• Hey Guest! As we are sure you are aware, Russia has invaded Ukraine. Check out our pinned thread in the Roost for resources on how to support Ukraine in their ongoing crisis. Let's show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people!

Discussion Switch FPS Appreciation & Recommendation Thread

ermitron2

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
Any experience with Strange Brigade, from the same dev (I think)? That one looked like it could be arcady fun.
Haven't played that one unfortunately.

I also recommend Powerslave, it's a very good port of the original game (or originals as it mixes 2 versions) and is something like a prototype version of Metroid Prime where you gain different abilites in game to continue exploring, and you can return to previous levels with the new abilities to pick up missing stuff

Pronouns
He, Him, His
Anyone play Slime Rancher? I could use more colorful FPSs on my Switch.

Also: adding my vote for the Turok games and BulletStorm, in addition to Doom, Quake and Alien Isolation. I own Project Warlock but haven't been able to get good at it yet. Neon White is on my radar.

Others that may be worth checking out include Superhot, Stranger's Wrath, Republic Commando. Wolfenstein and Portal are obvious mentions.
Give the demo for Hypercharge: Unboxed a try, it's clear the developers put a lot of effort into that game and it runs well in handheld mode.

Last but certainly not least, Boomerang X is first person, not really a shooter, but totally fucking awesome and worth the small learning curve.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Understand, Understand
Pronouns
She/Her
I played crisis for the very first time. Very solid game. I have yet to play crisis 2 and 3 yet. All on the switch!
It's crazy that Crysis on a handheld a) exists b) runs well. Admittedly I don't really like the games that much but it's just really impressive to see it running on a 5 inch screen.

Marce-chan

Koopa
Pronouns
he/they
Okay Fami I ended up buying Doom Eternal Deluxe Edition. Got it last minute on sale at Argentine eShop, for the price I would get the game without DLC on the Brazilian eShop sale.

I might still regret it lol. Had to archive a lot of games to fit on storage so maybe I won't play it for long before having to uninstall. Anyways I better love it and love the DLC too now lol. Thankfully my funds saved on the Brazilian eShop will stay on hold til the next big Nintendo or Atlus sale where I get something.

OP
OP
manfromthedam

manfromthedam

Semi Undercover Game Music Guy
I also recommend Powerslave, it's a very good port of the original game (or originals as it mixes 2 versions) and is something like a prototype version of Metroid Prime where you gain different abilites in game to continue exploring, and you can return to previous levels with the new abilities to pick up missing stuff
Yeah I've had that on my radar for a while because it looks intriguing. How is the shooting stuff - being lost ratio?
Others that may be worth checking out include Superhot, Stranger's Wrath, Republic Commando. Wolfenstein and Portal are obvious mentions.
Give the demo for Hypercharge: Unboxed a try, it's clear the developers put a lot of effort into that game and it runs well in handheld mode.

Last but certainly not least, Boomerang X is first person, not really a shooter, but totally fucking awesome and worth the small learning curve.
Great suggestions, hadn't heard about a few of those so that's good! =D
Okay Fami I ended up buying Doom Eternal Deluxe Edition. Got it last minute on sale at Argentine eShop, for the price I would get the game without DLC on the Brazilian eShop sale.
Hope you like it. I'd recommend picking the easiest or second-to easiest difficulty modes for the first playthrough. This way you get to learn (and enjoy) the game without it burning you out before the end =P . I wish I'd done that on my first playthrough, but I picked ultraviolence because that was my setting for Doom 2016. Waaaay too hard =P . The difficulty descriptions are outta whack on Eternal, even the easiest one I wouldn't call easy by a long stretch.

ermitron2

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I've had that on my radar for a while because it looks intriguing. How is the shooting stuff - being lost ratio?
The shooting sections are good, regardign getting lost it's really low, as it's not one big area. The game is separated by levels, with multiple exits, but the secondary ones are reached only once you have your upgrades and its structured so that they are usually in the last (maybe 2) levels back and its very easy to remember (like "here is a giant path of lava you can't pass" and then in the next level find the upgrade to walk on lava). There are hidden collectibles that may need some backtracking to initial levels, but are more of an extra thing

Top Bottom