• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Tabletop Role Playing |ST| A Path(finder) toward Fate

1upmuffin

Sand Pounder
Community Liaison
Hello! Welcome to the official table top role playing thread of Famiboards. I will be your game master for this thread.

What is a Tabletop Role Playing Game (TTRPG)?

A TTRPG is a type of non video game where you tell a shared story with your friends, bound by rules of whatever rules you agree on. Generally split into two types of people in the game, the "players", and the "game master"/ dungeon master /whatever specific term the RPG you play uses for this role.

The players play the role of an individual character, controlling their words and actions, and the game master controls the rules of the world, as well as all non player characters.

I've never played a TTRPG, why should I?

TTRPGs are in this wonderful middle area of so many different hobbies. There are aspects of improv, board games, choose your own adventure games, writing, drawing, etc. It's a great way to hang out with friends (or make new ones), and bond over shared adventures and stories.

This thread!

Do you play TTRPGs? Have you always wanted to but never had the chance? Need advice? All that and more, here!

ME!

I love RPGs but haven't got much chance to play recently. I'm trying to get back into it, I'd like to run a Call of Cthulhu (or something else, not sure) game for friends soon. I'm also in a Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition game, but we only meet once a month, and to be honest I'm a bit burned out of 5th edition.

Ooh! Great thread!

I GM Pathfinder (2e) so if anyone has any questions about it let me know. Yes, it’s as good as everyone says it is. :p

Ooh! Great thread!

I GM Pathfinder (2e) so if anyone has any questions about it let me know. Yes, it’s as good as everyone says it is. :p

I've played a one shot of PF2E, I'd like to play more! Seems like it has a lot of cool character choices as well as a nice skill system.

I’m honestly surprised we didn’t have a thread for this!

I’ve been playing DND and World of Darkness since college. Historically I’ve DMed, but have been playing more recently. Just finished a campaign of Wild Beyond the Witchlight recently, it was a ton of fun. Now doing Waterdeep, but it’s on hiatus for now.

I've been huge on some DnD podcasts/streams for a few years now, but have never gotten a chance to play myself. I've been meaning to see if I can find a group online, but never got around to it.

Recently, though, my brother-in-law mentioned wanting to play DnD some time, so I'm currently trying to get a group together for us. I'd have to DM since I'd be the most familiar with the game despite never having played, my plan is to try running The Lost Mines of Phandelver and hope that everyone can find time to play😅

I'd have to DM since I'd be the most familiar with the game despite never having played, my plan is to try running The Lost Mines of Phandelver and hope that everyone can find time to play😅
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a great place to start with D&D :) Wizards has a lot of really good videos on their YouTube channel that basically walk you through the whole thing.

I've been huge on some DnD podcasts/streams for a few years now, but have never gotten a chance to play myself. I've been meaning to see if I can find a group online, but never got around to it.

Recently, though, my brother-in-law mentioned wanting to play DnD some time, so I'm currently trying to get a group together for us. I'd have to DM since I'd be the most familiar with the game despite never having played, my plan is to try running The Lost Mines of Phandelver and hope that everyone can find time to play😅
My advice to get groups set up including new players is to have the opening session work as a standalone thing too. Like the a pilot episode of a Tv show, so everyone comes away with good memories of it regardless and wants more. A beginning, a middle and an end with some things resolved, some things left open, something exciting and something intriguing. Nothing kills campaigns faster when trying to show off how engaging an rpg is than a 3 hour session in which very little happened

I've gm'd a lot of Call of Cthulhu and DnD. But really interested in running AD&D and or Dungeon Call Classics if anyone here is interested. Please let me know

I've gm'd a lot of Call of Cthulhu and DnD. But really interested in running AD&D and or Dungeon Call Classics if anyone here is interested. Please let me know

What draws you AD&D? I have a couple of the 2e books but haven’t read the 1e ad&d ones.

DCC is cool, I did a demo game once through the Goodman Games site.

Oh how exciting

I've ran a 2 year long campaign set in a world of my design in DnD, I play in a Masks campaign and actual-play podcast set in the DC universe run by one of my closest friends, I've run a short campaign in that same world, I'm trying to run an on/off campaign of FIST but that game has a lot of moving parts, and I'm trying to run a campaign of Monsterhearts 2 set in the Locked Tomb but that story has a lot of moving parts

I love TTRPGs

Back
Top Bottom