• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News The DioField Chronicle, a brand-new strategy RPG from SE, out now on PC and consoles (UPDATE: free content update announced, launches March 2023)

I don't think we have any footage of this game on the Switch yet? I'd love to give it a try maybe 1 or 2 months after launch. Hope it runs well handheld mode.

I don't think we have any footage of this game on the Switch yet? I'd love to give it a try maybe 1 or 2 months after launch. Hope it runs well handheld mode.
Yeah it’s defo on my ‘wait and see’ list. Feels a bit odd that it’s two months away and we haven’t seen anything. I guess they want people to try the demo.

there will be a demo next month

yes, and I think that some in-depth look article could go up between end July/early August (before demo release)
they sent out some PR juicy info
the main/core gameplay element is that it is not turn-based
it is a real time stretegic game
this set the game apart from Triangle Strategy, Mrio + rabbids, Fire Emeblem and so on..

yes, and I think that some in-depth look article could go up between end July/early August (before demo release)
they sent out some PR juicy info
the main/core gameplay element is that it is not turn-based
it is a real time stretegic game
this set the game apart from Triangle Strategy, Mrio + rabbids, Fire Emeblem and so on..
I thought it was real-time but with pause, kind of like the battles in 13 Sentinels? Like, it'll automatically jump to whoever's turn it is and stop time while you make your choice for what they do next. If not and it's actually fully real-time... ugh, then I'm kind of out. Not a fan of that.

Ooh thanks for the heads up!
i I hope it's good, I love the art style!

The demo is also out in the EU now since I can download it!

The game looks super pretty, but the switch between character portraits and the 3d models is pretty jarring.

I tried the demo, and I do think it shows promise, but its just not a game for me.
RTS is not my thing I guess, I just keep forgetting to make a move LOL. Also the walk speed couldve been a bit higher during battles.

(you can speed the movement up, but it'd be a hassle to keep switching it everytime you arrive somewhere imo)

I am interested to see how this game will do!

The game looks super pretty, but the switch between character portraits and the 3d models is pretty jarring.

I tried the demo, and I do think it shows promise, but its just not a game for me.
RTS is not my thing I guess, I just keep forgetting to make a move LOL. Also the walk speed couldve been a bit higher during battles.

(you can speed the movement up, but it'd be a hassle to keep switching it everytime you arrive somewhere imo)

I am interested to see how this game will do!

I haven’t checked in. Is it real time? Would tank my interest in even trying it :|

I haven’t checked in. Is it real time? Would tank my interest in even trying it :|
Yeah it is (sadly), I'd have definitely been more interested in it if it was turn based but alas.

That's why I was atleast glad theres a demo to see if it could change my mind but, no. XD

Yeah it is (sadly), I'd have definitely been more interested in it if it was turn based but alas.

That's why I was atleast glad theres a demo to see if it could change my mind but, no. XD

I may still see for myself, but this year already feels busy enough. Thanks!

Good to see the demo is finally available in Europe, will check it out over the weekend!

The game being a RTS will set it apart from the other tactical games being released this year.

Will try it in the coming weeks.

Played about 80 minutes of the demo, seems like it’s one of those long ‘first 5 hours of the game’ type deals SE does on Switch. It’s cool! I have some nitpicks around the edges, though a notable issue would be inconsistent voice acting. A few random things I noticed during my play:
  • I believe the narrator is Geralt from The Witcher and I can’t stop hearing him
  • I was triggered when I saw DioField is a continent made up of ‘NorthField’ and ‘EastField’ and so on
  • I was retriggered when I saw the currency in the game was ‘guld’
Really though, I’m impressed by how much Square Enix has seemingly wrapped their heads around the Switch over the years. The game looks nice and is mostly smooth, it feels like it probably targeted Switch first and just got a resolution and frame bump for other systems. I’ll probably end up grabbing it when it comes out if it reviews well enough.

This game jumped to my most wanted list after playing the demo loved it y played it on switch but I have a series S can't decide where to get it the description for the game on Xbox says ray tracing 4k does anyone know if the series S have these features ? Or is it series X only ?

It being RTS is a bummer, I usually don't enjoy that side of the genre too much (other than Pikmin, haha).
I'll give the demo a go nonetheless of course.

Isn’t it real time with pause rather than a "pure" RTS? I’m looking forward to trying it out myself once I’m back home.

To those worried about the real time element, the game is about as close to not being an RTS that an RTS could be. Every action you go to make (movement, attack, ability commands) pauses the game to let you zero in your target. The pausing is so frequent I almost would’ve preferred a dedicated button since it can be a little stop-start with how much it jumps between pause and realtime, or maybe use a WEGO system instead.

Basically, I wouldn’t let the RTS aspects alone put you off. At least give the demo a shot!

Finally got around to play a bit of the demo (Is really hard to stop playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3) and I dig it. I really like the art, cutscenes and voice acting, plus the game runs solidly on Switch... which shouldn't be too hard considering that the gameplay segments are not great looking, is pretty clear that the budget went mostly to the presentation of the story (But this is okay since, let's be honest, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is not a looker either). That being said, I like the fact they went for a more RTS route since the Turn-Based strategy niche is already fill this year with Triangle Strategy and the upcoming Tactics Ogre remaster.

Overall, I like these AA projects that Square Enix is currently doing (High hopes for Harvestella too), hope this direction continues.

Really though, I’m impressed by how much Square Enix has seemingly wrapped their heads around the Switch over the years. The game looks nice and is mostly smooth, it feels like it probably targeted Switch first and just got a resolution and frame bump for other systems. I’ll probably end up grabbing it when it comes out if it reviews well enough.
Switch and mobile have done wonders for Square's mid-tier and budget development teams. They're pretty much the company's breadwinners while everyone waits 3-5 years between FF, DQ, KH, and Nier installments.

I like the art but not its in-game translation
The real time are not actually pure real time (a plus for me) but the rhythm is a little bit too clunky because of this
Overall, I like the demo

Finally got around to give the demo a go! I'm pretty pleased with what I've played overall. Guess this'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

Finally got around to give the demo a go! I'm pretty pleased with what I've played overall. Guess this'll be a day 1 purchase for me.
I still need to play the demo, at first I was interested, then the RTS put me off, but now if it's got pauses like something like 13 Sentinels, I might be back in

I still need to play the demo, at first I was interested, then the RTS put me off, but now if it's got pauses like something like 13 Sentinels, I might be back in
I do wonder about how stressful things might become with more units, higher difficulty, more complex mission design as the game goes on, etc. Depending on how these things turn out/develop (or not), obviously.
The initial stuff in the demo was easy enough to deal with, even with RT gameplay, pausing a lot. Which I certainly don't mind.

You just know that Square Enix have done one hell of a job marketing this game when DioField releases and you see basically no one talk about it; it's also not charting in the eShop top 30 (Germany). And I've seen reactions already that were like "wait, this is coming out already???"

I fear for its commercial performance already, ngl. This sucks.

You just know that Square Enix have done one hell of a job marketing this game when DioField releases and you see basically no one talk about it; it's also not charting in the eShop top 30 (Germany). And I've seen reactions already that were like "wait, this is coming out already???"

I legit was just wondering when the release date was, thinking it was maybe tomorrow? And then apparently it’s already out??? I’ve heard basically no buzz or fanfare of any kind, it’s weird.

That’s Square Enix’ marketing department for anything that isn’t AAA. One of the worst publishers when it comes to this.

Even review codes have been pretty late..like being shared after the actual release :p

Reviewing it right now

I legit was just wondering when the release date was, thinking it was maybe tomorrow? And then apparently it’s already out??? I’ve heard basically no buzz or fanfare of any kind, it’s weird.

Erm... put me in the same camp for not realising the game is already out 😬
Way to make me even sadder, folks :'(
That’s Square Enix’ marketing department for anything that isn’t AAA. One of the worst publishers when it comes to this.
RIP Octopath II, then, I guess.
(Nah, that one can be happy to be somewhat of a known quantity at least, thanks to the first and Nintendo marketing/2D HD buzz)

Wonder how well things are going to play out for Harvestella, though....

Square Enix is pretty dang bad at advertising for AA titles honestly. Reminds me of Neo TWEWY last year

But hey does anyone want to see more Forspoken?

Makes me fear for SEs non-FF/KH titles; fortunately Team Asano has built up a fanbase for their HD-2D games on the Switch so OTII should do fine and Nintendo is helping with the marketing for Harvestella and Dragon Quest Treasures. The one I'm most concerned for is Tactics Ogre Reborn, hopefully the SRPG resurgence on the Switch will help it see some success.

free content update announced

Back
Top Bottom