• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Summer Games Done Quick |ST| Games at up to Any% Off!

Nanashrew

The Sandshrew
Pronouns
He/Him
summerbanner_big9pksj.png
Welcome to the Summer Games Done Quick 2022 thread! Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) is a long-running charity event where the speedrunning community comes together to raise money for the Doctors Without Borders. SGDQ 2022 will be running 24/7 from June 26th to July 3rd, livestreamed on Twitch.TV, featuring many speedrunners from all over the world running many of your favourite games. Viewers are invited to donate in order to unlock bonus games and events, or to enter in to raffles to win cool prizes. Games Done Quick has raised over 28 Million US Dollars for charity since its inception, making it the largest fundraising event for Prevent Cancer Foundation and Doctors Without Borders!

Want up to date info on Games Done Quick events!? Check out Games Done Quick on Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, and the Games Done Quick official website!

Doctors Without Borders is an international organization devoted to distributing impartial, accountable, and ethical medical aid where it’s needed most. Founded in 1968 by a group of young doctors seeking to help victims of war and natural disasters, Doctors Without Borders is a fantastic humanitarian organization, worthy of your donations. Find out more about Doctors Without Borders’ cause, history, and programs here: DoctorsWithoutBorders.ORG
Games Done Quick events are partnered with Twitch.TV! You can find all their events (including AGDQ, SGDQ, GDQX, Frame Fatales, GDQ Hotfix, and more!) on their official Twitch page:
Fear not! With Summer Games Done Quick running 24 hours a day, all week long, you’re bound to miss some great runs. Fortunately, it’s easy to find VODs on both Twitch and YouTube. /r/Speedrun has an updated VOD thread with timestamps for Twitch VODs, and GDQ gradually uploads runs to their YouTube channel. Even if you just missed the beginning of a run and want to rewind a short amount of time, Twitch automatically uploads a VOD of streams even if they’re still live! You can find the current stream in the “Recent Broadcasts” header under Videos on the Games Done Quick Twitch page.
Games Done Quick Twitch VODs: twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/videos
Games Done Quick YouTube VODs: https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

All events, complete with Game, Runner, Runtime, and Donation reader in a handy format which automatically converts to your local time zone! Plan which days to skip out on work or class, or the optimal time to take a “bathroom break.” Keep in mind that the schedule will shift over time as runs finish under- or over-estimate, and additional bonus events are added.

banner_donationjrjmq.png
Want to donate!? There are multiple ways to contribute! Donations can be made directly to MSF via Games Done Quick’s portal. Alternatively, you can buy cool limited time T-Shirt, Buttons, and Banners from The Yetee, an official partner of Games Done Quick. All profits from this merch is donated to MSF via GDQ!
Want to see how high the donation total has gotten? Maybe you want to see the upcoming incentives or prizes? Games Done Quick provides a simple donation tracker!

banner_question_finalqlkr4.png
Q: I really love Summer Games Done Quick, but Twitch chat is awful! Where can I go to discuss the marathon free of spam, bigotry, and bad memes!?
A: We have a long running community which originally started as a private Twitch chat, and has since moved to Discord! Feel free to join us, just please read #info and familiarize yourself with the rules!​

Q: WHAT THE HECK!? THEY’RE USING GLITCHES!
A: Speedrunning is the process of beating a game as fast as humanly possible! This includes the use of glitches. The number of glitches used varies by game, of course, and there are a variety of categories which each utilize different strategies. The schedule entry between the time slot and the system the game is being run on shows which category will be featured at SGDQ, including “any%”, which is beating the game as fast as possible without restrictions, and “glitchless” or “no major glitches” categories which disallow some or all glitches.​

Q: Dang this is so cool! How can I watch more speedruns!?
A: The Games Done Quick Twitch channel hosts an increasingly varied number of events all year around. Other marathons (including European Speedrun Assembly, and a number of tournaments and community marathons) are regularly hosted all over Twitch. Simply searching for speedruns on Youtube, or glancing at the SpeedRuns.com leader boards will give you a host of awesome runs to watch.​

Last edited:
So excited for this! I kept forgetting it’s only a few days away! Thanks for the awesome OP and thread!

So glad it's back to being in person. The last few events have lacked the amazing energy of past events. I've purposely avoided watching any Elden Ring speedruns so I can watch one for the first time live at SGDQ. I can't wait!

Fantastic thread, great work! I'm sooo much looking forward to this. I've fallen a bit off and haven't kept up with GDQ these past years, but this time I'm definitely watching.

It's that time of the year again! Let's see if I will manage to catch some runs live. Especially looking forward to the Metroid Dread and Kaizo Super Metroid runs. Metroid speedruns are just consistently fun to watch.

Wow, it kind of snuck up on me this year. Looks like a lot of good stuff is planned.

Always love your GDQ threads Nana!! Can't wait to be there in person again. I'll try and post to the thread occasionally with pictures and stuff while I'm there!! It's going to be a great week!! :)

I'm local so I'll be floating in and out as I visit friends. I kind of doubt I'll actually be around the stream room much other than maybe the Mega Man block.

I never had any doubt, but I'm so glad they're keeping some runs remote. Really allows so much more variety and engagement.

I remember Rolled Out! a bit ago. Super glad to get that on the early day stuff. Such a fun looking game.

Rolled Out! looks cool, not my kind of game, but I always enjoy speedruns of these kind of games just for the spectacle.

Enjoyed the Mass Effect run too.

Enjoyed watching Kirby, Pokemon Snap, and Perfect Dark today. Great start to the marathon.

Hoping to catch Link’s Awakening tomorrow.

Unfortunately Kirby and Snap were past my bedtime but looking forward to catching up on the vods.

Really excited for Metroid Dread. Such a wonderful speedrunning game to watch. Really sells the mobility of that game.

Zelda races (like Metroid) are also always extremely entertaining so I am quite excited for the Links Awakening Remake race scheduled for today.

Does anybody know if in pokemon snap the constant camera changes near articuno were for any run-based reason? I'm unfamiliar with the run, and I got the feeling that it was entirely to minimize the time that un-edited jynx was clear on camera while still allowing for a good picture of pika/articuno to be taken. I can really respect putting in extra work to try to avoid it.

This pokemon randomizer is already off to a hilariously lopsided start against our runners. Seems like it will be a good watch if you're into this type of game, with a fun crew.

This pokemon randomizer is already off to a hilariously lopsided start against our runners. Seems like it will be a good watch if you're into this type of game, with a fun crew.
Yeah, these guys are always great and the RNG is being super spiteful towards them. So good.

I already watch a couple of these guys regularly, but just having 4 people cooperating creates a lot of banter that makes the run stay interesting even in a slow part. I think it was a good idea for an RPG run that can be a bit "brute force" at times.

Felt bad for the Super Mario Sunshine 120 shines runner. About 40 mins in he wasn’t watching his lives and got a game over. No back up saves, so he had to start over. They are just having him play as much as possible within his estimate so he has to play for another two and a half hours and won’t get to finish.

Felt bad for the Super Mario Sunshine 120 shines runner. About 40 mins in he wasn’t watching his lives and got a game over. No back up saves, so he had to start over. They are just having him play as much as possible within his estimate so he has to play for another two and a half hours and won’t get to finish.

Oof, that sounds rough. I just woke up to the end of Deeeer Simulator, which frankly was more than I needed before work. Really bizarre game.

Oof, that sounds rough. I just woke up to the end of Deeeer Simulator, which frankly was more than I needed before work. Really bizarre game.
Yeah it was pretty sad. The couch was relatively quiet for the next forty minutes as he redid everything though thankfully donations flew in to cheer the runner up. They did decide to at least beat Bowser before their time was up. I think he finished at 88 shines?

Alert to all rhythm game fans, there is a great stepmania doubles exhibition on right now, possibly followed by another rhythm game if an incentive is met. I won't be able to stay awake to watch the whole thing, but it's already fantastic!

The movement in this Doom Eternal run is insane, real blink and you'll miss something stuff.

Oof, the rare unmet incentive, and for a pokemon run no less. They weren't even close! Too bad, I'm interested in how glitchy BDSP can get, given the condition it released in.

Oof, the rare unmet incentive, and for a pokemon run no less. They weren't even close! Too bad, I'm interested in how glitchy BDSP can get, given the condition it released in.
Yeah, it's a shame. The any% speedrun is a grab bag of funny glitches and it deserved a stage at GDQ.

Folks should watch this Ocarina of Time beta exhibition. I'm sure it's all known in some form already, but it's something to see it all in action. I wasn't familiar with the upgrading masks that would return for Majora's Mask. And some of the beta flavor text is really interesting too.

Edit: Woah this whole gerudo cutscene is awesome, and we're only half through. Definitely an interesting highlight.

Edit 2: Holy cats! The running man! Definitely don't miss this!

Final Edit?: This is genuinely magical as someone who grew up hyped for this game. II can't believe I haven't seen this stuff running before. Is this not widely accessible? I feel like I should have seen this all over.

Fiiiiinal Edit:
Ok, the text is faked, but they still did magical work. I'm a little angry that they made me feel something. I can't believe what they did here. It's a fantastic/evil joke. It runs wild right up until the end. The work they put into this is extremely impressive. It feels so professional.

One of the all time great GDQ moments. I'm so glad I stayed up to see it live. I felt some rare emotions during this.

Last edited:
Okay, so.. unfortunately this week turned out to be quite stressful for me personally, so I've missed out on anything so far, and as often is the case with GDQ for me, I've amassed a bit of. backlog.

I'm definitely gonna watch:

Kirby and the Forgotten Land
The Pathless
Link’s Awakening
Odyssey
FFVI Randomizer
Tunic
Sunshine
Solar Ash
Celeste

And the aforementioned OoT run!

Hope I can catch the finale live at least.

I really enjoyed SGDQ this year! The many Mario runs, F-Zero GX, and Metroid Dread were my favorites :)

So many runs I missed this year that I wanted to watch but will have to catch the vod of. Gonna have a lot of fun background watching on days I'm WFH.

I'm glad I'm caught the Emerald Rando run though, that was the best run out of the ones I saw.

It was an amazing time in person this week!! They really did everything they possibly could to keep us safe and healthy, and they deserve a LOT of credit for that. Very few cases of covid that I'm seeing coming out of the event. It was so intimate and wonderful to get to meet so many new and different people. Lower key, but a great, great crowd!!

Started watching a couple of the VODs on their YT page:

Absolutely kicking myself for not picking up COGEN when it was available for pre-order on LRG as the demo didn't really grab me that much and it felt kinda rough. I'll have to get this out of the eShop at some point because if they've put more effort into it since the demo it really looks like a hidden gem that people missed (and honestly surprised that people like Chris Carter at Dtoid completely passed on because Mega Man Zero-likes is their sort of thing)

Speed running old school adventure games might be my new favorite thing. I'm maybe 10 minutes into this but this is incredibly wholesome so far with bad puns, costumes, and a sing-along.

Back
Top Bottom