• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2023 Completed Games Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

I was going to leave the series rest for a bit to avoid saturation, but started the first case to pick it up later and couldnt avoid to get hooked. Oh well.

I would say, as far as i have played until now, this game is the Super Mario Bros 3 of the series. My main complaint of JFA - the disjointed cases - have disappeared and it gives us a perfectly narrated story with enough twists and turns to build two rollercoasters.

It closes every single lead that has been opened since PWAA and it does it masterfully. Quality drops a bit in the third case, but i would say that's a staple by now, and it also helps that, seemingly, that case was originally written for JFA. Still, it was enjoyable and gave us an apparently unimportant piece of info that will be extremely relevant later on.

Last case acts as a perfect finale for the series, everything comes to an end and it has what i would say were the most hype moments in the original trilogy

It starts HARD with Phoenix disregarding his own safety to cross the burning bridge and try to save Maya
THEN We're put in the role of motherfucking Miles Edgeworth. I can't believe how much of a fanboy i have become for such character
The Five Pyshelocks on the door of the training cave is genuinely scary WTF moment
The Iris and Dahlia switcheroo
Dahlia's return!
Dahlia's defeat and Iris' confession
And, finally, the final showdown agaisnt Godot

No matter what i play next, i KNOW that it's not going to top this. Yesterday i was bawling my eyes out at 1 a.m. while knowing that
Phoenix, much to his own regret, was basically exerting too much an already exhausted Maya, who only wanted to protect the man that saved her life
and then at the ending.

I now understand why the original trilogy is so well regarded. These games are fucking masterpieces.

Taking the words out of my mouth here! Trials and Tribulations is a game unlike anything else. You’d think that we had two games with a bunch of separate and maybe loosely connected cases but no, Trials and Tribulations ties everything up and reveals that it was all just a long game to string it all up in an epic, thematically sound trilogy that gets resolved with a damn bang.

Also, Godot is straight up one of the series’ greatest characters. He just steals the show for me, in a game already filled to the brink with pure narrative quality.

“The prosecution can wield a whip, or drink seventeen cups of coffee - but there’s only one truth!”

Such a phenomenal series. Love them to death.

I've started strong(ish) this year, finishing some games I started in December and clearing out a couple of short games. My finished games for January are, so far:

1) Yakuza 3 - Series X. Probably the weakest entry so far (I've played from 0 to 3). I finished it early in January after having struggled with the game for a few months. Unpolished and boring combat, a weakest story so far in the series, and save for a few heartwarming moments, it's often dull and not fun to follow. It hurts to play it after Kiwami 2

2) New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS. Fun platformer, undeserved hate, mid-tier NSMB level design, the extra levels are very challenging and a welcome change of pace. Still, for a portable Mario game, NSMBU and Mario 3D Land are much, much better.

3) High on Life - Series X. It feels like a PS3-era game in the sense that it's fun, doesn't overstay its welcome and is a pretty by-the-numbers shooter with fun mobility options. I enjoyed it but, honestly, it's hard to recommend after reading everything about how much of a revolting person Justin Roiland is, so honestly I'd just like to take a moment to say fuck you Justin before moving on to number 4

4) Lunistice - NSW. It's fun! It's short! The music is great and the graphics are pretty! The only thing I didn't care much for are the basic levels in the beginning, but they grow in scope, ideas and creativity in the end. Happy I played it, overall. An easy recommend, considering the price.

Next up: Yakuza 4 and Bayonetta 3.

I was going to leave the series rest for a bit to avoid saturation, but started the first case to pick it up later and couldnt avoid to get hooked. Oh well.

I would say, as far as i have played until now, this game is the Super Mario Bros 3 of the series. My main complaint of JFA - the disjointed cases - have disappeared and it gives us a perfectly narrated story with enough twists and turns to build two rollercoasters.

It closes every single lead that has been opened since PWAA and it does it masterfully. Quality drops a bit in the third case, but i would say that's a staple by now, and it also helps that, seemingly, that case was originally written for JFA. Still, it was enjoyable and gave us an apparently unimportant piece of info that will be extremely relevant later on.

Last case acts as a perfect finale for the series, everything comes to an end and it has what i would say were the most hype moments in the original trilogy

It starts HARD with Phoenix disregarding his own safety to cross the burning bridge and try to save Maya
THEN We're put in the role of motherfucking Miles Edgeworth. I can't believe how much of a fanboy i have become for such character
The Five Pyshelocks on the door of the training cave is genuinely scary WTF moment
Dahlia's return!

No matter what i play next, i KNOW that it's not going to top this. Yesterday i was bawling my eyes out at 1 a.m. while knowing that
Phoenix, much to his own regret, was basically exerting too much an already exhausted Maya, who only wanted to protect the man that saved her life
and then at the ending.

I now understand why the original trilogy is so well regarded. These games are fucking masterpieces.
I hope you get to play the Great Ace Attorney games, those are awesome as well.

I beat Metroid Fusion as part of Fami's Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event and I'll keep most of my thoughts to the dedicated thread. Suffice to say I loved it. And part of the joy was discovering, in retrospect, Fusion's DNA all over Dread. The linear level layout that yet still sometimes tricks you into feeling like you walked in an unsuspected direction and discovered a secret passage beyond the intentions of the designers, bosses that are a bigger focus than previously in the series as well as normal enemies that have to be taken seriously for a change, and the big blue screen you return to in regular intervals to get talked at by a robotic voice. The smartest small change Dread made was eliminate Samus' inner monolgue during elevator sequences as if it was Harrison Ford's narration during the original cut of Blade Runner. That alone makes Samus a compelling character because players are allowed to read into her. And it's a much easier adjustment than "write better sentences".

Continuing the sampling of the Cowabunga Collection, I can now confidently state that Fall of the Foot Clan is the Turtles game I owned as a kid. And only because I recognized one level and boss. The game doesn't stick to memory. It's very short and very easy. I don't remember if I beat it as kid nor guess at if I was disappointed if I did. To its credit, part of why it is easy is how snappy the controls are. You can pretty much hit enemies behind you and in front of you in the same frame. Every hit I took was because I fell asleep at the wheel or because the camera wasn't centered where it should have been.

Sticking with the sequel on Game Boy, Back from the Sewers cranked up graphics and difficulty. I didn't try Hard since Medium had enough unfair moments. I definitely would not have beaten this as a kid. Even with save states helping me through the bullshit, I entered the final boss room with two health left. Thankfully Krang was a pushover as always. I'm less likely to play this again than Fall of the Foot Clan, as the latter works as a sub-one-hour palatte cleanser between new playthroughs.

Still tempted to squeeze in Zero Mission next, since I caught the Metroid bug. Otherwise I'm toying with the idea of finally starting Three Houses now that everyone else is busy on Fire Emblem Engage. But, really, it's time to get going on the Wii U and 3DS backlog so I'll have a clearer picture of what I may still want to buy before their respective eShops shut down.

Beat Pokemon Scarlet, but the final stretch left me in too much bliss to pass judgement on the whole game right now, so instead here's two little sweeties, both by way of the Cowabunga Collection and both in their Arcade version:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has so much in common with Turtles in Time that I questioned myself repeatedly whether the foggy childhood memory I have of playing a TMNT beat 'em up on Super Nintendo wasn't in fact me playing on a friend's NES. Only unlimited credits made playing this tolerable. Given those, however, it was surprising how despite the hard-to-intuit controls, frustrating hit boxes, putrid boss patterns and "super armor on attacks for me but not for thee" enemy design there was a fun, fast, unforgettable romp underneath that'd be satisfying to get good at, warts and eccentricities and all.

Turtles in Time, again, reminded me more of the original than I was prepared for. The resemblance was close enough some levels could pass for remasters rather than sequels. Unexpectedly, for such a lauded classic, the similarities included the bad parts mentioned above. Although I feel like I would be ready to forgive those instantly if I ever figured out how to get the dive kick out consistently. Is it height of the jump? Is it directional input? There were strings of half a dozen dive kicks in a row where I thought I had nailed it down and was on the way to cheesing an encounter and then, suddenly, half a dozen limp floaty kicks ruin the streak of being untouchable.

Next up are the Game Boy games to see if I can identify which of the first two I owned as a kid.

Last edited:
I 100%'d Octopath Traveler two days ago, even though I bought it only a month ago.

I'm going to try and completely finish some games the coming months that I started last year, for example:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3-starring every cup in 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, Mirror Mode and 200CC including the DLC cups available so far)
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Season Pass (completed the main game already but bought the Season Pass and never finished that)
  • Spiritfarer (only have a couple spirits left to complete)
  • LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga (completed the story already, but have quite a lot of freeplay stuff left)
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King (didn't get far in this yet, I might start over)

Last edited:
1. Desperados III [ PC ] - 9
2. Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path ( Replay ) [ DS*] - 10
3. Resident Evil Deadly Silence [ DS*] - 8.5
4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 8.5

I'm definitely in a mood this month

*Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice DLC: Turnabout Time Traveler [ 3DS ]

The last piece of content that I haven't finished from the series is now done, it was a pretty nice case, better than the DD's DLC case which was solid, as a big fan of the dynamic between Phoenix and Maya, it was nice to have a full case with their banter again, is somewhat entertaining to have a Phoenix vs Edgeworth trial, but for it to work as a nostalgic throwback moment they kind of have to regress some of Edgeworth's character, so is a bit awkward in a post Investigations duology case, I remember DD handling that better, but is a inoffensive fun extra case in that regard with some good emotional punches. A neat addition to the excellent SoJ, a game only second to Prosecutor's Path in terms of quality for me.

5. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box [ DS ] - 7

Time to continue my Layton journey, the second game improves on a lot of aspects over Curious Village, presentation has a lot more budget, puzzles have a lot more correlation to some level of narrative instead of just being whatever, etc. I don't think is quite as good overall as a package tho, I quite like the twist in the original Layton, it was neat, simple, and recontextualized a lot of the game and its gamey ness fairly well; in Diabolical Box, despite the tender emotional bits, I feel the narrative takes away more after learning how everything works rather than add anything, and I'm not a fan of the start of the game, it takes a while to get going in terms of location and atmosphere, feels lacking compared to Curious Village in that regard as well. The puzzle selection is pretty good for the most part, but it has a bit too many sliding puzzles in the pacing of the main game, plus some localization issues that make some puzzles more confusing than they are.

6. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future [ DS ] - 7

If I played this one first, it would probably be my favorite and I would rate it much higher, but is hard to get invested in the premise once you know how Layton works, is not a good thing when a series with a mystery angle becomes formulaic to the point where you can tell what is coming not from foresight and analysis, but because the series just works in an specific way, also because the mystery part of Layton relies solely on its twists rather than the build up of the mystery, but still it has a lot of good character moments and stuff that I would say is pretty peak, but again, wasn't invested at all in the setting of this one because Layton. Yet again another general improvement of the series in gameplay and presentation, with a mostly really good selection of puzzles, and a neat idea with the puzzle fights, even if those were very few across the game overall.

I've started strong(ish) this year, finishing some games I started in December and clearing out a couple of short games. My finished games for January are, so far:

1) Yakuza 3 - Series X. Probably the weakest entry so far (I've played from 0 to 3). I finished it early in January after having struggled with the game for a few months. Unpolished and boring combat, a weakest story so far in the series, and save for a few heartwarming moments, it's often dull and not fun to follow. It hurts to play it after Kiwami 2

2) New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS. Fun platformer, undeserved hate, mid-tier NSMB level design, the extra levels are very challenging and a welcome change of pace. Still, for a portable Mario game, NSMBU and Mario 3D Land are much, much better.

3) High on Life - Series X. It feels like a PS3-era game in the sense that it's fun, doesn't overstay its welcome and is a pretty by-the-numbers shooter with fun mobility options. I enjoyed it but, honestly, it's hard to recommend after reading everything about how much of a revolting person Justin Roiland is, so honestly I'd just like to take a moment to say fuck you Justin before moving on to number 4

4) Lunistice - NSW. It's fun! It's short! The music is great and the graphics are pretty! The only thing I didn't care much for are the basic levels in the beginning, but they grow in scope, ideas and creativity in the end. Happy I played it, overall. An easy recommend, considering the price.

Next up: Yakuza 4 and Bayonetta 3.

Posted about this in the eshop thread. Maybe you'd be interested. Inspired by Mario 2 and from the developer of Gunman Clive.

Edit: I'm an idiot. "New" SMB2... lol.

Posted about this in the eshop thread. Maybe you'd be interested. Inspired by Mario 2 and from the developer of Gunman Clive.

Edit: I'm an idiot. "New" SMB2... lol.

Lol no worries. I like Mario 2, it was one of my first GBA games and I beat it again when it released on SNES online. I'm not a fan of how this looks visually but the mechanics really do look familiar. Might add it to the "interesting" pile -i'm trying to not over-buy games this year-

Slow start to the year for me due to a long holiday in Thailand.

I started Regency Solitaire on the plane and finished it today back at home.

It's a great port of an indie solitaire game. Controls well both with a stylus and a controller. Would love to see more quality solitaire games on the Switch. Grey Alien Games, the devs, made the OG Fairway Solitaire. This is good but doesn't have quite the same depth.

A solid 4/5.

My 2023 list:
1. Regency Solitaire - NSW - 4/5

Jan 2023 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Jan 2023 - Miracle Snack Shop (Korean Philia route)
Jan 2023 - Cruis'n Blast

I'm knees deep into Persona 5 Royal. Not completed yet but there's so much I love about the game. It has been a long while since I've played a large chonky JRPG that isn't Pokemon. That said, it's definitely not a game that you can play during the commute. Since you never know when you'll end up in one of those long sequence of events that you can't put the game down on.

f262ca5ca7897f2522d6353e254e8c42792f5bd0.jpg

So for commutes, I played Cruis'n Blast. It was fun running around a fictional track featuring Singapore landmarks as a Triceratops. I'm not sure at what point a racing game is considered completed but... I've unlocked all the tracks and gotten a gold trophy for all the regular mode rounds. AND I've gotten the Triceratops. With that, I'm satisfied with my experience playing this game.

Back to creeping around the cognitive dungeons of P5R!

Last edited:
1. Pikmin 3 Deluxe [Switch]
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [Switch]

I suppose this is a replay. I played Ace Attorney on the DS years ago, and while this is my first playthrough of the updated Switch version as far as I understand the update is mostly on graphics.
That said I do prefer the original pixelated graphics over the nicer images. It could just be nostalgia talking but I felt they had more charm overall.
Either way I still immensely enjoyed the game. Remembered a lot of it as I was playing through but there were definitely still twists that caught me off guard because I sometimes remembered struggling previously with a section rather than the answer. (For example the video evidence in case 5... I mostly remember struggling through watching the video several times trying to find the answer.)
Probably the biggest thing I wasn't expecting out of a replay was getting caught in the idea that I thought I was close to being finished a case when I was still way further from the ending than anticipated. The Ace Attorney series is one of the few games I have accidentally stayed up all night playing because I thought I'd be able to finish it sooner than I had. And even knowing that I had done that already once it managed to do it to me again on a replay.

This game series has a lot of memories and good things associated with it for me and I'm glad to see I still find it just as charming years later. I haven't played the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles yet. I think I need to get to those this year if I can, but I do want to finish playing through this whole trilogy again first.

Here we go! Hoping to clear out some of the backlog before Octopath II hits.

January
1. Skyward Sword HD [NSW]
2. Captaid Toad: Treasure Tracker: Special Episode (DLC) [NSW]
3. Final Fantasy VII [NSW]
4. The Last Campfire [NSW]
5. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger [NSW]
6. Sudoku #1 [NSW]
7. Bayonetta 3 [NSW]

Professor Layton and the Lost Future [DS]
Cuphead [NSW] - Co-op with wife

Octopath Traveler II [NSW]
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon [NSW]
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom [NSW]

Axiom Verge
Stardew Valley
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Halo
Live A Live

6. Sudoku #1 [NSW]

Played a little bit before bedtime for half a year or so, it's Sudoku no more no less so always enjoyable and good for the mind =)

7. Bayonetta 3 [NSW]

Holy heck, this was a kick of adrenaline. Super exctiting combat with a lot of depth, probably in my top 3 of 2022. Not without it's flaws ofc, not really a fan of the kaiju fights, they didnt really work very well - and while Viola had some cool movesets I did have some problem with the dodging mechanic.

I get that some where dissapointed by the ending - but to me it wasnt really a big deal, I love all the bayo games but If someone asked me about the story for either game I couldnt re-tell it.

8. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) [8.5/10]

The rare non-Smash Sakurai game (and perhaps the last one!). I've been playing Assault alongside the other Star Fox games, and this feels like a much much better version of what they wanted to do with that game. Once you get past the controls, the game has a fun anime-esque story to get through with some big set pieces. This game kind of reminds me of Sin and Punishment Wii in that since the environments can't be interacted with a lot of the time they can really go all out, making it one of the best looking games on the system. The gameplay is a little lackluster (especially the flying segments, which are definitely more Star Successor than Star Fox) and the dialogue has aged a bit, but you can tell they really put every single idea they had into this game. Biggest surprise is that despite being so annoying at the start, Pit is the likable character by the end. Not too shabby!

Dahlia's return!

and then at the ending.

Sincerely, thank you for the hype moments list because wow that set off a nostalgia bomb in my brain. Absolutely agree that the five Psychelocks on that door was an OH CRAP moment. Also Godot is just perfection as a character.

I don’t play as many visual novels as I used to but damn I’ll always come back to Ace Attorney.

Taking the words out of my mouth here! Trials and Tribulations is a game unlike anything else. You’d think that we had two games with a bunch of separate and maybe loosely connected cases but no, Trials and Tribulations ties everything up and reveals that it was all just a long game to string it all up in an epic, thematically sound trilogy that gets resolved with a damn bang.

Also, Godot is straight up one of the series’ greatest characters. He just steals the show for me, in a game already filled to the brink with pure narrative quality.

“The prosecution can wield a whip, or drink seventeen cups of coffee - but there’s only one truth!”

Such a phenomenal series. Love them to death.
Glad you all liked Trials and Tribulations. Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I always thought T&T was fine, but not great imo. My favorite of the original trilogy was the 1st game by far. After playing them too I just remember so much more of the 1st game than the third. However, it's been many years since I've played the games so maybe my opinion would be different now.

Glad you all liked Trials and Tribulations. Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I always thought T&T was fine, but not great imo. My favorite of the original trilogy was the 1st game by far. After playing them too I just remember so much more of the 1st game than the third. However, it's been many years since I've played the games so maybe my opinion would be different now.

I think, from the original trilogy, that the first game has a set of consistently really good to excellent cases, with T&T I find case 2 and 3 just ok, so the game is carried by 1, 4 and the ending, which is an amazing ending, but the middle game is kind of forgettable; and I feel the same about JFA, where I only really like case 2 and the final case is amazing.

Yakuza 4 is done. I eventually came around to it, and really enjoyed the distinct fighting styles even if some of the story beats were a bit muddled and convoluted, and Saejima as a character -and his story beats- were the worst. The ending battle
against Daigo and ESPECIALLY the bodyguards and fucking Munakata took me ages and was absolute bullshit. Fuuuuck that guy
was a bit of a drag. I think I'll take a break from Yakuza for a bit until Ishin comes out.

Month of January:

The Messenger (PS4)
- A really fun and humourous NES inspired ninja action game with some frustrating sections interspersed in there with fun parts. Not one of my favourite of the ninja action games but had a good time with it. C+

Tactics Ogre Reborn (Switch) - An absolute classic that I finished my first route at the start of January. I don't really plan of going back to it for the foreseeable future but it's one I like having around for when I get the feeling I want to explore more of the routes again like I did on the PSP. The postgame is enormous and there's too many other games to play. A-

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PS5)
- An all time classic. Loved it on the PSP all those years ago and it's a game that hits differently nowadays, what with me being older and having more life experiences. It's one of the most contemplative games I've ever played, it takes its time telling short stories about the passage of time and tragedy. The dungeons & combat are fun. Possibly Sakuraba's best work as a composer too. A-

Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider (PS5)
- An amazing game that wears its Shinobi, Mega Man and Hagane inspiration on its sleeve. Not as hard as you might think, either. It's a pretty fair and I never got annoyed with the game, I was always enjoying it. Only downside was some of the boss battles are rather forgettable. Very much a 90s era Action Platformer homage that most should love. I hope there's a sequel that lets you switch between the characters teased at the end. B+

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4) - IntiCreates never misses for me. Really fun small gem. Think I liked it more than Bloodstained itself, then again, I've generally been more of a fan of linear Castlevania than the Iga style games (with few exceptions). Definitely going to play the sequel. B+

Ridge Racer 2 (PS5) - Good Ridge Racer. Very hard though. Did as many of the courses as I could. C+

The Medium (PS5) - Decent point and click adventure game with horror aesthetics. It barely qualifies as "survival horror" for me. It is rather mediocre but has its moments. Probably the weakest of Bloober's games I've played though. D+

Demon's Souls Remake (PS5)
- Amazing faithful remake. Not played this fantastic game since the PS3. Loved it all over again. Still, it's one of the lower tier Miyazaki directed games compared to what he managed to do later in his career but still great. B+

Goldeneye (Switch) - Playing this game the past few days, everything came back to me again from all those years ago. Such a nostalgia wave. The game is still really fun to play through and it's got a charm to it all. The soundtrack still slaps. B+

All in all, really fun and varied month of gaming for me.

For January:

-Live A Live: I was very happy with this one, the separated stories structure while had their disadvantages and none of them felt "amazing" by the end, overall presented some very cool scenarios, some more fun to pay and others with better stories and I had a very cool time with every one of them, especially the prehistoric, feudal japan and distant future ones, but is the ending that really elevates everything, it was really awesome. Also the battle system is really cool and the remakes looks and sounds incredible. Maybe not the best jrpg but easily one of the most unique and memorables out there.

-Bayonetta 3: I was a bit nerveous before playing Bayo 3 for some of the negative or mixed comments I heard, but I really liked it in the end, since it's just a nonstop ride of action with incredibly cool setpieces and is just spectacular all the way trough with an excellent battle system once again. I know not everyone clicked with the summoning aspect, but I really did, and also Viola is definitely fun to play now after the patch (and even before that you barely play as her, so never got why she was such a deal breaker for some). However, while I never cared about the story in Bayonetta as much as other people seemed to, I really disliked the ending like pretty much everyone else did and while I kept replaying the levels after that, it sucks that for people that only wanted to play it once left such a bad taste on their mouths.

-Neon White: awesome game, never thought I would have played a fast paced first person 3D platform since that sounds very tricky to do correctly, but they not only did it but is just a blast to play with incredible mechanics, awesome music and art style and some of the levels really made me feel awesome. Didn't really care for the story and I don't like how is told for the most part, and is a shame the secrets of the later levels are a pain to find since in the first few worlds they are really fun to find and motivated me to replay levels, but even with that I had an amazing time with Neon White, best game I played in january.

-Crisis Core Reunion: I enjoyed CCR, but it's definitely the most "flawed" game of the ones I finished in January, since the structure is a bit simplistic, the story that doesn't tie directly with FF7 is just okay for the most part, the missions are a nice addition but can be very "quantity overl quality" and some details of the story could have been further developed, but even with that is heavily carried by Zack, who is a pretty cool dude, the new battle system which is simple but very fun, and all the story bits related to FF7, which are amazing and absolutely elevate the experience and makes it totally worth playing. It also looks quite good, even on Switch.

-Ys Origins: I played the first 2 stories last year but took a big break to play the last ones, since it's tiresome to play the same 10 hours game again, but I had a very good time the 3 times I played it, it's just a very fun action rpg with simple but adictive combat that makes it a blast to play all the time (more with the 2 melee characters than with the projectile based one though), and the awesome music really helps too. I do think they should have changed the level design somewhat between the 3 characters, since it can be repetitive even by the second playtrough, let alone the third one, some of the bosses really sucked and the stories themselves are just fine, not bad but nothing amazing and I have problems with how they are told in some ways (plus Hugo story felt like a copy of Sasuke's from Naruto), so maybe not a game for the story over gameplay crowd, but is still a very solid game and can't wait to play more games in the series.

All of them on Switch btw

Last edited:
1) Super Metroid (NSW)
2) Metroid Fusion (Wii U)
3) Metroid Dread (NSW)

4) Sonic Frontiers (PS5)

Sonic Frontiers surprised me. After the initial month-long IGN reveal last June I was convinced the game was going to be terrible, but the concept was so compelling that I wanted to try it for myself anyway. And it turns out, Frontiers is awesome! I put 24 hours into the game and came away with the platinum. The game is just nonstop fun. Here's hoping Sonic Team is able to take what they have here and run with it!

I'm in a bit of an unfortunate situation where I've started a lot of good games, but part of the way through I've lost motivation to beat them. I don't know why :(. It can't be gaming burnout because I just got back into games last December after a long break and I still feel like playing, just not anything I've made significant progress in. Sucks that it means I'll beat less games soon. Oh well.

1. Mario Party Superstars (NS) [Finished January 1st, 2023] - 8
2. Bayonetta (NS) [Finished January 2nd, 2023] - 8.5
3. Pikmin (GC) [Finished January 5th, 2023] - 8.5
4. Pikmin 2 (GC) [Finished January 17th, 2023] - 6:

This is honestly one of the worst Nintendo games I've ever played, maybe straight up the worst by their internal teams at least. It fixes a lot of the control issues that the original Pikmin had, and the standard Pikmin gameplay is about as good as ever, but the dungeons are such a turn off. Only about 5-7 of them represent a challenge, but those that do are filled to the brim with really bad level design and bullshit gimmicks. But what's even worse than that is how tedious the game is. My god, I've never played something that is this much of a slog to get through. 100%ing the game takes about 30 hours. 30 hours. In a fucking Pikmin game. And not to mention the terrible balancing act of the new Pikmin types, which at best give the player an overwhelming hand with which to crush enemies with, and at worse means the player will have to beat the game.

I wish there was a Pikmin game with this level of content and challenge, while also retaining this level of control, that was just Pikmin, and not a poor imitation of a dungeon crawler, but alas. A 6 is being very generous, it's just because I really enjoyed the first ~10+ hours or so. After that it was a struggle to beat.

Anyways I'm going to rank the games I've played so far:
1. Pikmin
2. Bayonetta
3. Mario Party Superstars
4. Pikmin 2

Nice!

I've been playing some older titles and cleaning up backlog. Up until now, I've beaten...

(0.) Legends Arceus - I strictly finished it on January 2nd, but I think this deserves to count on the 2022 list rather than here.
1. Super Mario Land - fun to play as an oddity, I don't thinkI will ever pick it up again.
2. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - sooooo much better, the leap between the two games is huge, and this being an OG Gameboy game is amazing.
3. Super Mario Land 3: WarioLand - and the third one, this was one of my childhood games and although it's remarkably easy, I find it a little superior to 6 Golden Coins and, well, the difference with the first one is simply amazing.
4. Inside - it was... cool? but tedious on some parts. I was a little dissapointed, to be quite honest. It's not bad by any means (it's fun!) but, I don't know, all that buzz surrounding it... i was a little hyped and it didn't pay off that much. That said, I loved that Akira-esque ending. that's for sure.

And now, I'm playing GC Twilight Princess at home whenever I can manage to have some time alone, It Takes Two with my SO, and, on the bus and generally on the go, Three Hopes. The first two... I'm loving them - Twilight Princess is the last remaining Zelda I had, and a game I played when I was a child but never was I able to go further than the third dungeon; now I'm on the last one and I love it. It Takes Two, totally different game, but very Mario-esque on its approach to one level-one idea phylosophy. But Three Hopes... yeah, I'm not feeling it. After +200h on Three Houses and ~150h on Age of Calamity, I was over the moon with the release of this one, but I'm finding it... kinda tedious? I couldn't care less about the main character and it's a retelling of something that I spent 200 hours in, so nothing new on this front. I don't know if I'll finish it or I'll let it down in some days.

1. Super Mario Land
2. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
3. Super Mario Land 3: WarioLand
4. Inside
5. Twilight Princess (GC)
6. Three Hopes (1/3)

I've finally done it!! After... what, 13 years? I've managed to beat Twilight Princess!! It's a strange feeling - not proud, but similar. And yes, I've love it. But, as happened to me as I was playing Wind Waker a couple months ago, I really, really want to experience them handheld. I almost never play on TV, and I don't like it so much, with a lot of days between sessions, so it has definitely harmed my enjoyment of it. Just port them to Switch, please.

And... first route on Three Hopes done! It finally clicked, but not like... a lot a lot. Just enough to enjoy the experience, but I need for sure some time in between until I try the next rout (just experienced Dimitri, next in line is Claude, same as my original playthrough for Three Houses). It was fine, but worse than both the real Fire Emblem and Age of Calamity, so a little dissapointed. Still making progress with It Takes Two, tho, I think in a week or so it'd be finished!

Next, more backlog time until TotK: Metro 2033 and, after that, Star Wars for the Game Boy. That one is gonna be tough.

2-6 - Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, Metroid Samus Returns, Metroid Dread (replays)

Did all of these for the Metroid badge challenge. Lumping them all together. Have to say, they all are good! Dread is the best probably, but have a soft spot for zero mission. So much fun to replay all of these again.

Game Two
Gunstar Heroes
[Sega Genesis Classics, Switch]
[4 out of 5]

For the Exploring NSO thread, I began playing Light Crusader. While I ultimately bounced off of that game, I became very intrigued about the studio behind it - Treasure. The night after going to a barcade, I was looking for a fun Sunday morning game to play and zoomed through most of Gunstar Heroes in one sitting. I finished it that evening. It's a very fun Contra-style game that seems to borrow inspiration from games like Gradius for both the weapon system and a later level with a great gameplay twist. One recurring boss - Seven Force - is especially inspired: it's a giant mech that switches between seven forms and attack patterns. Everything is very smooth. Considering the amount of action, the game runs very well and looks good. While it was very fun, I do wonder if I will remember it for long. The studio prides itself in making unique games for their own pleasure, and I'm all about that, but the world here does come across a little generic. This game made me want to eventually explore more of Treasure's work, especially Ikaruga. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it.

Imma do this
My backloggd account is Rikuncy and I currently have a list of games people recommended to me so if you have any you want to recommend shoot me a dm I'm trying to get into different genres! Any console/pc/whatevs game is fine :D

January 6: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade (First Time Replayed, Normal Mode, PS5) - 10/10

The first playthrough was on PC but, I've been a fan of FF7 since 2009/2010 (like 7 at the time?) and wasn't able to play the remake until it came out on PC, also didn't play og until like 2021. I looove both games but I prefer the remake, though that's just more of a personal feeling. I know there's a vocal minority of remake haters from og lovers but the game is so dear to me and inspires me a lot in my video game dev. career. This is one of the games where when I replayed it the scenes hit much more for me, I'm going to cry so hard in Rebirth LMAO. I don't know how to put my love for this game in words since I'd be better at speaking it but just the game is dear to me :)

January 8: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (First Time Completion, Wii) - 7/10

UHMMM UHHHHHHHHHHHM I could've given this a 6/10 but the ending was so nice. I just hate the motion controls SOOOO bad that it brought it to a 7, could've been 6 though.

January 14: Mario Party (First Time Played, Nintendo 64 NSO) - 5/10
January 15: Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (First Time Completed, Azure Glean Route, "NSW") - 6/10
February 9: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (First Time Completed, NSO GBA) - 8/10
February 11: Virtua Fighter 2 (First Time Played, NSO Sega Genesis) - 5/10
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (First Time Played, NSO Sega Genesis) - 6/10
Columns (First Time Played, NSO Sega Genesis) - 6/10

Last edited:
January was a busy month for me gaming wise, even if the stats don't show it.

Mario Party 1 (Switch)- I wrote more extensively about the game here. Overall it was nice to stroll down memory lane, but I feel like MP2 will be a much better experience when I get around to it.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)- I talked about my time with this game here. I like Prime 1 more, but this was really good!

Besides that, I made it 80% of the way through Prime 3 before my Wii lenses crapped out. Don't know if or when I will get back into it. Please pray for my Wii. Currently I am very deep into Fire Emblem: Engage. ~45 hours in and I'm getting somewhat close to the end. Fantastic game!

Today I finished my 5th playthrough of Pokemon Sword, and my 8th playthrough of the Galar games overall. One of these days I gotta put up a longform post about why I enjoy that region and those games so much, I just have to figure out the best way to write it that's not just me making a list, although maybe a list is the best way to go about it!

I finished seven games this month:

1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
4. ElecHead
5. Resident Evil 2
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. GoldenEye 007

If I can keep this up that'll be 80+ games this year, which wouldn't be too shabby!

#1. Enter the Matrix

Started in 2022 and finished two times in a row, firstly with Ghost on normal difficulty and then with Niobe on hard difficulty. I was doing a couple more playthoughs switching the difficulties between characters, but I dropped them because it was always the same experience. Considering also the time spent in the hacking minigame, I think I invested around 30/35 hours on this game (and that's a lot more than what it truly has to offer).

I played it on PC (bought a copy in good conditions on eBay with CDs and manual for $15 shipped) and I think it's enjoyable with mouse+keyboard, especially since the combat system is basic - there are only a few combos - and the rest is all shooting.
This game can be described as a project both out of its time and too ambitious.
After 20 years I can see what the Wachowskis aimed to do, but there are two big pain points that afflicts this game:

- storywise: there is no structure, it's just a bunch of moments lived by Niobe/Ghost that are complementary to the events that take place before and during Matrix Reloaded. Actually, it's really cool that some scenes were exclusively filmed for the game, but you must remember the movie very well because this was intended to be played right after watching it and there are no recaps, explainations, etc.
You also never feel like being the main protagonist or living the story of the characters since they just "react" to what happens around Neo & Co.
I liked Ghost more than Niobe, he really deserved more than what he got; the philosphy that drives him fits perfectly in the Matrix universe.

- gameplaywise: it's funny and works in terms of spectacularity and loyalty to the kind of action portrayed by the movies, but at the end the day it tries to do too many different things (third person shooter, rail shooter, hack 'n' slash, driving) without being able to shine in any of them.
The rail shooting and driving sections are especially horrible and they even focused the last level on them!

Anyway, I really liked some things: discovering Ghost's personality, exploring the chateau, fighting with iconic kung-fu moves from the movies and stuff like that; if it wasn't for being a Matrix title I wouldn't have played it, but that's how the tie-in marketing work.

Last edited:
24. Super Lucky's Tale

I decided to get a GamePass and checked out a cute platformer game. Glad to know AS I FINISHED IT that "New" Super Lucky's Tale is but a remake.
The original is passable. Cute and entertaining enough that I won't abandon it in the post-game, but has a feeling of a $15 indie game at most, not something that Microsoft marketed once. Graphics are a bit janky, the controls are floaty, but every level is short and unique enough so it's worth playing if you want that sort of game but have played most other alternatives.

7. GoldenEye 007
Finishing 007 for your 7th game of the year nets you some style points.

#1. Enter the Matrix
Oh wow, I never did play this. Is it on Steam?

Kinda embarrassing that I haven’t been able to contribute much to this thread haha, but I swear I’ll be done with Prey soon. I actually already finished the main campaign a while back, just reloaded a previous save to try and do some side quests differently and also screw around with the game systems.

iu

#1 Deep Rock Galactic
After sixty-ish hours I've promoted one of four classes as far as a I can, unlocked the majority of weapons, completed main quest events and every mission type except the bonus deep dives- not to say I've completed the game entirely by any means, but I've certainly "beat" it in my mind. I could be dropped into any squad of happy dwarves and rock/stone until the break of dawn!!!1 I haven't played a cooperative multiplayer game like this since the glorious blazes of Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead 2, and I'm sure I'll eventually 100% it over the years with whatever additional seasons release (two planned at least I think?). The community is super kind and gets in the spirit of teamwork, rarely if ever have I encountered a griefer on PC, less than five total in sixty hours for sure.

The random procedural generation really holds up in this, way more than most I've played, each wave and level really do feel unique in their biomes still.

Rated 11 out of 10 shiny extracted gems. 💎 A perfect drop-in session multiplayer game.

#2. Dragon Quest

All of a sudden after Christmas holidays I got the desire to play the Dragon Quest Trilogy collection for Nintendo Switch.
Many years ago I played the Game Boy Color version of Father Jrpg and really enjoyed the game: straight and Classic with the uppercase since it is the classic one.

The remastered version brings brand new character models, enemies and backgrounds, all from master Toriyama, that look awesome. It's a shame that the devs did a lazy job regarding environments and interiors that remained almost untouched.

The game itself was pretty much as I remembered and brought me a lot of nostalgia.
Super traditional story, the purest 1vs1 turn-based combat system and the typical hero's journey scheme. What else? If you like the genre you have to play Dragon Quest sooner or later since it's the prototype of any other title launched after 1986.
Oh, I never used the quick save system in order to stay true to the original experience. Also, I never had to grind too much thanks to my memories (helped by the fact that's a pretty short adventure).

Beating it is still very satisfying nowadays!

25. Disc Room

A fun arcadey game where you go into different rooms and dodge various saw discs. Part puzzle part survival, it's very fun, but very short. Got through normal mode with 88% completion. Didn't unlock a few rooms because I have no idea how, but won't spoil it for myself because I'll probably go back to it some day.
Don't want to bother with hard mode or various "complete the game with X requirement" because I'm not that type of gamer.
Still, recommend to everyone who is. Otherwise, it's like an hour long.

Here we go! Hoping to clear out some of the backlog before Octopath II hits.

January
1. Skyward Sword HD [NSW]
2. Captaid Toad: Treasure Tracker: Special Episode (DLC) [NSW]
3. Final Fantasy VII [NSW]
4. The Last Campfire [NSW]
5. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger [NSW]
6. Sudoku #1 [NSW]
7. Bayonetta 3 [NSW]
8. Professor Layton and the Lost Future [NDS]

Cuphead [NSW] - Co-op with wife
The Legend of Zelda: Champions Ballad

Octopath Traveler II [NSW]
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon [NSW]
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom [NSW]

Axiom Verge
Stardew Valley
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Halo
Live A Live

To end January I beat Professor Layton and the Lost Future. Had me going on and off for a while but I set my mind to finish it a few weeks ago and I really liked it, a bit emotional and to finally see Hershel without his hat was cool. Good looking fella. Possibly the best game of the 4 I've played.

Felt good playing and beating a lot of games in January, cleaning out a lot of backlog.

Currently very much anticipating Octopath 2 so I am having a bit of a hard time currently to start up games that takes too much time to get in to... been trying both Trails from Zero and Sakuna of Rice and Ruin lately and while I think I like both, they demand a bit too much of me right now so I will probably put them away for the time being.

Instead I decided to start Champions ballad which I despite thinking BotW is the GOAT never played. According to my cloudsave it's been 4 years since I played BotW so I am a bit rusty but damn, I'm so happy to be strollin down Hyrule again..

I hope you get to play the Great Ace Attorney games, those are awesome as well.
I started Ace Attorney Investigations for now. I've become invested in the series but needed a partial departure to unwind.

The first one is a great game that was going to be a one and done thing and since it's self-reliant, it just hits different. For me it's very close to T&T, but the ost is the absolute best in the series. There's a reason why the first Cornered theme has become so iconic.

25.5 Dawn of Sorrow

Does dying to the final boss and quitting count? Nope, but I have beaten the game before and could now, I just kinda soured on it. Been a week, probably won't return to it any time soon, but figured I'd vent, so giving it a .5 score
I love doing Luck builds in Castlevania games! Igavania games are weird about their drops and it's fantastic. You can get coffee, or a suit, or a magic vacuum that steals souls - it's so interesting. I'm not into grinding into games, but Castlevanias are the only ones where weird stuf you get pushes me to kill an enemy a few more times. So I pretty much lost all interest in the game when I discovered that in this game, Luck stat is fucking borked. How do you do this?!
Dawn of Sorrow is even more reliant on enemy soul drops than its predeccessor. Not only do you get cool abilities, and need them to progress sometimes, but also you need souls to craft better weapons.
So I went through the majority of the game gettign steamrolled because I refused to switch out my Dancer Soul and my dumb 777 shirt, which, turns out, was all for nothing, since getting past 36 Luck gives you like a 0.001% bonus every level and Dancer souls don't even raise the luck that counts towards the appearance of souls. What.

26. Escape Academy

A cute point-and-click about various escape rooms. Pretty short but sweet with some DLC available, which I couldn't play. Probably a bit too easy (I solved most puzzles with more than half the time limit to spare), but still enjoyable if you like this sort of thing. Also it's a bit of a VN but eh, those elements are pretty mediocre and I ended up skipping them by the end.

#3. Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line

Jumped right into the second after finishing the first one.
You can clearly see how things growth fast even in these years: everything is expanded and there's a general feeling of playing a "complete" game. I liked a lot the lore connections between the two, just brief ones that add continuity to the story.

I had memories of a peak in difficulty at the end of the game and that has been confirmed, but not as high as i remembered.
Indeed, I found that the final challenge was greatly balanced. About the exploration, at a certain point (when you get the ship) everything opens in front of you and I got lost a few times not knowing exactly what to do, but that was a new introduction and part of the intended experience: roaming around to see what's out there.

I truly enjoyed the game this time, a lot more than when I played it on Game Boy Color. I think that my approach has made the difference: nowadays, I can contextualize it better than before when my knowledge was limited at early 2000s source of information and I was younger.
Retrogaming tastes so different depending on your point of view at a certain time.

And this was my last game of january!

Not a full game, but... Pokémon Scarlet post-game

I was taking it slow, but honestly after playing it i should have rushed in either way.

The gym leader rematches and school tournament were cool, and you get three new school places open, but it's nothing more than a curiosity. The real meat is on the legendary Pokémon quest, and i have mixed feelings about that one.

I found cool that the gimmick to unlock these Pokémon is based on exploration, and that it's so well built into the lore, but i found the quest itself rather annoying because only two of the four legendaries actually have the sealing black stakes disseminated close to the place of their sealing, the other two have you looking for very unlikely places that made no actual sense. That actually soured me a little on the quest.

The Pokémon designs are great though, they're not as grandiloquent as the other legendaries, and give me an Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres feel in their simplicity and type coding. I may even train them for the online.

2nd game finished for 2023 is Prey! About time. Think it’s the mark of a great game that after I’d finished the main campaign I immediately wanted to try out out other stuff or search out stuff I missed. God I love immersive sims, can we get more of those.

My problem now is that I legit don’t know what to play next. Thinking about booting up the Switch and clearing some games there so I can free up some space on the SD card. Think I have Wintermoor Tactics Club, Metro 2033, Agent A, etc. over there but I could also just go and play more MH: Rise. Hmmm.

1. Desperados III [ PC ] - 9
2. Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path ( Replay ) [ DS*] - 10
3. Resident Evil Deadly Silence [ DS*] - 8.5
4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 8.5
5. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box [ DS ] - 7
6. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future [ DS ] - 7

*Bayonetta 3 - Got at the very least platinum on standard difficulty, given how the game structures and saves its scores is probably the only action game I'll ever do this for.

Fn6VEK8aQAApLgp

7. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 9

I have to replay every Ace Attorney at least once, still have to do one for SoJ and the GAA games at some point, now DD is off that list.

I still really like this game, it manages to give each attorney its time in the spotlight and succeeds to balance it out for the most part, is also a game with a very incremental quality, it starts good and every case just gets better and better, culminating in a finale worth of the Ace Attorney name, there is some stuff that I remember better now after this replay, forgot how good Blackquill is both as a prosecutor seeking the truth while at the same time being a good time taunting the defense, and how much better Apollo is in this game as a character, well to begin with he gets an actual character unlike the game with his name on it, I adore Apollo in Spirit of Justice, but I got a good reminder of the effort DD does to make him stand out better as his own character. Stuff as clear as ever is how much I like Athena, that Phoenix is back to being Phoenix, the great transition to 3D in the effort to maintain the style of animations the sprites had, and another banger soundtrack, that has a mix of tunes of the traditional AA style and some of that AA4 more subdued electronic music, also how fucking good case 3 and on are.

Gameplay wise, the investigations parts took a hit in quality, only allowing to examine at very specific points, limiting the evidence gathering aspect as well as the flavor text from the other games, thankfully this was fixed in both GAA and SoJ. The spotlight of mechanics don't fare as well as the spotlight of the attorneys themselves in the game, the magatama from Wright and bracelet from Apollo get less use than the Mood Matrix from Athena, but I'm happy they get that continuity in universe even if they don't have as many sections as their individual games (which makes sense), plus their context in the story in the last case is fantastic enough to make up for it Athena's black psyche locks breaking, and Apollo using an eyepatch to try to not suspect Athena from her tells with the bracelet are peak shit, also thankfully the Matrix is really good, and the courtroom segments are really good as well.

Difficulty is a tough balancing act in Ace Attorney, sometimes I think of the argument about how Bayonetta 2 is easier than 1, where I feel the correct term would be that is more polished, 1 has a lot of bs and weird design that I wouldn't call a fair difficulty. Likewise Ace Attorney in the older games has some parts where the game can be a bit too obtuse with which evidence you must present in a given cross examination, how to trigger some stuff in the investigation segments where you aren't really following a logical end, it doesn't happen super often where it would become a giant issue, but it does happen. All that being said, the "easier" difficulty in the later games is more the result of polishing those parts to make the structure and unfolding of the mystery is better, and I think in games like DD, the Investigations games, and SoJ, there are still parts meant to use your brain while not being obtuse in parts of its design, mechanics like the mood matrix and divination seanse work as those more open challenges for the player, and the hints from the playable lawyer and their assistants, and general hand holding never get as bad as the Great Ace Attorney games.

Story wise it can be disappointing if someone likes AA4, I don't like that game much so can't say I care about some shifts in narrative, I'm happy Wright is himself again, that Apollo is an actual character, and that the game isn't just theme driven and still has the character driven aspects that made these games great. In retrospective after 4, one thing that isn't dropped is that theme driven narrative, themes in the original trilogy were more present in specific parts of the climax or specific cases while instead putting a major focus on the character drama, and games after 4 balance those themes with the characters, they make their statements about law and all that, but also keep that drama and development of the cast as part of that narrative, the Investigations games achieve that, so does DD and SoJ, as well as the Great Ace Attorney games. The cases themselves in DD are really good, case 2 while not as heavy of an overall plot relevance has some very fun twists, case 3 is pretty kino, and so is the overall finale, this game and Investigations 2 have to honor of getting the best final villain reveal in the entire series, the realization of it all and how it all unfolds is pure brlliance.

So yea, game still good, where is AA7 Capcom.

Completed Game #2: Final Fantasy X

In the spirit of full transparency, the game crashed during the final boss so I wound up watching a youtube video of the ending. But I've had it on Switch for a while and I've been dying to revisit it, as it was my first Final Fantasy. And I had a few takeaways!

#1) it's crazy how much the voice acting wavers in quality. It was the early days of the PS2, it may even have been the very first Squaresoft game with voices. But with the remastered visuals, I think some editing should've gone to the audio as well.

#2) this is an incredibly linear game, that has a sole focus on tone. It's funny to play this and look back on the scrutiny FF13 got because this is arguably even more linear. There's nowhere to go but north here. But the journey is so somberly heartwarming that you never really notice.

#3) the Sphere Grid is pretty cool and turn-based combat actually doesn't have to feel dated and limited. Switching out any member of your party at any time creates utility for nearly every member.

#4) don't give the option to rename a character if A) the character has a canon name and B) the other characters in the game talk to you directly. He should've just been called Tidus and been referred to that way.

#5) bring back FMVs interwoven through actual cutscenes. I started Fire Emblem Engage finally and this has sort of the same type of cutscene treatment, where there are general cutscene moments and then extra special moments reserved for the big-time CG.

Overall, I really liked revisiting FFX. Since the pandemic I've been trying to play as many Final Fantasy's as I can, and I've played VII, VIII (bounced off it), IX (just got distracted from it) and now X. And I think X is really strong. The next FF game I play is likely going to be XII, next time The Zodiac Age goes on sale for Switch.

Last edited:
Finished in 2023 #2: Spark the Electric Jester (PC)

LakeFeperd is a game dev that is well known in the Sonic fan game scene. His creations, Sonic: Before the Sequel, Sonic: After the Sequel, and Sonic Chrono Adventure, are solidly popular games, though I've only seen them and haven't played them myself beyond an hour of BTS. LakeFeperd was able to leverage the development chops he honed in those titles to create his own original title, one which has since received two sequels. Pretty impressive stuff!

You can definitely see the Sonic roots in Spark. Levels flow pretty similarly, with multiple paths and plenty of speedy setpieces. One of the powers even has a rolling move that helps you go faster on downward slopes. But said powers are where the game helps to differentiate itself. Spark has a greater focus on combat with its chargable attacks, special meter for more powerful moves, and a dash that can be used for dodging or parrying (especially with its many bosses). The many jester powers give you new abilities for combat or additional platforming tools. My favorites were the electric bat (a basic yet effective upgrade to Spark's standard moveset), wind (weaker offensively but gives you a triple jump and am air dash), knight (a Lance with a powerful charge forward attack, great range, and a shield ability that can absorb a hit), hammer (some of the fastest special charge speed for devastating attacks), and the magical form (gives me big Star Rod vibes). I didn't like every Power, but you'll definitely find some to like, and there's even a few ones that have environmental impacts, like using ice or the hoverboard to cross water. And since you can carry two at a time, you have some room to mix and match abilities.

I generally enjoyed my time with the title. The meaty levels were well paced between enemy encounters and platforming, bosses had interesting patterns to learn (working well with the many powers), and the music was energetic and got me through the adventure. There were a few weak points, though. Levels can sometimes feel a little too straightforward, in the sense that I flowed through them without too much engagement. Rarely bad, and it's not like I wasn't doing platforming and combat, but it felt like something was missing, and with an abundance of health pickups and six total hit points, I only died a couple of times in the Stages themselves (as opposed to the bosses, who weren't super difficult but put up more of a challenge overall). Perhaps it doesn't help that the main collectible of the game only serves to give you a free revive after filling a meter, something you may only get a chance at every few levels. I also did not care for the story very much - it's initially pretty interesting and even amusing (Spark lost his job to robots and wants to get his job back, only to end up stopping a rogue robot and his AI army while contending with his own seemingly evil robot duplicate, the very reason he lost his job in the first place), but the execution and writing left much to be desired. It's a bit messy and oddly paced. But the game itself is pretty fun, and there's lots of stuff to do after the main adventure, including a hard mode (perhaps that will balance the game better?), extra adventure with Fark, and a mode that lets you switch between all of the powers at any time. At some point I'll go in and do those other modes.

I am very curious to play the two sequels, since they place less emphasis on the Jester powers and turn the action from 2D to 3D. I heard some raving about 3 in particular. Will the smaller power counts and change in direction lead to a more focused experience? Will I enjoy the story any more? We'll hopefully find out this year!

Game 3: Arcade Paradise(switch)
Solid and addicting game. Finished the good and surprisingly touching story. Will probably go back for those goals at a later date. Some of the arcade minigames didn’t click with me but they were all solid. Shocked by the lack of a platformers tho

Jan 2023 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Jan 2023 - Miracle Snack Shop (Korean Philia route)
Jan 2023 - Cruis'n Blast
Feb 2023 - Persona 5 Royal

After 130 hours, I finally rolled credits on P5R. What an experience. I've played some SMT games before but this is my first Persona game. Everything is so stylish. It took a while to get used to but once it clicks... everything is so smooth. Running down the streets of Shibuya or Akiba is quite a nostalgic experience. It might not be a faithful 100% recreation of the actual place but it gets close.

Ryuji and Yusuke are my bros. I read quite a lot of Ryuji slander online but I think that when things go to shit, he is a guy you can really depend on. If there's a Ryuji fan club out there, sign me up. All the other characters are so likeable too. I took my time and enjoyed the chill vibes. But I can't help but wished that there was enough time for me to go max out everyone's confidant level. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of P5R concept artbook?

Now, I've managed to try the first few hours of Persona 5 Strikers as well. A couple of immediate thoughts so far.

• I know that this came out BEFORE P5R was ported to the Switch... but I wish Atlus had released a patch that mapped the inputs to P5R's one.
  • I also kinda wish that P5S had the connectivity to P5R's save game data. So that things like Joker's real name (and maybe his romantic partner/s) can carry over
  • P5S takes place at least half a year after the end of P5 so there's some distance. Everyone was 'long time no see' and it was a happy get-together again. BUT having just rolled credits the day earlier... I started wondering if I should just give myself half a year before picking up P5S too.
  • Probably not. If I don't just keep the momentum going, I might never pick up P5S ever again.

Game Three
Sonic the Hedgehog
[Sega Genesis Classics, Switch]
[4/5]

The first Sonic game is pretty good! A couple levels like Labyrinth Zone are nothing special, and I would have preferred a variety of boss fights rather than all Robotnik fights, but it's a solid debut.

The vibe is right. I gave it the same score as Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Ristar. I would put this just a tiny bit behind those two but still very good.

Game Four

Super Mario Bros. 2
[NES Online, Switch]
[3.5/5]

I am playing this and the Lost Levels back to back and greatly prefer the Lost Levels. This is a competent platformer with an interesting history. It feels a little buggy and honestly a little ugly, but there are some great characters here. We all know shy guys and Birdo, but when will the Flurry have its moment in the sun?

I'm still processing how I feel about this game.

Previous:
01. Melatonin
02. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
03. Pentiment

04. stitch.
Fun little puzzle game on Apple Arcade. It has a great embroidery aesthetic and has you filling in hoops in specific ways dictated by numbers laid on a grid. Gives me a Picross sort of feeling. There are lots of hoops to work on, themed weekly hoops, a “free stitch” mode that lets you custom colour any image you’ve completed…just a very well put together game that already has ongoing support. [VERDICT — Play With Tea or Coffee in a Comfy Seat Out of Ten]

05. Castle Crumble
I can’t recall exactly when it felt like a million knock-shit-down-and-watch-physics-happen games were coming out, but Castle Crumble feels like a throwback to that — in a good way! It looks great (especially on an iPad), has a nice soundtrack and mostly importantly of all gives you a convincing physics model that makes toppling the game’s many structures a delight. Not hard, not particularly original. But lots of satisfaction! [VERDICT — Tames My Lizard Brain Out of Ten]

REPLAYS
Diablo III
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Alan Wake
Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
Quantum Break
Control Ultimate Edition

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back