• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro The beauty of sprite-based gaming

blondkayvon

Octorok
Founder
Pronouns
he/him* 🏳️‍🌈
I've been watching a friend stream a lot of Gameboy Advance games lately and it's been making me think a lot about sprite-based games. There is something about sprite-based games that really warms my soul; a great art style can really make the medium shine. I don't know what it is, but there's just something so fantastical about beautiful sprite work. I mean, seriously, look at these:

WiiUVC_MetroidFusion_02.bmp

egs_sonicmania_lab42_g1a_02_1920x1080_727336445.0.jpg

s2152_gp1665_1488927089.jpg

pokemon_ruby_sapphire_anniversary_03.png

While I love 3D games, it makes me sad how as soon as 3D came around 2D was almost completely abandoned by most of the AAA publishers. Do you think we'll ever see another sprite-based game by one of the big players or do you think we'll need to count on indies to continue to take up that mantle? What are some examples of the most beautiful sprite-based games?

I wholeheartedly agree. Indies are doing a good job of keeping sprite based games relevant (some pull this off better than others, of course), while the rest of the industry moved away from them entirely. There's always the odd example of character sprite art popping up in menus in otherwise 3D or hand drawn games, but that's about the extent of it, for the most part.

Currently replaying ALTTP and it really makes me yearn for Nintendo to revisit the pixel aesthetic for some of their games again.

Eastward has some of the best sprite work I've ever seen. I really wish one of the big companies would try for something like that, but I can't see it happening.

I really appreciate the love for Game Boy Advance in your OP. I will always love that era of graphics. Warms my soul indeed like a cup of hot cocoa.

Now to find my raspberry pi so I can boot up minish cap on my tv...

Eastward has some of the best sprite work I've ever seen. I really wish one of the big companies would try for something like that, but I can't see it happening.
I haven't bought it yet but it looks absolutely gorgeous. I was thinking about it when making the thread, honestly.

I've found recently that almost all new AAA games do nothing for me outside of a few, and I keep going back to playing classic games or 2d indie games. I am just a sucker for beautiful pixel art.

I wish Nintendo would create a production unit just for 2D pixel games. Either that or partner up with indies.

I wish Nintendo would create a production unit just for 2D pixel games. Either that or partner up with indies.
I really wish the next entry in the 2D Mario series was pixel art... I know it won't happen because it would sell worse, but I can still dream.

I recently played Minish Cap, and man... we should've gotten more sprite-based Zeldas on the DS. Shame all we got was Four Swords Anniversary.

For me recently it’s not even been sprite games - it’s been specifically GBA sprite games. Looking at screenshots of Minish Cap and Zero Mission/Fusion, playing Aria of Sorrow and HOD… it’s just been rubbing me the right way.

I think the use of color and a richness to the backdrop is what makes the difference between pixel art and 2-dimensional 3D games. And everything that you see in a 2D pixel backdrop is utterly intentional and meticulously crafted to present a look. This can also be true of 3D backdrops in 2D games, but it requires a similar level of care that's not often exhibited. It's possible for a 3D game in 2D to look equally striking, but it takes a skillset that is rare in 3D game design.

I like the HD-2D games. I don't want all sprite based games to look like that but Square has created a neat new technique with that. I want other companies to follow and do their own innovative sprite based art styles.

Hyperlight Drifter is another excellent sprite based game. It’s one of my favorite 2d action-adventures and it’s absolutely gorgeous.

I'll echo what others have said that indies do a great job keeping this art form alive.
There is something about well made pixel art that makes a game age very gracefully and can really make you forget about the technological limitations being worked around. While there are some great examples from basically all generations, for my money you cant get better than that quintessential GBA look ( Warioland 4, Metroid: Zero Mission, Minish Cap, FFT Advance, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Advance Wars...too many more to name) it is probably tied with golden age SNK sprite-work for my favourites and what I consider the best of all time.

Whenever appreciation for sprites come up, I always think of what was lost when Fire Emblem went 3D...

fire-emblem-gba.gif

fe6_nomadic_trooper_critical.gif

ef84b0cc884ef5cab2c6e59ca496f12a4dd6a8ac_hq.gif

Back
Top Bottom