• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The 2000s tween boom - why "tween" makes no sense as a demographic

MagiCarbo

Bob-omb
The mid to late 2000s was the peak of what was considered "tween" media. That is, movies and tv shows for an audience between children and teenagers that was "too old for toys, too young for boys". The Disney Channel was a forerunner in this demographic with smash hits like Hannah Montana, High School Musical, Camp Rock, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Wizards of Waverly Place, That's So Raven, Kim Possible, and many more. Nickelodeon also had its hits with iCarly, Zoey 101, Drake & Josh. These shows combine goofy sitcom antics and childish gags, with hip teenage characters and pop music to make the largely female child audience think they're watching something aimed at teenagers.

I've recently revisited some of these shows (partly out of nostalgia), and upon more and more research from this general time period of pop culture, it dawned on me that "tweens" as a tangible demographic, makes no logical sense. The general age range of what is considered "tweens" has changed over the years and varies from person to person, but the most common age groups cited are "8 to 12", "10 to 12", or "9 to 13", some go as low as 7 year olds.

The fact that people can't agree on a specific age group for this concept shows how flawed it is at its core. That's not to say the idea didn't start out with good intentions. When Disney Channel first coined the term in the late 90s, it was mainly to appeal to a niche of kids in middle school who wanted a more family-friendly alternative to edgier channels like MTV, which were starting to become popular at that age, but not all kids felt comfortable with just yet. But then that strategy became too successful, and suddenly marketeers and toy companies used it as an excuse to try and sell parent-friendly teen-esque lifestyles to 9 year olds.

So middle schoolers feel like the most accurate description for what the concept of "tween" would entail (in between childhood and teenhood). But here's the thing, Middle school in the US is generally aged 11 to 13, or 10 to 14 depending on your birthday. That's quite a bit older and more narrow than the age groups that are usually cited when referring to tweens. On top of that, middle school has always been a notoriously tricky age group when discussing what exactly is "appropriate" for that age, due to just how shattered kids are at that age (both psychologically and physically) thanks to puberty. If you look at any middle school, in any grade, you see a bunch of kids already dating, sneaking drugs, and talking about adult topics, and then you also have a bunch of kids who still play with Hot Wheels and Rolblox, or still believe in cooties, and then a bunch of kids who don't fit in on eitther extreme. It's a giant melting pot, and perhaps the hardest age group to find one size-fits all stuff for compared to younger children or teenagers.

But I think the ultimate problem with "tween" media during this time, was that it never was a true middle ground between content for kids, and content for teenagers. There's a really good video on YouTube discussing this problem comparing a tween show to a teen show, and how drastic the difference in tone and content is. Where you can instantly go from squeaky-clean kidcoms, to raunchy, brooding dramas filled with tons of sex, drugs, and violence.

Basically, the question boils down to, why was there never any middle ground between "iCarly" and "Gossip Girl"? To me, the closest has always been anime. Anime fandom in my view at least, often peaks during middle school because it's often that middle ground between "kids shows" and "teen shows" that you don't find much of in American-made pop culture, particularly with Shonen and Shojo. Something like One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, or newer stuff like My Hero Academia were a nice combination of colorful worlds, humor, and sense of adventure and optimism found in children's shows, with still having more mature themes and content that kids in middle school start to crave, while also not going too far in themes in content that parents of a 12 or 13 year old would worry about.

Point is, I feel like there has always been kid of a lack of a between "Kids stuff" and "Teens stuff" in media, and that "tween" over time, just started becoming an excuse to let 8 year old girls pretend they're teenagers.

MagiCarbo said:
"tween" over time just started becoming an excuse to let 8 year old girls pretend they're teenagers
I think you've hit it right here.

I was never super into these shows at the time, even though I was the right age in the mid-2000s. But I was a boy, so maybe that had something to do with it. I was more interested in Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and DBZ than whether I was a teenager or not.

Fun fact: the term "tween" is generally attributed to J.R.R. Tolkien, though in this Fourth Age of the world we don't tend to use the term in reference to hobbits, which has muddled the meanings a bit.

At that time Frodo was still in his tweens, as the hobbits called the irresponsible twenties between childhood and coming of age at thirty-three.

It appears to refer to that stage of life wherein one is on the cusp of responsible adulthood and from which irresponsible times many never truly grow.

I believe that kid networks during the 00s made an attempt to make 'tween' cartoons. Invader Zim, for example, was in Nickelodeon's anime block in my country, and that show for sure cultivated a strong audience in the middle schooler demo. In some way Invader Zim is a small peek into a lost future where networks successfully carved a niche of cartoons for edgy middle schoolers.

The Last Airbender, Code Lyoko, Martin Mystery, Totally Spies!, Danny Phantom, even Phineas and Ferb are examples of western tv animation that was still apt for children, but was advertised toward 10-15 kids.

I think that at some point kids networks realized that middle schoolers and even high schoolers would enjoy family friendly shows as long as they are good. This is anecdotal, but most of my classmates really liked a lot of the 'renaissance' Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, etc. plus Gravity Falls.

Just like shonen media derived from kid franchises like Dragon Ball, I believe that an hypothetical tween niche in the west has more chance of being built by the talent who are making kid cartoons today, rather than the people who work on teen / adult shows. The problem is that western TV animation is in a tight spot right now, and I really doubt that algorithm-crazy executives are going to greenlight something that doesn't fall into an already existing niche.

Last edited:
I believe that kid networks during the 00s made an attempt to make 'tween' cartoons. Invader Zim, for example, was in Nickelodeon's anime block in my country, and that show for sure cultivated a strong audience in the middle schooler demo. In some way Invader Zim is a small peek into a lost future where networks successfully carved a niche of cartoons for edgy middle schoolers.
I do agree that this was a common thing in the early 2000s of Nick, Disney, and CN trying to keep kids watching through middle school, even as more young adult/teen type content like MTV, Comedy Central, and FOX started to enter their viewing rotation. Disney Channel had its Zoog Disney block, Nickelodeon had its early TEENick shows like As Told by Ginger and Invader Zim. And Cartoon Network had Toonami on weekdays.

Funny you mentioned Invader Zim. In the US, that show was originally being developed for an un-released animation block for an older audience. But by the time the show actually premiered, plans for that block fell through, leaving the show in an awkward space on the lineup.

The Last Airbender, Code Lyoko, Martin Mystery, Totally Spies!, Danny Phantom, even Phineas and Ferb are examples of western tv animation that was still apt for children, but was advertised toward 10-15 kids.

I think that at some point kids networks realized that middle schoolers and even high schoolers would enjoy family friendly shows as long as they are good. This is anecdotal, but most of my classmates really liked a lot of the 'renaissance' Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, etc. plus Gravity Falls.
I think during this time, the big three were trying to create cartoons that could appeal to older kids, in addition to the main 6-11 year old target like you said. But it didn't really feel like they were trying to keep kids from outgrowing them by this point either. Like you can compare the early Zoog-era Disney Channel programing, to what Disney Channel was airing by 2008 to compare. The Zoog shows were a bit darker, more grounded, and had a bit more mature themes, but were still very family friendly. A stark contrast to Disney Channel's later programing which mostly devolved into Denser and Wackier sitcoms about kids in over-the-top scenarios aimed at a younger audience.

This is why I think "tween" as a demographic concept is inherently flawed, because whatever it became by the late 2000s, wasn't what it was actually intended to be during the early 2000s. I think the internet took most of the actual "tweens", especially as services like YouTube started to take off during this time.

I think a lot of western made media that targets this demographic usually ends up more popular with a younger crowd that wants to feel older. I agree that Shonen anime is probably the best media at targeting the middle school demographic, though more often than not I see middle schoolers just getting into stuff meant for teenagers.

I think a lot of western made media that targets this demographic usually ends up more popular with a younger crowd that wants to feel older.
I feel like that's what "tween" eventually devolved into during the late 2000s early 2010s, 9-10 year old girls who want to make believe they're teenagers.

I agree that Shonen anime is probably the best media at targeting the middle school demographic, though more often than not I see middle schoolers just getting into stuff meant for teenagers.
It depends on the kids as well. For as tryhard edgy as it can be, Middle school as I said, is a vast melting pot of maturity because of just how many changes kids go through during that time. Some kids are watching raunchy adult cartoons and broody teen shows, some are contempt with kids shows. Some kids are staying out till 9 p.m. getting into shenanigans, while some mostly stay at home or with their parents. And then there's a bunch of kids who choose a life in between those two extremes.

11-13 has always been a grey area group simply because of just how complex and wide it is in terms of maturity.

Back
Top Bottom