• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Anti-Blackness of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I really do wish we had gotten an Echo fighter or two with each DLC collection, maybe something like how in MK8 if you preordered the full DLC you got I believe it was the different colored yoshis and shy guys. They could have made it where if you preordered the full smash pack you got for example the Octoling echo fighter added on. Feels like a real missed opportunity.

Edit: And the lack of black characters in Nintendo as a whole is definitely felt. Remember Project Hammer, the title announced at the Wii launch with a black male as the main character? Don't think he was the reason the game got cancelled but it was sad to see a really early 2000s with a black male MC getting axed when it was even less common back then. No idea if the representation would have been good mind you but this may have been the first time Nintendo had a non white/japanese human MC in a game.

hammer-time.900x.jpg

Are there latinx fighters? Because if there aren't shouln't be more appropriate to say Smash is "anti-diversity" rather than "anti-black" ?
Latino/ South American representation is even more scarce than black/ African american.
Going by some peoples logic, Twintelle would also be a terrible choice, Instead the spot should have been for Misango.

Personally I would prefer most devs not to try to include South Americans characters “in a realistic matter” cause Im 99% sure the director and most people in the dev team are not, So I dont thrust them being accurate

Back
Top Bottom