• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2022 Games Completed Thread |ST|

Oooh this is a cool idea! Elden Ring has absolutely destroyed this year for me, the Lands Between are all consuming my gaming with 223 hours on my first character and close to finishing this week! 🔥 A certain boss is wrecking me at the moment, but I will persevere.

1. TMNT Shredder's Revenge

2. Huntdown
Beat this with a friend on Hard mode and had a good time, some of the bosses really make you earn it. Wish the levels became more complicated or varied, but it was ultimately much more fun with a second player and the arsenal is a blast (heh heh).

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
2) Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Xbox Series S)
3) Psychonauts 2 (Xbox Series S)
4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (NSO)
5) Dungeon Encounters (Switch)
6) No More Heroes 3 (Switch)
7) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
8) Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch)
9) Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
10) Metroid Dread (Switch)
11) Triangle Strategy (Switch)
12) Mass Effect 1 [Legendary Edition] (Xbox Series S)
13) Mass Effect 2 [Legendary Edition]
(Xbox Series S)
14) Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch)
15) Live A Live (Switch)
16) Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Switch)
What a wild ride. I loved Rise's quick gameplay and vertically interesting maps, and Sunbreak really expands on that in interesting ways with some excellent new monsters and a fun new location to boot. Naturally, despite spending 45 to 50 hours on it to hit the credits, I've got mountains more quests I could do even as the updates only just begin. I'm hoping I find the time to keep on playing this, because it's one of my favourite Switch games, all in all. Back to Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for now, though.

2. Huntdown

3. Knights of the Round in the Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
Incredible side scrolling action! Was a blast with three players.

knights-of-the-round-02.big.jpg

4. Armored Warriors in the Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
Incredible side scrolling action! Was a blast with three players.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
29. Fuzz Dungeon (PC)
30. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (Switch)

Fuzz Dungeon has a lot of very trippy and surreal visual choices that makes for a memorable ride. I could see it being divisive, but it was definitely my sort of aesthetic. The game has a bunch of low-stakes mini-games presented with creativity and its consistent sense of ugly beauty, and it doesn't care if you do well or not, you keep going. So there's not much friction, but I still found it to be a beautiful world to explore. Check out a screenshot and see if it will mesh with you. I did think that some elements, especially related to corporate culture, were a little too on the nose to be effective. I also realized I now have an aversion to the Star Fox style of gameplay that was in a few minigames. It was not a long time investment, but I think some of the visuals will stick with me for a while, and I ain't mad about that.

I am so glad that I finally played Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore after being intrigued by it for years. I have also never dipped my foot into the wide world of Atlus OR Fire Emblem. And it was a fun introduction. Framing an RPG in the modern entertainment industry is a fantastic idea - more interesting than either the SMT or Fire Emblem elements on display - and it was mostly executed well, if perhaps a bit thinly. I would love to see more games fuse RPG concepts with modern, real life. I was overall pleased that each character was given a change to grow personally and professionally through their side stories, but did every female character have to crush so hard on the MC? This game cements that I am just not into dungeon crawling and puzzles in the third person perspective. I found some frustration at times, or more accurately, a bit of boredom in most of the dungeon scenarios, which unfortunately cover most of the game. The city is more like window dressing. The combat system was solid but ultimately didn't require much strategy by the time I reached the endgame. Like, there isn't even much of a strategy to the final boss. You just exploit its weakness and do special moves basically. The music, animated cutscenes, and graphics were highlights. I'm cautiously optimistic to try more Atlus games, although I know most of them spend a lot of time in dungeons, so I wonder if they'd be for me or not. All I can say about Fire Emblem is that Tharja was cool. I don't really have much of a desire to explore that world further.

I'd give both of these games a light recommendation, especially if they look interesting to you.

Full 2022 Games Completed List
1. Unavowed (4/5)
2. Lo-fi Ping Pong (3/5)
3. Final Fantasy X (4/5)
4. Magical Drop II (3/5)
5. Stilstand (2.5/5)
6. Phantasy Star IV (5/5)
7. The Last Survey (1.5/5)
8. Balloon Fight (3/5)
9. Gain Ground (3.5/5)
10. Night in the Woods (2/5)
11. Cross the Moon (4/5)
12. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4/5)
13. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (4.5/5)
14. Conduct Together (5/5)
15. About an Elf (4/5)
16. Doom 2016 (5/5)
17. Alien Storm (3/5)
18. Bio-Hazard Battle (3/5)
19. Severed (4/5)
20. Glass Masquerade Origins (2/5)
21. Vampire Night Shift (2/5)
22. Earthbound (5/5)
23. Another Eden: A Cat Beyond Time and Space (3.5/5)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (1.5/5)
25. Disco Elysium : The Final Cut (5/5)
26. Landlord of the Woods (3.5/5)
27. Speed Dating for Ghosts (3/5)
28. Promesa (2/5)
29. Fuzz Dungeon (3.5/5)
30. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (3.5/5)

50. Shadow Warrior 2 [ PC ]

Is kind of like Doom 2016, but if it actually kept its pace going gameplay wise, it doesn't trivialize on some level the shooting of the shooter game by rewarding melee kills more, it also doesn't have melee kill animations, so it more efficiently keeps the fast paced action of the game going without those interruptions. Also the music slaps, those hub tracks are absolutely beautiful, main theme is great and a good motif for a lot of the level ambiance. I feel the looter elements are trivial to a good degree, given the amount of loot you get and generally low percentages of what it actually improves, really don't feel like spending time equipping stop, that aspect feeling trivial does mean it can be ignored and still have a good time playing the game. Didn't play the multiplayer but is pretty cool that it has co-op, side quests were pretty neat and give substantial rewards like new weapons and skills, better than all the loot for sure. Great game overall.

It took me like three years, but I've managed to dust off Steamworld Heist (#24 for the year) and finish it. A solid game but it's definitely more for people on the casual end of strategy game fans. Loved the art style though, rusty but colorful, and the tunes are hard to resist bopping to.

16. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

Well, I've finished the Zero Escape series. Once I got used to the different presentation style of ZTD, I was able to get through the game while staying engaged the entire time. I think one reason I like 999 the most is because it's the most grounded story out of them all; it does have supernatural elements, of course, but VLR and ZTD went full steam ahead with them. With so many of those things in play, I found that there were times in ZTD where I didn't really understand what was happening (the fragmented/non-linear storytelling did not help with this either)

Still, I really enjoyed certain moments that called back to previous games and resolved lingering questions. I generally enjoyed the character interactions as well. As for the gameplay/puzzles, it's basically more of the same, which is fine. It was shorter than VLR, but honestly that was a plus for me. Overall, if you've made it through 999 and VLR, you might as well see it through to the end! I recognize that ZTD did not do as well with the hardcore fans as the previous entries, but I enjoyed it for what it is and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Zero Escape.

Oh, and one other thing I noticed while playing this series... these characters know a lot of random things! They're like "hey have you heard of this obscure theory" and I'm like "....yeah..... uh huh..... sure, if you say so"

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
2) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS)
3) Pokémon: Shining Pearl (NSW)
4) Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
6) Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
9) Kirby Super Star (NSW)
10) Excitebike 64 (Wii U)
11) Nintendo Switch Sports (NSW)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)

16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)

Excellent.

Wave Race is an absolute delight and I'm very glad I was finally able to play it.

74. Meteos (Nintendo DS) [7/10]

One of the early DS games. The manual is pretty essential for this one, the actual game is pretty mad at showing you what's what. The little dudes are cool but they all blend together. The blocks on the screen are a little too small with a little too much wasted space. Ultimately a cute but shallow puzzle game that's notable for when it released.

74. Meteos (Nintendo DS) [7/10]

One of the early DS games. The manual is pretty essential for this one, the actual game is pretty mad at showing you what's what. The little dudes are cool but they all blend together. The blocks on the screen are a little too small with a little too much wasted space. Ultimately a cute but shallow puzzle game that's notable for when it released.
I could never understand how Meteos worked. My friend was mad about it and kept pushing me to try it, but I could never get into the game because I just could not understand what you were supposed to do.

I could never understand how Meteos worked. My friend was mad about it and kept pushing me to try it, but I could never get into the game because I just could not understand what you were supposed to do.
The in game tutorial is super super bad, the instructions give you some clarity but even then it not exactly game changing

It's been a while since I posted in here. OK I haven't beaten any game in months (with the exception of the game I beat while visiting family in the US), so here goes.

16. NHL 22 - I only bothered winning the Stanley Cup in Be A GM mode, this was beaten in like March or April, a while ago for sure.
17. NBA Jam (Sega Genesis) - Beat all 27 teams. Pretty fun game but crazy rubberbanding at times.
18. Evil Dead: The Game - Well... I beat the five single-player missions but this is clearly meant to be a multiplayer game so there's not much to it.

Because of my new job and the commute I've spent much less time gaming since March.

I've lost tracked of the Switch games that I consider myself completed for the year but I have been trying to work through the backlog.

Jan - Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Feb - Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Apr - Disco Elysium
Jun - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Crimson Flower route)
Jul - Kentucky Route Zero
Aug - Doki Doki Literature Club Plus
Aug - Death's Door

Although I've completed the main story for Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, I'm not really including it in this list. Since I fully intend to at least, finish all the quests first! So far, my personal game of the year is probably Disco Elysium or MonHunRise: Sunbreak.

Hoping to finish Eastward and Kirby and the Forgotten Land next!

Hit somewhat of a wall with the reverse championship in Wave Race 64 (plus it's also the least fun) so I'm calling it "done" now. Still an utterly excellent game which shouldn't come as much of a surprise if you've read any of my posts over the last two weeks. Took me a bit to get back into it but now it feels like catching up with an old friend and just a blast to dip in for a few laps every now and then.

The other game I finished was Tomb Raider 2013, another replay. I remember somewhat enjoying it before and not much has changed in that regard. It'a solid if flawed game, comfort food basically. The biggest stinker is the meandering story and the overly dour tone. It feels like they were desperately trying to set it apart from Uncharted and make it "gritty" and it really doesn't work on any level to me. Combat can get somewhat repetitive and the platforming feels very automated (like Uncharted!) but exploring is fun even though you don't do that much in actual tombs. However, it's also made me realize once again that developers need to rethink how they do collectibles in these realistic-looking environments where everything blends together. You simply cannot tell me that we're going to rely on detective vision for all eternity. I refuse to accept it.

1. Dragon Quest V
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Banjo-Kazooie
  4. Myst
  5. The Artful Escape
  6. Kirby Planet Robobot
  7. Death's Door
  8. Star Fox 64 3D
  9. Splatoon
  10. Far: Changing Tides
  11. Monument Valley 2+
  12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  13. The Last Friend
  14. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
  15. Yoku's Island Express
  16. Metroid Dread
  17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  18. Trek to Yomi
  19. Rayman Legends
  20. Cosmic Star Heroine
  21. Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising
  22. Asura's Wrath
  23. Assassin's Creed Origins
  24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
  25. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
  26. Kill It With Fire
  27. Star Wars Squadrons
  28. Portal
  29. House Flipper
  30. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  31. Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery
  32. Tunic
  33. Wave Race 64
  34. Tomb Raider (2013)

20. Dark Souls Remastered. There were moments that definitely felt trying but I beat it. Switch port is not ideal but worked enough for me. Glad I was able to experience this.
21. Grandia 2. (On Switch, based on the Dreamcast version). Story wise, feels a little stronger than Grandia 1 although it took me a while to warm to Ryudo as he was growing to be a better person. Millenia was definitely my favorite character, Jodi Benson did a great job as her English VA. A very enjoyable JRPG.

It's been a while, and we're back with more Poké... Nah, I got Samus Returns for my birthday. I imagine playing out of order going from Dread to this is borderline criminal, but at the moment, I have no regrets. I really should play the older games considering how much I've enjoyed this series.

For now, it is back to Pokémon as I try to beat romhack Renegade Platinum on my... thousandth attempt (only a little exaggerated).

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)

17) Sonic the Hedgehog (iOS)
Played on my iPad Pro with an Xbox Series controller

I'm super happy with this one. Sonic 1 is the first game I ever remember playing, way back as a wee three or four year-old on my dad's Sega Genesis. And now, all these years later, I've finally properly played it all the way to the end! It was mostly an enjoyable experience, except for Scrap Brain Zone Act 3. Three times I made it all the way to the end (without know it was the end of course) only to game over. Then I found the shortcut, but I still game over'd twice after that!

21. Grandia 2. (On Switch, based on the Dreamcast version). Story wise, feels a little stronger than Grandia 1 although it took me a while to warm to Ryudo as he was growing to be a better person. Millenia was definitely my favorite character, Jodi Benson did a great job as her English VA. A very enjoyable JRPG.
22. Alliance Alive HD. One of the tougher RPGs I've beaten. I definitely enjoyed its similarities to SaGa. Got all 3 of the extra playable characters. Final boss is tough.

July ended up going as I expected. All about Xenoblade.

August-
34. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch)- Simply put, I think this will go down as the best new JRPG on the Switch. It improved on everything from XC 2 that I wanted to see improved upon. I rarely revisit games after I completed them, especially JRPGS, but this one is going to stick with me. I can feel it.

35. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)- Not the first time that I have beaten this game, but the first time that I 100% the game. I've said it before but my nostalgia levels for this game go through the roof. Everything from the music to the atmosphere brings tears of joy to my eyes. Something never really realized before was that this could actually be a very quick game, despite the world map not having any shortcuts. Almost all of the levels can be completed in under three minutes so if you know what you are doing, the game can take less than three hours. Classic game all around!

So that is it. I think September is going to be a lot like June where I end up finishing a bunch of smaller games, especially with Turtles coming any day now. I'm well on pace to hit 50 games this year!

playing through we love Katamari for the first time right now 😎
TRANSCENDENT my friend, I hope you're enjoying it!

2. Huntdown
3. Knights of the Round // Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
4. Armored Warriors // Capcom Beat Em Up Collection

5. Elden Ring
Late to the party beating this one but I straight up managed to collect all the legendary arms without using a guide and ended my first character's story at 230 hours, 11/10, as good as FROM has ever been and easily one of the best games I've ever played. As a Souls fan, it's literally all I've main'ed since its release and I've loved every fucking second of its nooks and crannies. Can't wait for DLC, can't wait to just make another character and play completely differently. AMAZING.

elden-rings-beloved-turtle-pope-gets-adorable-cosplay-from-fan-main.webp

20. Death's Door

I had started this awhile back, and forgot why I stopped, but I really enjoyed this one. The characters reminded me a lot of Studio Ghibli, and there was a lot of humor that I appreciated. A nice little adventure that doesn't overstay its welcome by any means. Great soundtrack too.

Tinykin was a very fun and cozy game. Even though it looks like a Pikmin-like, it has more in common with PS2-era mascot platformers with massive levels. It's not too long and you can tell that it was made by a tiny small team but there's a nice variety of the game's Pikmin-equivalent. If they ever make a sequel I hope it has more involved platforming and a higher difficulty.

1. Dragon Quest V
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Banjo-Kazooie
  4. Myst
  5. The Artful Escape
  6. Kirby Planet Robobot
  7. Death's Door
  8. Star Fox 64 3D
  9. Splatoon
  11. Monument Valley 2+
  13. The Last Friend
  16. Metroid Dread
  18. Trek to Yomi
  19. Rayman Legends
  20. Cosmic Star Heroine
  22. Asura's Wrath
  26. Kill It With Fire
  27. Star Wars Squadrons
  28. Portal
  29. House Flipper
  32. Tunic
  33. Wave Race 64
  34. Tomb Raider (2013)
  35. Tinykin

22. Alliance Alive HD. One of the tougher RPGs I've beaten. I definitely enjoyed its similarities to SaGa. Got all 3 of the extra playable characters. Final boss is tough.
23. Earthbound. I had been vaguely interested in this game ever since it came out but never got around to playing it until this year. It's definitely a masterpiece and I can see why it inspired so many games. The music samples used in it are also interesting in their way and the way you beat Giygas definitely was different from most JRPGs. Thank you Itoi, Iwata and the many others who made this game happen.

September 3rd - Mirror's Edge (8/10)

First time I've played it in a whopping 14 years, and I was fearful that maybe age would've filed it down a bit - so I'm happy to say that I was very wrong! There's as much spring and eagerness in Faith's footsteps now as it was when the game debuted as a fresh and unusual title in 2008.

This is a platformer for the ages, to this day a wholly unique game. The distinct movement options, (oh dear god, the wall-running!) the pure sense of flow, the level design, they all come together to form an incredible gameplay experience that engages from first second to last, imbued to the brink with the magical "just one more time"-feeling and an impeccable sense of immersion and physique. The sound design is excellent, with the light thuds of Faith's socks against the sleek surface further contributing to the presence. It also feels genuinely Swedish in a way, with its sleek aesthetic, tense drama and a killer title song by Lisa Miskovsky.

It has a few warts in the form of the awkward shooting implementation, as well as the story being quite surface-level, but dang. What a game.

Games played 2022:

First time:
1. January 3rd - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild randomizer (10/10)
2. January 16th - Tales of Xillia, First time finishing it (8/10)
3. February 3rd - Final Fantasy VIII, First time finishing it (8/10)
4. March 8th - Tales of Arise (8/10)
5. March 12th - Unpacking (8/10)
6. March 31st - Kirby and the Forgotten Land (9/10)
7. May 3rd - OPUS: Echo of Starsong (10/10)
8. May 10th - Piano (Nintendo Labo Variety Kit) (10/10)
9. June 26th - AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative (10/10)
10. July 18th - Portal (9/10)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (10/10)

Replays:
1. January 6th - NieR: Automata, Ending E (10/10)
2. January 8th - NieR: Replicant, Ending A (8.5/10)
3. January 22nd - Xenoblade Chronicles X (9.5/10)
4. January 29th - Final Fantasy IX (10/10)
5. February 6th - Final Fantasy VII (9/10)
6. March 22nd - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (10/10)
7. March 26th - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (10/10)
8. April 17th - 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Switch port) (10/10)
9. May 17th - Super Mario World (NSO) (10/10)
10. May 20th - The Legend of Zelda (NSO) (10/10)
11. September 3rd - Mirror's Edge (8/10)

And that's Rise of the Tomb Raider done. Coming from TR2013 it's a bit of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back affair. In terms of design, most of it is improved: The game gives you more tools making for more freeform combat, level design is more complex and varied, puzzles are more interesting. There's genuinely hints of greatness in here and in many ways it feels like this was the game they meant to make - which sadly isn't only a positive thing. The "survival" and scavenging stuff is terribly overdone and just like the previous game it relies entirely too much on detective vision design to make you look for small shit. It just drags the entire experience down when you pretty R3 every few steps out of fear that you might miss something. I won't even go into the story and Lara's characterization. I previously started it and must have made it only about 60-70% through before abandoning it in the geothermal valley, glad I finally finished it even though I have some major issues with it.

1. Dragon Quest V
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Banjo-Kazooie
  4. Myst
  5. The Artful Escape
  6. Kirby Planet Robobot
  7. Death's Door
  8. Star Fox 64 3D
  9. Splatoon
  11. Monument Valley 2+
  13. The Last Friend
  16. Metroid Dread
  18. Trek to Yomi
  19. Rayman Legends
  20. Cosmic Star Heroine
  22. Asura's Wrath
  26. Kill It With Fire
  27. Star Wars Squadrons
  28. Portal
  29. House Flipper
  32. Tunic
  33. Wave Race 64
  34. Tomb Raider (2013)
  35. Tinykin
  36. Rise of the Tomb Raider

21. Slay the Spire

I'm counting this because I got back into it, and finally beat the Act IV boss. This game is honestly endlessly enjoyable and highly recommended. I hadn't played it in almost 2 years, and it's still as fun as it was when I first started it.

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)

18) Portal 2 (NSW)
I can't believe this is the first time I've played Portal 2! The original Portal is one of my favorite games of all time, but the sequel came out at a time when I had drifted away from video games. Turns out Portal 2 is just the first game, except more. More puzzles, more puzzle elements, more characters, more story, more ...padding. The core gameplay is as brilliant as ever, but I can't help but feel like things are dragged out here way longer than they need to be. Especially in the game's second half, which while being really cool aesthetically and story-wise, could use some trimming. It's enough that I don't really see myself coming back to this game. Portal 1 is endlessly replayable, and I'm not sure that's true for Portal 2.

The story and characters are great at least. I loved Wheatley. Glados is a brilliant character. It was fun hearing JK Simmons, although he might be a little too recognizable an actor for a role like this.

All this to say, I liked the game a lot. Just not as much as Portal 1.

10) Cult of the Lamb. I loved it...the dungeon crawling is not too difficult, the AC aspect was fun. I'm thankful for it's length (14-18 hours). Throughly enjoyable and definitely recommend.

1) F1 2021 (PS5)
5) Banjo-Kazooie (NSW)
7) Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
8) Dirt 5 (PS5)
12) Card Shark (NSW)
13) Elec Head (NSW)
14) Portal (NSW)
15) Beat Saber (Quest 2)
16) Wave Race 64 (NSW)

18) Portal 2 (NSW)
I can't believe this is the first time I've played Portal 2! The original Portal is one of my favorite games of all time, but the sequel came out at a time when I had drifted away from video games. Turns out Portal 2 is just the first game, except more. More puzzles, more puzzle elements, more characters, more story, more ...padding. The core gameplay is as brilliant as ever, but I can't help but feel like things are dragged out here way longer than they need to be. Especially in the game's second half, which while being really cool aesthetically and story-wise, could use some trimming. It's enough that I don't really see myself coming back to this game. Portal 1 is endlessly replayable, and I'm not sure that's true for Portal 2.

The story and characters are great at least. I loved Wheatley. Glados is a brilliant character. It was fun hearing JK Simmons, although he might be a little too recognizable an actor for a role like this.

Gotta agree with everything you’ve said here. I also loved Portal 2, but it definitely lose a bit of shine and surprise (unfortunately a reality with many sequels). I still do respect that it built on the original, and while it’s not as fat-free, it’s still very much worth a playthrough.

While I beat Gunvolt 3 story a few weeks ago, I decided to tackle very hard mode and after 1 grueling week I finally managed to beat the final boss!. Gotta say they really went beyond IX2 final boss with the patterns, mainly the boss special attack which requires you to be on the air for all of it's duration. Feels good.

1. Atelier Sophie
2. Dragon Quest 2
3. Castlevania
4. Cogen
5. Luminous Avenger IX 2
6. RCG Zero
7. Infernax
8. Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden
9. Atelier Sophie 2
10. Grapple Dog
11. Kirby and the Forgotten land
12. Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga
13. Castlevania AoS
14. Kirby's Dreamland
15. Stanley Parable Deluxe
16. Chrono Cross
17. Tasomachi
18. Seven Pirates H
19. Touken Ranbu Warriors
20. Resident Evil 4
21. TMT SR
22. Overlord
23. FEWTH
24. Hunter X
25. Gunvolt 3
26. Xenoblade 3

23. Earthbound. I had been vaguely interested in this game ever since it came out but never got around to playing it until this year. It's definitely a masterpiece and I can see why it inspired so many games. The music samples used in it are also interesting in their way and the way you beat Giygas definitely was different from most JRPGs. Thank you Itoi, Iwata and the many others who made this game happen.
24. Grandia 1. I really hadn't heard of this series before I bought the Grandia HD Collection. While I like 2's story a bit more, 1 plays really well, and it manages to be a good RPG that was two discs back in those PS1 days. The voice acting is 1 is sometimes funny, 2 definitely had the better voice acting. Glad I played these, would be great if the Lunar games were made available in the West again.

I think this is probably coming from your almost back-to-back nature of experience, all I can say is at the time of release we couldn't BELIEVE we were getting that much more Portal to play with, after living on only the first game for so long.

I hear you though- the precise nature of the first one is so much stronger than all the blathering and non-experiment stuff in Portal 2, but Portal 2 just has so much MORE to play with! Truly a double edged sword.

Last edited:
2. Huntdown
3. Knights of the Round // Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
4. Armored Warriors // Capcom Beat Em Up Collection
5. Elden Ring

6. TMNT Turtles in Time (US SNES) from the Cowabunga Collection

tumblr_mt1ob3ycTy1shw0vko1_500.gif

A go-to jam for many years that is receiving a breath of fresh air and new players thanks to the collection- thanks, it's all I've ever wanted! Never really dropped this from rotation, but it feels great to have it back, basking in the sewer-lamp-light. 10/10

7. TMNT Hyperstone Heist (US GENESIS) from the Cowabunga Collection
First time playing this it was an absolute trip, the details and differences are so vast we felt completely natural playing this directly after Turtles in Time- and as someone who always had a Genesis but not this game, I couldn't get enough, literally left us howling with laughter and delight. 9.5/10, could use that SNES dash move tho 😭

20. Dark Souls Remastered. There were moments that definitely felt trying but I beat it. Switch port is not ideal but worked enough for me. Glad I was able to experience this.
On the contrary, the Switch port is one of the most ideal ways to play if you're a console-only player, and I'm glad you experienced it too! Did you access the entirely obscure DLC area with Artorias? Or the other entirely obscure area, the Ashen Lake?

On the contrary, the Switch port is one of the most ideal ways to play if you're a console-only player, and I'm glad you experienced it too! Did you access the entirely obscure DLC area with Artorias? Or the other entirely obscure area, the Ashen Lake?

Yes, I did access the Artorias DLC area. It was very lategame when I finally beat Artorias. I managed to beat Manuas. Ash Lake I did see.

Forgot this thread was here! Nice to know.

1) Pokemon Legends Arceus
2) Elden Ring
3) Kirby and the Forgotten Land
4) Picross S7
5) Portal
6) Kid Icarus Uprising
7) Super Mario Odyssey
8) The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (+Champion's Ballad) on Master Mode
9) Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

One day Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will be on this list.

76. OutRun 2 SP (XBOX) [9/10]

More OutRun 2! But not as good as before. Having more levels and more wacky challenges for young girlfriend mode is cool, but there are a few missteps. The game looks worse visually despite being a sequel on the same hardware, the passing sound effects can be distracting, and I swear it's much much much easier with some head on crashes only dropping speed by 10mph and tailing helping you quickly get above where you were before. I do like the feeling of getting a good tail boost though, and at the end of the day more OutRun 2 is very good.

77. We Love Katamari (PS2) [9.5/10]

More like We Love KataMarny

78. The King of Dragons (Arcade) [8/10]

Played as part of the Capcom Arcade Stadium 2. One of the best 2D best-em ups I've played. Strong character and enemy designs, great sound effects, just the right length and pacing. Action is perfect two with parties being satisfying to pull off and nothing annoying and over-complicated. Would love for these guys to show up again, preferably the Templar.

Last edited:
1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land | NSW | 8
2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus | NSW | 8.5
3. Peggle | XSS | 7.5
4. Peggle 2 | XSS | 5
5. Katamari Damacy Reroll | XSS | 7

6. It Takes Two | XSS | 9

Been playing through this with a friend over the summer/autumn in several sessions and we finally finished it after a cup of coffee tonight. The accolades speak for themselves. The art style is beautiful. The gameplay is varied, simple but fun, and never overstays its welcome. For almost each new mechanic, the amount of puzzles feels right - and when it doesn’t, you usually want one or two more. What’s keeping this from a 9.5 or a 10? Well, the writing is very milquetoast imho. It does what it needs to do but feels cliche and sometimes forced in a Hollywood feel-good movie way. Occasional giggle but only one scene that kind of sits with me, and not in a good way. But I can live with that, now that my friend and I have finally mended our marriage problems.

79. Sin and Punishment (N64) [8/10]
Played through my beloved NSO. Hard to rate this one. It feels unfinished and I hate Saki's design, but it is short and feels like the kind of game that gets better the more you play. Definitely one of the few good Treasure games.

31. Chrono Trigger (Mobile)

When you press the icon to load Chrono Trigger on your phone, a black screen appears. Give it time, and nothing changes.

The mobile version of this classic RPG comes with an extra puzzle right at the beginning. If you can solve this riddle, you unlock access to one of the best RPGs ever made.

Swipe on your phone as if you are about to close it, then bring it back to fullscreen. This will perform a “reset” on the game, and you’ll get to the title screen. I had to do this every time I opened the app.

This may be a minority opinion, but I don’t think Chrono Trigger needs a Switch port.

Besides this ridiculous bug, I more or less enjoyed the mobile version. The smaller screen keeps you from focusing negatively on the older graphics. The extra cutscenes from the DS version are included, and the mobile controls mostly carry over, giving it another connection to its spiritual sequel Another Eden. It is a handheld experience that you can conveniently jump in and out of, which compliments its adventurous and perfectly paced story. I’m also glad that I can jump right back in for a new game plus whenever’s convenient without even having to think about a console.

As for the game itself, it’s awesome. It is innovative and influential in so many ways, from the combat system to the characters and story to the music and multiple endings. Here’s one example of how you can make the story your own:

The player is given agency on whether to kill Magus or let him join your party. I let him join, but I never put him and Frog in the same party. They had some serious bad blood. Then, during Frog’s sidequest, where he’s cleaning out the ruins and making peace with Cyrus’s ghost, I decided that Magus would offer to lend help at that moment. And from then on, they would begin to trust each other as teammates with a common goal.

The song “Corridors of Time” and the reveal of another unexpected time period was my favorite moment. And shout out to the Nu. Best creature design. I’m so glad to have finally played Chrono Trigger. Not sure what else to say, but I’m down to talk about this game any time!

Full 2022 Games Completed List

1. Unavowed (4/5)
2. Lo-fi Ping Pong (3/5)
3. Final Fantasy X (4/5)
4. Magical Drop II (3/5)
5. Stilstand (2.5/5)
6. Phantasy Star IV (5/5)
7. The Last Survey (1.5/5)
8. Balloon Fight (3/5)
9. Gain Ground (3.5/5)
10. Night in the Woods (2/5)
11. Cross the Moon (4/5)
12. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4/5)
13. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (4.5/5)
14. Conduct Together (5/5)
15. About an Elf (4/5)
16. Doom 2016 (5/5)
17. Alien Storm (3/5)
18. Bio-Hazard Battle (3/5)
19. Severed (4/5)
20. Glass Masquerade Origins (2/5)
21. Vampire Night Shift (2/5)
22. Earthbound (5/5)
23. Another Eden: A Cat Beyond Time and Space (3.5/5)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (1.5/5)
25. Disco Elysium : The Final Cut (5/5)
26. Landlord of the Woods (3.5/5)
27. Speed Dating for Ghosts (3/5)
28. Promesa (2/5)
29. Fuzz Dungeon (3.5/5)
30. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (3.5/5)
31. Chrono Trigger (5/5)

1. Apex Legends Season 11 Battle Pass (PC) - January 27th
2. Vampire Survivors ver. 0.4.2 (PC) - April 11th, 21 hours
3. Apex Legends Season 12 Battle Pass (PC) - May I don't even remember the day.
4. Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 2 Battle Pass (PC) - May 27th
5. God of War 2018 (PC) - June 11th, 18 h
6. TMNT Shredder's Revenge (PC) - June 25th, 2 hours
7. Powerwash Simulator (PC) - July 27th, 33 hours
8. Two Point Hospital (PC) - August 23rd, 58 hours.
9. Hades (PC) - September 3rd, 29 hours.
10. Rollerdrome (PC) - September 7th, 5 hours
11. Fashion Police Squad (PC) - September 10th, 5 hours
12. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (2022) (PC) - October 27th, 9 hours
13. Uncharted 4 (PS5) - November 18th, 12 hours.
14. Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS5) - November 22th, 8 hours
15. Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - December 1st, dunno how long.
16. Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS5) - December 12th, 33 hours.
17. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion (PC) - December 18th, 16 hours.

Previously:
01 — New Pokémon Snap (8.0)
02 — OlliOlli World (6.5)
03 — McPixel (8.0)
04 — Nintendo Switch Sports (6.0)
05 — Diablo Immortal (4.0)
06 — Air Twister (6.5)
07 — The Quarry (7.0)
08 — Hotline Miami Collection (8.5)
09 — Mass Effect Legendary Edition (7.5)
10 — Bayonetta (8.0)
11 — Bayonetta 2 (9.0)

12 — The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (8.0)
One of my favourites in the series, now! This two-pack is full of great cases, like a pawn shop mystery that ends up having international implications. The cast is also near-uniformly great; the perpetually chip-munching Scotland Yard detective was a favourite, and the legally distinct sleuth Herlock Sholmes is a total scene-stealer. Some cases go on too long, some twists are murky in their logic, and too many characters are re-used case to case; all the usual AA nitpicks are present here. Lots of litigating packed into this package.

13 — Dragon Quest XI S (10)
One of the best games I’ve played, no doubt. This is the third time I have played through this extremely long, extremely accomplished game, and I love it more each time. It’s almost hard to write about in that if you love JRPGs, DQXI S has limitless love to give you.

14 — Hades (10)
I really enjoyed Hades the first time around — I think I would have given it an 8.5 or so, then. But I also settled into habits early on that first go around, picking a preferred weapon and loadout direction early and just sort of hammering that home until I escaped twice, back to back, and put it down. This time I really wanted to luxuriate in the dank atmosphere and sheer possibility of this game. I made a point to pick boons and upgrades I hadn’t yet; I would choose whichever weapon had the experience boost on it; I sat in the hub for like an hour reading the codex, something I literally never do when I play a game. It went from a great game to an all-timer in my eyes.

Now Playing
Still hitting up that Hades

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom