• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Tactics Ogre: Reborn |ST| Valerian Rhapsody [NSW|PS|PC]

I've barely scratched the surface of the first stronghold and I'm already giddy with excitement about this game.

To think we're getting this and Triangle Strategy within the same year... and Sparks of Hope, and Fire Emblem Engage... happy

I've barely scratched the surface of the first stronghold and I'm already giddy with excitement about this game.

To think we're getting this and Triangle Strategy within the same year... and Sparks of Hope, and Fire Emblem Engage... happy
Really crazy when you think about it. The genre was in a bit of a lull phase recently, but things have gotten a lot better, and I am absolutely here for it!

Great Fat Bottomed OP @MissingNo. !

I plan on getting this probably in the near future. I loved OB, never played the PS1 version of this, and own the PSP one but sadly never started it. But I love the style and the OST so that’s something right?

(I did play and beat FFT fwiw)

Also I would be over the moon if SE announced a remaster of the original Ogre Battle. I had hoped that would happen since DioField is sort of dabbling in that space and it remains a unique RPG to this day.

And Front Mission!

Great Fat Bottomed OP @MissingNo. !

I plan on getting this probably in the near future. I loved OB, never played the PS1 version of this, and own the PSP one but sadly never started it. But I love the style and the OST so that’s something right?

Also I would be over the moon if SE announced a remaster of the original Ogre Battle. I had hoped that would happen since DioField is sort of dabbling in that space and it remains a unique RPG to this day.

And Front Mission!
Oh god yeah, totally forgot about Front Mission, excited for that too!

You are in for such a treat. 🤩

Especially if you still remember your favorite units from Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, like the Eagle-man Canopus
... And lo and behold here they are in Tactics Ogre on whatever secret mission following the events of that game.

And voiced now to boot! (Whether that's a plus or minus 😅)

You are in for such a treat. 🤩

Especially if you still remember your favorite units from Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, like the Eagle-man Canopus
... And lo and behold here they are in Tactics Ogre on whatever secret mission following the events of that game.

And voiced now to boot! (Whether that's a plus or minus 😅)
Yeah Canopus is a highlight here, I love his interactions with the party

Just want to say I am really happy to see all the love and excitement for TO and OBS as a whole in this thread. I didn't really manage to play a lot over the weekend so far (obligations be damned), but the next couple of days are on the slower side for me, so I should be able to make up for that.

Keep on vibing, Tactics Fami!

FYI, you can use a mouse on the Switch version and it's easily my preferred method of controlling this game. Obviously not really an option for portable play (or even docked depending on your setup).

Is it true that the defular Group name is "blocked" when trying to use it?

Regardless, I hate to admit that it wasn't until recently where I found out Ogre Battle 64 is a far different game from Tactics Ogre (It's not even a Tactics RPG from the look of things lol).
It’s something closer to an RTS, yeah, as was the original Ogre Battle on SNES/SFC, with the more elaborate gameplay systems that entails, even if the fights are CPU-vs-CPU and you only control unit formation in the fights.

Both are great in their unique ways.

I honestly can't remember if I was able to recruit him in OB or not. I remember Nintendo Power had the criteria for it detailed, but I seem to recall it not triggering for me or I was being a dumb kid and doing something wrong? Other dumb kid things I did was getting stuck on maps for several hours at a time because I wasn't playing aggressively enough and only killing leader units so the AI just entered into a war of attrition that was more a stalemate or something. I never did beat the game because I couldn't progress past whatever map I stalled out hard on because of that.

Still one of the games I'd love to revisit now that I have more of a clue about this type of game.

FYI, you can use a mouse on the Switch version and it's easily my preferred method of controlling this game. Obviously not really an option for portable play (or even docked depending on your setup).
Coffee Potato, a Youtuber/TO Expert/Unofficial Hypeman, is apparently playing with a mouse + single-joycon combo 😆

Its really cool that they paid so much attention to details. The whole Reborn package, in aggregate with these tweaks and enhancements both large and small is shaping up to be such a knockout.

Not sure if this was always a Thing, but I am getting a kick out of how even Rando Map-Boss gets voice lines and a whole fleshed out backstory accessible in the Warren Report. And then those detailed, basically obituaries, just have the generic class art 😂

Anyways the HD-rumble, seriously, feels cool. I don't know why its this game that I notice it as much as I am.

===

Just beat the necromancer in Quadriga Castle. Stout job on his voiceover (y)

Was expecting to lose that one due to the enemies superior positioning but somehow pulled thru on first try with only one incapacitation.
I'm still wrapping my head around the weapon/skill system, classes, and when its prudent to change classes.

Vyce is a lot more insufferable than remember him! 😒

Bought this on release day, but haven't really dug in due to the Splatfest. Fired up the game last night and the amount of care that went into this is evident from the start. It's so great to see the Ogre Battle series shine once more.
2 years ago is nothing, really. So with that in mind...

RED ALERT! BUY THIS GAME IF YOU WANT MORE OGRE GAMES, THIS IS NOT A DRILL, PEOPLE!!!
My headcanon is that Matsuno and the team behind this game saw the recent resurgence of IP such as SaGa and Mana as well as Yoko Taro and Team Asano being allowed to do their own projects and decided to strike while the iron is hot.

I'm actually really, really loving this game. I immediately fell in love with this game and have been trying to cram in some play time whenever I can. I love that you can change classes, and I love how snappy it is too.

My headcanon is that Matsuno and the team behind this game saw the recent resurgence of IP such as SaGa and Mana as well as Yoko Taro and Team Asano being allowed to do their own projects and decided to strike while the iron is hot.
I feel even more bullish than that 😀

Matsuno now his own company, Algebra Factory, that (largely Square-Enix) contracts for scenario and design work.

So that means that Reborn was largely a Square-Enix internal initiative signalling they sense some real potential in bringing back the ip. Such that they went ahead and contracted Matsuno's company while granting an honest-to-goodness healthy budget for such a project.

A budget well above and beyond (voice acting, orchestrated soundtrack, full rebalance of gameplay) the majority of their remaster products.

Plus I've seen some user posts on Steam engagement and it's very encouraging given the genre 🙏

Can not wait to lose my first unit for good. Especially spicy when it isn't a generic one.

On that topic, I really encourage everyone (newcomers to this game especially) not to worry about what is the "perfect" route or to bother about restarting a map due to having permanently lost a character. The way this game adapts to all different kinds of scenarios is special.

Can not wait to lose my first unit for good. Especially spicy when it isn't a generic one.

On that topic, I really encourage everyone (newcomers to this game especially) not to worry about what is the "perfect" route or to bother about restarting a map due to having permanently lost a character. The way this game adapts to all different kinds of scenarios is special.
Haven't been able to play as I'm in the last stretch of Sonic Frontiers and gonna pass on Pokemon so I can dedicate to this, but I was actually getting worried about:
  • How much does it affects losing characters (it seems it's easier now since you can bench exp, but I'm worried about unwinnable escenarios, looking at some boards and reddit it seems some bosess start with boosted stats so they are harder than the original / port so you want to keep your good units alive)
  • Can loyalty screw you? Like I want to hire some units but is seems they are from the enemy region, and according to the tutorial they get pissed if you start killing their countrymen and leave.

looking at some boards and reddit it seems some bosess start with boosted stats so they are harder than the original / port so you want to keep your good units alive
Reborn has got a turn rewind feature called "Chariot Tarot" so in the event one of your top units gets splatted, you can turn back the clock.

Even then, while I've def heard of some difficult boss scenarios, overall observations Ive read are all pretty confident that generic units can be trained up to be plenty formidable.

Can loyalty screw you?
From all the comments I've read, there is basically only one particular character that often leaves due to the loyalty level. This scenario will play out depending on a big end-of-chapter story decision...

Arycelle the archer

She is pretty strong stat-wise but not super interesting, in terms of story involvement. Apparently there are steps you can take to mitigate her leaving, but I dunno if worth it 🤷

Reborn has got a turn rewind feature called "Chariot Tarot" so in the event one of your top units gets splatted, you can turn back the clock.

Even then, while I've def heard of some difficult boss scenarios, overall observations Ive read are all pretty confident that generic units can be trained up to be plenty formidable.

From all the comments I've read, there is basically only one particular character that often leaves due to the loyalty level. This scenario will play out depending on a big end-of-chapter story decision...

Arycelle the archer

She is pretty strong stat-wise but not super interesting, in terms of story involvement. Apparently there are steps you can take to mitigate her leaving, but I dunno if worth it 🤷
Oh yeah forgot about the chariot tarot. That should really help.

Also is there an advantage to the initial units offered by the game or if I choose to hire new ones (statswise)

ToAlso is there an advantage to the initial units offered by the game or if I choose to hire new ones (statswise)
I mean, yeah, but not to the point where you will ever be gated from completing the game if you have to rely on generic units. It really isn't that serious.

Plus, you are given three turns to revive a unit. If one of your units is incapacitated, you are given three turns before said unit dies for good. Either you manage to finish the battle within three turns, in which case your unit survives by the magic of game logic, or you manage to revive the unit before the timer runs out. So the system is rather lenient to begin with,

I mean, yeah, but not to the point where you will ever be gated from completing the game if you have to rely on generic units. It really isn't that serious.

Plus, you are given three turns to revive a unit. If one of your units is incapacitated, you are given three turns before said unit dies for good. Either you manage to finish the battle within three turns, in which case your unit survives by the magic of game logic, or you manage to revive the unit before the timer runs out. So the system is rather lenient to begin with,
Ah Ok , not gonna worry about that, just because want the lady mage instead of the old wizard :p

Also is there an advantage to the initial units offered by the game or if I choose to hire new ones (statswise)
Do you mean Voltaire the knight and Sara the archer? That join you after meeting Leonar?

Yes, from what I understand, those two get boosted stats despite having generic character portraits.

But if you mean the initial 5 units that join you after rescuing Duke Ronway, I don't think so. I.e. they are pure generic-level stats (someone please correct if wrong).

===

Still in chapter 1 and just went to Rime. Beat the level, it missed the recruitable due to my Convo choice :(

Sigh, data => load

I mite have to consult the recruitment guide after all, I totally forgot that some characters join based on post-battle Convo ... But with no save before the conversation begins!

Do you mean Voltaire the knight and Sara the archer? That join you after meeting Leonar?

Yes, from what I understand, those two get boosted stats despite having generic character portraits.

But if you mean the initial 5 units that join you after rescuing Duke Ronway, I don't think so. I.e. they are pure generic-level stats (someone please correct if wrong).

===

Still in chapter 1 and just went to Rime. Beat the level, it missed the recruitable due to my Convo choice :(

Sigh, data => load

I mite have to consult the recruitment guide after all, I totally forgot that some characters join based on post-battle Convo ... But with no save before the conversation begins!
Yeah I meant the generic ones ( i think its a warrior , a mage, a healer a spearman and other one)

I think that might be right, but I am not entirely sure anymore either.

Decided to do something stupid this time around and go do the battle for Quadriga Fortress as soon as the game allows you. Suffice to say that it was even tougher than when you go there later and/or have another level or three and better skills to utilise, but I still managed to pull it off by playing it rather aggressively and focusing on the main target. It did take three incapacitations, but I wrapped it up quickly enough that it didn't matter.

Decided to do something stupid this time around and go do the battle for Quadriga Fortress as soon as the game allows you. Suffice to say that it was even tougher than when you go there later and/or have another level or three and better skills to utilise, but I still managed to pull it off by playing it rather aggressively and focusing on the main target. It did take three incapacitations, but I wrapped it up quickly enough that it didn't matter.
Looking at faqs it seems the only difference is that they are level 3 instead of 1 if you hire them. So no problem then. I finally finished Sonic Frontiers yesterday so today I'll finally will dedicate my time to this !

Is that battle considered tough? Cause I also tackled it as soon as it appeared and had no problem. Only character I lost was Vyce, but he always tends to get himself taken out. I played it defensively myself whittling down my foes one by one then exorcising them while working my way up.

Is that battle considered tough? Cause I also tackled it as soon as it appeared and had no problem. Only character I lost was Vyce, but he always tends to get himself taken out. I played it defensively myself whittling down my foes one by one then exorcising them while working my way up.
Yeah, Vyce keeps putting himself in the worst spots for some reason.

I'd say it is one of the tougher early game battles for sure. You start with a disadvantage due to the terrain and your positioning in it. Some of the enemy units are rather tanky and deal pretty good damage on top of that.

Nothing an experienced player can't handle, but still.

Finally managed to continue playing this. Did all the battles and got to the meeting with the dark knights, and just stopped before tackling Quadriga Fortress. I really like the variety in the maps and you have to consider your allies when using magic or long range attacks now I learned to leave some space for those units.

I really like the detail that all the maps bosses has some backstory in the Warren report, but also laughed becuase it always end with "Alas, they met their end at Denam's sword in the battlefield" or similar.

Update:
Catuia "Brother, lets think about the best aproach to the battle"
Guest: "yes t'would be best to attack from a better position"
Denam "Aye, we fight to live"
Vice, at the middle of the map, getting rounded by 5 enemies "COME AT ME MOFOS, I'M GONNA GIVE YOU SOME THICK!!!"

Sorry Vice I'm tired of saving your ass. If he dies, he dies

Last edited:
I just let Vyce go off and do his thing while getting the rest of my party in position, at least he makes a good distraction lol. Decided to go the Neutral route this time around since I heard it was the shorter and less interesting of the three. After that I'll go back and do Chaos before finally finishing with Law.

I love how the gameplay changes make this version more streamlined. Back when I played the PSP version I disliked doing sidequests since that meant going off the beaten path and wandering into several random skirmishes before reaching my objective which isn't a problem now that random battles are gone. Then there is crafting which has been made a lot easier and no longer has any chance of randomly failing.

Overall I'm loving this game and can't wait till work is done so I can play some more. Alas, unlike my last job I'm not comfortable taking my Switch to my workplace since I'm afraid one of the kids might steal it.

Looks like good sales for the game in Japan (outselling Sonic Frontiers and Ragnarok)!
Definitely encouraging!
Feels like its doing quite well outside of Japan thus far as well due to pedigree and good word-of-mouth.

The relevant Media-Create for last week (NOTE: All estimated RETAIL figures, does not count digital):

02./00. [NSW] Tactics Ogre: Reborn <SLG> (Square Enix) {2022.11.11} (¥4.982) - 36.783 / NEW
05./00. [PS4] Tactics Ogre: Reborn <SLG> (Square Enix) {2022.11.11} (¥4.982) - 12.668 / NEW
10./00. [PS5] Tactics Ogre: Reborn <SLG> (Square Enix) {2022.11.11} (¥4.982) - 7.805 / NEW

With digital counted, perhaps total first week approaches 100k?

Pillfencer made a fab post that includes a chart of OgreBattle series sales in Japan.
  • The Super Famicom original release of TO cleared 500k units lifetime.
  • The PSP Tactics Ogre remake legged to ~280k lifetime with a ~180k first week.
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn amassed ~57k first week (Switch + PS4 + PS5).

I wish I knew what the target threshold is to get Square-enix to green-light the sequel! 🎯

Definitely encouraging!
Feels like its doing quite well outside of Japan thus far as well due to pedigree and good word-of-mouth.

The relevant Media-Create for last week (NOTE: All estimated RETAIL figures, does not count digital):

02./00. [NSW] Tactics Ogre: Reborn <SLG> (Square Enix) {2022.11.11} (¥4.982) - 36.783 / NEW
05./00. [PS4] Tactics Ogre: Reborn <SLG> (Square Enix) {2022.11.11} (¥4.982) - 12.668 / NEW
10./00. [PS5] Tactics Ogre: Reborn <SLG> (Square Enix) {2022.11.11} (¥4.982) - 7.805 / NEW

With digital counted, perhaps total first week approaches 100k?

Pillfencer made a fab post that includes a chart of OgreBattle series sales in Japan.
  • The Super Famicom original release of TO cleared 500k units lifetime.
  • The PSP Tactics Ogre remake legged to ~280k lifetime with a ~180k first week.
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn amassed ~57k first week (Switch + PS4 + PS5).

I wish I knew what the target threshold is to get Square-enix to green-light the sequel! 🎯
From what I've read over on Installbase, eshop and PSN store sales placement are indicative towards a considerable digital share for the game too, so it seems to be doing quite well.

I wish they had not put TO up against Front Mission by having them release this close to one another, because I know I would have gotten FM on release if it weren't for that, and I know others would have gotten TO on release but are now going for FM instrad, but that's Square for you.

Last edited:
Probably getting Matsuno to feel up to doing one, I guess. They could do one without him since Knight of Lodis and OB64 were both great too but still, I'd imagine they'd prefer if he was heavily involved.

I asked for this game for Xmas, can’t wait to rip into it over the holidays. Nice to see it seemed to turn out so well!

I'm in this state right now:

uDKd1tz.png

I keep going, but now the store have alot of things I don't know if I should upgrade and then class changes where I don't know if I should change or not.

Also are clerics useless? I can se Catuia can use a light attack spell, but can't equip those on clerics, and well, there are ohter classes that can use heal, so I don't see their usefullness other than exorcism

Finished the fight in Xeod Moors and

was thinking of restarting as both griffons were destroying my party. I had only 4 units left and decide to do one last attack to one of the griphons and the mission ended as the boss was mad it was hurt... So that was something

Probably getting Matsuno to feel up to doing one, I guess.
[The man is up for it!]

https://famiboards.com/threads/tactics-ogre-reborn-st-valerian-rhapsody-nsw-ps-pc.4500/post-454403

Matsuno says that he would very much like to answer the calls for a sequel to Tactics Ogre, but this is ultimately a business decision, and he reiterates that it is ultimately up to Square Enix.

And Square-Enix has demonstrated they are willing to give the series a fair shot what with Reborn being much larger in scope than many of their other remaster efforts.

Sooo ... It's up to us whether Ogre Battle lives to a see a sequel (I would love a full remake of the first as well) ... Or goes back to the vaults for another decade+

I keep going, but now the store have alot of things I don't know if I should upgrade and then class changes where I don't know if I should change or not.

Also are clerics useless? I can se Catuia can use a light attack spell, but can't equip those on clerics, and well, there are ohter classes that can use heal, so I don't see their usefullness other than exorcism
I am right around where you are and have not done many class changes yet.
So far:

A) experimenting with a cool Lady Berserker

B) changing the non-special Archer to a warrior. Thinking for the latter is to eventually ninja him so figured might as well train up swords

C) converted Denam to Rune Fencer for extra utility (knight would have worked too).

And lastly, I changed the non-special priest to a wizard.

I agree that healers, at least early-game, are much too limited since Knights and Rune Fencers can also cast heal.

Later game hopefully that changes. Also gotta admit they were crucial in the Fort Quadriga fight!

Looking forward to creating a Beast Tamer once I can actually recruit some beasties 🐲

I am right around where you are and have not done many class changes yet.
So far:

A) experimenting with a cool Lady Berserker

B) changing the non-special Archer to a warrior. Thinking for the latter is to eventually ninja him so figured might as well train up swords

C) converted Denam to Rune Fencer for extra utility (knight would have worked too).

And lastly, I changed the non-special priest to a wizard.

I agree that healers, at least early-game, are much too limited since Knights and Rune Fencers can also cast heal.

Later game hopefully that changes. Also gotta admit they were crucial in the Fort Quadriga fight!

Looking forward to creating a Beast Tamer once I can actually recruit some beasties 🐲
Yeah just decided to let go of my fears and just wing it. Changed one of the generic warriors to beastmaster and the cleric and Denam to a knight as they can also use heal, and so far its working.

BTW , how does stats work here? Does the class determine the stats growth or it's more an equipment thing? I.E if I hire a wizard and want to change it to a berserker will their stats gonna be gimped having a weak berserker or does the equipment and skill covers that?

Only two missions in because the week has been so busy, but, man. That's some good video game

I beat Knights of Lodis about a decade back, but this is my first real go at playing LUCT, and it's familiar but very different. I'm enjoying myself quite a lot

I missed the way these games don't really tell you squat about what you need to do to unlock classes or whatever. Are all the requirements like they were in the older versions? Can I pull the game up on GameFAQs for the SNES or PS1 version and get the same basic information?

Only two missions in because the week has been so busy, but, man. That's some good video game

I beat Knights of Lodis about a decade back, but this is my first real go at playing LUCT, and it's familiar but very different. I'm enjoying myself quite a lot

I missed the way these games don't really tell you squat about what you need to do to unlock classes or whatever. Are all the requirements like they were in the older versions? Can I pull the game up on GameFAQs for the SNES or PS1 version and get the same basic information?
IIRC you get class marks fron enemies drops or steals, and later they are available in the shop. There are some unique classes for the main characters but you get those via story events,

IIRC you get class marks fron enemies drops or steals, and later they are available in the shop. There are some unique classes for the main characters but you get those via story events,
So it's just the marks? Thanks!

My memory failed me a bit; I'm thinking of Ogre Battle/64, where classes were sometimes upgrades to each other, and had alignment/stat/equipment requirements

So it's just the marks? Thanks!

My memory failed me a bit; I'm thinking of Ogre Battle/64, where classes were sometimes upgrades to each other, and had alignment/stat/equipment requirements
So far that's my experience. It really allows for a lot of experimentation as you can change to any class as long as you have the mark, no alignment/stat/equiment requirement. Just changed a wizard to berseker without any issue

BTW , how does stats work here? Does the class determine the stats growth or it's more an equipment thing? I.E if I hire a wizard and want to change it to a berserker will their stats gonna be gimped having a weak berserker or does the equipment and skill covers that?
Curious about this too and dug around a bit.

Best I know thus far, stat upgrades are fairly uniform across classes. E.g. on level up +2 to each stat (I've also seen folks mention +3 gain, but again not tied to some specific class growth).

The main differentiator from what I've read? The BASE stats of the unit.

So in that sense, a character who is recruited as e.g. wizard is going to have wizardy base stats. And thus their max HP would never be as high as someone who started as a berserker.

BUT.

Apparently there are farmable stat growth items that can help mitigate this.

If I'm totally off base and anyone has a better grasp of how stat growth works, please let us know!

Back
Top Bottom