• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro That Y2K artstyle...

Yzz

Like Like
Pronouns
She/Her
With Dokapon Kingdom being remastered and people starting to talk about the Dokapon series, it came to my attention the GBA entry which had a somewhat familiar artstyle...

s-l500.jpg

Most of us are probably reminded of the Sonic redesigns in Sonic Adventure, which don't need an introduction. However Sonic and Dokapon weren't the only series adopting this style as some of you might be familiarized with other Sonic Team games like Billy Hatcher and Puyo Pop Fever:

813g7YhuMKL.jpg

SLPM-65532-F-ALL.jpg

Around the same time, it seems that other developers were 'modernizing' their legacy franchises with this iconic artstyle, like ADK with Twinkle Star Sprites:

maxresdefault.jpg

Some modern indie games have replicated this style successfully, most notably CROSSNIQ+:

NSwitchDS_Crossniq_06.jpg

So, what other games adopted this style back in the day? What games, recent or old, give you similar vibes to the ones above?

(I know this a thread about the Y2K, but please, don't ever remind of THAT game, you know which one I'm talking about)

Last edited:
(I know this a thread about the Y2K, but please, don't ever remind of THAT game, you know which one I'm talking about)
Okay, I won't, but that's literally what I thought the thread was going to be about when I clicked on it.

Mr. Driller DrillLand is a good example of this.

Ah yes, the modern epic of YIIK, a thread to celebrate the elaborate inner workings of Alex, and his-
Oh, the style?
Easy out is Jet Set Radio, as it's also done by sega, but I'm going a weird one.
Ultimate Block Party.
ultimate_block_party__psp__art_from_tgs_version_by_maksa4895_dej6y7t-fullview.jpg

With Dokapon Kingdom being remastered and people starting to talk about the Dokapon series, it came to my attention the GBA entry which had a somewhat familiar artstyle...

s-l500.jpg

Most of us are probably reminded of the Sonic redesigns in Sonic Adventure, which don't need an introduction. However Sonic and Dokapon weren't the only series adopting this style as some of you might be familiarized with other Sonic Team games like Billy Hatcher and Puyo Pop Fever:

813g7YhuMKL.jpg

SLPM-65532-F-ALL.jpg

Around the same time, it seems that other developers were 'modernizing' their legacy franchises with this iconic artstyle, like ADK with Twinkle Star Sprites:

maxresdefault.jpg

Some modern indie games have replicated this style successfully, most notably CROSSNIQ+:

NSwitchDS_Crossniq_06.jpg

So, what other games adopted this style back in the day? What games, recent or old, give you similar vibes to the ones above?

I feel like Sonic Adventure and the covers for those games really fit this style. As a kid it was super attractive to me.

I never thought of that game.. I always thought it was pronounced like "Yeek" anyways - which is actually a pretty apt one-work review of the game, imo

What really got me with Puyo Puyo is how this is practically the art style for the series going forward, instead of returning to the old ways. Which is a very good move, I must say! That's because I felt the original Compile art style felt way too derivative of the common anime, so by going for a colourful direction, it made the series stand out very well from its contemporaries.

puyo-puyo-chronicle-640x360.jpg

There's another puzzle game called Super Puzzle Bobble, which also introduced a new cast of characters for the Puzzle Bobble with a similar style of pop art...
61YR1821SFL.jpg

...which is on par with the series since they like to introduce a new cast of characters and then forget about them when a future game would be released. I wonder if the newest Puzzle Bobble characters will also be promptly discarded for another new set of characters.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom