• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2022 Games Completed Thread |ST|

Ah, first time i'm using a thread like this. Nice.

Super Mario Bros 2 (All Stars version) - NSO. This is my favorite version of the game, it gains charm in the ramek and the soundtrack is mostly on point. Always loved how the characters have different stats that can affect how you face a level, thanks to that there's no repeated playthrough.

Completed it with Mario. In this game being an all rounder is a bad thing: Average jump, average speed, average pick speed, average jump height loss when carrying something. It was a challenge and i enjoyed it from start to finish.

I've completed, so far this year:
  • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (carried over from last year)
  • Gorogoa
  • Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
Thank you for reading.

I’m a little late in joining this thread, after finishing 32 games in 2020. Glad I get to share my thoughts again on games I’ll play (and replay) throughout the year. Let’s start!

January:
Final Fantasy IX
Resident Evil 2 Remake (Leon 2nd Run)
Super Mario Galaxy

February:
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Kirby Star Allies
Dishonored: Definitive Edition
Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall (DLC)

March:
Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (DLC)
Oxenfree
Super Mario 3D World
Bowser’s Fury

April:
Resident Evil Village
Tunic
Streets of Rage 4
Bioshock Infinite

May:
Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea
Sable

June:
Cruis’n Blast

July:
Alien: Isolation

August:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country

November:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

December:
The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures

Last edited:
3. The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls (GameBoy Fan Translation)

This game rocks. It’s got elements of Majora, Earthbound and Link’s Awakening before any of those were things. Cheeky, playful, 4th wall breaking, which for a 1992 game is amazing.

It fascinates me how games like this and Link’s Awakening came out fully formed, play perfectly and stand the test of time without errors, or bugs so early on in Video Games and on the GameBoy, at pretty much first time of asking.

This totally holds up today! If you have the chance, play it!

Just finished Paper Mario for the first time on NSO. I've really liked every Mario RPG I've ever played and this one was no different. The story is charmingly funny, like a Saturday morning cartoon. The tandem of overworld puzzling and exploration, and the Action Command system were also great, even though I do think later games have improved on it quite a bit.

After playing Paper Mario 64 on NSO in December, I completed Paper Mario The Origami King recently and it was no where near a bad experience for me that I was expecting? I genuinely had a great time and 100% the game. I played along with my wife who enjoyed watching me play the first Paper Mario. She loves paper craft and 3D puzzles so we did all the boss battles together and it was a great experience to have together. I don't particularly care for normal battles as much but that was also the same in the first Paper Mario. Whenever I would sidequest in the OG (eg Koopa Koot), I would avoid normal battles or just run. Not saying it's a perfect game but as someone who only just got into Paper Mario with the OG it was better than expectations I had from online reception. Going to play TTYD on my Gamecube probably by Feb.

Completed my first game of the year with Luigi's Mansion 3. Good game. Definitely in the conversation for best-looking game on the system. I'd say my Top 3 best-looking games on the Switch are probably Luigi's Mansion 3, Origami King, and Mario Odyssey in some order. The animations are also fantastic, I love the varied gameplay and level design going from floor to floor, and most of the boss battles are a lot of fun.

If I had issues it's that some of the gameplay ideas on some floors feel a little half-baked or clumsily implemented, and I did think the game maybe went ~2 hours longer than it needed to. I personally could've done without the cat sections. The second one in particular had me groaning.

But yeah it's a good game. I'd give it a 7.5/10. I'll probably be cutting back on how much Dota 2 I play, so I think I'll be able to get through more games than I have the past few months, at least until a new Dota patch comes out. Gonna start Rewrite+ next.

I can finally say I beat Castlevania (NES).

Very hard game but surprisingly rewarding at the end.

Might give 3 or 4 a go soon.

1. Unavowed (Switch)

Unavowed came out last year on Switch but I guess has been available on PC for a couple years. In this point-and-click adventure, you and a small team unravel mysteries in New York City's supernatural underbelly. This game really hit the spot for me. No puzzles were too esoteric and it was fun to mix and match my group of three and see how that would affect available solutions to keep the story moving forward. I appreciated the tone of the game, and the variety of supernatural elements was fresh. Solid artwork and mostly well paced. I did think the ending could have been more fleshed out. (4 out of 5)

2. Lofi Ping Pong (Switch)

This bite-sized game is unassuming but is surprisingly tough and addictive. You are the metronome to some solid lofi tracks as you play ping pong, but the rhythm is a little counterintuitive and will take some time to adjust to. Each new setting has a new challenge like double balls or partial invisibility. I was thankful for accessibility options that included a voice that would tell you left, right or middle to make the impossible levels possible (and still a little challenging!) I found it to be a relaxing game that required 100% focus in order to play well. This is definitely a game that I'll treasure as one my cool little eshop discoveries, but your mileage may vary. (3 out of 5)

The first game I completed in 2022 is Death's Door

Lovely art style, soundtrack, and characters

Tough but fair combat difficulty

Feels like there could be a bit more variety / complexity on enemies / attacks / puzzles, with a few of those standing out, but it's well designed and its environments and bosses are memorable

The Forgotten City is the first game I've cleared this year. A clever game with a satisfying ending that felt like it rewarded my methodical investigation. It's a time loop game where you're asked to uncover who, in a mysterious Roman city, is about to commit a sin, and thus unleash a curse that promises to kill every inhabitant of the city should any one person sin. It's a game that feels very complex, but not overwhelming. It paces its story well, so I felt like there were new leads and story beats unravelling at a steady rhythm. I was just generally impressed with how digestible I found everything, despite there being so many characters and stories and motives, which feels like a testament to the deft hand at play.

I did have a few nitpicks. It was sometimes frustrating trying to locate certain characters when I needed them to progress—the NPCs all move throughout the day, and I couldn't tell how long this day was or where they were going. Not sure how they could solve for this, as finding people in certain locations is naturally apart of the mystery solving process. The other major issue was that certain dialogue prompts would permanently disappear after I 'failed' the discussion... despite the time loop. You can't get stuck from this, though, and ultimately hitting this roadblock forced me to travel down a path I was resisting, and that might've been deliberate.

Have you played The Outer Wilds? I recently started that but was quickly overwhelmed by the openness and my lack of ability to focus on what I think the game wants me to focus on. I quickly shelved it to return when I'm in a better state of mind to explore all the lore and journal entries, etc. Life's been a bit hectic lately and I need something more mindless.

I'm interested in the Forgotten City but I'm worried it will be similar.

Quoted by: ze_
Have you played The Outer Wilds? I recently started that but was quickly overwhelmed by the openness and my lack of ability to focus on what I think the game wants me to focus on. I quickly shelved it to return when I'm in a better state of mind to explore all the lore and journal entries, etc. Life's been a bit hectic lately and I need something more mindless.

I'm interested in the Forgotten City but I'm worried it will be similar.
I have played The Outer Wilds... and I've not beaten it either! I was digging it but I was playing it under similar conditions and ended up stopping to focus on other things. I didn't pick the best time to start playing that one. The Forgotten City operates on a smaller scale; there's less to investigate and it all takes place within a smaller area. It also gives you a few immediate investigation prompts right off the bat, so it's easier to get into. I think it actually strikes a clear contrast to The Outer Wilds in this regard, and I recently watched a Game Maker's Toolkit video on the game which made the same point.

Shin Megami Tensei V
Final Fantasy Adventure
Now I'm working on Secret of Mana!

I have played The Outer Wilds... and I've not beaten it either! I was digging it but I was playing it under similar conditions and ended up stopping to focus on other things. I didn't pick the best time to start playing that one. The Forgotten City operates on a smaller scale; there's less to investigate and it all takes place within a smaller area. It also gives you a few immediate investigation prompts right off the bat, so it's easier to get into. I think it actually strikes a clear contrast to The Outer Wilds in this regard, and I recently watched a Game Maker's Toolkit video on the game which made the same point.
Thanks for the great description. I'll keep that in mind if I feel like playing it in the future. Right now I'm enjoying really straightforward, linear games as a way to relax and unwind. Guardians of the Galaxy has been perfect for that.

Beat my first game for the year.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (NS) [Finished January 7th, 2022] - 7.5
2. Yoshi's Island (SNES) [Finished January 11th, 2022] - 8.5

Sort of weird to think this is technically the first 2D "Mario" game I've beaten. I'll be honest with this one, this could probably score a tier higher if I didn't suck at it so much. I have the terrible curse of preferring difficult, challenging games but also sucking ass at them and getting easily frustrated. And with Yoshi's Island in particular, doing poorly is incredibly frustrating. Not just because of baby mario's constant crying but because of the loud beeping that plays and the general scramble to get him. There's also just some real, real dickish stuff here.

Overall though it's great. They found a way to make collect-a-thons work in 2D which, in retrospect is pretty cool given how much that genre is mostly associated with 3D. The movement is tight and I particularly like how little Yoshi feels like Mario despite starting in the Mario series. The visuals and soundtrack are fantastic, though I'm not sure I'd say either the art style or OST are all-time favorites. The OST comes pretty close, but there was a few themes where the honeymoon phase didn't last. The level design is usually pretty good with some standouts, though some levels were really annoying and I couldn't tell if it was a me problem or a design flaw.

My OCD will make me replay this game to re-evaluate it proper, but for now it's a really good game that could be an all-time great.

I've been a little slower than I would have liked with games. Kind of going back and forth between starting new shit or continuing my new playthrough of Yakuza 0. I think I'll try to beat Ocarina of Time 3D next, since I'm in a Zelda mood, then get to Yakuza 0 and maybe TGAA2.

My 2022 completed games list is really shaping up!

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Woop.

Just finished the Outer Wilds DLC. There’s no game like this. Truly amazing.

First game down

1) Huntdown... Hilarious writing, great voice acting, fun levels with hidden parts for collectables and lots of bosses and mini-bosses. I only did a one character run, glad I finally played it and wanted to since it's release. One run is like 4 hours.

The goal for this year is to "complete" 22 games. I'm padding out my numbers though by doing short games like 5 hours or below ;)

Just finished the Outer Wilds DLC. There’s no game like this. Truly amazing.
I'n so looking forward to that coming to the switch.

3. Banjo-Kazooie
Continuing 2022 with another replay, went for all jiggies and all notes for the first time ever. I was a child when I last played this so my memory was quite spotty when it comes to specifics but it's more or less how I remember it: A great game with some downright infuriating segments. My Top 3 Hall of Shame:
3. Scaling the tree in Click Clock Wood (that one specific spot)
2. Engine room in Rusty Bucket Bay
1. Grunty's Furnace Fun

Still, enjoyed it a lot, might even replay shudder Banjo-Kazooie later this year. But I want to get some new stuff in there first. Playing the Artful Escape right now. Not much "game" in there but it's a visual marvel.

edit: Got a bit bored of The Artful Escape so I snuck in the Myst remake lol

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst

Last edited:
I… have completed a run of Civilization VI on ps5. Does that count?
Only if you'll count the first 2 bosses of Loop Hero.

That game was dull, you don't improve enough each loop and it's all way too random to be fun.

Now that Christmas and New year are out the way my job will slow down and I'll have more time to play the Switch again.

Titanfall 2 completed. Pretty fun. Short game. Gameplay it was a good length. Narratively it needed to be longer to get to know the universe and characters because I did not give a shit about any of it. The credits have a long segment hilighting who played what character and entire I was like "Who? Were you even in the game?". Some really fun segments. While I wouldn't say it was the best single FPS since Half-Life 2 as some heave said, I think it a good Call of Duty-type campaign.

My second completed game of the year is: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I've had the game for years, but I'm not sure I ever completed the bonus 5th chapter. I was a bit shocked by how much I remembered of the characters, the story, and the trial solutions. At times, it felt like I was cheating during the main four chapters, but I still feel pretty good managing to do all of it without looking anything up.

Right now, I'm doing a Flying-type only nuzlocke of Pokémon X without using items in battle.

A second game completed.

2) Star Wars Battlefront 2. It was fine? Carried by the license, potential for a better single player game if the emphasis weren't on multiplayer. Excellent flight combat.

Dungeon Encounters and Psychonauts 2 await my attention.

2.) Paper Mario (N64) - I played this way back when it came out in North America, and I had pretty fond memories. TTYD sucked up all of the oxygen in this franchise to the point that I wondered if it would ever be worthwhile to return to the original. It was! This is a nice, tightly-paced adventure that executes everything it sets out to do remarkably well. In particular, I found the art direction to hold up impeccably well and the writing to be about as good as you could expect from a family game like this. The slow build to the final boss, which starts with Bowser absolutely kicking your ass and ends with a pretty surprisingly nasty climactic battle atop Peach's Castle, was satisfying even though I knew everything that was coming down the pike.

I'm going to go back to TTYD at some point this year, but it is hard for me to imagine that it will top this one. 4 star experience for me.

2) Danganronpa 2

Was more fun than the original, but overall I feel that the series is not for me. While there is some fun to have during the trials, the gimmicks in those things are annoying.

1) Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Reignited Trilogy)

Just beat the final boss on stream, aiming for full completion. It's been more fun than I remember, due in large part I'm sure to the changes in the remake. While the remake is actually pretty buggy and has a ton of Unreal Engine stank (characters stuck floating on hastily made box colliders, character movement going all over the place when the camera moves in a scripted way, etc), it is overall less frustrating than the original. Overall, I'm glad I played it, and I'm glad I finished so much already. I only have to do a couple more things before I unlock the bonus world.

This is a fun thread, by the way. I rarely finish games, so it feels good to have beaten one already. Maybe I'll finish more this year.

Two for me so far

1. Kingdom Hearts 1.5

Enjoyed the game but it really made me realise how lucky we are as Nintendo fans when it comes to control schemes. Frankly, even with the remastered version of KH, the controls are shockingly bad and I felt like I was battling with the camera for most of the game. When you compare it with its contemporary Nintendo games, it really is apparent how much focus Nintendo has on this kind of thing.

2. Freedom Planet

As a massive Mega Drive Sonic fan it took me a little while to get into this one, but ultimately enjoyed it. I feel like with the Sonic Mania teams input, the upcoming sequel could be something really special

3. The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls (GameBoy Fan Translation)

This game rocks. It’s got elements of Majora, Earthbound and Link’s Awakening before any of those were things. Cheeky, playful, 4th wall breaking, which for a 1992 game is amazing.

It fascinates me how games like this and Link’s Awakening came out fully formed, play perfectly and stand the test of time without errors, or bugs so early on in Video Games and on the GameBoy, at pretty much first time of asking.

This totally holds up today! If you have the chance, play it!
4. Sonic Advance

Was feeling for a new Sonic Game after freedom planet and this fit the bill! Felt great at first but from the midpoint on started getting a bit cheap with the pits and the spike placement. Didn’t have as much personality as the Mega Drive Games and as a result the multiple characters feel a bit simpler. Good game though 🙂

After a WILD 2021 (95 games + more beaten), the beginning of this year is calm on my side. Tbh i'm a bit annoyed these days and don't want to do anything except going outside and play Pikmin Bloom. But here are the 3 games i've beaten so far since January 1st:

1. Rabbids Go Home (Wii) - 6/10 : the first game of the year and tbh I don't even know why I wanted to do it but it was cool. Too repetitive but the idea and the game itself are funny. Wouldn't play it again: one time was enough. But it's a cool little game.
  2. Monument Valley 2 (Android) - 7/10 ❤️ : this one was really cool! I did the first Monument Valley at the very end of last year and I really liked it. Was afraid MV2 would be the exact same kind of game without any surprise. And tbh it was the case in the first half, but the second one was so cool with new great ideas that i wanted to be used a bit more. But the whole game was really cool. Also did the little free expansion.
  3. Zombi(U) (PC) - 6/10 : Well... This one is... I don't know what to say about it. I used to LOVE ZombiU, back in the days I played it right After getting the WiiU. It was almost 10 years ago and I changed since, being more critical over the years. Zombi(U) isn't a bad game. There are cool ideas and the ambiance is really strong. But there are also so many bad things. It's not a very good FPS, story is pointless and became so bad especially in the last quarter of the game. I still like the game for some reasons but, hey, that was not as good as i remembered. Won't play it anymore I guess but again : it's not a BAD game and to be honest I had fun most of my playtime. It's just super frustrating that they didn't do better with that one. Could have been a great game I think.
Next one I plan to do is No One Lives Under The Lighthouse. Don't know when tho

11. Hot Wheels: Stunt Track Driver (Windows XP) [10/10]
12. Hot Wheels: Stunt Track Driver 2 -- Get'n Dirty (Windows XP) [9/10]
13. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) [6.5/10]

Made a ranking for the games I beat this year. A significant number of games are missing at this point and will remain missing until Analogue finally releases a screenshot tool for the pocket (God knows how long that will take 😂🙄)
t1SVgiU.png

S: GOAT status
A: Looking forward to play again
B: Good game, will play again
C: Solid game, don't need to play again
D: Didn't leave a good impression

Games are ranked within tiers

Last edited:
1. Gato Roboto (Jan 3)
Fun and simple little Metroidvania, doesn't try to be anything big or grand, which is fine. I love the unlockable color palettes you get along the way.

2. Tomato Adventure (Jan 16)
Simple RPG with a unique gameplay systems that mainly rewards you for your timing and button mashing skills. Made by AlphaDream, and their second game ever before making Mario & Luigi, and it definitely has their fingerprints all over it.

3. Shadow of the Colossus (Jan 16)
meh

meh
Wow, I can't believe you gave such an underwhelming review to this game. To this hidden gem. This reads like a joke review. Do you think Shadow of the Colossus is a joke? People worked hard on this game, with real blood, sweat, and tears. There had to be plans, budget constraints, meetings to get this work out.

And all you can muster is a "meh".

Shame on you.

Wow, I can't believe you gave such an underwhelming review to this game. To this hidden gem. This reads like a joke review. Do you think Shadow of the Colossus is a joke? People worked hard on this game, with real blood, sweat, and tears. There had to be plans, budget constraints, meetings to get this work out.

Shame on you.

Not my cup of tea.

Not my cup of tea.
Wow, I can't believe you gave such an underwhelming review to this tea. To this hidden leaf. This reads like a joke review. Do you think tea is a joke? An entire country's pass time is a joke? People worked hard on this crop, with real soil, sustenance, and water. There had to be plans, seed constraints, meetings to get this to be ground out.

Shame on you.

5. Boxboy and Boxgirl

In my eyes this game is pretty much perfect, I can’t think of one complaint. If I was pushed on coming up with something i’d probably have liked a super tough extra campaign (although I guess getting the “par” boxes would probably be that: I stopped short of doing this with co-op, as I would just get angry with my son)

It didn’t outstay its welcome in anyway. Finished at the perfect spot for me.

Makes me wonder of the potential of a Metroid Like adventure game with BoxBoy…

Sorry for the double post but I’m clearing a few things I’ve started during my holidays:

6: Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind

For me the better of the two Famicom Detective Club Games. I feel like the mechanics were either better or I was just used to them after finding the original one super clunky.

Enjoyed the story also and happy it all tied together in the end.

I’d be interested in playing the third one at some point

Two more to the list:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Castlevania Advance Colletion. Card widget off) - I feel like this playthrough has withered my love for the CotM a little, particularly when it comes to the final boss. Dracula becomes incresingly more bullshit as you defeat his forms, finishing with his eyeball form where he comes from odd angles and his guardian bats barely leave room for attacking. It feels like it's designed to be defeated with the DSS cards (Eyeball form has so much HP it took me around 7 thunderbird summons to beat it)

Forza Horizon 5 campaign (PC Game pass) - Regarding Forza, it's too samey compared with FH4, to the point where i started it right after beating 4 and it made me feel like i just played a very long game. Don't misunderstand me, i loved it, but it didn't justify a new entry imo, Mexico didn't feel that different from the UK. Aside of that, it plays like a dream and it's amazingly optimized on PC, kudos to Turn 10 for that.

Last edited:
3. Banjo-Kazooie
Continuing 2022 with another replay, went for all jiggies and all notes for the first time ever. I was a child when I last played this so my memory was quite spotty when it comes to specifics but it's more or less how I remember it: A great game with some downright infuriating segments. My Top 3 Hall of Shame:
3. Scaling the tree in Click Clock Wood (that one specific spot)
2. Engine room in Rusty Bucket Bay
1. Grunty's Furnace Fun

Still, enjoyed it a lot, might even replay shudder Banjo-Kazooie later this year. But I want to get some new stuff in there first. Playing the Artful Escape right now. Not much "game" in there but it's a visual marvel.

edit: Got a bit bored of The Artful Escape so I snuck in the Myst remake lol

2022 completed games:
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Myst
Do you mean Banjo-Tooie?

Back
Top Bottom