• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2022 Games Completed Thread |ST|

1. Spiritfarer
2. Cthulhu Saves Christmas
3. Pokemon Legends Arceus
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy
6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
7. The Darkside Detective
8. Kirby's Dreamland (replay)
9. Kirby's Adventure (replay)
10. Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling
11. Bit Orchard: Animal Valley

12. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (replay)

This is a replay, even though I haven't played this since the original release. I originally played through it as a Blockbuster rental lol. Still really enjoyed my time with it, even if it's much more simpler compared to modern Kirby games. I still like the creativity of combining powers, and the cutscenes are still charming.

55. Metroid (NES) [10/10]

The first and best game in one of my favorite series. A game that gives an unparalleled sense of exploration and some of the best black backgrounds in the business, all without overstaying its welcome. This time around I learned how to go to the password screen straight away, and with some quick E tank planning managed to easily get the bikini babe ending. I like Super Metroid but it's a shame the series never returned to this style of game, it's as good as it gets.

It's been a while since my last update, things that happen when you decide to play Xenoblade and...

#11. Fire Emblem Three Houses

Beat the Blue Lions route this time, which is the second route I clear after Verdant Wind and the DLC campaign. This route is a lot more involved plot-wise than the Golden Deer route, with a lot more character development and stuff like that. It's actually pretty good and really makes you appreciate characters such as Dimitri, Gilbert and Sylvain.

One day I plan to play the Black Eagles route, but I want to play some other games before I go around to doing that.

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
2) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS)
3) Pokémon: Shining Pearl (NSW)
4) Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
6) Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
9) Kirby Super Star (NSW)
I played the Spring Breeze mode yesterday for the community badge, then today I decided to play the rest of the modes. Tons of fun and charm to be found here!

One new: Trek to Yomi. It's a good Game Pass game in the sense that I'm glad I got to play it but I probably would have regretted buying it. The best part is going through some breathtaking vistas in this Kurosawa-inspired aesthetic. Other than that there's really not that much to it. The combat feels needlessly complex with no convenient way to try the moves outside of combat. Towards the end I switched to Easy difficulty because the enemy spam was getting on my nerves. And the story has very little of the humanity or charm that Kurosawa's pictures are known for, plus [mid-game spoilers] I didn't really care for the supernatural aspects of the game, even though I think a more restrained presentation would have worked more in its favour. All in all I left somewhat disappointed.

And one old: Had an unfinished save of Rayman Legends on my Switch and thought I'd finally see the game to the end. Like Origins, perhaps even more so, it's one of these games that I will enjoy playing but never ever in a million years go for 100% completion. There's just too much to do and I was content just playing through the main game and a little of the bonus stuff. I think it has higher highs than Origins but the levels with Murphy are often rather annoying. Still, very good game and I wish Ubisoft had made another one.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
10. Far: Changing Tides
11. Monument Valley 2+
12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
13. The Last Friend
14. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
15. Yoku's Island Express
16. Metroid Dread
17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends

Kirby 64!

I should really get some focus on and clear some stuff while I have downtime this week. Also still need to dig in here and figure out my clear total

56. Flappy Bird (Android) [10/10]
Pac Land reminded me I don't have this on my newest phone so I downloaded. Set a goal of 100 as having "beat" it but I'll still be playing more. This is definitely a perfect game and probably the best game to release in a few decades when it came out. It's biggest flaw was suffering from success to the point the creator had a mental breakdown or whatever. But the bird flaps on.

57. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy) [8/10]

What I will affectionately call "the most compelling boring ass game ever made". Compared to the previous game Wario is huge, slow, unwieldy, and turns into a little baby at the drop of a hat. The music is seemingly purposefully bad and annoying, most of the levels are unremarkable, and the game just goes on and on. But it's all worth it for that treasure baby.

This is my second time playing the game. I went for 100% completion and was happy to find that the best ending is easier to get than the internet would have you believe.

Cosmic Star Heroine was pretty fun. Doesn't have a super engaging story or anything but it's a very good distillation of JPRG mechanics in a ~10h game. It manages to be sufficiently complex without feeling overwhelming, giving the player tons of tools and options for synergies between the 10 characters. The weakpoint is the aforementioned story. The writing is passable but I feel some of the story beats are a little bit too short but that's owed to the brisk pace. Ultimately, I still think it's a good trade-off but it sticks out.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
16. Metroid Dread
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends
20. Cosmic Star Heroine

Hard agree on Cosmic Star Heroine. It’s a good thing I don’t really care about story in my games, so I can still safely say it’s one of my recent favorite turn-based RPGs.

13th game finished, and it’s Cuphead! This time I pushed myself to get A+ on every level. Hella hard but it is the kind of adrenaline-pumping fast-paced difficulty I enjoy. Still one of my absolute favorite games of all time.

6. Virginia

As a palette cleanser, a short game and I left impressed. A quirky game about an FBI agent caught in something strange is very testing.
7. Ghost of Tsushima

About 50 hours after starting my journey with Jin Sakai I platinumed it. It was a beautiful ride. Its one of the more gorgeous looking games on PS4 and the setting is fantastic. Gameplay loop got a bit repetitive and I was getting Days Gone vibes, but the setting and and the far more interesting characters helped a lot.

I think the game was a bit longer than it needed to be, but overall a very enjoyable game. Solid 8 out of 10.

#12. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

I've seen some people compare this game to Kirby's Dream Land 3 and I think it's a very accurate comparison, since both games share basically the same strengths and weaknesses. Copy abilities have very simple movesets, which is lame when compared to what games like Super Star do. However, the game lets you combine abilities which at least adds some variety to the gameplay.

Where the game shines, IMO, is in how charming it is. The graphics are very pretty for a N64 title and the little animations and cutscenes really add a lot to the game. Overall, though, I feel it's on the weaker side of the Kirby franchise alongside Dream Land 3. I much prefer the gameplay style of Super Star, with more developed movesets, more challenging boss fights and an Arena as endgame content.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a somewhat middling metroidvania that tells a seemingly inconsequential story set in the same world as the upcoming game. It’s billed as a prequel which I find a bit silly but alas. It has very bubble wrap vibe to it in the sense that you can spend several hours doing menial work with very little resistance but unlike some other games of this type it knows that you have to end things before the player gets too bored. After 11h I had had enough of the game and it somehow knew because it rolled the credits. I’m curious if this is going to be in any way relevant to Hundred Heroes but aside from some characters and a few lines at the end I somehow doubt it.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
16. Metroid Dread
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends
20. Cosmic Star Heroine
21. Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising

#13. Congo's Caper

Another game of the latest NSO batch, Congo's Caper a pretty simple platformer. It has good controls and both level and boss design are fine enough. It's not gonna blow your mind but it's kinda short so it may be worth a quick try.

13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps : the first game is a very charming platforming Metroidvania. This one is much more focused on combat and, to be honest, does not do a great job at it. Had trouble finishing it, and certainly won't go back.

14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City : Very poorly written like most Rockstar games, controls a little better than GTA III but still not great, it didn't age well. But the work on the city is still great. Vice City has a real soul and it's probably the main success of the game.

15. LEGO Star Wars - The Skywalker Saga : To be completely honest, I didn't 100% it because of a common game-breaking bug that still wasn't fixed since release. I've played a lot of it, though, enough to see that it's a game that tries a lot of new things but doesn't reinvent so much a franchise that keeps its qualities and flaws (mostly poor level design and not so good platforming).

16. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim : The best game I've played in a while. And the best written one since Yakuza 7. A masterpiece that hasn't left my head since I finished it. The Switch version is the superior version.

17. Kirby and the Forgotten Land : Very good platformer, engaging level design and actually quite a lot challenging in the second half. I regret the copy/pasting of the bosses and the grind at the end of the game, but a pleasant surprise nevertheless!

18. Pokémon Legends: Arceus : Possibly the best Pokémon game in history? Nice reinvention of the game mechanics, fluid and fun gameplay, a lot of effort is put into making the level traversal fluid. Kinda ugly, but I don't really mind. With a few tweaks it could be an almost perfect game.

19. Resident Evil 4 : I'll never get tired of it. The most influential game of the last decade, and it still holds up.

20. The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story : a nicely written FMV story, with good acting and beautiful shots. Lacks a bit of interactivity to be truly fun, but if you like the genre you'll probably enjoy it.

21. SteamWorld Dig : A replay, because it's a nice and short Metroidvania with excellent and addictive mechanics, all set in a creative and fun universe.

22. SteamWorld Dig 2 : Also a replay, and I still love that game. Pretty much fixes all the flaws of the first one. Play it if you never did.

Last edited:
58. Wario World (GameCube) [7.5/10]

A neat little spinoff that doesn't overstay its welcome or overcomplicate itself. Biggest strength is the character designs and music. Biggest flaw is that the money is just a life system, the treasures do nothing, and the endings depend on how many weird little freaks you find in the world. Props for being the only game made by this dev that I thought was good enough to finish.

Last edited:
So it turns out I never talked about my April games so it is a two for one special!

April-
15. Jak and Daxter: The Precurcor Legacy (PS4)- I've been a big fan of Naughty Dog and platformers, but I never touched Jak. For my first experience, it was fun. The game aged decently enough to where it is still playable. 7.5/10
16. Guardians of the Galaxy (XSS)- I would have been fine paying $20~30 for this game, but getting it on Gamepass was a nice bonus. 8/10, definitely worth a play though.
17. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Switch)- This is one of those games where I came in super excited, but didn't come out head over heels. The trials were great, but the lows were really really low. 7/10. I'm not in a hurry to play the sequel.
18. Spy Fox (Switch)- Bought this purely on nostalgia from my childhood. There was a bug that prevented completing the game, but after a month it was patched in. The port is ok. I missed using a mouse though. 6/10

May-
19. Mario Golf (NSO)- It took a while to get all of the characters. Some of those A.I's are brutal. Still a classic and in some ways better than Super Rush.
20. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)- Talked about the game extensively here. 9/10. Long, but awesome.

At this point, I am planning on making June more about shorter games. I need a break from the 40+ hour games lol.

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)

10) Excitebike 64 (Wii U)
This little dirt bike game really holds up! I remember it being fun, fast, and wicked hard, and it’s still all those things in 2022 (thank god for save states!). The bike physics definitely have a learning curve, but when you figure it out and nail a tough section of a track you feel like a god. Excitebike 64 is definitely worth playing still all these years after it came out, and hopefully Nintendo will see fit to put it on NSO so more people can experience it.

59. Punch-Out!! (NES) [9/10]

One of the best games Nintendo's out out... if it had Iron Mike. A game that does a lot with very little that managed to outclass its more powerful prequels and its more powerful sequel. Sometimes simple is best.

60. Balloon Fight (NES) [6/10]

A simple game with not much to offer beyond some good black backgrounds, an interesting Iwata plaigerism anecdote, and arguably the best OST Nintendo has produced. Played to get the #1 rank in Balloon Trip and don't regret it.

YYxn9Aq.png

Last edited:
1. Spiritfarer
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy

13. Voxelgram

I picked this up the other week because it was half off. Closest thing to Picross 3D available on Switch, so I enjoyed my time with it.

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
10) Excitebike 64 (Wii U)

11) Nintendo Switch Sports (NSW)
I’m counting it. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? I’ve played a decent amount, and I’m sure I’ll come back to it occasionally. Probably when golf gets added. But I’m considering it “done” for now. Decent fun to be had here. Too bad it’s not very deep.

1. Spiritfarer
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy
13. Voxelgram

14. Luna's Fishing Garden

Pretty short, but a relaxing, enjoyable game. I always enjoy fishing in video games, and while it's fairly simple in this, I still enjoyed it. There's a small amount of resource management, as some of the later quests ask for specific resources or large amounts of some, but it isn't anything unmanageable. I did have a few moments where I just stepped away and let my resources build up, but it wasn't a huge deal.

Am I late to join this.. my numbers are low

1. The Pathless (ps5) Second playrhrough but liked it even more this time. Like an extended Journey mixed with a shortened BotW
2. Uncharted 4 (ps5)
3. Horizon FW (ps5) It's better than the 1st in a lot ways but overall didn't top it for me. Still great
4. Kirby Forgotten Land (NSW) Loved it! Chill time
5. Uncharted Lost Legacy (ps5)
6. Ghostwire Tokyo (ps5) My surprise of the year so far. There's a lot of open world repetition but that world is visually brilliant and the games whole atmosphere had me addicted

I've played more switch stuff than listed here, just nothing I've beaten (mario kart, grindstone, nso stuff, switch sports)

Last time I played Asura's Wrath I only watched Part IV because I didn't want to buy the DLC. But the game was on sale on Xbox so I took the plunge on the game + the ending DLC (which sadly wasn't on sale) and went through the entire thing again.

What can you say about this game that hasn't been said before? It's a revenge/save-the-daughter story at its core with the most ridiculous Gurren Lagann level flavour. There's really no point in thinking too much about the logistics of the world because it's 100% rule of cool all the time but it still manages to be emotionally resonant when it counts. The gameplay which seamlessly goes from interactive movie (think Dragon's Lair), to brawler to rail shooter is serviceable, could have been better in parts but would it have added that much to the game? I'm not sure. It's a game about pressing a button and seeing cool stuff happen and it does that well with some of the most striking visual presentation I've ever seen. Definitely not a game that's easy to recommend but I still enjoyed it a decade later.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
16. Metroid Dread
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends
20. Cosmic Star Heroine
22. Asura's Wrath

61. Super Punch Out!! (SNES) [6.5/10]

A return to the arcade style of Punch-Out games that doesn't stick the landing. It's just not as fun finding weak spots without the star system, and the game approaches difficulty by making enemies just move around the screen a lot to disorient you. That being said there are a few good characters here, would have liked to see Mad Clown and the Bruisers in future games. Little Mac looks lame. Good body blow sound effect.

1. Hatsune Miku Logic Paint S [Switch]
  2. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages [3DS eshop]
  3. Neo: The World Ends With You [Switch]
  4. VA-11 HALL-A [Switch]
  5. Chicory: A Colorful Tale [Switch]
  6. The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince [Switch]
  7. Death's Door [Switch]
  8. Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection [Vita]
  9. Tunic [Steam]
  10. Chibi-Robo Ziplash! [3DS]
  11. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls [Vita]
  12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [Switch]
  13. Super Metroid [3DS ambassador game]
  14. Spider-Man [PS4]
  15. The Cruel King and the Great Hero [Switch]
I've been trying to push through games I have in my backlog over this year. The first two I started last year but didn't finish until this year.

I just finished The Cruel King and the Great Hero recently. Its a simple rpg styled game. Storybook like art, with a fairytale esque story. You play a young girl named Yuu whose father was a great hero and she wants to be one as well. She's being raised by the Dragon King, who worriedly will watch after Yuu in the background to make sure she doesn't get hurt while she trains. Mechanically its a little slow for my tastes. Opting to only let you run in an area if you've levelled to a point that you are more powerful than the monsters around. Being able to run also reduces the number of random encounters.
Yuu gets one party member per chapter who joins in. They all have their own abilities and you need specific ones in order to open certain treasure chests on the map. There's some side quest stuff as well. I didn't really go back and do these things. The ability to switch out your partners only really seemed to come at the very end of the game and by then I just wanted to see the ending rather than go do any cleanup of loot or side quests. Though maybe I'll go back and do that at some other point.
Overall I liked the story and the art of the game, but would have liked it to feel a bit faster. Maybe being able to speed up the fights or something.

18. Seven Pirates H: Compile Heart games are my guilty pleasure unfortunately. This one is actually a decent rpg and surprisingly with less fanservice than the previous moero chronicles games and that's incluiding the leveling up mechanics. Also is very short (14 hours to get everything).

19. Touken Ranbu Musou: I'm actually suprised with how the final product ended and just reminded me that no site will ever do a decent review of a musou game (that is not Nintendo IP based). The game story actually works as a nice complement to Samurai Warriors as this one follows the historical records of the important battles that SW tends to skim or to adjust for characters events, and the main campaign is very meaty (pun intended) clocking 23 hours to finish it without grinding (to put it in comparison, FEW and Vanilla HW are around 15 hours, AoC around 25 hrs and SW5 around 20) and even if you know nothing about Touken Ranbu the main story revolves arround time travel and fixing the timeline from the baddies so it's nothing complex.

Regarding the battle system, in an effort to make it easier and simple for the people that never played a musou, it let's you make some crazy combos and air juggling since you have infinite dash-cancel and no waiting time to use any of the specials, and even then you have to learn the timing and when to use the specials for each character to manage this (and no, despite what some reviews says, each character has a unique moveset and plays different)

One important thing is that this is the musou with most varied missions, ever. There is the classic "defeat officers and then go for the general", but there are also sneaking missions, puzzle missions, defend base/character missions, help an historic figure without them noticing you (they even have a FoV Indicator), and even have unique bosses with especific mechanics to beat them (as in, you can't mash the attack button to win). And the best part is that since KT designed the missions to kinda emulate the mobile game these are very short maps, so its perfect to play it in small burst (the longest mission I played was around 8 minutes, most of them are around 5 min)

Honestly, the only things I don't like are that there is no way to replay the missions without skipping the dialogue, and that there is some grinding to do if you want to keep your team upgraded (thankfully there is no dropdown rate like HW o FEW, you just get a certain quantity of material at the end of the mission and thats it). Besides this, I'm very happy with how it ended and that it's not a simple cash grab game, it's definitely in my top 10 musou games even with my basic knowledge of the Touken Ranbu franchise

1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
8. Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
11. Kirby and the Forgotten land
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga
13. Castlevania AoS
14. Kirby's Dreamland
15. Stanley Parable Deluxe
16. Chrono Cross
17. Tasomachi

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
2) Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Xbox Series S)
3) Psychonauts 2 (Xbox Series S)
4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (NSO)
5) Dungeon Encounters (Switch)
6) No More Heroes 3 (Switch)
7) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
8) Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch)
9) Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
10) Metroid Dread (Switch)
11) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
Did the Golden Route via New Game Plus. Got a lot if appreciation for this game. It's a slow starter, but the map design, music, visuals and unit balance are fantastic. Glad I went back to it.

That leaves me free to finish the first Mass Effect remaster with plenty of time before the one-two of Three Hopes and Sunbreak. Saying that, I'm probably most of the way through Mass Effect. Some side missions left, but then I'm up to Virmire.

62. Yoshi's Story (N64) [10/10]

The best visuals the N64 has to offer, an amazing an moody sound track, a great story. Good for a quick easy play through but also challenging and repayable. This is the Yoshi game.

1. Skyward Sword HD
2. Arceus Legends

That's it. +45 hours each. Hoping to beat Astral Chain and maybe Metroid Dread before end of July (xenoblade 3).

compared to 2021 (this was a rough year for me personally)
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity?
Hades
No More Heroes 3

Pokemon Sword
Darksiders
Link's Awakening Remake
Final Fantasy X
Xenoblade DE Edition
Animal Crossing

Pokemon Lets Go Eevee
Xenoblade 2 Torna?
No More Heroes Strikes Again
Dark Souls
Octopath Traveler

Xenoblade 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Smash Ultimate

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey

I also have 45 games played, although not all of them have a single player or ones I care to actually beat. I also have DQ11S, W101, and Pikmin 3 unopened.

Last edited:
#1 Shin Megami Tensei V (83h)
#2 Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (5h+)
#3 Taiko no Tatsujin Drum'n'Fun (25h+)
#4 The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (30h+)
#5 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (75h+)
#6 Pokémon Legends Arceus (102h)
#7 The Great Ace Attorney Adventure (35h+)
#8 Rez Infinite (3h)
#9 Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards

It was my first playing this and I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. It's a straightforward fun little game that feels very unique for Kirby, but also familiar for old fans. It's interesting to see the monsters designs in early 3D, kinda like Mario 64 where they were very different from their 2D versions and a bit weird. I really like that you're able to leave a course immediately anytime and still keep the shards you collected, I wasn't expecting this kind of feature in a 64 game so that was welcome. It's still a bit clunky sometimes especially when there is a shard that requires a power combination that you can't find in the level (honestly, why?). Overall, I liked the game a lot.

I feel I'm falling behind my goal of finishing a lot of games this year, but I also have like 4 or 5 long games I'm going through that should be completed before the end of the year. This year should also be historical for me as I intend to finish my two most started and left unfinished games ever: Banjo-Kazooie and Chrono Trigger. I must have started these games and dropped at least 5 times each (and CT I usually got close to the end). Banjo was because it was too hard for me a kid but now I love it, I should finish it sometime this week or the next. Chrono Trigger... Always ends up boring me at some point. I have a file at the Kingdom of Zeal that I started like two years ago though, and I intend to finish it this year once and for all.

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
2) Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Xbox Series S)
3) Psychonauts 2 (Xbox Series S)
4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (NSO)
5) Dungeon Encounters (Switch)
6) No More Heroes 3 (Switch)
7) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
8) Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch)
9) Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
10) Metroid Dread (Switch)
11) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
12) Mass Effect 1 [Legendary Edition] (Xbox Series S)
An odd remaster, but still a real favourite of mine. It looked like I remember it looking, which means it obviously has been improved to take away the aging process. Only certain scenes - like the space battles towards the end or Feros - looked immediately different to me. I was also a bit disappointed to repeatedly encounter movement glitches (even if moonwalking Shepard is hilarious) given this is a remaster. Would also have liked to see combat tightened up. That being said, it's a glorious opening for this universe, with a superb soundtrack and some great voice performances (Jennifer Hale and Keith David my faves). The best sections of the game - especially as events really ramp up a notch on Virmire and Ilos - are up there with the highs of the series overall. Plus, in its depiction of Sovereign, Saren, and Vigil, it hits highs that the rest of the series often fails to find again; the Reapers are never as enigmatic or as quietly horrifying, especially with Harbinger's ridiculous trash talking; Vigil's articulation of the Prothean's sacrifice is very much one of my favourite story beats in the games. Saren's fall from grace is good, though the Illusive Man in 2 remains by far my favourite antagonist of the series (Kai Leng is abysmal). Glad I got around to the remaster.

I'm having a really tough time in life, so I might start Mass Effect 2 tomorrow. Got me through a rough patch back in January 2010, too, and now I'm all weird realising what an ancient old man I am.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (NS) [Finished January 7th, 2022] - 7.5
2. Yoshi's Island (SNES) [Finished January 11th, 2022] - 8.5

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) [Finished January 24th, 2022] - 10:

4. Bloodborne (PS4) [Finished February 7th, 2022] - 6:

5. Resident Evil VII (PC) [Finished February 12th, 2022] - 9:

Resident Evil VII - Not A Hero (PC) [Finished February 12th, 2022] - 8:

6. Crash Bandicoot (PS4) [Finished March 10th, 2022] - 5:

7. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS4) [Finished March 13th, 2022] - 7
8. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter (PC) [Finished March 21st, 2022] - 5
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (NS) [Finished March 31st, 2022] - 8.5
10. Left 4 Dead (Original Campaign IN Left 4 Dead 2) (PC) [Finished May 21st, 2022] - 8.5
11. Left 4 Dead 2 (Original Campaign IN Left 4 Dead 2) (PC) [Finished May 21st, 2022] - 8.5
12. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (PC) [Finished May 23rd, 2022] - 7

Assassin's Creed Origins is a game in which you run and climb around for 40 hours and then the developers remember that they have to wrap it up somehow. I generally don't play (most) games for their stories but I was somewhat invested in Bayek's and Aya's relationship until the very end where everything sort of becomes messy and barely holds together. The setup of gradually uncovering more and more of the order makes a lot of sense, despite its formulaic nature, and helps to pace the story alongside the gameplay. But once it reaches a certain point the game has to rush towards an ending. This is where all of the series' baggage just comes crashing down on it, leaving nary a trace of what makes Bayek's quest for revenge intriguing in the first place. I'm not gonna claim that it was perfect before but I honestly do not give a single shit about neither the Isu nor the Abstergo shit anymore and it's hilarious how they're consistently the weakest aspects of these games.

It was my second attempt after I dropping it halfway on PC and I probably wouldn't have gone back to it if it weren't for Game Pass. All in all I can't say that I hated it, nor that I really enjoyed it. It basically became my wind down game after a stressful day that I'd boot up for rather shallow and mindless mechanic repetition. I know that some people get more out of these games but I sadly don't.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
16. Metroid Dread
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends
20. Cosmic Star Heroine
22. Asura's Wrath
23. Assassin's Creed Origins

Panzer dragoon remake
A quick but fun one, pretty enough. Did easy but it counts. Short but it was an arcade game first, Zwei added a lot but Saga is where the series really got depth

As someone who grew up with the OG TMNT and the first set of live-action movies I have to say that the vibes of Shredder's Revenge are absolutely on point. It looks, feels and sounds like an incredible love letter to the franchise (which is no surprise given the developer). Sadly, it's a great game that I only enjoyed moderately due to its genre. I might be falling out of love with beat 'em ups but fans of the genre should enjoy this one.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
16. Metroid Dread
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends
20. Cosmic Star Heroine
22. Asura's Wrath
24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

1. Spiritfarer
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy
13. Voxelgram
14. Luna's Fishing Garden

15. Nobody Saves the World

(this is largely a copy+paste from the eshop thread)
Finished this in about 20 hours. Maxed out all forms and completed all the side quests and side dungeons. The only thing I did not do was replay the whole game on new game plus. I enjoyed the gameplay loop overall, though it loses some of its luster once there are no more forms to unlock (thankfully, you should be pretty late in the game for that), so I wish there had been a few more. I did like most of the forms that were available though. I also liked exploring different active and passive ability combinations. I do have to say that overall, the music isn't great. The game basically has the same song for the majority of the game, and while it isn't offensive, it's a bit dull. I also thought it was dumb that you can't progress your form quests while doing the main dungeons. It really didn't feel like that restriction was necessary. Overall, I did really enjoy it, and played about 3/4 of my total playtime last weekend when I first purchased it. It has a very addictive quality to it, where you really just want to unlock the next form and play around with it.

1. Hatsune Miku Logic Paint S [Switch]
  2. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages [3DS eshop]
  3. Neo: The World Ends With You [Switch]
  4. VA-11 HALL-A [Switch]
  5. Chicory: A Colorful Tale [Switch]
  6. The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince [Switch]
  7. Death's Door [Switch]
  8. Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection [Vita]
  9. Tunic [Steam]
  10. Chibi-Robo Ziplash! [3DS]
  11. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls [Vita]
  12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [Switch]
  13. Super Metroid [3DS ambassador game]
  14. Spider-Man [PS4]
  15. The Cruel King and the Great Hero [Switch]
  16. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright [3DS]
Holding off on thoughts about Fire Emblem Fates until I make it through the other 2 games.

9. Zelda II. Finally beat the game, a feat I couldn't do as a kid. Thunderbird is no joke. At least Dark Link is very easy to cheese. Underrated game that inspired copycats and dared to be differen.
10. Dragon Quest Builders 2. Definitely a better game than the first one. Was overall an enjoyable experience.

I've also finished Crimson Flower route of Fire Emblem Three Houses. I might do a Verdant Wind playthrough next and then I'd probably be done.

Fourteenth game finished for 2022 is Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones. Still a top-notch SRPG experience with kickass sprite-work and solid writing. Made a point of not using Seth this time haha.

1. Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Steam)
  2. Triangle Strategy (Switch)
  3. Dragon Ball FighterZ (PC)
  4. Chip & Dale NES - Disney Afternoon Collection (Steam)
  5. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Steam)
I forget if I beat any other games on Switch atm, but will update if I did. I have a bunch of games in progress.

Two short ones over the weekend:

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Team Ladybug can't seem to miss. After Touhou Luna Nights this is their second metroidvania with a twist (at least available in the West, afaik), this time with an Ikaruga-like polarity mechanic. Thoroughly enjoyed this as a big fan of the OVA, which I think is almost required watching to even get who these characters are. Standouts were the gorgeous pixel art and the boss fights. Only negatives are maybe the somewhat low difficulty and the lack of exploration. It's a bit shorter than the average Igavania but I don't think that's necessarily a negative but I think it would have been nice to get more exploration.

Kill It With Fire
Downloaded this on Game Pass on a whim and ended up finishing it the same evening. It's fine for what it is but the slow aiming and no option to invert the camera make for an unnecessarily tedious experience at times. Also, for a game about causing "collateral damage" the physics and collision detection can be quite unsatisfying. But it's a fun way to waste 3ish hours on a game that starts silly and turns super bonkers by the end.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
16. Metroid Dread
18. Trek to Yomi
19. Rayman Legends
20. Cosmic Star Heroine
22. Asura's Wrath
24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
25. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
26. Kill It With Fire

I'm bad at updating lists.

1. Gato Roboto (Jan 3)
2. Tomato Adventure (Jan 16)
3. Shadow of the Colossus (Jan 16)
4. Crash Twinsanity (Jan 18)
5. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Jan 22)
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Jan 23)

7. Star Fox Adventures (Feb 20)
8. Star Fox Assault (Feb 21)
9. Mega Man X6 (Mar 9)
10. Chocobo GP (Mar 10)
11. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Mar 28)
12. The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe (Apr 28)
13. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (May 12)
14. Left 4 Dead 2 (May 21)
15. Resident Evil 5 (May 23)
16. Conker's Bad Fur Day (June 11)
17. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (Jun 20)

20. Resident Evil 4 - After being in my backlog since it released finally finished this. Overall a great game, with the only downside that goddamn capcom didn't put subtitles when playing it in english. What where they thinking.

21. TMNT Shredder's Revenge - Was waiting for this and didn't dissapoint. Finished the story mode alone and got together with some friends, ordered pizza and finished arcade mode together, it was a blast, and the soundtrack 11/10.

22. Overlord: Escape from Nazarik - Found it interesting and playing with Clementine was very clever. Its around 8 hrs for 100% and it kinda copies the RoLW metroidvania with the magic and using the same atribute to avoid damage. It's on the easy side, even on hard and sometimes it can be a little buggy (crashed about 5 times during the entire gameplay) but for the price is ok . I was actually surprised is 30 buck in the US, I know it's a popular franchise but without regional pricing, I wouldn't pay it.

1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
8. Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
11. Kirby and the Forgotten land
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga
13. Castlevania AoS
14. Kirby's Dreamland
15. Stanley Parable Deluxe
16. Chrono Cross
17. Tasomachi
18. Seven Pirates H
19. Touken Ranbu Warriors

1. Final Fantasy XIV Online [ PC ] - Stormblood 4.1 - 4.5 / Shadowbringers - 5.5 / Endwalker Main Scenario
(A Realm Reborn - Heavensward - Stormblood) - 9 ~ 10
(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6
2. WarioWare: Get It Together! [ Switch ] - 7.5
3. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 10
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 8
5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8
7. Pokemon Legends Arceus [ Switch ] - 6.5
8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [ Switch ] - 8.5 ~ 9
9. Genital Jousting [ PC ] - 7
10. Tales of Arise [ PC ] - 5
11. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - 8.5
12. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 9.8
13. Annalynn [ PC ]
14. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children + White Lion and Black Witch Episode [ PC ] - 9
15-21. CAPCOM Beat 'Em Up Bundle [ Switch ]
Final Fight - 6
Captain Commando - 8
The King of Dragons - 7
Knights of the Round - 6.5
Warriors of Fate - 5
Armored Warriors - 10
Battle Circuit - 8.5
22 - 24. Valis the Fantasm Soldier Collection [ Switch ]
Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - 10
Valis II - 7
Valis III - 9

25. Alice: Madness Returns [ PC ] - 7

They should make more games based on Alice, is such an easy gamey setting, Madness Returns is a neat game, very Zelda-ish, has issues with its camera, how it handles points of no return, and it isn't the most stable game out there, but the atmosphere, set pieces, and locations make it a pretty memorable time.

*1. Final Fantasy XIV Online: Endwalker 6.1 Patch [ PC ]

Well, Hildibrand quests are still peak comedy, Omega continues to be among the most based content in XIV, his raids are amazing, has one of the best cut scenes in the whole game against Shinryu, and the 2 quests here in Endwalker give some very much needed discussion surrounding stuff from Endwalker, it doesn't fix it, and is really not that much, but hey, is something. Myths of the Realm leaves a pretty good impression, aesthetics give me really strong XII/ARR vibes, and the music across the board is great (like shieeeet son), difficulty still isn't any higher than Stormblood, but still a pretty fun raid.

The main story isn't really interesting right now tho, Garlemald is most likely dropped forever, the Scions are essentially back together which makes their separation pointless, it just wastes more of my time by saying "oh boy, we shouldn't make a big group so people don't suspect anything" ok whatever. If Endwalker follows the structure of Shadowbringers, as it has been doing so far, it means that the 13th shard is probably going to be done and away with by 6.3, which is like "ok", I liked the Crystal Tower raids, so hopefully it delivers something as cool, even if the pacing of this will probably damper some of that. The biggest offense is really, the comedy bits with Y'shtola, I don't have an issue with levity, but when you have such a nothing character besides her sass like her, that after 500 hours or so worth of main story, all I get is her doing a magical girl bit, it feels like throwing salt at a wound, well, at least it wasn't a weight joke, or dick joke, or something related to breasts so, I guess is a lesser evil, and at least even Yoshida had an issue with it, so it probably won't happen again, tho Y'shtola having some form of development is still off the table.

26. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon [ 3DS ] - 9

Man, X and Y suck, yet its generation gets what is arguably the greatest spin-off in the franchise, and basically a top 3/5 Pokemon game for me.

I like PMD games, but their gameplay always felt lacking, Super is like "I gotchu fam", and it delivers an essentially high quality mainline Pokemon experience for the most part, with all the MD charm.

Super is quite challenging, fair for the most part, besides some battle side quests. In the previous games, I wouldn't give much thought to which items I should bring, is quite easy to get through for the most part and there is plenty of items to pick up, Super made me think more carefully about what to bring, even the orbs and wand items because of that higher level of challenge, makes you engage fully with its mechanics. The connection system is a great replacement for how recruiting works, most of the dungeons are smaller to compensate for the higher difficulty, everything just feel much tighter and balanced than the previous games, tho there are still ways to break it in the fun way.

Story is nice, is probably the most Kirby thing Pokemon has done, the general pacing of the bright, happy adventure 3/4 of the way, and the final arc is just full on Kirby with all the staples
betrayal, you go to some form of hell that creates a dissonance in terms of the locales you visit, even Dark Matter shows up! Honestly, while I don't think is necessary to do so, is quite nice that Super uses its status as a spin-off series to do away with the core design that everything you fight in Pokemon has to be something you can catch, and delivers an original final boss instead of fighting a legendary again.

And the music is absolutely incredible, most of it super memorable, Abyssal Bandlands gives me some great Paper Mario vibes. and the final dungeon theme is one of the most beautiful pieces ever composed from the series.

15th game finished for 2022 is Darkwood! It's a very tense experience, between the ominous ambient music, rapidly dwindling status bars and scarce resources. Loved the eldritch errors that plagued the titular woods, in particular the giant pig that can't do anything but let the tentacles sprouting out of it lash at everything. And you can hear the pain in its screeches. Brrr.

Between this, Cuphead, FE, and 100% for Kirby and the Forgotten Land, I think I need a more chill gaming experience. Thankfully I've just gotten my Switch back and I have a backlog of simpler, sillier games to play through.

63. Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Anniversary Edition (Nintendo Switch) [8/10]

Part of the new Sonic Origins collection. A great platformer, but my least favorite of the classic trilogy. Pros: More Sonic, beautiful visuals, cool level theming. Cons: Tails, horrible pacing in the final stretch, lack of options for things like filters, controls, and lives.

64. Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (Arcade) [10\10]

Part of the new Capcom Fighting Collection. As a big fan of Capcom fighting games, I'm aware of Darkstalkers but never played it. I always liked the cast but I'm surprised to learn how good the game is. Rather than simply being spooky Street Fighter, Darkstalkers has a lot of similarities to a game like Guilty Gear but with a much better visual style and interesting characters. Hopefully we someday get the sequel that they wouldn't let Ono give us.

65. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Anniversary Edition (Switch) [7.5/10]

Part of the new Sonic Origins collection. This is normally my favorite of the classic Sonic trilogy, but this is a horrible version of it. The new music is shockingly bad, they need to get the MJ tracks back. Still pretty and fun but man do those tracks kill a few zones. Same options weaknesses as all the other Origins games.

Last edited:
1) A Link to the Past (March 29th)
2) Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania (April 6)
3) Dojoran (April 8th)
4) Katamari Damacy Reroll (April 15th)
5) Pokémon Legends Arceus (April 15th)
6) WarioWare: Get it Together! (April 30th)
I think Zelda, Dojoran, Katamari and Monkey Ball I had all begun playing last year. So all of these are less than 5 hours other than Pokémon lol

Back
Top Bottom