• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Super Paper Mario Appreciation Thread

Super Paper Mario is one of the better entries in the series!

• Total voters

Sadist

Mad Titan
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Secret confession, I have never played the Thousand Year Door.

THE HERETIC

Wowwowow now, chill out my peeps. I did play the original on N64, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. The Origami King is currently inhabiting my backlog. Still, I just want to say that Super Paper Mario is a charming game. Sure, it has its problems, but which game doesn't? One of the best things in this game is about the hilarious script. The dialogue is very aweare of itself and it gave us quite possibly the greatest screenshot and truth of all time.

paper_mario_meta.0.jpg

How did you like this Paper Mario game?

Loved it! Super paper mario was actually my introduction to the series so maybe I'm a fake fan but I've followed along since then. TOK beats it out I think but the dialogue and humor is excellent in SPM and I love the Fez esque flipping perspective to uncover hidden items and areas. Would love for it to be more accessible , be it a port or NSO or something.

While I do think Super Paper Mario is a pretty deeply flawed game that's not as good as 64 or TTYD, it's still a game I enjoyed quite a lot, more than any of the games that followed it (yes, including Origami King). It also managed to maintain the identity of Paper Mario despite (or perhaps because of) its general weirdness, which was really lost after Nintendo started cracking down on Mario spin-offs.

My second favorite in the series after TTYD.

It’s unbalanced and needs refinement, but it was still so unique from a gameplay perspective. And probably the best story and characters in the series

Origami King is going to be my first. I’m kinda sad I’ve missed all the previous glory. I’m also glad because it means in most cases I can be happy about the inevitable remasters.

Super Paper Mario is a whacky good time that I have firmly in the upper half of Paper Marios. It takes chances, does something different, and mostly succeeds.

Origami King is a masterpiece and also the best Paper Mario game (don’t @ me), but SPM is up there as one of the best in the series. It’s on my list of Wii games to replay sometime soon.

Best Paper Mario... of the first three. Never played the later ones. Enjoyable gameplay coupled with a bunch of great characters makes for a solid game I don't mind going back to every so often.

I enjoyed the story and soundtrack and disliked almost everything else but Mario did go to hell so there’s that

When this game released in 2007, people seemed pretty divided on whether or not this game was like, actually bad or just worse than the Thousand Year Door but good by other metrics. I was always firmly in the latter camp and I feel as though my opinion on that has become vindicated over the years. The script is hysterical, the characters are great, and while both the platforming and puzzles are kinda easy I've still never really played anything that feels remotely like it.

It's definitely better than any of the newer Paper Marios that followed. In fact, in the last year I played a couple of the Mario & Luigi games after ignoring those for so long, and while I enjoyed them, I'd actually say SPM has more of the heart of what I liked about the first two Paper Mario games in it than those. 64 and Thousand Year Door are still the best in the series though.

It's the first Paper Mario game I have played and one of the reasons I originally got a Wii (the other being NSMBWii). I loved how weird it looked back then and I still do now. It's my favorite out of the ones I have played... which so far only include SPM and Sticker Star, so some might say my sample isn't the best. xD But I love love LOVE the villains in this one, they're such an interesting mix of colorful and creepy (in a whimsical way) with my favorite character, Mimi, being the epitome of this. Cute and creepy is one of my favorite aesthetics.

Gave this a "Yeah!" before even reading the OP.

Fantastic game. Loved it. Also had some fantastic writing and characters. Would argue best writing in the series. This is a game that needs much love as I felt it was better than TTYD, which was a good game, but I also feel it is held up too much on a pedestal (the original Paper Mario is superior to TTYD; don't @me)

It’s obviously not bad, and it’s got an epic story with great characters. Playing as Peach and Bowser was cool, and the music is one of Nintendo’s best soundtracks.

But the core gameplay was fairly weak by series standards IMO. It’s not that great as a platformer, and the gimmicks like Pixls and 2D-3D travel are just okay. It’s a game I’m very glad exists but don’t have much of a desire to replay.

I've always been mixed on this game. Story takes a few chapters to really get going but from the Sammer Kingdom chapter onwards it's pretty good.

Gameplay's also a bit mixed, the 2D-3D mechanic isn't particularly exciting and I can't really remember a single moment where I was impressed by it. Combat gameplay however is quite fun and doing the extra challenges like Sammer Kingdom and the Pit was pretty cool.

I much prefer Paper Mario 64 to it, which is the only other Paper Mario I've ever played.

Loved this game, it’s a shame it gets such a bad rap as it followed up TTYD. Would like to see it get the HD treatment

Back
Top Bottom