• A new Metroid event is now active. Come join the fun over in Aurc's thread!

StarTopic The Famiboards Body Improvement Club [ST] My Body is Ready

NarohDethan

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
After I recent health scare, I visited a doctor and a nutritionist and have been cleaning my diet for the last two weeks and going for 1 hour+ walks, I'm currently 5 pounds down from my initial goal set by my nutritionist of 15 pounds.

PokéNeutral

Koopa
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I usually play football once to twice a week but haven't been able to go for three weeks because of life stuff. Going again tonight and very excited to get back into it but at the same time I just know I'm going to be super sore tomorrow.

Kingpin Rogers

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him
I’ve started doing a little weight lifting and light exercising from home. Naturally pretty skinny so want to try and build some muscle and more general fitness. My main concern at the moment is even though I find each exercise difficult at the time I don’t always feel like I’m feeling it enough by the end. Makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong or not doing enough.

Yavga

Bing Bing Wahoo
Pronouns
He
I’ve started doing a little weight lifting and light exercising from home. Naturally pretty skinny so want to try and build some muscle and more general fitness. My main concern at the moment is even though I find each exercise difficult at the time I don’t always feel like I’m feeling it enough by the end. Makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong or not doing enough.

You don't have to become sore in order to gain muscle, but if you really want to feel the effort in your body then you could try lifting weights more explosively. So instead of a slow pump you do a intense pump and let the weight come down slowly again.

This way, if you would do 3 sets of say... 15 reps with weights that are moderately heavy taking a break of 60 seconds between sets for one specific exercise you will feel that muscle burn!

Also, for MAXIMUM gains you try to continue pumping while you feel becoming sore during the exercise, as those pumps count the most but in the end it's all about the volume and the quality. It's better to do 3x20 good form reps of 10 kg (volume being 600kg) then 3x10 reps of 20kg (volume also 600kg) with bad form.

Also, the most important to grow is your food intake and the quality of proteins from what you eat and the amount of calories you need. In order to grow muscle you will need to eat (at least) in a caloric surplus of about 200 calories.

Hope you manage to find the motivation and discipline to continue!

PokéNeutral

Koopa
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him

You don't have to become sore in order to gain muscle, but if you really want to feel the effort in your body then you could try lifting weights more explosively. So instead of a slow pump you do a intense pump and let the weight come down slowly again.

This way, if you would do 3 sets of say... 15 reps with weights that are moderately heavy taking a break of 60 seconds between sets for one specific exercise you will feel that muscle burn!

Also, for MAXIMUM gains you try to continue pumping while you feel becoming sore during the exercise, as those pumps count the most but in the end it's all about the volume and the quality. It's better to do 3x20 good form reps of 10 kg (volume being 600kg) then 3x10 reps of 20kg (volume also 600kg) with bad form.

Also, the most important to grow is your food intake and the quality of proteins from what you eat and the amount of calories you need. In order to grow muscle you will need to eat (at least) in a caloric surplus of about 200 calories.

More of an aerobic person (long-distance running + football) than weight-lifting person but I sometimes do gym sessions during off-season / heavy winter or when I've been injured; and to add onto Yavga's great post, if you lift until you physically cannot do another rep with good form, your muscle has sustained the microtears you want to induce for rebuilding with your calorie surplus - regardless of whether you feel sore afterwards or not. Just make sure you keep good form and stop when your body tells you to stop so you don't sustain an injury. It's better to get slower, more moderate results over a longer time period than overdoing it and burning out or injuring yourself. :)

Kingpin Rogers

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him

More of an aerobic person (long-distance running + football) than weight-lifting person but I sometimes do gym sessions during off-season / heavy winter or when I've been injured; and to add onto Yavga's great post, if you lift until you physically cannot do another rep with good form, your muscle has sustained the microtears you want to induce for rebuilding with your calorie surplus - regardless of whether you feel sore afterwards or not. Just make sure you keep good form and stop when your body tells you to stop so you don't sustain an injury. It's better to get slower, more moderate results over a longer time period than overdoing it and burning out or injuring yourself. :)
Yeah, one of the things I'm trying to focus on is making sure I have good form but I'll try going for a little lower weight and higher reps. Thanks for the advice guys.

MissingNo.

Triangular Tactician
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
So I recently started an attempt to be more active throughout the day, as both my job and my primary hobbies involve a lot of sitting around. And with me being a bit of a lazy bum, it definitely shows.

However, in the short time since, I already started feeling a bit better. I am not as tired throughout the day as I used to be, and I even started losing some weight. Baby steps.

Yavga

Bing Bing Wahoo
Pronouns
He
Baby steps are the best steps, slow and steady progression. No need to rush success, working towards your goal and feeling that you are steadily making progress 'however small' is worth a lot more than the end goal.

While at the gym I have now met several people that tell me they have semi-permanent injuries just because they wanted to get fit/big and rushed things, only to wish that they had done things differently in retroperspective.

PokéNeutral

Koopa
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Did a track run yesterday, that was very nice. Now I need to try to get running into a daily routine on days where I don't have football. I can feel that I'm losing shape that I get tired from pressing much quicker, so I need to try and keep that stamina up.

Yavga

Bing Bing Wahoo
Pronouns
He
How is it going sport fami?

Not doing so hot myself at the moment. While I have been riding a high for the past years working towards my goals and shaping up my body, more and more people tell me that I look like I am ill, that I don't look fit and initially I didn't care but it kinda makes me sad now. It feels as if all the hard works doesn't pay off and that people only think I am an idiot. Extra painful when a week ago I looked in the mirror and really admired myself for the first time, seeing a toned body instead of a lazy pile of fat.

babyspace

Rattata
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm starting to get serious about getting back in shape. I've gained quite a bit over the last few years, and I feel I've just reached a boiling point of not being happy with how I look and mustering the will to do something about that.

My eating habits are not great, but I've found in the past that I'm more motivated to address those when I am in a fitness routine because I otherwise feel I'm expending all that effort for nothing. So here goes, I guess...

Unfortunately the weather is turning poor where I am, so walking to work and going for runs aren't really options. I do have Ring Fit (I used to do it religiously) and a spin bike at home, but I'm also contemplating joining a gym with my partner.

Top Bottom