• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Tetris - Official Trailer

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him

This looks…great! For those unaware, Tetris has a wild story and the Cold War spy drama esque tone of this trailer isn’t too far from the truth. I may need to actually look into Apple TV for this.

If anyone hasn’t checked out The Gaming Historian’s video on Tetris, it will give you the story in a more documentary style:

Gonna watch this movie for Yamauchi only

GOD someone should make a Yamauchi biopic
My personal dream is for a prestige TV-drama that acts as a Yamauchi biopic to tell the story of Nintendo. Even better if the entire 1st season only focuses on the period 1948-1964. Plenty of interesting stories to tell without even mentioning video games, Miyamoto or Space invaders.

I screamed when that Nintendo employee said "I’ve come to talk to you about the Game Boy Initiative"
I feel like Yamauchi’s “I‘ve come to talk to you“ moment would be him calling Iwata and saying “make a handheld with two screens” and then hanging up.

I'm sure none of that happened but hey
It's a dramatization, but most the legal shenanigans and conflict of interests did actually happen;

Tetris is one the most interesting stories in the industry and I am glad the movie, despite the creative liberties, is giving the attention it deserves;

Is that Yamauchi?!
The actors doing Yamauchi and Minoru Arakawa are pitch perfect, holy moly!

I HATE when they change the plot of the games and characters so much in the adaptation. Watched the trailer and I saw nothing that even remotely resembles the videogame. Hard pass.

sigh** will at least no Marky Mark

Honestly excited for this.

Also please watch The Gaming Historian's video. It's so good.

finally watched this, and it turns out my comparision to the infamous Duke Nukem Forever "chair story" in the other thread was completely right on the money.
the fact they seriously created a scene where Howard, Henk, Minoru, and Alexey go on a daring escape from the KGB while "holding out for a hero" plays is probably one of the funniest moments in cinematic history.
i honestly think it would have been far better if they openly embraced it as a parody that clearly didn't happen similar to the Weird Al "biopic". because it makes some of the absurd errors (the constant shifting between the various Tetris ports like they're all the same, giving Howard Lincoln multiple F-bombs in contrast to his kinder persona in the "Howard & Nester" comics, describing "Zelda & Link" while showing 2 Links taken from four swords.) function like comedic beats rather than an obvious mistake.

on the other hand, there's a few details i was genuinely surprised they recognized and correctly brought up. like SEGA getting the Japanese arcade rights (which really deserves it own movie, their version was highly influtential in that region.) and Nintendo having a harsh dislike of Atari for failing to initally bring the Famicom over and eventually unofficially making NES cartridges, though only the latter is shown in the film.
even the seemingly absurd moment of Mirrorsoft's owner directly visiting Mikhail Gorbachev in-person actually happened, though the conversation probably didn't devolve into Gorby sadly acknowledging the impending fall (which probably wasn't caused by Tetris, even if the movie implies that a bit.) of the USSR and refusing to help because of that.

Just watched it. Found it very entertaining and if Apple ever releases it on DVD/Blu-Ray I want it, but I really can't recommend The Gaming Historian's video enough if you're at all curious about the real story.

Can we have a clip of Taron Egerton/Henk Rogers from the film saying "Nintendo is license to print money"?

I at long last watched this tonight.

It was awesome! A tad confusing to keep track of all the business deals backwards and forwards, with this being an incredibly complex story across multiple companies and deals etc, but the subject matter is extremely interesting, what with all the intersections between video game rights and political intrigue, and I really love how Henk and the actor that plays him really carries forward how his passion for Tetris really is a blessing and a curse that drives the story, and his relation to Aleksej was really endearing.

A recommended watch for sure.

Back
Top Bottom