• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Super Mario Bros Movie first Teaser Trailer to appear at New York Comic Con on October 6th

toad-screaming.gif

Mamamia. Im sure the movie will be fine. It will be a totally serviceable kids movie while adults sit and the theatre and gripe on twitter about how its not game accurate lol

I’m just so curious about this movie. There are so many unknowns still for a film releasing in six months. What is Chris Pratt as Mario going to sound like? What is it going to be called?

Thank god it’s just an announcement for the trailer

I’m gonna need to mentally prepare myself for this

Funnily enough, I'm not afraid of this film downright sucking. A train wreck of a movie would at least be entertaining, even if for the wrong reasons.

For me, the worst case scenario would be it turning out to be "just okay", a run-of-the-mill 3D movie, with every critic under the sun concluding their reviews with a variation of "No one would care about this film if it wasn't a Mario movie".

I wonder how often Doug Bowser finds himself sitting in the corner of his office with his hands over his head whispering "there's still time to cancel the movie before the world hears the voice" over and over

I want this movie to succeed not so much for its own sake, but because the inevitable Luigi’s Mansion movie starring Charlie Day would be AMAZING.

Time for the carnage to ensue.

The casting for bowser and Kamek is great tho, Jack brings tons of energy and his foil is the guy who played Gantu in Lilo and Stitch so there should be solid chemistry there. Nobody is a first time VA on the main cast either even if they are bigger names

It will probably just sound like chris pratt in the lego movie
Honestly Id be more worried about Seth Rogan than Pratt on the VA side. Pratt is a decent actor and is used to working as a VA, so as long as the movie had a strong voice direction director they can bring a lot out of a skilled actor. Rogan tends to be one note on the other hand
Pratt will definitely have an accent

I, for one, am grateful that Nintendo, Illumination and their partners decided to air this a week before my birthday! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now, that aside...I can't help but be just as curious for Jack Black's take on Bowser as Pratt's Mario rendition. Much like Martinet's voice has standardized the plumber's voice, so too has Kenny James been pretty much Bowser's default voice and characterization for over a decade.

Besides that, I think we probably will get proof that everything else about the leaks is probably going to be true.

Honestly Id be more worried about Seth Rogan than Pratt on the VA side. Pratt is a decent actor and is used to working as a VA, so as long as the movie had a strong voice direction director they can bring a lot out of a skilled actor. Rogan tends to be one note on the other hand

Rogan has to only be able to prove he can carry a (mostly) laidback super-gorilla that just wants to eat bananas all day.

I...don't think that'll be entirely out of his wheelhouse.

it wont suck
W1V0PUH.png
No faith until I see the Mario movie for myself. None at all.

I don't really know that the Teen Titan Go! To the Movies team is the best fit given its exact brand of meta humor, even if it is good, but that's a separate point. Could still be good, I dunno.

I'm still really afraid that the movie will poorly balance being a "general audiences" deal and being a Mario adaptation like the first Sonic movie.

I'm still really afraid that the movie will poorly balance being a "general audiences" deal and being a Mario adaptation like the first Sonic movie.
Honestly, I think it'll adapt Mario...fine, I guess. I'm more concerned that either it will be extremely bland and generic or it'll lean too much into meta humor.

I want this movie to succeed not so much for its own sake, but because the inevitable Luigi’s Mansion movie starring Charlie Day would be AMAZING.
You just know they want to do a Donkey Kong movie before that.

With Tom Holland as Diddy Kong.

Uh boyyyy. This is PIVOTAL for the movie. First impressions are so important and they need to deliver something good. I hope so bad this movie will succeed just so Nintendo greenlights other cinematic projects like a Metroid movie, Zelda series etc etc. If this bombs review and box office wise, we will never see another cinematic project from Nintendo for a LONG time.

Uh boyyyy. This is PEVITAL for the movie. First impressions are so important and they need to deliver something good. I hope so bad this movie will succeed just so Nintendo greenlights other cinematic projects like a Metroid movie, Zelda series etc etc. If this bombs review and box office wise, we will never see another cinematic project from Nintendo for a LONG time.
I disagree. Nintendo is investing half a billion in cinematic shit so no.

But man this film will be so bad that its good. My hopes are that Jack Black is as amazing as usual and that it makes at least 400 million to give nintendo a bit more faith, even jf they are investing heavily like i said.

It's funny how I read the leaked plot summary a few months ago and I still have no idea what this movie is about.

Considering that we know characters like Cranky Kong and Foreman Spike will show up, at the very least it's gonna be a lot weirder and pull more directly from the source material than Sonic 1. I think general audiences will just be fine seeing Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, etc. and follow along with the rest.

Soon we're going to live in a post-Mario Movie world

Doesn't feel real

I disagree. Nintendo is investing half a billion in cinematic shit so no.

But man this film will be so bad that its good. My hopes are that Jack Black is as amazing as usual and that it makes at least 400 million to give nintendo a bit more faith, even jf they are investing heavily like i said.
They know what they're doing. The cast went viral and the locals were made aware of the movie in results of that. The cast will also bring a more mature audience. I doubt the movie is as aimed at kids as people here have been saying. Cast and it being shown at CC are all choices they made carefully.

I'm terrified of this movie..

It will be terrible AND incredibly successful (like most Illumination movies), and that's a horrifying combination that could have severe impact on the Super Mario IP going forward..

Don't let me start on my fear on the Brazilian Portuguese cast that haven't announced yet..

I'm terrified of this movie..

It will be terrible AND incredibly successful (like most Illumination movies), and that's a horrifying combination that could have severe impact on the Super Mario IP going forward..

Don't let me start on my fear on the Brazilian Portuguese cast that haven't announced yet..
I think illumination movies are largely okay. Some arent for me, but i loved despicable me 1 and 2, and secret life of pets was pretty cute/funny. Even that first minions move made me chuckle. Honestly dont get the hate for them. Yeah, they arent disney or pixar, but i dont think they are trying to be

I actually really like what they're doing for the poster. That glowing ? block on a black background gives me actual hyyyype

They know what they're doing. The cast went viral and the locals were made aware of the movie in results of that. The cast will also bring a more mature audience. I doubt the movie is as aimed at kids as people here have been saying. Cast and it being shown at CC are all choices they made carefully.
Knowing what they re dong does not mean what they re doing will be good.

Illumination absolutely knows what they re doing, low budget films for hyperactive children, blowing 80% of their budget in marketing, so on and so forth.

Yeah i do enjoy the cast but just because Jack Black is Bowser does not mean the film will be Kung Fu Panda lol.

Last edited:
Could have premiered in the Direct itself since it's only 3 weeks apart.
Honestly I am fine with them keeping out their non gaming projects from General Directs. Really don't need more marketing pushed down my throat.
Comic-Con is probably the perfect fit for a reveal.

Hyping up the premiere of a teaser lmao. Alright!

I can’t see a way this movie can be good. My mind really wants there to be a way, and I’ll be rooting for it. But it feels like there are so, so many ways this could fall off the rails.

If Mario just sounds like Chris Pratt with no attempt at any voice I will die of laughter. Maybe asking too much for a teaser but I legitimately can’t wait to hear Charlie Day as Luigi

I think illumination movies are largely okay. Some arent for me, but i loved despicable me 1 and 2, and secret life of pets was pretty cute/funny. Even that first minions move made me chuckle. Honestly dont get the hate for them. Yeah, they arent disney or pixar, but i dont think they are trying to be
I actually really liked The Grinch movie they did.

Back
Top Bottom