• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Switch hits 111.08 million shipped as of 30th June

curl-6

Chain Chomp

For comparison, the next systems up are PS4 at 117.1m and Gameboy at 118.96m

This is 3.43 million sales for the quarter; a reduction from 4.45 million last year, but much higher than the same quarter in 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Nintendo are maintaining their forecast of 21 million Switches for the Financial Year ending March 31st 2023.

Last edited:
Although PS4 is still selling, I don't expect a monumental rise despite games still being developed for it, so I can easily see the Switch beating that target number. Speaking of, I wonder if by 2024 we'll still be seeing PS4+PS5 games (I expect 2023 to still have PS4 games like this year and the last).

Thank you for reading.

They are not "refreshes", they had the same exact hardware. "Iterations" is a better word for them.

Like Gameboy's Play it loud line or Game Boy Pocket.
Well technically they don’t have “the exact same hardware” as the launch Switch

Edit: to clarify I’m not talking about battery, screen, chasis, etc. I’m talking about the improved SOC

Last edited:
Switch sales are largely declining due to supply not demand. It's going to do more than fine this holiday with open world Pokemon.
agreed. i don't think it's slowing down by any means. the splatoon + pokemon combo is going to bring some crazy numbers for the next two quarters.

Switch sales are largely declining due to supply not demand. It's going to do more than fine this holiday with open world Pokemon.
I disagree. I could walk in in a Media Markt this weekend and buy an OLED model without any hassle. There were at least 12-15 machines comfortably displayed on the shelves.

I disagree. I could walk in in a Media Markt this weekend and buy an OLED model without any hassle. There were at least 12-15 machines comfortably displayed on the shelves.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. It is easier getting an OLED than a PS5, but Nintendo has restocking issues due to high demand and low parts availability. That's a fact.

LksChej.png

0qUiMDg.png

The overall software sales were decent this quarter, hardware was a slight disappointment but with better upcoming system sellers hopefully hardware sales will reach 4 million in Q2.

Last edited:
It seems that at the end of this year the Switch will be around 125 million units and software around 1000 million units.
Incredible!

Lite is uniquely popular in the Americas, over 25% shipped there last quarter were Lites, but elsewhere it's below 15%

Last edited:
Seems like it’s going to easily outsell everything apart from the PS2 and DS at this point. All while having consolidated their hardware and software lines and established an almost infectious level of evergreen software sales across nearly their entire line-up.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the discussions over what to do next with Switch. I’d be just ‘let’s just iterate, this hybrid model clearly works for us and provides a USP that has no sign of being challenged and still allows ports of pretty much anything but the biggest third party projects.’ But on the other hand I’m neither a games industry exec, developer or engineer, so I’m sure there’s been some way more creative ideas floating around too before they settled on a route.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. It is easier getting an OLED than a PS5, but Nintendo has restocking issues due to high demand and low parts availability. That's a fact.
In Europe Switch supply has actual increased slightly (basically flat) compared to the same quarter last year. It's dropped everywhere else.

I think the salient hardware comparison is going to be versus 2019, before the pandemic inflated peak sales. Nintendo's hardware estimate for the year is in line with that, after all, and the first quarter of this FY trends above the 2019 equivalent.

I think the salient hardware comparison is going to be versus 2019, before the pandemic inflated peak sales. Nintendo's hardware estimate for the year is in line with that, after all, and the first quarter of this FY trends above the 2019 equivalent.
Absolutely. To view the sales decline in a vacuum is a bit shortsighted.

Switch sales have now been increasingly declining for 3 straight quarters, and it would have been 4 if the OLED had not released.
I don't see how a pro is going to keep this thing alive for 3 more years.
PS4 peaked in its third year but still went on to sell pretty well for three years afterwards until it was replaced.

It's normal for consoles to peak and then decline.

The very existence of the Splatoon 3 bundle in Japan pretty much seals the fates of the PS4 and Gameboy. Scarvio will take the Switch to 120 million and above.

It's actually right behind PS4 and the GameBoy now. Without a price cut. Blimey.

If whatever Nintendo have lined up next counts as being part of the Switch family and doesn't count as a new gen, this console could have DS numbers in its sights...

I think it’s a bit of both, anecdotal but I’ve seen the switch cages at all of the big box stores near me completely full of inventory over the past few weeks. They could just be selling out every week, or they could be hitting close to demand in late July/early august.

Switch sales have now been increasingly declining for 3 straight quarters, and it would have been 4 if the OLED had not released.
Well, Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 is coming next year so that shows how serious Nintendo is in supporting it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Pro launch with huge games like these or with a new 3D Mario.

It's actually right behind PS4 and the GameBoy now. Without a price cut. Blimey.

If whatever Nintendo have lined up next counts as being part of the Switch family and doesn't count as a new gen, this console could have DS numbers in its sights...

The Switch lite was a price cut in some senses though.

Surely some form of new hardware is imminent, because I'd be surprised if Switch could reach 150 without one.

Well, Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 is coming next year so that shows how serious Nintendo is in supporting it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Pro launch with huge games like these or with a new 3D Mario.

A pro in a console's 6th year would be insane. I think they only reason we say it's a "pro" at this point is because we expect one. I don't think any hard evidence is there to suggest it'll be that rather than a full successor with some cross gen titles.

Although PS4 is still selling, I don't expect a monumental rise despite games still being developed for it, so I can easily see the Switch beating that target number. Speaking of, I wonder if by 2024 we'll still be seeing PS4+PS5 games (I expect 2023 to still have PS4 games like this year and the last).

Thank you for reading.
Sony only committed to producing a very small batch of new PS4 systems earlier this year (after previously stopping manufacturing of the system). Like a million or so worldwide. PS4 is, for all intents and purposes, discontinued at this point.

The reason we’re still seeing new PS4 games at this point is due to PS5 backwards compatibility and stock shortages curtailing the sales potential of any dedicated PS5 games. If and when Sony is able to get their stock situation under control we’ll start to see a lot fewer cross-generation releases for Sony’s ecosystem.

Not impressed, call me when the switch story finally taps out and it becomes a late years failure like the Wii.
It's gonna happen any minutes now.

In addition, we'll be launching the Nintendo Switch - OLED Model Splatoon 3 Edition, featuring an original Splatoon 3 design, on August 26, ahead of the release of Splatoon 3. On that same day, we'll also be releasing a Nintendo Switch Pro
Well, there it is, Switch Pro in a few weeks.

Switch Sales are still higher than 2017 to 2019 though and with a new console I could see them staying over 20million for at least the next two years. I don‘t see the Switch brand done in any capacity.

Also we really don‘t know what this hardware will be. I‘m expecting it will be marketing wise a new generation in the long term. First two years Switch and New Switch will get the same games with a few exclusive features to the new console and after that we‘ll get exclusive first party games on this new console. This would essentially mean that this hardware would sell another 100 million if everything goes well.

If that is not the case and it really just is a Pro/New 3DS type device, we will see Switch 2 probably around 2025 with original Switch+Pro staying on market until 2027. But I have a hard time believing that with how much more powerful this upcoming hardware is supposed to be. With the Pro a new generation switch in 2025 wouldn‘t be much of an update at all and I don‘t think they’re ready to go away from the Switch concept that soon already.

It's still selling over a million units a month, which is frankly staggering for a console this far into it's life cycle.

For comparison, Wii sales had fallen off a cliff by the same point in it's life.

Switch is going from selling record breaking numbers every quarter down to really good numbers every quarter. Nintendo will still be very happy with these figures, and if they do want to keep it going for even longer, they have both more first party support coming over the next few years, as well as the option of implementing a price cut.

Exactly, not all declines are the same. Wii dropped off a cliff after year 4. Switch has not.

The other thing I think Nintendo will be pleased about here is the shipment breakdown. OLED comes out on top, which suggests customers are comfortable with a more premium price point for Switch hardware. Good news as they likely ready the most expensive model yet, though perhaps bad news for some customers given how high hardware prices are beginning to trend these days.

it doesn't really need growth when its software attachment is so abnormally high
Maybe for a portable, but it’s not really abnormally high for a console.

GB/C- 118.69M:501M, Ratio = 4.22
PSP- 76.4M:331M, Ratio = 4.33
GBA- 81.51M:377.42M, Ratio = 4.6
3DS- 75.94M:388.55M , Ratio = 5.12
NDS- 154.02M:949M, Ratio = 6.16
N64- 32.93M:224.97M, Ratio = 6.68
WiiU- 13.5M:103.48M, Ratio = 7.63
SNES- 49.1M:379.06M, Ratio = 7.72
NSW- 111.08M: >863.59, Ratio = > 7.774*
NES- 61.91M:500M, Ratio = 8.08
360- unknown, but at least 8.1 as of 2008, Probably like 9-10 by the end of its life time.
Wii- 101.6M:921M, Ratio = 9.07
PS1- 102.4M:962M, Ratio = 9.33
GCN- 21.8M:208M, Ratio = 9.59
PS2- >157M:1537M, Ratio = 9.78
PS3- 87.4M: >999M, Ratio= >11.4
PS4- 116.9M: >1500M, Ratio = >12.89

*doesn’t include digital only titles, only those with retail release. Is probably like 9-9.1 ratio if I were to assume anything.

As you can see, more or less Switch is in a pretty middle spot with respect to home consoles. If we were to look at only the portables, switch heavily outclasses them all in attachment Ratio… except the Vita maybe🤷🏾‍♂️, which is a whole mess since people speculate it’s like 15-20 from what I’ve seen for that console… has a very dedicated following. (Just a theory, so I’m not adding it because it’s hearsay at best)

However, I should add, that these software ratios will increase the older the platform gets.

I’m putting the 360 where it is because the only number we have is like 8.1, we don’t have any up to date numbers.

Ordered from lowest to highest software attachment ratio.

Last edited:
Maybe for a portable, but it’s not really abnormally high for a console.

GB/C- 118.69M:501M, Ratio = 4.22
PSP- 76.4M:331M, Ratio = 4.33
GBA- 81.51M:377.42M, Ratio = 4.6
3DS- 75.94M:388.55M , Ratio = 5.12
NDS- 154.02M:949M, Ratio = 6.16
N64- 32.93M:224.97M, Ratio = 6.68
WiiU- 13.5M:103.48M, Ratio = 7.63
SNES- 49.1M:379.06M, Ratio = 7.72
NSW- 111.08M: >863.59, Ratio = > 7.774*
NES- 61.91M:500M, Ratio = 8.08
360- unknown, but at least 8.1 as of 2008, Probably like 9-10 by the end of its life time.
Wii- 101.6M:921M, Ratio = 9.07
PS1- 102.4M:962M, Ratio = 9.33
GCN- 21.8M:208M, Ratio = 9.59
PS2- >157M:1537M, Ratio = 9.78
PS3- 87.4M: >999M, Ratio= >11.4
PS4- 116.9M: >1500M, Ratio = >12.89

*doesn’t include digital only titles, only those with retail release. Is probably like 9-9.1 ratio if I were to assume anything.

As you can see, more or less Switch is in a pretty middle spot with respect to home consoles. If we were to look at only the portables, switch heavily outclasses them all in attachment Ratio… except the Vita maybe🤷🏾‍♂️, which is a whole mess since people speculate it’s like 15-20 from what I’ve seen for that console… has a very dedicated following. (Just a theory, so I’m not adding it because it’s hearsay at best)

However, I should add, that these software ratios will increase the older the platform gets.

I’m putting the 360 where it is because the only number we have is like 8.1, we don’t have any up to date numbers.

Ordered from lowest to highest software attachment ratio.
It's also worth mentioning that the more a console sells overall, the more impact that can have on the attach rate going down. Once a console reaches a certain level of popularity, there is a demographic of gamers who will buy one only to play the most popular releases.

IE - there was a huge contingent of gamers in the 360/PS3 era who bought a console just to play the latest FIFA. Or people who bought a Gameboy just to play Tetris.

They're not casual gamers in the sense that they play Wii Sports, but they're also not particularly interested in playing the latest Platinum game or God of War. They just want a console to play FIFA, Fortnite or COD, and won't buy a huge amount outside of that.

The outlook for this FY is still about 21M - which is very very high for any system, let alone a system in it's 7th FY.
Yes the Switch is declining, but it's important to realize that it is declining compared to the two bonkers years it had before:

28M '21 and 23M in '22. - Still ahead of every other year in it's lifespan.

The only Xbox, Playstation system that has had a FY selling more than this current forecast for the Switch is the PS2 - and it did it only once I believe.
So dont spin on a narrative that doesnt exist, Switch still very much in a healthy state.

Switch is still forecasted to sell more than PS4 peak year btw for people doom posting
The outlook for this FY is still about 21M - which is very very high for any system, let alone a system in it's 7th FY.
Yes the Switch is declining, but it's important to realize that it is declining compared to the two bonkers years it had before:

28M '21 and 23M in '22. - Still ahead of every other year in it's lifespan.

The only Xbox, Playstation system that has had a FY selling more than this current forecast for the Switch is the PS2 - and it did it only once I believe.
So dont spin on a narrative that doesnt exist, Switch still very much in a healthy state.
At this point people are just latching on to anything that makes the release of Switch 2 likelier

Never mind the fact that console makers don't really base their hardware release plans on "momentum"

It's also worth mentioning that the more a console sells overall, the more impact that can have on the attach rate going down. Once a console reaches a certain level of popularity, there is a demographic of gamers who will buy one only to play the most popular releases.

IE - there was a huge contingent of gamers in the 360/PS3 era who bought a console just to play the latest FIFA. Or people who bought a Gameboy just to play Tetris.

They're not casual gamers in the sense that they play Wii Sports, but they're also not particularly interested in playing the latest Platinum game or God of War. They just want a console to play FIFA, Fortnite or COD, and won't buy a huge amount outside of that.
Hm, has there been anything about an attachment ratio going down? I’ve only seen them go up.

Back
Top Bottom