I’ll definitely check the side arcs in the future!

I DID IT YALL
KqT65W5_d.webp

Fully levelled, got the ultimate equipment.. I mean, I wasn't going for 100% but now that I see they were tracking percentages and I see how close I was I kinda wish I had found that last heart container 😒

Just could not get into BioShock, unfortunately. Shelved for now, I think I'm just not in the mood for it right now. Picked up Ys 8 instead, just wrapped up the second chapter.

I doubt I’ll play something today. I was thinking about starting a route in CR Future Blessings or Taisho x Alice, but tomorrow nirvanA Initiative will come out and I think I’ll play only that for a while…
Maybe I’ll do some side stories in TMS tho

Back
Top Bottom