• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2022 Games Completed Thread |ST|

25th game finished for the year is Underrail. Very reminiscent of Fallout 1/2; it nails the atmosphere of a society gone to ruin. The combat has a lot of depth too. Shame the difficulty can be somewhat erratic, and character builds can be hard to optimize without the help of supplementary material. Still, enjoyed it, worth a playthrough for any classic CRPG fans.

51. Freedom Planet 2 [ PC ] - 10

I would say this is an easy lock for my game of the year, but there is Rabbids and Bayonetta in the horizon as the only games I would consider topping this, so I'll see. An improvement on every aspect of the already excellent Freedom Planet, more polished and expanded combat options, movement polish, more music bangers, a big increase in levels and their scope, all of them well designed, beautiful sprite work, great boss fights, and its brand of wacky story. Freedom Planet is the kind of game that takes me back to something like Mischief Makers, or any Treasure game, that spark, wacky charm and originality no matter its genre or structure, and that is a high and unique bar of praise to reach for me. And it shows me once again that there can be a platformer where you can go fast with great level design without unfair moments, polished combat that doesn't break the flow of the game, a health system that doesn't make me feel terrible from getting hit, with a likable bunch of characters.

This game was announced back in 2015, and it was worth every single day of waiting for me, pure excellence and fun, videogame af, and can't wait to see more of Galaxy Trail, both as developer and publisher, Grapple Force Rena and Petal Crash are great games as well after all.

It's been some busy months in my work so I've focused on smaller games right now

27. TMNT Arcade Turtles in time: Great arcade game, finished with a group of friends remembering the good ol' arcade times, though I didn't remember bosses had that much HP, i think shredder took us like 5 minutes

28. TMNT 3 Radical Rescue: The only TMNT I had for GB. The metroidvania formula was interesting at the time, but playing it right now I see that the map was pretty much based on Mikes ability as the other ones you only used once or twice. An the difficulty, especially at the end was brutal and I used rewind with cyber shredder. Also the map is useless lol

29. Portal: Everything I knew of the game was from the memes, but I finally managed to finished it. It was an interesting game and the use of the portal certainly is a fun mechanic except I suck at fps so I had issues at some points where you need to act quickly and shoot another portal in the air. Also I thought it was going to be a long game but no, it took me around 4 hours to finish it (Boxboy took me longer) but I'm not complaining, it's good to have these short games

1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
8. Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
11. Kirby and the Forgotten land
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga
13. Castlevania AoS
14. Kirby's Dreamland
15. Stanley Parable Deluxe
16. Chrono Cross
17. Tasomachi
18. Seven Pirates H
19. Touken Ranbu Warriors
20. Resident Evil 4
21. TMT SR
22. Overlord
23. FEWTH
24. Hunter X
25. Gunvolt 3
26. Xenoblade 3

22. Splatoon 3 (story mode)

Forgot to even list finishing this. I enjoyed it, though I don't think the levels quite hit the creativity of the Octo Expansion levels. The ending was pretty cool.

1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land | NSW | 8
2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus | NSW | 8.5
3. Peggle | XSS | 7.5
4. Peggle 2 | XSS | 5
5. Katamari Damacy Reroll | XSS | 7
6. It Takes Two | XSS | 9

7. Splatoon 3 | NSW | RP

Finished all the single player content but haven’t actually been able to do any multiplayer content because of work and travelling with limited internet, so I’m going to have the rating here pending. First impressions: (A) Bloody hell, After Alterna killed my fingers. (B) Overall not as good as Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion but not bad either.

1. TMNT Shredder's Revenge
2. Huntdown
3. Knights of the Round // Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
4. Armored Warriors // Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
5. Elden Ring
6. TMNT Turtles in Time (US SNES) from the Cowabunga Collection
7. TMNT Hyperstone Heist (US GENESIS) from the Cowabunga Collection

8. Katamari Damacy REROLL
I finally went back and decided to roll up all of the royal presents and majority of the cousins in my re-release save file, even if the controls are a little slower compared to the PS2 version. Still the best! 11/10.

With Zelda 2 and Pikmin 4 now having release dates so soon, all other games are really just leading up to those. 😂

Cult of the Lamb. I loved it...
Cannot wait to play this one! I'm letting it cook in the coding oven at the moment I think, they seem to be hard at work patching loose ends.

Yes, I did access the Artorias DLC area. It was very lategame when I finally beat Artorias. I managed to beat Manuas. Ash Lake I did see.
Hell yes friend, then you made sure to see the best the game has to offer!

9CA222C44D5A42219447DD5810A2CE034E376D71

Last edited:
September 23rd - As Dusk Falls (7/10)
I'm such a huge fan of these kinds of games. Give me all of your desert-soaked, reverb crunch guitar-drenched and sunset-gilded family drama games all night, and I'm there for it.

Described by Brandon Jones as "The GTA V loading screens: the game", this game does indeed sport a unique, and gorgeous, style with blurry stills fading into one another replacing standard-fare motion capture animation. It works amazingly well, and gives the character's faces such emotional depth that it's so easy to relate to them and their struggles. The soundtrack, likewise, is amazing and evocative, highlighting the tense moments with a distinct, succinct flair.

The story follows Vince and Jay, and is primarily focused on a scene at a motel where they and their families all take part in a life-changing event. Sprinkled through the current-day event are extensive flashbacks offering ample backstory. Just like in any great choice-and-consequence game, decisions makes you sweat, and every outcome has you curse yourself and frantically wondering if everything had been better had jut just made a different call an hour ago. At the end of every chapter, the game summarises the story in a flowchart, and displays your virtues.

My virtue summary after the whole game was:
Value - Love
Trait - Kind
Play Style - Fast Reflexes

The story is a bit inconsistent at times, doesn't really stick the ending in my opinion and, though it might be a case of budget, suffers a bit from being too short for the characters to really flesh themselves out. Otherwise a great game, and for GamePass-subscribers with a keen interest in good game stories, this is a strong recommendation.

Games played 2022:

First time:
1. January 3rd - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild randomizer (10/10)
2. January 16th - Tales of Xillia, First time finishing it (8/10)
3. February 3rd - Final Fantasy VIII, First time finishing it (8/10)
4. March 8th - Tales of Arise (8/10)
5. March 12th - Unpacking (8/10)
6. March 31st - Kirby and the Forgotten Land (9/10)
7. May 3rd - OPUS: Echo of Starsong (10/10)
8. May 10th - Piano (Nintendo Labo Variety Kit) (10/10)
9. June 26th - AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative (10/10)
10. July 18th - Portal (9/10)
11. August 4th - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (10/10)
12. September 23rd - As Dusk Falls (7/10)

Replays:
1. January 6th - NieR: Automata, Ending E (10/10)
2. January 8th - NieR: Replicant, Ending A (8.5/10)
3. January 22nd - Xenoblade Chronicles X (9.5/10)
4. January 29th - Final Fantasy IX (10/10)
5. February 6th - Final Fantasy VII (9/10)
6. March 22nd - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (10/10)
7. March 26th - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (10/10)
8. April 17th - 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Switch port) (10/10)
9. May 17th - Super Mario World (NSO) (10/10)
10. May 20th - The Legend of Zelda (NSO) (10/10)
11. September 3rd - Mirror's Edge (8/10)

Recently got back into "classic" gaming after being stuck in gacha hell for a long time + no interest in playing other games.

Here's what I have played so far

(N)
New (Complete): Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch) [10/10]
(N)
New (Complete): Splatoon 3 (Switch) [9/10]
(N)
New (Beat): Death's Door (Steam) [8/10]
(N)
New (Beat): FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE (Steam) [9/10]
(N)
New (Complete): Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (Steam) [10/10]
(B)
Beat: Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition (Steam) [8/10]

Edit:
September 25th, 2022
(B)

I'll repost what I said in another thread:

I've been playing Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition and I'm having such a great time. This game started as an rpg maker 2003 project many many years ago and I believe they changed to Unity for the enhanced edition.

It's a classic SNES-style RPG with no overly complex systems but still a lot of fun to play.

Some of the nice features:
-> No equipment to buy, instead you craft your initial equipment with materials from exploring and main story items.
-> When you level up you gain 10 points which you can allocate however you want. You can also reset the points at a cost if want to change your builds.
-> You can change difficulty at anytime, and there's even a "story" difficulty which allows you to kill all enemies in a single turn, very useful when you are grinding.
-> The music and mapping are absolutely stunning

This games does a lot of things right for being inspired by classic RPGs, it eliminates random battles, the world is your to explore as much as you want granted you are powerful enough, gives you option to blaze through combat with the "story" mode and doesn't pad for the sake of padding. It's a "short", sweet 20h jrpg experience.

The dialogue is also very good, with realistic interactions between the party members.

Sadly the second half isn't very good in terms of gameplay as you used the same strategy over and over again, I ended up just enabling story mode to oneshot mobs and only fight bosses. I wish you could learn more spells or more variety of debuffs and buffs but for a game that started out as a rpg maker 2003, it's very solid.

Did I mention the world and atmopshere is stunning?

20220922192812_1.jpg

20220924112002_1.jpg
20220924135753_1.jpg

There's a lot of love poured into this game and it shows, I recommend it to everyone. (It's also on Switch, yes)

Last edited:
32. Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)
33. Crystal Warrior Ke$ha (PC)
34. Crystalis (NES Online, Switch)

You can play Crystal Warrior Ke$ha in your browser. It takes about five minutes. This was my recent introduction to the work of Porpentine, an innovative creator of interactive fiction/Twine games. Her writing style strips reading down to a visceral experience. Many of her works are available for free on her website, but you can also purchase a compilation called Eczema Angel Orifice for a few bucks. It has 31 works. Lots to explore…

As for the other two, we have two very good, fast-paced RPG’s with a lot to offer. One is from the 90’s and the other wishes it was! Crystalis is an action RPG by SNK that has a rhythmic, arcade feel to the hacking and slashing. I love when a game can reel you in and then say, okay, now that you’ve been here for a while, we can start to get really weird. In this game, you will shoot fireballs at sea mutants while riding a dolphin.

I felt that Cosmic Star Heroine could’ve used a touch of that weirdness, especially near the end, because other than that, it is a pretty much perfect game. The combat system is very well designed and allows for a lot of different choices. The party is deep, and you run through members at a comical pace, but it ultimately works in the game’s favor. I can’t wait to bump the difficulty up one notch and give the whole thing another go.

35. Sugoi Hebereke (Super Famicom Online, Switch)
36. Umihara Kawase (Super Famicom Online, Switch)
37. De Tres al Cuarto (PC)

And here we have two Japan-exclusive games on the Super Famicom Online app (which you have access to as an NSO subscriber, with a little googling and an extra email address.) Sugoi Hebereke is a fun little top-down, four player fighting game featuring Sanrio characters from another dimension. It’s fun and light, and the character designs are a joy. My favorite was the ghost with the sunglasses and hat who can pop their eyes out. You can jump and bop your way to victory in most circumstances. The other game, Umihara Kawase, was apparently a bit of a craze when it came out, as players would speedrun this tricky precision platformer. You play as a schoolgirl with a fish hook as you try to swoop and climb your way to the next door. This mechanic kind of works somewhere between the rope in the Worms games and Ristar’s grabbing ability. The world is full of fish. It feels like a dream. Thank goodness for the rewind feature!

In De Tres al Cuarto, you are a mediocre stand-up comedian. You build your deck of improv skills to get through your set with your partner, sometimes bombing and occasionally stringing together some coherent thoughts into a solid punchline. In between these short sets, you and your partner chat about life. Off to the side, more “hidden” written information reveals itself to provide more background details. The game is about an hour and a half and has a sweet and heartfelt story. There was no need for that pixelated sex scene though.

Full 2022 Games Completed List

1. Unavowed (4/5)
2. Lo-fi Ping Pong (3/5)
3. Final Fantasy X (4/5)
4. Magical Drop II (3/5)
5. Stilstand (2.5/5)
6. Phantasy Star IV (5/5)
7. The Last Survey (1.5/5)
8. Balloon Fight (3/5)
9. Gain Ground (3.5/5)
10. Night in the Woods (2/5)
11. Cross the Moon (4/5)
12. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4/5)
13. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (4.5/5)
14. Conduct Together (5/5)
15. About an Elf (4/5)
16. Doom 2016 (5/5)
17. Alien Storm (3/5)
18. Bio-Hazard Battle (3/5)
19. Severed (4/5)
20. Glass Masquerade Origins (2/5)
21. Vampire Night Shift (2/5)
22. Earthbound (5/5)
23. Another Eden: A Cat Beyond Time and Space (3.5/5)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (1.5/5)
25. Disco Elysium : The Final Cut (5/5)
26. Landlord of the Woods (3.5/5)
27. Speed Dating for Ghosts (3/5)
28. Promesa (2/5)
29. Fuzz Dungeon (3.5/5)
30. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (3.5/5)
31. Chrono Trigger (5/5)
32. Cosmic Star Heroine (4.5/5)
33. Crystal Warrior Ke$ha (3/5)
34. Crystalis (4.5/5)
35. Sugoi Hebereke (2.5/5)
36. Umihara Kawase (3.5/5)
37. De Tres al Cuarto (2.5/5)

2022 is the first year I actually started logging my completed games, as of now they are as follows:

January:
Gunstar Super Heroes
Resident Evil 4 VR
Pokemon Legends Arceus

February:
Horizon: Zero Dawn

March:
Horizon: Forbidden West
1080 Snowboarding
1080 Avalanche
Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby and the Forgotten Land

April:
Kirby Star Allies
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

May:
Ape Escape 3

June:
Sonic Mania
Mofumofusensen
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

July:
Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series
Pac Man World 3
Tempo
Trip World
Gimmick!

August:
N/A

September:
Splatoon 3

At the end of the year, I plan on making a youtube video where I kinda do a really short review/impressions of everything I completed!

Shin Megami Tensei V
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Triangle Strategy
Live A Live

It was an extremely busy work season and I basically didn't game between March and August. Will update later with thoughts.

My list so far. Will do more detailed write-ups closer to the end of the year. Currently playing OlliOlli World.
Web-capture-27-9-2022-174015-ggapp-io.jpg

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
2) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS)
3) Pokémon: Shining Pearl (NSW)
4) Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
6) Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
9) Kirby Super Star (NSW)
10) Excitebike 64 (Wii U)
11) Nintendo Switch Sports (NSW)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)
17) Sonic the Hedgehog (iOS)
18) Portal 2 (NSW)

19) Marble It Up! Mayhem (iOS)

This is a port of the original Marble It Up! with some new levels and some new mechanics. They’ve also added a multiplayer mode. The game is super solid and plays great with a controller. It’s available on Apple Arcade and I really recommend it if you like games like Monkey Ball or the original Marble Blast Ultra.

20) Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

An all-around fantastic platformer with incredibly fun combat, cool characters (RIVET IS AWESOME), an amazing “rift” mechanic that really shows off the PS5’s SSD capabilities, and absolutely unbelievable graphics. I had no idea video games could look this good. I had such a good time with this that I even got the platinum trophy for it, and it’s my first ever plat!

21) Shovel Knight Dig (iOS)

This game has a great concept, really nice music, great visuals, and really fun moment-to-moment gameplay, but it’s held back by the fact that it’s a roguelite. It’s very repetitive and pretty short on content. Not to mention brutally difficult. I cleared a run finally and decided that that was enough for me. Dig made me interested in checking out the original Shovel Knight, which is a game I’ve overlooked for years, so that’s cool.

22) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (NSW)

Played this on NSO. I played Sonic 1 a few weeks ago, and found it to be a very frustrating experience. Sonic 2 is an improvement in just about every single way; it’s got better level design, better boss fights, better special stages, and Tails! Even though Tails is completely useless, haha. I found Sonic 2 to be much less difficult than Sonic 1, until the final level and the two final bosses. Those were pretty tough, and I’ll admit I made liberal use of rewind there. Overall, I really enjoyed Sonic 2. Hopefully Sonic Origins goes on a good sale soon so I can check out Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic CD.

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
2) Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Xbox Series S)
3) Psychonauts 2 (Xbox Series S)
4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (NSO)
5) Dungeon Encounters (Switch)
6) No More Heroes 3 (Switch)
7) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
8) Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch)
9) Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
10) Metroid Dread (Switch)
11) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
12) Mass Effect 1 [Legendary Edition] (Xbox Series S)
13) Mass Effect 2 [Legendary Edition]
(Xbox Series S)
14) Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch)
15) Live A Live (Switch)
16) Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Switch)
17) Mass Effect 3 [Legendary Edition] Xbox Series S

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. The last time I tried to play it I bounced off it pretty early; its linearity and some narrative choices put me off the first time I played it (saved the Rachni Queen? killed the Rachni Queen? Never mind, same mission as a reward!). I get it was always going to be difficult to wrap things up, and I respect that a number of stories come to a strong conclusion (I really like the Geth/Quarian narrative end, for example).

The game's ending is somewhat improved by the Leviathan DLC explaining the origin of the Reapers and Catalyst, but the narrative choice at the end is still an empty-feeling one. They try to load endings with ambiguity and destruction and loss, and given how much effort I put into getting 'good' results throughout the trilogy, it still rankles after a decade or so; it's not the only problem I have with the game's writing, but the end segment disappointed me at the time and still did today. The final mission is tonally appropriate, but boring from a narrative and mechanical perspective; a big step below ME2's suicide mission and ME1's journey through Ilos to the Citadel. War Assets being reduced to interchangeable blips in cutscenes, rather than giving you some say over deployment or some choices during the actual mission, is a disappointingly linear end to the series.

I actually think the most profound ending is to refuse the choice, and give the next cycle a fighting chance. It's a braver ending, though the execution and level of detail there is obviously lesser than the other endings, given it was only added after the fan outcry.

I feel like the options should be improved depending on the choices you made to reconcile different races and end problems; I cured the genophage and provided the Krogan with stable leadership, I saved the original council to demonstrate humanity's commitment to the galactic community; I reconciled the Geth and the Quarians; I gave the Rachni a second chance. A bunch of narrative choices have to be made for all those steps, and it's not as if you get there without loss: Ashley Williams on Virmire, XO Pressly in the Collector ambush, Mordin Solus to cure the genophage, Thane to save the Salarian councillor, Legion to enhance the Geth and help achieve peace, Cortez to land on Earth, Admiral Anderson to get to the Catalyst.

Those losses and compromises are narratively and emotionally satisfying in a way that none of the ending compromises are. I don't want the perfect ending, but I also would never get it anyway - my Shepard has already lost a lot, and that's with making 'good' choices. The game doesn't really acknowledge that.

There's a lot I really enjoyed here, to be fair, and I'm really glad I revisited the trilogy.

26th game finished for 2022 is Snakebird. It’s a tough cookie to crack. Hopefully some of the brain cells I used on this game can help me finish Baba Is You next.

#17. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I'm not sure I want to add more words to Xenoblade 2 than what has already been discussed on this forum so I'll keep it brief. Generally, I really liked this game, exploration is a ton of fun, the combat system is for the most part an improvement over Xeno 1 and the story's great (although it takes a while for it to get going). Despite this, I'd say I liked it less than Xeno 1, mostly because of the game's "juvenile" tone. Even so, I still played for over 100 hours and a had a great time.

I'll get to Torna sometime soon, but I need a Xenobreak for a little while, these games are fun but they're also a little tiring. I'll eventually get to Xeno 3 as well but I feel that'll happen in like late 2023, just in time for the final DLC!

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)
18) Portal 2 (NSW)

23) Octodad: Dadliest Catch (NSW)

This is a replay for me. I first played Octodad on Steam probably ten years ago and had a blast. When I saw it was on the eShop I knew I had to play it again, and I’m glad I did! Even if it’s short, this is a wacky game with a ton of charm. Recommended!

24) Beeny (NSW)

From the developer behind Toree 3D and Toree 3D 2 comes this nice little game that serves as a prequel of sorts to Super Kiwi 64. It only takes a half an hour to get 100%, but the game is only one dollar. And it’s decently fun for that price! Not to mention the fun little surprise you get for beating the game.

23. Live A Live

I had been wanting to play this, but since the release was so close to Xenoblade, I put it off until now. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I liked the bite-size scenarios that allowed me to just play one all the way through after coming home from work. Some scenarios I liked more than others, but I had a great time playing through all of them.

27th game finished is Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Mostly picked this up because the reboot got delayed and this was the copy I had lying around. Still really fun even if I think it overemphasizes the CO powers.

80. Yar's Revenge (XBLA/Steam) [9/10]

A really great an underrated on-rails shooter in the style of Sin and Punishment. You need to set the sensitivity on max for the xbox version, but once you do it's really creative and a lot of fun. Bought on both platforms, would buy a sequel. Cool bugs and good character designs.

81. Tyco R/C: Assault with a Battery (PS1) [4/10]

My biggest disappointment of the year. Despite the killer name and the fact that it's made by the Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver team, this is mostly just a stinky racer. There are also chickens everywhere because the dev is called the Crazy Chicken or whatever which is lame.

82. Ninja Gaiden (NES) [7/10]

Played via our beloved NSO. Always hated this game because it's obviously slapped together by like two interns put on a low priority port job, and it shows. The game is barely functional and it's hard to say the levels are designed at all, like so many other NES action platformers that end up on shows like the Angry Video Game Nerd. But as I played I began to find it charming that such an amateur effort somehow became a major hit and spawned a whole series. We appreciate accidental art.

24. Beeny

I mostly picked this up because it was cheap and I liked the DKC-style graphics. It's extremely short (I think I finished everything in under half an hour), but it's fun enough for the cost ($1).

Jan - Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Feb - Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Apr - Disco Elysium
Jun - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Crimson Flower route)
Jul - Kentucky Route Zero
Aug - Doki Doki Literature Club Plus
Aug - Death's Door
Oct - Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Tried Eastward but couldn't really get into it. It's supposed to be not that long a game so I'll probably try to pick it up again in the future. The surprise ending for the first above-world zone came as quite a shock though!

Finally at a position when I'm happy to consider MHRS completed. I'll probably come back to it once in a while to try the new monsters. Especially once they start introducing new Elder Dragons through Title Updates. Really happy to get to cap my MHR experience with visits to the cafes in Japan!

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)
18) Portal 2 (NSW)
24) Beeny (NSW)

25) GRID Legends (XSS)
Perfectly competent and yet terribly boring. It's not compelling in any way really. It does have a slightly interesting AI system where if you piss them off they'll try to actually kill you. That's pretty much the only thing that stands out in the entire package. It's only worth it if you can find the game on a deep sale, or if you play it on Game Pass.

26) Horizon Chase 2 (iOS)
In contrast to GRID Legends, this is actually a cool and good racing game. It's a sequel to Horizon Chase Turbo, which is a retro throwback to arcade racers like Outrun. It's fast, fun, and pretty to look at. The difficulty skyrockets during the last few events which knocks the enjoyment level down a notch or two. It's definitely worth playing if you have Apple Arcade and a controller, or when it eventually comes to other platforms.

24. Grandia 1. I really hadn't heard of this series before I bought the Grandia HD Collection. While I like 2's story a bit more, 1 plays really well, and it manages to be a good RPG that was two discs back in those PS1 days. The voice acting is 1 is sometimes funny, 2 definitely had the better voice acting. Glad I played these, would be great if the Lunar games were made available in the West again.
25. Dracula X. Got the best ending, save states really helped with the second half of the game. Death wound up being more difficult to beat than Dracula for me. Next Castlevania for this month for me is Circle of the Moon.

#18. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

It sure is weird to go from a 100+ hour adventure with uneven pacing to a game like this... I've been posting impressions on ALBW in other threads so I'll just summarize them by saying that I really loved this game. I think it may have immediately climbed to my favorite 2D Zelda spot, the visuals aren't as charming as in Minish Cap and the story's not as good as Link's Awakening (although it has its moments) but the gameplay is just superior to any other 2D Zelda. I also loved the dungeon design. Everyone that likes Zelda and has a 3DS just needs to play this.

52. Splatoon 3 [ Switch ] Hero Mode - 8

Splatoon 1's campaign was a nice novelty with a fantastic final boss, Splatoon 2's was pretty much a repeat when it didn't need to be since it had a pretty cool premise, I haven't finished Octo Expansion. At its core Splatoon 3's story mode has that novelty feeling of the first game, it has a more interesting structure, the music is new, a great finale, it feels like a package with more effort put into it, but I still feel is lacking in ways that I feel it shouldn't when it comes to my expectations with Nintendo games, enemy variety is still pretty low, the game kind of hides it by not having that many combat focused levels, but when it does focus on that, it boils down to fighting the same things as the previous games without much variation. The campaign strays away more from being a tutorial for the multiplayer by removing stuff like the Octoling confrontations over multiplayer maps, so I feel that the game then should try to make the mode a tad more interesting than it is. The level progression in terms of challenge sometimes also lacks in some areas, is fine for the amount of break all the targets levels, but for some main level gimmicks, the stages feel a tad too short and doesn't have the flow of say, something like 3D Mario or a Donkey Kong of having a tempo of a beginning, middle and climax to the mechanic presented, it doesn't apply to every level, but it is something I noticed. Splatoon is a tad conflicting for me as a series, for how fresh is presented as, and being one of the most lore and continuity heavy Nintendo series, it feels like the steps it takes for it to be more unique and interesting are pretty small between entries, and idk how I would feel about 3 if I had finished Octo Expansion. I do think it has potential for it to be pretty excellent, but it hasn't reached that level yet. And that is all aside to the very slow amount of improvements to the MP aspects of the game, but at least Salmon Run can be played at any time now.

53. Yoiyami Dancers: Twilight Danmaku Dancers [ PC ]

Cute little bullet hell action rhythm game, great music arrangements, the sound font reminds me a lot of Shinichi's Kirby games.

I reached a point where I would feel like a fraud by continuing to play Touhou fan games without at least playing proper Touhou, so that is what I did.

54. Touhou Rei'iden: The Highly Responsive to Prayers - Pretty janky but still pretty novel breakout style game, not particularly good, but worth a look.
55. Touhou Fuumaroku: The Story of Eastern Wonderland - First canonical gay Touhou moment.
56. Touhou Yumejikuu: Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream - Twinkle Star Sprites style game, never played that to compare it, but I had fun with this.
57. Touhou Gensoukyou: Lotus Land Story - Either this or 2 I would say are good entry level games for bullet hell or Touhou in general.
58. Touhou Kaikidan: Mystic Square - A problem that sometimes comes up with 4 and 5 is that the background colors sometimes blend with the bullet colors, making it pretty disorienting at times.
59. Touhou Koumakyou: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - Just really solid overall.

Time to try to catch up on write-ups ahead of the Sonic and Pokemon one-two punch. These are in approximate chronological order and only include games that I rolled credits on this year.

1. Pokemon Legends Arceus (4/5) - Not much I can add to the discourse of this game that hasn't already been said. Despite some issues such as graphics and control layout, a much-needed breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise.

2. Super Mario 3D World... (4/5) - Enjoyable enough in single-player but elevated greatly in a local co-op setting. A great distillation of the 2D Mario ethos to three-dimensional space.

3. ... + Bowser's Fury (5/5) - A wildly experimental Mario adventure in a large open world that pays off dividends. Struck a perfect balance between rewarding curiosity and exploration while also providing substantive, structured platforming "levels."

4. Bugsnax (3.5/5) - A solid first-person adventure game to boot with well-written dialogue (accompanied by great, full voice acting) and quirky characters. The Switch port is just as solid, running at native resolution in handheld mode and without compromises to audio quality, at least to my ear.

5. FTL: Faster Than Light (5/5) - An excellent roguelike where each run feels like a proper space adventure with high stakes, tense and strategic ship battles, and many, many decisions to make that can decide the ultimate fate of the run. The metagame of unlocking new ships and ship layouts is dangerously addictive, I might add.

6. Max Payne 3 (4/5) - A surprisingly good third-person shooter from Rockstar Games. Although the narrative's self-importance (and unskippable mid-level cutscenes) may wear thin on replays, the gunplay is excellent and the graphics have aged quite well.

7. Neon White (5/5) - A wicked fast first-person with more emphasis on traversal and platforming than shooting lines of enemies (although there is plenty of that, too). The aggressively 2000's edgy aesthetic and derivative chosen-one story are weak points, but they are more than made up for by how well the game plays.

8. Poinpy (4.5/5) - A great... roguelike... vertical platformer? It is hard to place labels on Poinpy but its gameplay loop of climbing up and up, failing and getting better each time gripped me to the finish. Unlike other games of its type you will find on mobile, it has a definitive ending with endless mode only unlocked as a bonus once you reach it. Don't sleep on this if you subscribe to Netflix and have a phone.

9. Portal (5/5) - Another game I don't have much to add on that hasn't already been said.

10. Into The Breach: Advanced Edition (4/5) - Although the core strategy game provided a fresh spin on turn-based tactics, I found the meta progression and lack of substance in runs less satisfying than Subset's previous game, FTL.

A few more to come later...

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)
18) Portal 2 (NSW)
24) Beeny (NSW)
25) GRID Legends (XSS)

27) Sayonara Wild Hearts (iOS)

I really dug the visuals and the music. The gameplay was kinda too frantic to be fun though. I had heard that this was a rhythm game, but it’s really not. It’s kinda like an endless runner with some QTE bits. It’s pretty short too. The story was confusing, but I enjoyed the parts I understood.

28) God of War 2018 (PS5)

Very close to a masterpiece. I loved the world, the characters, the story, the music… everything except the actual gameplay. The moment to moment gameplay is very average. I’m still super hyped for Ragnarok though - I need to see how the story ends!

28th game finished for 2022, err, isn’t much of a game, but I love my silly narrative experiences. How to Cope with Boredom and Loneliness is about a journalist who wants to film a documentary about a guy who’s been grounded in his room for over 30 years. You just click on stuff and listen to the dialogue, and you just have to decide what to feature in your film. If you’re into weird humor and surprisingly poignant backstories, check this out on a free afternoon.

1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land | NSW | 8
2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus | NSW | 8.5
3. Peggle | XSS | 7.5
4. Peggle 2 | XSS | 5
5. Katamari Damacy Reroll | XSS | 7
6. It Takes Two | XSS | 9
7. Splatoon 3 | NSW | 8

8. The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes | PS5 | 7.5

My first foray into Supermassive games after I picked up a discounted physical copy last month while travelling abroad. I enjoyed the gameplay and have already downloaded some other games from the studio from the PSN to play for spooky season. Much has been written about this genre that's been growing in popularity over the past few years so I don't have much to add to that. I'll only say that as horror stories go, House of Ashes was fairly unintriguing to me and the characters unsympathetic aside from Salim. Otherwise this would probably have scored higher. I'm excited to play the other games and see if any of them resonate better with me.​

1) A Link to the Past (March 29th)
2) Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania (April 6)
3) Dojoran (April 8th)
4) Katamari Damacy Reroll (April 15th)
5) Pokémon Legends Arceus (April 15th)
6) WarioWare: Get it Together! (April 30th)
I think Zelda, Dojoran, Katamari and Monkey Ball I had all begun playing last year. So all of these are less than 5 hours other than Pokémon lol
I forgot to update this:
7) Cuphead (September 27th)
8) Portal (October 8th)
Again, I had already started these games years prior. Started on World 2 in Cuphead and Test 19 in Portal to finish them this year.

29th game finished for 2022 is Zombie Apocalypse Survival Simulator. You basically get quizzed on how much of a survivor you are. I got 95%. Bring it on, zombies.

#19. Mario & Luigi Paper Jam

Oh boy... I wish I could say I loved this game but I'm closer to saying I hated it to be honest. I started playing this game more than a year ago and entered a cycle of dropping it, picking it up again to try and finish it and then dropping it again until I finally managed to beat it today. On one hand, the traditional Mario & Luigi gameplay is actually pretty well executed here, with fun overworld abilities and fun battle mechanics. On the other hand, the game is filled with annoying minigames and interruptions that completely ruin the pace. I'd often pick up the game, be like "oh yeah the battling here is actually great" and then quickly reach some random minigame and be like "fuck this game" and stop playing...

Anyway, I can't really recommend this game. I think it's a little better than Dream Team (mostly since it's a lot shorter lol) but it's definitely not a good game in my eyes. It's kind of a shame the M&L franchise ended up like this. To me, it felt like Alpha Dream learned the wrong lessons from the success of Bowser's Inside Story and that eventually led to the death of the franchise. Oh well...

#1 Shin Megami Tensei V (83h)
#2 Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (5h+)
#3 Taiko no Tatsujin Drum'n'Fun (25h+)
#4 The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (30h+)
#5 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (75h+)
#6 Pokémon Legends Arceus (102h)
#7 The Great Ace Attorney Adventure (35h+)
#8 Rez Infinite (3h)
#9 Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
#10 Megaman (Wily Wars version)
#11 Banjo Kazooie (13h)
#12 Megaman 2 (Wily Wars)
#13 Megaman 3 (Wily Wars)
#14 Pokémon Puzzle League
#15 Megaman 5
#16 Megaman 6
#17 Megaman 7
#18 Megaman 8
#19 Megaman X
#20 Megaman X2
#21 Megaman X3
#22 Megaman X4
#23 Horizon Zero Dawn (80h)

#24 Kirby's Return to DreamLand
#25 Paper Mario (28h)

I started Kirby's Return to DreamLand probably around 2014, when I bought it for my Wii U. When it released, Kirby had been going a long time without a proper 2D platforming game in the classic style (that's probably why it had "Return" in the name) and I was craving for it, so the game was a delight. However, my determination about going for 100% completion ended up getting in the way of me actually completing the game (as it usually happens). At the same time, Kirby as a franchise got into the crazy rampage we are seeing to this day, with so many games released one after the other, and what I was once craving for started to saturate me a bit. So RtD ended up being left unfinished for years right at the last world. When the Switch port was announced last month, I decided to finish the game once and for all and sell my Wii copy before its price tanked, and so I did it. The game was finished and sold, and I can finally move on from it lol It's a great game, I think. I wash I hadn't been so keen on 100%ing it because I think I would have enjoyed it more. The final sequence felt like it was never going to end, but it amounted to an epic ending after all. Now I finally get all the jokes about Magolor lol

I played Paper Mario for the very first time this year on NSO. I had played other Mario RPGs and they all play more or less the same so I knew what to expect, but Paper Mario still stood out as a game that felt more like a big release than a side gig. The humor is obviously spot on, and I specially loved how cute the art is. As a huge fan os Yoshi's Island, I appreciate how much influence it has over this game, and how the art is essentially the same style (I miss that style A LOT by the way, I wish they would go back to it someday). I do have some quips on the game as an RPG, the character building aspect is a bit stale when it's limited to the badge system, it doesn't feel like I'm doing much progress. The party members add a little variety but I wish they were actual characters with their own stats. By the end of the game, I was pushing through to see it finished, because I always end up bored at an RPG that doesn't have a compelling progress system. I suspect I might not even miss the RPG elements that were removed in later entries because I don't think they were very good to begin with, and if the franchise chose to focus on it's strenghts that's someone I could appreciate. But I can only judge that when I've played a modern entry.

Now I'm juggling between many different games: Carrion (still haven't finished, I play a bit every now and then but each play session is still a delight, Halloween might be the time to finally finish it), Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (grabbed it because I'm a huge SNES DKC fan and felt disappointed, I don't think the gameplay is very interesting to be honest), Kaze and the Wild Masks (grabbed it because I'm a huge SNES DKC fan and it surpassed my expectations, the gameplay is amazing and I'm happy it's not afraid to be derivative because SNES DKC is fucking great and we need more like it), Pokémon Snap (I know the game like the palm of my hand from playing it so many times so I'm not in a rush to finish it. I play a level now and then and it's a great nostalgia session), and Dragon Quest VII (I started this juggernaut of a game around a year ago and took two pauses. I think I'm approaching the end, though! I love it of course, it's Dragon Quest, but I kinda want to move on at this point, will elaborate further when I finish it). I intend to get it all finished before Pokémon Violet and Dragon Quest Treasures steal all my attention in the following months, let's see!

60. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope [ Switch ] - 5 outta 5, holy shit.

Past me would have called me crazy at this point in my life, not interested in Fire Emblem anymore and having a crossover between Mario and the Rabbids of all things as the current, most compelling strategy game out of Nintendo, developed by Ubisoft in this case tho.

It's also pretty crazy that Sparks of Hope is the most soulful and without seemingly any creative restrictions Mario RPG since Dream Team, that was 2013, and really all it took was a crossover, Rabbids aren't Toads after all.

So, story, pretty nice, a simple tale told well, with some pretty nicely animated cutscenes, copious amounts of world building and character that I wasn't expecting from the Rabbids, lot of good humor, gave me some good Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi vibes here and there, but is still mostly its own unique charm and style which makes a great addition to the Mario universe.

Presentation wise is an improvement over the first game, while is not as tight of a looker as the original, the general art direction is something I like more, is less a basic Mario world, and more so getting its own identity across the different planets, I would have liked more visual polish, but if given only a choice, I take a more interesting take on Mario worlds over that. Music is a major step up as well, I like Kingdom Battle's soundtrack, but is not filled with excellence as Mario usually is, lot of fun tracks and a handful of more epic tracks for the later game, solid. Sparks of Hope starts with this, is a bit jarring to hear this, not so much out of Mario because that always gets stuff like this, but a Rabbids game? A soundtrack filled with a great diversity of cheerful tracks, battle themes both of the uplifting and we are in a desperate situation for survival vibes, melancholic tunes, a lot of it pretty memorable, all 3 composers did a pretty great job.

On the whole, gameplay I would say is better than Kingdom Battle, is funny, despite the fact that now battles take place within a small parallel world, it does a great job in contextualizing them within the narrative more so than being a mostly level by level progression, Sparks of Hope is a lot more set piece heavy, a lot of the main battles having a story on their own, specially the darkmess shards fights, all of them pretty memorable. The new battle system leads to a lot more character expression when it comes to the strategy, being able to pull some really cool shit in a lot of scenarios, something that reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles, just with consistently good level design here. I tend to progress in the skill trees here towards the extra skills that make the strategy game a lot more fun over health and damage percentages, also means that you don't really need to improve that in order to beat the game, is a good balancing act to discourage game design where it would prioritize grinding and allows for the strategy game to be a strategy game. Exploration is pretty cool, you can walk around the well sized hubs for items and other fights as side quests, it also has a good amount of light puzzle solving, having this across the game's pseudo dungeons is something that takes me back to my favorites of the genre back in the Gamecube and PS2, and that has pretty much died for the most part. Another system that I find cool is how healing your team outside of battle works, you have to pay coins for that, and every time you use it, it increases the rate by 5 coins, is a neat feature that encourages playing well instead of risking your characters taking damage across every encounter, a system like that would have been welcomed in a game like Origami King that puts a heavy emphasis on them. An issue with this game, is that there is sometimes delays in your actions, so the game controls in exploration doesn't feel as tight as it should be, and much like Kingdom Battle, it feels like the game is being held together with duck tape and Miyamoto's blessing, in the sense that I feel that something might glitch out at any moment, I had a mostly stable time with it, only had one crash, plus in some puzzles boxes would get stuck and not go over a button, for one in the later part of the game, I had to exit to the title screen and load the game again for it to work again.

In terms of difficulty, at the normal level, Sparks of Hope is for the most part easier than Kingdom Battle, but that still leaves a fairly challenging strategy game where you need to think about your moves and there will also be moments where a slip up can lead easily to a wipe, maybe I'll try the harder mode sometime but I don't really need it, besides, I don't trust difficulty levels in RPGs. Anyways, good on the challenge, I don't mind Mario being on the easier side, but is fun to have a tough enough game here and there to mix it up.

The only sticking point as a negative that I have with this game, are the, skirmishes, the overworld enemies fights, is something that I don't think it will ever work in a strategy game the same way it works in a turn based or action RPG, making complex level design and encounters in strategy game would lead to fatigue on the player, asking for a same or similar amount of strategy in inconsequential fights against grunts and main story scenarios that matter, and the game could have done away with them, the hub aren't gigantic or anything like that, there are plenty of side scenarios to keep one busy beyond the main story, and due to the leveling, progression, and some level scaling in a lot of missions, it becomes unnecessary to even have these. Some props to it tho, is that it at least tries harder than a Fire Emblem in this regard, the level design and enemy load outs are good enough, and you can be efficient in these, trying to do it in a single turn and stuff like that, it still encourages character expression to a decent extent, but again, can live and rather live without them, they are also easily avoidable for the most part, and even the game design mini stealth portions here and there by having some cover if there is an item beyond one of the patrolling enemies, so is not the worst thing in the world, but still, didn't need them.

In conclusion, Sparks of Hope is fantastic, is quite something that Ubisoft (of all companies), instead of just making am iterative sequel (which would have been perfectly fine), decided instead to take the mold and shift it just enough to create a different dynamic of play, put a ton more effort in creating a world and story that stands up to the better RPGs in the franchise, truly a work of passion. At the end of Kingdom Battle I said "this was pretty cool", at the end of this I say "gimme another one, I want more of this universe".

Also I like that the Rabbids talk, but it was cruel that we didn't get a latin american spanish dub, 0/10 game.

Games I’ve completed this year:

1. Xenoblade 3
2. Disco Elysium
3. Return to Monkey Island
4. Fire Emblem Three Hopes
5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Pretty happy with that honestly, beating 6 games in a year is a lot for me and there’s still two months to go.

Three Hopes was definitely the worst of those since I’m not a huge fan of Musous, but I did enjoy the story and more additions for Three Houses.

The rest of them were all fantastic though. Xenoblade and Disco especially, both of those would be making my top Switch games list for sure.

60. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope [ Switch ] - 5 outta 5, holy shit.

Past me would have called me crazy at this point in my life, not interested in Fire Emblem anymore and having a crossover between Mario and the Rabbids of all things as the current, most compelling strategy game out of Nintendo, developed by Ubisoft in this case tho.

It's also pretty crazy that Sparks of Hope is the most soulful and without seemingly any creative restrictions Mario RPG since Dream Team, that was 2013, and really all it took was a crossover, Rabbids aren't Toads after all.

So, story, pretty nice, a simple tale told well, with some pretty nicely animated cutscenes, copious amounts of world building and character that I wasn't expecting from the Rabbids, lot of good humor, gave me some good Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi vibes here and there, but is still mostly its own unique charm and style which makes a great addition to the Mario universe.

Presentation wise is an improvement over the first game, while is not as tight of a looker as the original, the general art direction is something I like more, is less a basic Mario world, and more so getting its own identity across the different planets, I would have liked more visual polish, but if given only a choice, I take a more interesting take on Mario worlds over that. Music is a major step up as well, I like Kingdom Battle's soundtrack, but is not filled with excellence as Mario usually is, lot of fun tracks and a handful of more epic tracks for the later game, solid. Sparks of Hope starts with this, is a bit jarring to hear this, not so much out of Mario because that always gets stuff like this, but a Rabbids game? A soundtrack filled with a great diversity of cheerful tracks, battle themes both of the uplifting and we are in a desperate situation for survival vibes, melancholic tunes, a lot of it pretty memorable, all 3 composers did a pretty great job.

On the whole, gameplay I would say is better than Kingdom Battle, is funny, despite the fact that now battles take place within a small parallel world, it does a great job in contextualizing them within the narrative more so than being a mostly level by level progression, Sparks of Hope is a lot more set piece heavy, a lot of the main battles having a story on their own, specially the darkmess shards fights, all of them pretty memorable. The new battle system leads to a lot more character expression when it comes to the strategy, being able to pull some really cool shit in a lot of scenarios, something that reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles, just with consistently good level design here. I tend to progress in the skill trees here towards the extra skills that make the strategy game a lot more fun over health and damage percentages, also means that you don't really need to improve that in order to beat the game, is a good balancing act to discourage game design where it would prioritize grinding and allows for the strategy game to be a strategy game. Exploration is pretty cool, you can walk around the well sized hubs for items and other fights as side quests, it also has a good amount of light puzzle solving, having this across the game's pseudo dungeons is something that takes me back to my favorites of the genre back in the Gamecube and PS2, and that has pretty much died for the most part. Another system that I find cool is how healing your team outside of battle works, you have to pay coins for that, and every time you use it, it increases the rate by 5 coins, is a neat feature that encourages playing well instead of risking your characters taking damage across every encounter, a system like that would have been welcomed in a game like Origami King that puts a heavy emphasis on them. An issue with this game, is that there is sometimes delays in your actions, so the game controls in exploration doesn't feel as tight as it should be, and much like Kingdom Battle, it feels like the game is being held together with duck tape and Miyamoto's blessing, in the sense that I feel that something might glitch out at any moment, I had a mostly stable time with it, only had one crash, plus in some puzzles boxes would get stuck and not go over a button, for one in the later part of the game, I had to exit to the title screen and load the game again for it to work again.

In terms of difficulty, at the normal level, Sparks of Hope is for the most part easier than Kingdom Battle, but that still leaves a fairly challenging strategy game where you need to think about your moves and there will also be moments where a slip up can lead easily to a wipe, maybe I'll try the harder mode sometime but I don't really need it, besides, I don't trust difficulty levels in RPGs. Anyways, good on the challenge, I don't mind Mario being on the easier side, but is fun to have a tough enough game here and there to mix it up.

The only sticking point as a negative that I have with this game, are the, skirmishes, the overworld enemies fights, is something that I don't think it will ever work in a strategy game the same way it works in a turn based or action RPG, making complex level design and encounters in strategy game would lead to fatigue on the player, asking for a same or similar amount of strategy in inconsequential fights against grunts and main story scenarios that matter, and the game could have done away with them, the hub aren't gigantic or anything like that, there are plenty of side scenarios to keep one busy beyond the main story, and due to the leveling, progression, and some level scaling in a lot of missions, it becomes unnecessary to even have these. Some props to it tho, is that it at least tries harder than a Fire Emblem in this regard, the level design and enemy load outs are good enough, and you can be efficient in these, trying to do it in a single turn and stuff like that, it still encourages character expression to a decent extent, but again, can live and rather live without them, they are also easily avoidable for the most part, and even the game design mini stealth portions here and there by having some cover if there is an item beyond one of the patrolling enemies, so is not the worst thing in the world, but still, didn't need them.

In conclusion, Sparks of Hope is fantastic, is quite something that Ubisoft (of all companies), instead of just making am iterative sequel (which would have been perfectly fine), decided instead to take the mold and shift it just enough to create a different dynamic of play, put a ton more effort in creating a world and story that stands up to the better RPGs in the franchise, truly a work of passion. At the end of Kingdom Battle I said "this was pretty cool", at the end of this I say "gimme another one, I want more of this universe".

Also I like that the Rabbids talk, but it was cruel that we didn't get a latin american spanish dub, 0/10 game.

This is an insightful and all around great review of the game. Thank you!

#10 Megaman (Wily Wars version)
#12 Megaman 2 (Wily Wars)
#13 Megaman 3 (Wily Wars)
#15 Megaman 5
#16 Megaman 6
#17 Megaman 7
#18 Megaman 8
#19 Megaman X
#20 Megaman X2
#21 Megaman X3
#22 Megaman X4

So I heard you like Mega Man.. :>

First time or replays?

1. Castlevania Bloodlines - [NSW-NSO]
2. The Gunk - [XSX-GP]
3. Dr.Mario64 - [NSW-NSO]
4. Dying Light - [NSW]
5. Dying Light: The Following [NSW]
6. Fantasy Tower Defense [NSW]
7. Lords of Waterdeep [Steam]
8. Elden Ring - [XSX]
9. Kingdom Rush Origins [NSW]
10. Torchlight II [NSW]
11. Golden Axe [NSW-NSO]
12. Streets of Rage 2 [NSW-NSO]
13. Contra: Hard Corpse [NSW-NSO]
14. Triangle Strategy [NSW]
15. Yoshi's Story [NSW-NSO]
16. Far Lone Sails [NSW]
17. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [NSW]
18. Darksiders: Genesis [NSW]
19. Ruined King: A League of Legends Story [NSW]
20. Turtles: Shredders Revenge [XSX-GP]
21. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 [NSW]
22. Mario Strikers: Battle League [NSW]
23. Limbo [NSW]
24. Arise - A simple Story [NSW]
25. Firewatch [XSX-GP]
26. Bioshock Remastered [NSW]
27. Nier Automata: The End of Yorha Edition (Route-A) [NSW]

Currently playing:
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak [NSW]
Professor Layton and the Lost Future [NDS]
Return to Monkey Island [NSW]
Final Fantasy VII [NSW]
Nier Automata: The End of Yorha Edition [NSW]
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope [NSW]
Bayonetta 3 [NSW]

Paused
Skyward Sword HD [NSW]
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim [NSW]

Updated with beaten games since the summer in bold, currently rolling a lot of games slowly progressing on all of them at a very slow pace (dont know why I do this to myself) so at some point, the list will get a whole lot newly beaten games.

So I heard you like Mega Man.. :>

First time or replays?

These were replays, I'm a long time Megaman fan haha Except for Wily Wars, it was my first time playing those versions Megaman 1, 2 and 3. Since I was on a Megaman rush after playing them, I went on to the rest of the franchise because I had bought the legacy collections but hadn't played them yet.

Here's mine. Doesn't include all the games I dropped because I thought they were crap, so the average score will be pretty high. Some of these you don't "beat", you just play until it's like you've beaten them. For example - completing one full season in a sports game counts to me as "beating" that game.

Really shows off how little use my Switch has gotten this year, though. Need that Switch Pro ASAP.

Code:
1    Gears 5                    XSX    ★★★☆☆
2    Pokemon Legends Arceus    NSW    ★★★★☆
3    Unpacking                NSW    ★★★☆☆
4    Elden Ring                XSX    ★★★★★
5    Tunic                    XSX    ★★★☆☆
6    Clap Hanz Golf            iOS    ★★★★★
7    Mini Motorways            iOS    ★★★★☆
8    Doom (2016)                XSX    ★★★☆☆
9    Doom Eternal            XSX    ★★★★☆
10    Doki Literature Club    NSW    ★☆☆☆☆
11    Spiritfarer                XSX    ★★★★★
12    Into the Breach            NSW    ★★★☆☆
13    F1 2021                    XSX    ★★★★☆
14    Walkabout Mini Golf        QST    ★★★★★
15    Puzzling Places            QST    ★★★★☆
16    Eleven Table Tennis        QST    ★★★★☆
17    Sniper Elite 5            XSX    ★★★★★
18    Ass Creed: Origins        XSX    ★★★★★
19    FIFA 21                    XSX    ★★★☆☆
20    TMNT: Shredder's Rev    XSX    ★★★★☆
21    AM2R                    NSW    ★★★★★
22    Sayonara Wild Hearts    NSW    ★★★★★
23    Gris                    NSW    ★★★☆☆
24    Hitman 2016                XSX    ★★★★★
25    Hitman 2                XSX    ★★★★★
26    Xenoblade Chronicles 3    NSW    ★★★☆☆
27    Hitman 3                XSX    ★★★★★
28    Splatoon 3                NSW    ★★★☆☆
29    Dirt 2.0                XSX    ★★★★☆
30    Mortal Kombat 11        XSX    ★★★★★
31    Red Dead Redemption 2    XSX    ★★★★★
32    PGA Tour 2k23            XSX    ★★★★★

Currently playing: Plague Tale Requiem; Portal 2

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
2) Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Xbox Series S)
3) Psychonauts 2 (Xbox Series S)
4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (NSO)
5) Dungeon Encounters (Switch)
6) No More Heroes 3 (Switch)
7) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
8) Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch)
9) Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
10) Metroid Dread (Switch)
11) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
12) Mass Effect 1 [Legendary Edition] (Xbox Series S)
13) Mass Effect 2 [Legendary Edition]
(Xbox Series S)
14) Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch)
15) Live A Live (Switch)
16) Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Switch)
17) Mass Effect 3 [Legendary Edition] Xbox Series S
18) Splatoon 3 (Switch)
Finished the campaign, which I thought was excellent, plus about 16 hours on Turf War and Salmon Run. I'll be returning to it once I decide what NSO sub to get. I'm glad the online has improved, at least, because my first week or so with it was deeply frustrating through connection errors. Would love more Splatoon in Space content.

Haven't updated this since early September, finally getting around to adding the following:
Splatoon 3 - Enjoyed it a ton, perhaps my favourite campaign in the series followed closely by Octo-Expansion. It's not a radical reinvention of the wheel but I did like all of the small additions and the level design is as tight and clever as usual. In true Splatoon fashion everything culminates in a bombastic finale. Can't wait for the DLC.
Rayman Legends - Still a great game, almost as good as Origins. The Murphy segments feel a bit tacked on when played on the Switch and mess with the flow. I feel like I remember them not bothering me as much on Wii U but I could be mistaken. Didn't go for 100% completion but finally finished all the levels so that's something.
Picross S - This was burning a hole into my backlog with only roughly a page of puzzles left unfinished. Had time on my trip to London, now I won't feel bad about moving onto S2.

Hope I didn't forget anything, might have to check my Xbox again.

1. Dragon Quest V
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Banjo-Kazooie
  4. Myst
  5. The Artful Escape
  6. Kirby Planet Robobot
  7. Death's Door
  8. Star Fox 64 3D
  9. Splatoon
  10. Far: Changing Tides
  11. Monument Valley 2+
  12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  13. The Last Friend
  14. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
  15. Yoku's Island Express
  16. Metroid Dread
  17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  18. Trek to Yomi
  19. Rayman Legends
  20. Cosmic Star Heroine
  21. Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising
  22. Asura's Wrath
  23. Assassin's Creed Origins
  24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
  25. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
  26. Kill It With Fire
  27. Star Wars Squadrons
  28. Portal
  29. House Flipper
  30. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  31. Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery
  32. Tunic
  33. Wave Race 64
  34. Tomb Raider (2013)
  35. Tinykin
  36. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  37. Splatoon 3
  38. Rayman Legends
  39. Picross S

30th game finished for 2022 is There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension. It has a lot of meta video game humor which for the most part did not jive with me, partly because the narrator insists on explaining the joke and grinding the punchlines into the ground. But it was amusing enough to finish.

Finally being able to update this

30. Shovel Knight Dig: Very accesible rogue lite. They keep the fluid movements from Shovel Knight and adapt them perfectly.

31. Bloodstained curse of the moon (replay): Did this one for the community challenge and well you can beat inticreate for modern retro style games. Still a blast to play it

32. Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris: took longer than expected,I thought itwas going to be something around 40 hours but it went to 60. It's decent and I already left my comments in the RPG topic. I didn't had any expectations but overall it's good for the price.

1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
8. Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
11. Kirby and the Forgotten land
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga
13. Castlevania AoS
14. Kirby's Dreamland
15. Stanley Parable Deluxe
16. Chrono Cross
17. Tasomachi
18. Seven Pirates H
19. Touken Ranbu Warriors
20. Resident Evil 4
21. TMT SR
22. Overlord
23. FEWTH
24. Hunter X
25. Gunvolt 3
26. Xenoblade 3
27. TMNT Arcade Turtles in time
28. TMNT 3 Radical Rescue
29. Portal

Quick update to add Yooka-Laylee, which I replayed and 100% for the first time. What hasn't been said about this game already? A lot of people were deeply disappointed with it back when it came out, myself included. Nowadays I feel less negative about it, appreciating what it does instead of lamenting where it falls flat. Wish it had had more time in the oven to iron out some kinks but alas. Looking forward to seeing what Playtonic can do with a sequel.

1. Dragon Quest V
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Banjo-Kazooie
  4. Myst
  5. The Artful Escape
  6. Kirby Planet Robobot
  7. Death's Door
  8. Star Fox 64 3D
  9. Splatoon
  10. Far: Changing Tides
  11. Monument Valley 2+
  12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  13. The Last Friend
  14. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
  15. Yoku's Island Express
  16. Metroid Dread
  17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  18. Trek to Yomi
  19. Rayman Legends
  20. Cosmic Star Heroine
  21. Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising
  22. Asura's Wrath
  23. Assassin's Creed Origins
  24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
  25. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
  26. Kill It With Fire
  27. Star Wars Squadrons
  28. Portal
  29. House Flipper
  30. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  31. Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery
  32. Tunic
  33. Wave Race 64
  34. Tomb Raider (2013)
  35. Tinykin
  36. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  37. Splatoon 3
  38. Rayman Legends
  39. Picross S
  40. Yooka-Laylee

Apr - Disco Elysium
Aug - Death's Door
Nov(?) - Dicey Dungeons

Saw that Dicey Dungeons was on discount at the eShop and spent my Nintendo gold on it.
After playing it for a hour or so, I went onto Super Rare Games to get the physical cart. It's a surprisingly fun game. Its short length helps a lot too.

Edit:
September 25th, 2022
(B)

I'll repost what I said in another thread:

I've been playing Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition and I'm having such a great time. This game started as an rpg maker 2003 project many many years ago and I believe they changed to Unity for the enhanced edition.

It's a classic SNES-style RPG with no overly complex systems but still a lot of fun to play.

Some of the nice features:
-> No equipment to buy, instead you craft your initial equipment with materials from exploring and main story items.
-> When you level up you gain 10 points which you can allocate however you want. You can also reset the points at a cost if want to change your builds.
-> You can change difficulty at anytime, and there's even a "story" difficulty which allows you to kill all enemies in a single turn, very useful when you are grinding.
-> The music and mapping are absolutely stunning

This games does a lot of things right for being inspired by classic RPGs, it eliminates random battles, the world is your to explore as much as you want granted you are powerful enough, gives you option to blaze through combat with the "story" mode and doesn't pad for the sake of padding. It's a "short", sweet 20h jrpg experience.

The dialogue is also very good, with realistic interactions between the party members.

Sadly the second half isn't very good in terms of gameplay as you used the same strategy over and over again, I ended up just enabling story mode to oneshot mobs and only fight bosses. I wish you could learn more spells or more variety of debuffs and buffs but for a game that started out as a rpg maker 2003, it's very solid.

Did I mention the world and atmopshere is stunning?

20220924135753_1.jpg

There's a lot of love poured into this game and it shows, I recommend it to everyone. (It's also on Switch, yes)

collateral-damage-studios-ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

We did the key visual for that game!

7) Oct.27 2022 - Trails From Zero (Steam)

100%ed Trails From Zero. It's always a pleasure playing a Trails game, especially the older ones as they are my favorites and have the best writting in the series with a much tighter cast.
I also like that there isn't a huge cliffhanger like the other games but it still leaves you with many unanswered questions like Who actually killed Guy and Who is the actual mastermind behind KeA's appearance in the Auction, what the fuck happened 500 years ago, etc

The OST is incredible as always, with some of my favorite bangers like Inevitable Struggle, Geofront and A Light Illuminating the Depths and some underrated ones like Mainz Village.

Probably my least favorite part of the game are the villains Revache, Joachim Guenter, Garcia, etc are just not memorable for me. Perhaps the only interesting one for me is Cao

But besides that, the game is a solid 9/10 game. I just don't give it a perfect score because Azure is a thing and for me it's peak Trails.

20221022151721_1.jpg

Games Played

(N)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch) [10/10]
(N)
Splatoon 3 (Switch) [9/10]
(N)
Death's Door (Steam) [8/10]
(N)
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE (Steam) [9/10]
(N)
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (Steam) [10/10]
(N)
Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition (Steam) [8/10]
(N)
Trails From Zero (Steam) [9/10]

Apr - Disco Elysium
Aug - Death's Door
Nov(?) - Dicey Dungeons

Saw that Dicey Dungeons was on discount at the eShop and spent my Nintendo gold on it.
After playing it for a hour or so, I went onto Super Rare Games to get the physical cart. It's a surprisingly fun game. Its short length helps a lot too.

collateral-damage-studios-ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

We did the key visual for that game!
Woah that's great! Good job!

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)
18) Portal 2 (NSW)
24) Beeny (NSW)
25) GRID Legends (XSS)
27) Sayonara Wild Hearts (iOS)
28) God of War 2018 (PS5)

29) Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS5)

My very first Resident Evil game. Hopefully not the last. I'm still a big scared baby, but at least I made it through to the end!

30) Inside (XSS)

Saw that this was on Game Pass so I thought I'd give it a shot. Seemed like a nice short creepy experience for Halloween. It turned out to be a very satisfying little puzzle platformer, that is as fun as it is disturbing (until the end, where it turns from disturbing to straight-up WTF). It's also way more graphic with its violence than I was expecting. Rated M for a reason, I guess. Guess I need to play Limbo now.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition [3/5]
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [5/5] (replay)
3. Fire Emblem (GBA) [3/5] (replay)
4. NEO: The World Ends With You [2.5/5]
5. Affordable Space Adventures [3/5]
6. Ghost of Tsushima [3.5/5]
7. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor [2.5/5]
8. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut [3.5/5]
9. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. [3/5]
10. Pokemon Legends; Arceus [3/5]
11. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax [2/5]
12. Bloodborne [4/5]
13. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth [2/5]
14. Elden Ring [4.5/5]
15. Astral Chain [3.5/5] (replay)
16. Dark Souls 3 [3/5]
17. Legend of Mana [3/5]
18. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes [2.5/5]
19. Live A Live [4/5]
20. Kirby and the Forgotten Land [3.5/5]
21. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [3.5/5] (replay)
22. Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls [2/5]
23. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime [3/5]
24. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [3/5]
25. Little King’s Story [3.5/5] (replay)
26. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem [3.5/5]
27. Kirby: Planet Robobot [3/5]

28. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [3/5]
This game was a very mixed bag for me. I really enjoy the stealth gameplay, but most of the vehicle battles were extremely tedious, frustrating, and dragged on for way too long (the Peace Walker fight took me over 40 minutes). Apparently they were designed with multiplayer in mind, so I guess this is what I get for buying a PSP game in 2022. But since I finished the game I’ve been chipping away at the stealth-focused optional missions here and there and I’ve been quite enjoying that, so overall I’m leaning positive toward it.

29. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir [2.5/5]
My second Vanillaware game after having played 13 Sentinels last year. It was interesting to see that George Kamitani’s interest in nonlinear storytelling from multiple perspectives was already apparent in the PS2 era. That said, the story didn’t really grab me here. While the core action gameplay was solid, playing through the same areas and bosses and seeing the same progression play out five times in a row grew quite tiresome by the end. I didn’t have the patience to do all the repeat fights to get the complete ending. I can’t see myself returning to this one, but I did enjoy the gameplay enough that I’ll probably pick up Muramasa Rebirth sometime.

Back
Top Bottom