• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2022 Games Completed Thread |ST|

Well there’s another one down. that’s VLR down, boy what a trip… even if I do hate time travel stuff, ugh I understand it all but it messes with my head baaadddd
And that’s the end of my Nonary games adventure since since only the first 2 were in the collection on gamepass. Tho this will probably make me take a breather of a week or two before I fire up 13 sentinels.

I wonder how many games that makes this year now, wasn’t keeping precise count

Total playtime is just under 40 hours for this one

Last edited:
1. Final Fantasy XIV Online [ PC ] - Stormblood 4.1 - 4.5 / Shadowbringers - 5.5 / Endwalker Main Scenario
(A Realm Reborn - Heavensward - Stormblood) - 9 ~ 10
(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6 ~ 7

2. WarioWare: Get It Together! [ Switch ] - 7.5
3. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 10
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 8
5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8
7. Pokemon Legends Arceus [ Switch ] - 7
8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [ Switch] - 8.5 ~ 9

9. Genital Jousting [ PC ] - 7

Penis

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
2) Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Xbox Series S)
3) Psychonauts 2 (Xbox Series S)
4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (NSO)
5) Dungeon Encounters (Switch)
6) No More Heroes 3 (Switch)
7) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
8) Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch)
Hit the credits with 65% completion. I'll be trying the post game levels and perhaps hunting out the remaining Waddle Dees. Excellent game.

#1 Shin Megami Tensei V (83h)
#2 Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (5h+)
#3 Taiko no Tatsujin Drum'n'Fun (25h+)
#4 The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (30h+)
#5 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (75h+)
#6 Pokémon Legends Arceus (102h)
#7 The Great Ace Attorney Adventure (35h+)
#8 Rez Infinite (3h)

I got this when Sony was giving it for free last year. I think it's actually the first shooter I have ever completed? Definitely not my favorite genre, but I had a good time with Rez because of how the music is part of the experience.

13. April 17th - 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
An absolute treat to play this in handheld. A knockout game, a once-in-a-blue-moon experience, the best game of 2020 and one of my favorite games ever made. 13 Sentinels isn't for everyone, but for those who klick with it, awaits an experience both bold, unique and brilliant. We may never see something like this ever again. 10/10

12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga: Finished all the movies now. Great improvement in general over the lego formula. The multiple planets and the exploration work great with the SW universe and the updated humour (since they can talk now) works mostly great. The main story missions are very short in comparison with the original, which make sense as they had to cram 9 movies, but it compensates with all the sidequests and collectibles. Also the localization in LATAM spanish is great.

I do have issues with the story parts they choose as main missions since a lot of them are only boss fight, and the game had a lot of bugs (both of this probably caused by the horrible crunching they reported to finish the game), but my main gripe is that mumble mode is a scam. Yes, the original lego games had mumbles, but only when they needed to. Characters were mostly silent and here it's just like "say the same lines, but try not to open your mouth"

I'm going to work on getting 100% now.

2022 Completed Games
1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
8. Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
11. Kirby and the Forgotten land

1. Final Fantasy XIV Online [ PC ] - Stormblood 4.1 - 4.5 / Shadowbringers - 5.5 / Endwalker Main Scenario
(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6 ~ 7

5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8
8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [ Switch ] - 8.5 ~ 9

10. Valis: The Fantasm Soldier [ Switch ] - 10

Mathematically engineered to appeal to all of my tastes.

11. Tales of Arise [ PC ] - 5

I legit came to hate the combat of this game, never mind the fact that the series has nailed action RPG combat with the linear motion system, or that when it did make shifts in tempo and style, like Graces, it created one of the best combat systems in the series, Zestiria and Berseria may have bumps, but they still were fun games to play, Arise feels like is mostly style, and whatever substance is left is a bunch of issues created by not understanding why things were designed like they were in the first place from previous games in the series.

- Make every enemy feel like a sponge to push the boost break system, decent idea in theory, but it bogs down every fight in the game in execution, staggers are harder to do on the whole, and because every boost breaker is on a cool-down, so it makes everything take that little bit longer, plus the absolute brain dead finisher, with the same animations over and over, which are cool to look at the first time, but doing so many in a row it gets tiring, and because is ramdomized, sometimes you'll get repeats a lot, drilling in the repetitiveness, they should have just copied or expanded upon the pair up system in the Xillia games, instead of whatever this was. Also the fact that the boost break itself works as a advantage to you when the game wants it to, normal enemies? mostly fine, boss fights? actually let's make the boost breaks attacks scripted now.

- Camera is absolutely atrocious for this kind of game, if it was a 1 combatant thing it would be ok, but Tales of isn't DMC or Bayonetta, you have a team, and visibility across the field is fucked because of the camera, and is all accentuated in how bad it is by all the UI elements from previous games that would have worked to alleviate this view, whenever your characters are casting magic is now a very small speck on the side, instead of the flashing portraits that would clearly tell you what is going on, in a game like Symphonia the enemy list on the side would flash when they were casting, if the good view of the battlefield wasn't enough to warn you about it, this stuff should be spread across the front, not small and to the sides. And they knew a lot of this was an issue, otherwise I don't see why else there is an annoying amount of audio cues from your party members, that absolutely don't shut up in this game, and all the dialogue overpowers the music, in order to keep you on track of what you are supposed to boost break.

- A visual mess, the AoE and particle effects get so cluttered and unclear at times that I can't keep track of things, they aren't pretty, just annoying.

- The arte number you are allowed is a small pool, plus now is sensitive to wherever you are airborne or in the ground, reducing expression, and honestly the button layout, and how shortcuts and sets work, feels so cumbersome, that I rather not bother and just work with the 6 artes I have at the time.

- The absolutely abysmal enemy variety, not only there is a bunch of recolors across the different regions with like one new enemy here and there, but bosses in the game become a part of the normal mobs of enemies, reducing the uniqueness of the boss fights and making normal fights take that much longer to complete, and honestly it wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't so boring to begin with.

I like the area sizes tho, that is legit improvement over the overworlds from Xillia to Berseria that were too large and empty, I prefer this more focused design, the dungeons were there for the most part, nothing exciting like the elemental temples from Zestiria, or anything close to the older games, but they were fine in length, until the castle, from there they feel bloated for no good reason, christ that final dungeon.

Charm and smaller details take a hit to pay for this game on the Unreal Engine 4, or at least, I assume that is where the money went. Custom victory animations and quotes are gone, battle banter is in shambles and absolutely repetitive, skits continue to get worse from the charming and perfect face frames, to the full render but still at least animated in 2D skits from Graces, Zestiria and Berseria, and we are just left with the 3D models talking to each other, enemy variety is almost at the tier of an Atelier game now, and other more specific stuff. While I appreciate that cooking is in the game, I dislike that the boost effect only comes from one characters, there isn't any level of improvement, and there aren't characters that are less proficient at it than others, no Wonder Chef instead just some dude without anything unique to him in terms of design to compensate.

And speaking of skits, this has been a problem that pops up since Zestiria, but it was still to an extent tolerable, but is horrendous in Arise, since when did skits became main cutscenes, they are all so wordy, a lot of them deal with stuff that should be a main cutscene, or has been established already and is just beating the same point over and over because I guess they assume my attention span is terrible, they are so needlessly wordy.

Visually, is ok, the game has some pretty moments here and there, but it also looks janky and kind of awful in other moments, is wholly inconsistent, and still less visually pleasant than 2008's Vesperia.

Music is an absolute low point of the series, there is like 3 or 4 tracks that made me feel something, but for the most part is forgettable, and worst of all lacking any sort of energy, most of it feels limp and boring, the kind of stuff that would make me fall asleep.

The story? I'll be honest, it was kind of bad at the start, but it picks up at the third main city, it was like 20 hours in on my playtime, but at least it picked up, while she is not up to the level of the greatest mages, Rinwell ended up being a highlight, alongside Dohalim, the team acts more like a Tales of cast past those 20 hours and keeps improving, and while it can feel jarring, is better than whatever the hell they had going at the start. Despite that jankiness, I'll always appreciate and praise that the Tales of series nails interactions and team dynamics far better than most JRPGs, really I'm only so harsh on Arise because I love this series and know it can do and has done better with this, I'm quite sincere when saying that I take this bunch and some of their jankiness over most JRPG characters, overall Arise's cast ended up being solid, despite the rough and janky start, and I appreciate that the romance aspect was actually not intrusive or annoying like in Hearts or Graces, pleasantly surprised about that. Antagonists sucked, far too little development time, the second world yet again feels rushed, why did only Symphonia and Eternia nailed developing two worlds in one game I'll never know. And for probably the first time in a main series game, I don't think this game quite earned its 1v1 fight, the protagonist and rival fight, which is generally absolute hype and one of the highest points of each entry that features one.

I would say that, this is probably the worst mainline Tales of I have played? Graces has always been the low point there, with its awful story and very questionable characters, but the combat is so good and unique that I wouldn't doubt replaying the game just for that. Arise is a game with a decent story, but the worst gameplay in the series, so is not something I would really consider playing again, a lot of the stuff it does thematically has been done better in much better games as well before.

I can trust nothing will ever be as bad for the series as Dawn of the New World, but this is still quite a disappointment, I hope the combat is heavily revised in the next game, because I don't think I could handle another game like this.

6- Astral Chain.
That was such a great experience I have yet to completely digest. I rented this and will probably rent it again to play with Akira and finish all the File 12 missions.
I loved the game, the story had some Evangelion references/inspirations clearly, and I absolutely loved it lol.
10/10

Completed Octo Expansion over the weekend. Did everything, except finish every stage with every weapon. Was a fun, fast ride. I wish I hadn't been seen the final cutscene on YouTube years ago, but it was still hype. At one point I thought the secret boss might take me as many hours to beat as the whole 80 stations had combined, but fortunately a half hour break allowed me to come back fresh and slay the beast within.

Oops! More nuzlocke! Hoenn was the final region I had yet to complete an itemless run on, so I chose Alpha Sapphire. But because the Gen VI games are notoriously easy, I spiced up my rules.
1. Set mode, level cap of the next gym leader/Drake's ace, no items in battle blah, blah, blah

2. No EVs. If you don't know, they're these pesky things your Pokémon get after defeating something in battle, and they raise your stats. Very unfair for the AI. I used the EV reducing berries (or 'base stat reducing' as the game refers to them) to take them away.

3. Limited stat raising moves - It was supposed to be none, but I had Flame Charge on my Combusken/Blaziken for a while and used it. Naughty, naughty.

4. No Mega Evolution - I like the mechanic, but it's too strong

5. Play blind - a lot of nuzlockers (myself included) will look at Bulbapedia/Serebii to see what's coming up and even do damage calculations to ensure survival/KOs (again, I'm guilty of this) but not here. Just gotta rely on memory and skill... which I lack.

6. Deathless - if I lost a 'mon, it was a wipe (this happened once on the way to the 6th gym in Fortree City)
Here's the team that bested Steven: Starting from the top left - Exploud, Medicham, Forretress, Milotic, Azumarill, and Dusclops
yes, the nicknames are terrible, I started with Dork and this was the result
7qsdywn3akv81.jpg

Last edited:
(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6.5

5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8

12. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - 8.5

Well, that was a palate cleanser, I never expected to say that out of Tales of Destiny, but god damn, what a great remake.

I would call this a miracle, is such a focused and precise remake that fixes almost every issue from the original game, while still retaining the entire ground work, narrative wise it still is Tales of Destiny, but most of the things that could be expanded to the best of its abilities was expanded upon, and stuff that needed to be cut, re arranged or changed was changed, and left everything that was already good intact. Skits were a mandatory addition to flesh out the relationships from 13 main characters, not everything had a character arc, but at least they were all compelling, charming and added to the team dynamic this time around, who were before optional party members become mandatory, thus giving them more agency in the main plot, a character that was only accessible through a hack becomes a full fledged optional party member, the awkward scene of Rutee being jealous of Irene for absolutely no reason is completely gone, Leon and his relationship with Stahn and the rest of the group is far more fleshed out, etc. It managed to turn a pretty mediocre Tales of narrative into a really good one.

Game was originally pretty ugly, somehow a sprite based PS1 game looked a lot worse than the still beautiful Tales of Phantasia on the SNES, well, let's scratch that and have great sprite work across the board with a mix of really good 3D backgrounds, it now looks really good, and sounds really good as well, now we got an amazing set of arrangements of the original soundtrack, all feeling like just a higher quality rendition of the originals, plus adding new tracks when necessary, having the battle theme transform across the story, the entire presentation of the game is of far higher quality, honestly impressed. The music of the towns still don't have much to really stand out, but the most of the battle themes and dungeon themes are pretty good, not a perfect soundtrack by any means, but a mostly good one now elevated in the remake.

And that gameplay, 5 outta 5 holy shiet. The costumization is great, the re-rise system and the different equipment trees lean themselves to a good deal of modification across characters, plus the accessory system being able to raise stats depending on how you craft them on top of their base effect, the Swordians abilities also add more to that layer of customization, and the combat itself, my god, is just genius, incredibly fast paced, at its core you have the basic HP and action points system of some of the other games, but how it lets you link artes is fantastic, as long as you have enough AC, you can attempt to chain just about anything, aerial demon fangs? we got those, have a bunch of aerial enemies, do 3 omega tempest in succession, kill one of them while having an accessory that restores AC after defeating an enemy, then you get another omega tempest thrown in, Omega Tempest into Hell Fire, go ahead, is amazing how you don't need tie artes to being either on the ground or the air and just let you experiment your combos. Honestly the only problems I have with the combat in the game is that some bosses can be quite frustrating to deal with, more so talking about the humanoids, because they can exploit the system on a similar level to you, having a good amount of options to just combo the shit out of you.

Tales of Destiny went from being a pretty decent Tales of game to a really great one, with one of the best gameplay systems that the series ever came up with. I guess the negative now is that I'm scared of playing Tales of Destiny 2 whenever the translation gets finished, I could have played that just fine not caring that much about the original story, but now, the attachment, the feels.

1. Castlevania Bloodlines - [NSW-NSO]
2. The Gunk - [XSX]
3. Dr.Mario64 - [NSW-NSO]
4. Dying Light - [NSW]
5. Dying Light: The Following [NSW]
6. Fantasy Tower Defense [NSW]
7. Lords of Waterdeep [Steam]
8. Elden Ring [XSX]
9. Kingdom Rush Origins [NSW]
10. Torchlight II [NSW]
11. Golden Axe [NSW-NSO]
12. Streets of Rage 2 [NSW-NSO]
13. Contra: Hard Corpse [NSW-NSO]
14. Triangle Strategy [NSW]
15. Yoshi's Story [NSW-NSO]

Currently playing:
Kirby and the Forgotten Land [NSW]
Darksiders: Genesis [NSW]
Skyward Sword HD [NSW]
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim [NSW]

Updated my list quite a bit - Have been playing a lot of games on NSO, and currently joggling maybe a bit too many games for my own liking.. Kirby Co-op with the wife, Darksides with a friend online and Skyward Sword and 13 Sentinels singleplayer

4. Vampyr

Finally completed the game after 25 hour-ish of gameplay. And that was a good thing, because at the end the game got a lot of weird technical issues; slow down, loading times popping up very quickly, attacks not hitting, the music being al distorted…

I did however like the premise of the game. A blood transfusion expert becoming a vampire? Ha. Still, it’s really cool to chose between embracing and healing people. Battle system is wack. Still, solid 6.5/7.0 out of ten for its premise.
5. Dragon Quest XI

Glad I stuck to the very end!

Last update was in March, since then I've finished Kirby and the Forgotten Land and The Last Friend. I don't really have much to add about either game right now, just that I thoroughly enjoyed them and can only recommend both. The Last Friend has a demo just like Kirby so people can check it out if they're interested.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
10. Far: Changing Tides
11. Monument Valley 2+
12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
13. The Last Friend

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
2) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS)
3) Pokémon: Shining Pearl (NSW)
4) Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
6) Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW)

7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)

I finally finished the cafe menu books last night, which are basically this game's single player campaign. It took me about forty hours. There's a ton more content, between the license tests, circuit experiences, missions, and online multiplayer, and I certainly plan on doing most of it, but finishing the cafe rolls credits and for now I'm considering the game beaten. The graphics are spectaular, the driving is superb, the AI are dumb as bricks. Overall I really, really like this game.

13. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow: had this one in my backlog since other games came soon after the castlevania advance collection, Overall the most balanced one, I still prefer CotM just because the luck stat works better here. One thing I didn't remember is that it was very short. I tracked around 5 hours with no grinding except for the succubus soul and that was like 5 minutes only. Even though it's a replay and I know mostly the castle, the replays of the other games took me longer.

14. Kirby's Dreamland: Finished it for the community event with the DX color hack version. Great times and I forgot about the mini shmup boss.

15 Atelier Sophie 2 - Atelier Plachta DLC: counting this since it's separate from the main game. It is a huge improvment of the previous atelier dlc which have been very bad and overpriced for what they offered (looking at Ryza 1). Here at least there is a new area, some new recipes that can be used in the main game and its voiced. It is short (about 2 hours) but I can see KT has gottend the feedback for the previous games regarding this.

Update: Welp it was to good to be true. finishing the dlc lets you synthetize new items in the main story based on the new materials found in the new area. It turns out nobody decided to test this (at least on switch) and trying to use the new items in battle locks the game completely

2022 Completed Games
1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker

Last edited:
So far I have finished:

1. Spiritfarer
2. Cthulhu Saves Christmas
3. Pokemon Legends Arceus
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy
6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
7. The Darkside Detective

More than I thought actually. A lot of longer games so far this year.

8. Kirby's Dreamland (replay)
9. Kirby's Adventure (replay)

I've completed these many times in the past, but replayed for the community event. Always a fun time.

Eleventh game finished for 2022! Passpartout was a delightfully quirky game about passing off my horrendous scribbles as fine art, swindling scores of hipsters out of their cash.

Overlord picross down. Rare one where the mega picross doesn’t count for completion(it’s a flip menu button). I should really dig in this thread and put my list together

14. May 3rd - OPUS: Echo of Starsong
I'm crying like a little kid right now as I'm typing this. Holy hell what a story. What a game. Maximum feels. 10/10

(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6.5

5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8

13. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 9.8

Ended up replaying this on Switch, is still one of the best platformers out there, buuuuuut, they took out the vocals going "Donkeyyy Kooong" at the start up screen from the Wii U, and replaced the Stickerbrush Symphony sax rendition from the credits, so I can't in good conscience say that this is better or as good as the Wii U original, so for those 2 things, I gotta take away 2 decimals.

49. Kirby Squeak Squad (DS) [9/10]
Easily the best of the GBA/DS Era and arguably the best "traditional" Kirby game. Great visuals, amazing ability selection, cool music, and great pacing. Also it's super cute. Definitely one to revisit.

50. Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) [4/10]
One of those games (so common on GBA/DS) that once served a small purpose but is now completely obsolete because you can play Superstar on the go. A comprehensively worse version of Superstar that even manages to ruin things like Meta Knights Revenge. The sprites are decent. This one is a skip unless you're a series completionist.

Hit the credits with 65% completion. I'll be trying the post game levels and perhaps hunting out the remaining Waddle Dees. Excellent game.
9) Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Mixed impressions overall. Glad I tried it, not massively fond of it, but it does worthwhile things. I hope lessons have been learned for Scarlet and Violet.

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
2) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS)
3) Pokémon: Shining Pearl (NSW)
4) Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
6) Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)

8) Dirt 5 (PS5)

Didn’t especially like this one. Everything about this game screams mediocrity. Racing dumb AI on tracks that all feel the same in cars that all feel the same isn’t really fun. At least the player-created tracks are fun though.

Got two easy replays in:

Needed a bit of a refresher for Great Ace Attorney 1 before I move onto the second one, was a lil weird getting used to Herlock but also kinda funny. I almost wish there were more voiced scenes because I actually quite like the English voices. Otherwise, it wasn't much of a surprise after playing the fan translation on my brother's Android phone (lol): It takes a little to get going and I think I'd have liked to see more back and forth investigating and trial like in the old games but it's really good otherwise. Case 4 and 5 in particular are among my favourites now.

The other one was Yoku's Island Express, this time on Switch. It's fun at times but also the kind of game that I'm not really sure I'd call good per se. The pinball meets metroidvania gameplay actually comes together quite nicely but it feels like it's way too random for the kind of game it is. Still, looks nice, sounds nice, has some clever design.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
14. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
15. Yoku's Island Express

(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6.5

5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8
13. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 9.8

14. Annalynn [ PC ] - 10

A perfect little game, Mario + Pac-Man + Donkey Kong. An arcade platformer with great controls, the right amount of level variety, themes, challenge and a nice boss to cap off the adventure. Planning your route to collect all the pellets, learning the snakes behavior, is all satisfying to try to perfect each level. Music is catchy af, and it has plenty of extras like an endless mode, and cheats. Injected with enough charm with transition cutscenes and is all a very tight package. Is not something super original or life changing, but everything it sets out to do, it executed perfectly.

15. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children [ PC ] - 8.5

Really good SRPG, it leans more into creating good enough character builds to apply to your general strategy, leads to a lot of experimentation and one unlocks extra abilities or masteries to give more tools to work with the characters, like being able to attack moving enemies with melee, counter attacks, double counters, get a turn faster or instantly if an attack hits, etc. Hundreds of abilities across the currently 11 units to play as. The accuracy system can be a bit annoying (guess that is the XCOM part). Most levels are good but there are some annoying ones with too many enemy and boss units, lowering the difficulty helps alleviate the number of enemies and up the accuracy of attacks, but it remains a really challenging game, partly cause regardless of the difficulty from easy to normal enemies and bosses retain their masteries (and god damn some are annoying, like getting invincibility for 2 turns, only I should get those abilities) and general strategies, and no amount of lowering difficulty will let you progress to the later stages of the game without a decently build character, which is nice, gives a more appropriate number of enemies and lowers some of the luck factor, but remains a proper challenge, and if that is not enough it has harder modifiers as well. There is also a decent level of flexibility, a good number of missions will allow you to do some choices, and while it doesn't affect the narrative, it does affect the gameplay, you can in instances choose where to start from, after being explained the pros and cons of such choice, if you want to play the level with the teams split or all in, if you want to retreat early or finish routing the enemies, if you want more gameplay segments or less, and even play as opposing factions in those segments, lot of neat things like that.

Story is ok, is a good setting for an SRPG, gang wars, you are essentially a group of mercenaries, it works, but the characters are really nice and their journey is something that I'll stick around for whenever Banished Children gets released, hopefully the english translation gets better by then, cause is rough, passable and understandable, but rough. Finished the main story and currently going through the DLC story, which has a banger soundtrack, main story had some good stand outs, but the DLC is a proper great score in every track so far. Art is great too, love the style of the drawings.

Last edited:
15. May 10th - Piano (Nintendo Labo Variety Kit)
This thing is absolute magic. I can't believe the wizardry that went into making it. The studio is a full blown music program, for heaven's sake! HOW? Putting it together is extremely satisfying and it's such a miraculous little thing. 10/10

So far this year (per console):

NINTENDO
-Kirby and the Forgotten Land

PLAYSTATION
-Horizon: Forbidden West

XBOX
-Hollow Knight
-Jet Force Gemini
-Perfect Dark
-Digger T. Rock
-Gunfright
-Cobra Triangle
-Fable Heroes
-Infernax
-Elden Ring
-Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
-Dante’s Inferno
-Resident Evil: Village
-Trek to Yomi

9) Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
10) Metroid Dread (Switch)
Replayed it for the first time since launch and loved it once again. Can't wait to see where the series goes next.

Short one but Sonic spinball cleared. I may have abused rewind but I really did enjoy it

1. Spiritfarer
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy

10. Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling

I had bought this in I think December, and finally got around to playing through it (I think I had just barely started when I bought it initially). I thought there were a lot of good aspects to it (a lot of charming characters, flexible battle system), but some I didn't like so much as well (for example, I don't think the platforming ever really feels good).

Totally forgot to mention this.

March 12th - Unpacking
Lovely game! Loved the premise, the soundtrack is great, and the overall structure and environmental storytelling is put to great use to create a surprisingly emotional narrative. 8/10

...and two more replays: Metroid Dread and Tropical Freeze.

My appreciation for Dread grows with every playthrough and I love seeing how everything comes together. It does raise however some questions about replayability and the role of exploration as part of the identity of the series. Dread is cleverly designed but it becomes apparent rather quickly that it is... well, designed. It's clear that they've looked more towards Fusion for inspiration which is why the series has lost some of that openness and organic design in favour of other things. This isn't really a new observation (GMTK has a good video on this) and not a criticism per se. But I did find myself wondering a few times if Dread could have been improved even further with a few more tweaks by leaving the player a little more room for exploration.

Tropical Freeze on the other hand is an almost perfect game for me. I know some people prefer the old Rare games but TF is easily my favourite entry in the series and the GOAT 2D platformer alongside SMB3. I love the momentum based gameplay and how weighty everything feels. The only thing I can think of that I'd change are the somewhat repetitive secret areas for the puzzle pieces.

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
5. The Artful Escape
6. Kirby Planet Robobot
7. Death's Door
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Splatoon
11. Monument Valley 2+
13. The Last Friend
14. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
15. Yoku's Island Express
16. Metroid Dread
17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Slowing down. Playing long games/live service games as I wait for the Sonic rush.

51. VS Urban Champion (Switch) [9/10]
Not as full featured or good looking as the 3D Classics entry, but every bit as exciting. The fact that High Score Mode prevents you from pausing adds a whole new layer of tension. One of Nintendo's best.

So i beat Terrys wonderland i enjoyed it but the maps kinda got annoying by the time i finished the first credit scene.

Slowing down. Playing long games/live service games as I wait for the Sonic rush.

51. VS Urban Champion (Switch) [9/10]
Not as full featured or good looking as the 3D Classics entry, but every bit as exciting. The fact that High Score Mode prevents you from pausing adds a whole new layer of tension. One of Nintendo's best.
Sonic Rush? What do you know that we don’t 😱

1. Spiritfarer
4. Shin Megami Tensei V
5. Triangle Strategy

10. Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling

11. Bit Orchard: Animal Valley

Ok overall, but not bad for the $2 I paid for it. I had a glitch where I wasn't able to build any sprinklers/scarecrows after adding a cosmetic expansion on my house, so that was kind of unfortunate.

13. Stanley Parable Deluxe: More Stanley is always good and the additional content did not dissapoint. Loved the bucket

14. Chrono Cross: I put my comments in the RPG ST,m but overall a very good experience and it was nice to see how ambitious it was for the time. One thing that I didn't mention was that the performance was atrocious in some areas of some battles with 5+ enemies I swear it went beyond 10 fps. Hope Squenix can patch it at some point.

15. Tasomachi: Bought this with mostly coins, and it was a very relaxing experience. It's an exploration game where you have to find earth sources (think the moons in Mario) around the multiple areas and you have a ballon to explore the sky of those towns. You don't do any crazy acrobatics and the platforming is simple but the idea is to have a relaxing time. Only bad thing I could say it's the perfomance is a little bad on the balloon and the resolution docked is under 720p, but since the action is simple it doesn't affect the gameplay much

2022 Completed Games
1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker

(Shadowbringers) - 8
(Endwalker) - 6

5. Dolphin Blue - 8
6. Metal Slug 6 - 8
10. Tales of Arise [ PC ] - 5
11. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - 8.5
12. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ( Replay ) [ Switch ] - 9.8
13. Annalynn [ PC ] - 10

14. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children + White Lion and Black Witch Episode [ PC ] - 9

Finished the DLC chapter, was great, in general it feels a lot more comfortable with the strengths of the main game, so it pulls an all around great gameplay chapter, good character bits, and a new soundtrack filled with really good tracks, and Telepathic Communication is definitely one of my favorite chapters of any game due to the blend the buff system of the game with the narrative on the scale of the entire level. A really high note to end it so far, gimme Banished Children.

CAPCOM Beat 'Em Up Bundle [ Switch ]

Final Fight - 6

Competent, shows its age, but is perfectly playable still, comparatively in its simplicity I would say the first Streets of Rage nails a better mood and ambiance than this.

Captain Commando - 8
Is a shame that it has a world map spoiling you every place you'll be going to, because the level progression is fucking wacky as hell, but really fun and charming, out of the simpler beat em ups in this collection, Commando is definitely the best one here.

The King of Dragons - 7
I really like the pacing of this one, the better of the medieval style game from the collection, also the music against the red dragon is awesome, and overall is all very fair, has a set of bosses with really good patterns overall.

Knights of the Round - 6
Remember when Arthur fought Muramasa? No? Ok.

Warriors of Fate - 5
This one was just kind of bland and forgettable, more so when compared to King of Dragons and Knights of the Round, or their DnD games.

Armored Warriors - 10
The crowning jewel of the collection, what an a amazing game, effective and simple story presentation, amazing soundtrack, art and sprite work that just screams 90s CAPCOM, fast paced combat, the great diversity in your melee weapons, guns and the base of your robot, is all just a joyous ride.

Battle Circuit - 8.5
Really good, I like the coin system to buy more moves, that every characters gets a special ability, like getting speed buffs, or deathblow attacks, and is just an overall really colorful, weird game.

Valis the Fantasm Soldier Collection [ Switch ]

Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - 10

Valis II - 7

Definitely feels like an older entry, the original game on the collection benefits from being the later release, but is still a solid action game, just a particularly more clunky one, the difficulty can also be much more brutal if you don't keep your power buffs and special sword attacks, level design is also simpler, story is not as good, etc.

Valis III - 9

Valis III, more like, Dracula's Curse, the multiple characters are really fun to play as, you even get a character with a whip, level design has a bigger emphasis on platforming combined with action, so it is much more closer to a Classicvania game, there is also some really interesting segments that make good use of the sliding ability trajectory, something that was in the first game that helps to get some items, while here is required to think about how to use to cross gaps, which is cool. Besides the final boss, and maybe the one from the water level, this is the best set of bosses from the series so far. The worst part of the game comes from the water level, in a segment that requires the use of ice magic to cross gaps, but it can happen that you don't get enough magic to fully get through it, so you have to be super precise in its use, or pray for a ramdom drop of enemies to get some more, that section could do with some more leeway, difficulty in the levels is also a bit bizarre, is not a progressive difficulty, but it goes more so up and down, dunno if is a negative for me still, but it was weird, other than that, great game.

I guess I beat Kirby. I need to collect some stickers for 100%, but don’t feel super compelled!

52. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS) [10/10]

Not sure if it's the best Fire Emblem, but it's up there. Best cast in the series, great map design, and best story in the series. I have a new appreciation for Marth.

I am as genuinely impressed by how many video games so many community members finish and/or complete as I am reminded of how obscenely bad I am at video games. Hoping to finish game number two this year here soon, hahaha

Yeah, I have a problem... but today, I don't care. I just "completed" (at least I consider it completed) the most difficult nuzlocke I've ever attempted. In a romhack called Storm Silver, I went through the game blind to the AI trainers' Pokémon (at least through my furthest attempt, which did not include the 8th gym to Champion Lance). I limited EV yields as much as possible, set level caps, no bag items in battle, banned set up moves, Encore, and Substitute, and could not do damage calculations. After beating the first E4 member, Will, I got absolutely walloped by Koga losing half of my team. I figured the run was over, but I'd at least play it out...

My team of Hippowdon, Venusaur, and Mamoswine proceeded to get through Bruno, Karen, and Lance without any of them falling. I am in utter disbelief.

FTYObwyXoAEM4rQ

Last edited:
53. Super Mario Land (Game Boy) [8.5/10]

Exactly what it needs to be, arguably the best 2D Mario game. Perfect pacing, great level variety, interesting enemies, cool boss fights, great music.

53. Super Mario Land (Game Boy) [8.5/10]

Exactly what it needs to be, arguably the best 2D Mario game. Perfect pacing, great level variety, interesting enemies, cool boss fights, great music.
I, uh… what?

Don’t get me wrong, SML is great for what it is. But it’s absolutely outclassed by SML2 in literally every single way. Out of every 2D Mario ever made, I’d honestly put the first SML near the bottom. Almost every single other game is better.

Games I have finished this year so far:

Thunder Cross (Switch)
Hollow Knight (Switch)
Elden Ring (PC)
Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
SD Gundam G Generation Advance (GBA)
Blaster Master Zero (Switch)
Blaster Master Zero 2 (Switch)
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (Switch)
Kero Blaster (PC)
Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
Yu-Gi-Oh Legacy of the Duelist (campaign only) (Switch)
Star Wars Squadrons (PC)
Advance Wars 1 (GBA)
Advance Wars 2 (GBA)
Panzer Dragoon (Switch)
Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga (PC, coop)

Last edited:
I, uh… what?

Don’t get me wrong, SML is great for what it is. But it’s absolutely outclassed by SML2 in literally every single way. Out of every 2D Mario ever made, I’d honestly put the first SML near the bottom. Almost every single other game is better.
Playing Land 2 right now. It's good but it's less focused and has worse pacing. More traditional in layout too.

54. Super Mario Land 2: Six Gold Coins (Game Boy) [8/10]

The awkward middle child between Mario Land and Wario Land. Less focused than its predecessor but full of creative ideas and a sign of good things to come from the studio. Mario Odyssey was a Love Letter to the Game Boy Mario platformers, hopefully the trend continues and we see something remenicent of Pumpkin Land or Tree Land in the near future.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom