• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Street Fighter 6 [PS|XBS|PC] Pre-release Discussion Thread (Updates in Threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him
Street Fighter 6 Header

Welcome to a New Era!

A new era for fighting games begins in 2023!
The evolution of fighting games starts with our traditional Fighting Ground,
and then we're turning the genre on its head with World Tour and Battle Hub
for a total of three modes where anyone can play to their liking.
No one starts off as a champion. You get there step by step, punch by punch.
Take up the challenge and bring your game to the next level.​

Trailers:

Revealed Fighters:
Click for full-sized images.

Ryu
Luke
Jamie
Chun-Li
Guile
Kimberly
Juri
Ken
Blanka
Dhalsim
E. Honda
Dee Jay
Manon
Marisa
JP
Zangief
Lily
Cammy
?

Game Modes:

Fighting Ground
Fighting Ground:
Street Fighter 6 unites core fighting modes from previous titles — including Arcade Mode, online matches, Training Mode, local versus battles and more — to the Fighting Ground experience.
World Tour
World Tour:
World Tour is a single-player immersive story mode that pushes the boundaries of what a fighting game is and allows players to leave their own legacy with their player avatar.
Battle Hub
Battle Hub:
Battle Hub is a destination that provides players with new and unique ways to engage, communicate and interact.

Miscellaneous:

Accessibility — A Modern Control Type for Everyone:

For those who are worried that fighting game inputs are too complicated and just want to unleash your inner fighter, we have a solution in the form of a new control type option. First off, Classic Control Type is what veterans can expect to use for inputs with its six-button layout. New to Street Fighter 6 is the Modern Control Type, which allows for easier inputs where a special move can be performed by combining the “Special Move” button with one directional input. This is perfect for newer players or those who may have found classic command inputs a bit too difficult in the past. With the Modern Control Type, your character will perform some of their flashiest (and best) attacks with just a few button presses. Modern Control Type is optional, but we highly recommend new players give it a try!

Platforms:
PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC (Steam)

Release Date:
2023/06/02

Official Website:

Last edited:
Can we discuss the roster leak?

SF6.png

Dee Jay being back is a shock. All of the newcomers are looking good.
Always fine as long as we are using spoiler tags, I would say.

Those designs are so good, especially Cammy's re-design.

Guys, we are going to design a mexican fighter, what do we do?

F L A G

It doesn't offend me but damn, they could put some more effort.

Resident manfromthedam doing the rounds through threads of games he likely won't play but is interested in from an academic standpoint:

This looks kinda amazing. Great use of colour, re-thinking of what a "street fighter" is, character redesigns that add a lot in a tasteful way, cool gameplay innovation with that World Mode and interesting new tone.

on a more critical note, video game voice acting does nothing for me except making me cringe =P .

World Tour having you create an avatar and do your thing is something that has the potential of being amazing if it is being done well enough. Imagine picking one of the fighters to be your mentor to adapt their fighting style as a base. As you travel the world, you meet the rest of the roster and potentially decide to learn from one of them as well, maybe picking up some of their moves along the way.

Overall character progression could have RPG elements, even. There seems to be light exploration based on the trailer as well.

If it is interesting enough, I could see myself playing that mode for ages.

Luke is still wack but [roster leak]:

Rashid looks incredible and so do most of the other newcomers and old characters

I am over the moon with what they've shown so far. Seeing SF come out swinging in such a big way after the sanitized non-entity that was V fills me with confidence. Those Final Fight + SFIII aesthetics are really doing it for me.

Using meter in combination with the walls to fish for stuns feels inspired and 'brawl-y' to me, seems like a good design choice that fits with both the theme of the series and with how it has played through the years. Overall movement looks a bit slower, maybe, but offense has a lot of forward momentum, while some defensive options, like the parry, actually cause you to lose a bit of ground. It's going to be interesting to see how easy it is to gain Drive meter, and how the Drive options balance against one another in different scenarios.

A bit surprised at how safe the roster is, but I suppose it's the aspect of the game that can backfire the most, and they were already taking a risk with the artstyle. The 8 World Warriors back, again, with Cammy and Akuma not sitting this one out either. Dee Jay is the biggest surprise for a few reasons (that redesign, though), while Gief, Dhalsim and Blanka are the most disappointing in terms of just being their basic selves. Hoping for surprises in the gameplay department there.

Also very surprising: no Alpha or SFIII characters at all in your 90s comeback game, Capcom? If that's the price to pay for more newcomers, I'll take it, but wow. At least Juri and Rashid are looking excellent. Don't care much for Ed's take on Hot Girl Summer Iori Yagami, or Ken's dollar store Garou Terry cosplay. And no G or Rose yet is somewhat surprising as well.

The newcomers, I like a lot overall. Lots of women, very tame designs for SF, and there's even a big body woman on the roster, at last!

So yeah, very positive on the game so far, and eager to see more.

I bet you it won’t, Capcom never ported SSF4 for Switch so SF4 is stuck on the 3DS
well by the time drake comes out (2025 at the latest imo) SFVI would still be relevant with updates for a few more years. SF4 was pretty much dead when the Switch was out and I doubt Capcom would have seen a good business opportunity to port it.

Next fighter reveal(s) will probably be in early August at EVO, if I had to take a guess? Will be interesting to see if the roster leak is comprehensive or if they still have a couple of surprises.

22 fighters at launch sounds about right to me.

I am over the moon with what they've shown so far. Seeing SF come out swinging in such a big way after the sanitized non-entity that was V fills me with confidence. Those Final Fight + SFIII aesthetics are really doing it for me.

Using meter in combination with the walls to fish for stuns feels inspired and 'brawl-y' to me, seems like a good design choice that fits with both the theme of the series and with how it has played through the years. Overall movement looks a bit slower, maybe, but offense has a lot of forward momentum, while some defensive options, like the parry, actually cause you to lose a bit of ground. It's going to be interesting to see how easy it is to gain Drive meter, and how the Drive options balance against one another in different scenarios.

A bit surprised at how safe the roster is, but I suppose it's the aspect of the game that can backfire the most, and they were already taking a risk with the artstyle. The 8 World Warriors back, again, with Cammy and Akuma not sitting this one out either. Dee Jay is the biggest surprise for a few reasons (that redesign, though), while Gief, Dhalsim and Blanka are the most disappointing in terms of just being their basic selves. Hoping for surprises in the gameplay department there.

Also very surprising: no Alpha or SFIII characters at all in your 90s comeback game, Capcom? If that's the price to pay for more newcomers, I'll take it, but wow. At least Juri and Rashid are looking excellent. Don't care much for Ed's take on Hot Girl Summer Iori Yagami, or Ken's dollar store Garou Terry cosplay. And no G or Rose yet is somewhat surprising as well.

The newcomers, I like a lot overall. Lots of women, very tame designs for SF, and there's even a big body woman on the roster, at last!

So yeah, very positive on the game so far, and eager to see more.
Next fighter reveal(s) will probably be in early August at EVO, if I had to take a guess? Will be interesting to see if the roster leak is comprehensive or if they still have a couple of surprises.

22 fighters at launch sounds about right to me.

There are a few more characters that haven't been leaked.

The middle Non-World Warriors veteran row doesn't curve off like the other two. A leak that accurately described a lot of these newcomers said the base roster was 25 characters and listed Rose as one of the veterans.

I bet you it won’t, Capcom never ported SSF4 for Switch so SF4 is stuck on the 3DS

SF V was already out over a year when the Switch came out and as you say, SF IV was so old it even came out on the 3DS (at launch!).

Big big chance 6 comes to Drake as it’s also not exclusive like V was.

Did anyone else get Splatoon vibes when the trailer first started? The city looked very Splatoon-esq to me haha.

This looks great, I’ll likely wait and buy it when the inevitable Ultra Super Deluxe editions come out.

Really like the roster with a few exceptions. Looking forward to seeing the extra few slots, and I'm sure the DLC will fill things up nicely regardless.

The Italian guy and Deejay are great. Wish they'd dump Rashid though, and the evil guy/girl look lame. But they might be cool in motion so the only big fumble is Rashid.

Edit: Just saw Guile. He's not as bad as Rashid but still a boring pick imo. Glad that Dhalsim dropped the turban and Zangief just looks exactly the same lmao

Last edited:
Did anyone else get Splatoon vibes when the trailer first started? The city looked very Splatoon-esq to me haha.

This looks great, I’ll likely wait and buy it when the inevitable Ultra Super Deluxe editions come out.
Not only that, but the big color splashes also immediately reminded me of Splatoon. It wouldn’t surprise me that they were inspired by one of the biggest online multiplayer games in Japan.

Chun-Li's new design is fantastic. The poise, the facial expression, bringing the character's cultural background more confidently to the fore ... I only wish the hands-folded-behind-back fighting style from the cinematics carried over into the actual gameplay.

Juri is a weird case study. The outfit is still outrageous, but because of the more, erm, athletic proportions it doesn't register on first or second or third glance.

I wasn't super excited after the trailer, but that character leak last night pulled me right in.

Thanks for making the thread!

Love me some Street Fighter, but the new art style and character designs are not doing it for me. I prefer the overly stylized art direction of prior entries. Do not like Chun Li's new design. Will keep an eye on it.

I'm so out of touch with the SF games but seeing this in motion it looks great. I was seriously worried by the teaser they put out a few months ago. Absolutely loving the ink flourishes returning (where they in V? I remember that was a big thing in the footage I saw of IV).

I'm so out of touch with the SF games but seeing this in motion it looks great. I was seriously worried by the teaser they put out a few months ago. Absolutely loving the ink flourishes returning (where they in V? I remember that was a big thing in the footage I saw of IV).
Similarly out of the loop myself. Last SF I played was USF4 on PS3, but I am super excited for this one.

I want to be able to play this in handheld. It’s becoming apparently obvious I need a steamdeck

This is just me being stupid, but I could not shake the slight sense of familiarity all day and now I figured it out.

nEfM4Lr.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that leak about the supposed Final Fight reboot turned out to be true after all...

... only that it ended up being cancelled as a standalone game and instead rolled into SF6 as the new single player mode! :D

I have to chuckle at some more SNK-isms in some of the character designs. Ken looks like a broke down Garou!Terry, while Cammy looks more like Blue Mary!

But overall, I really like what I'm seeing.

Now...because these leaks have been confirmed by Capcom, are we still spoilering or nah?

I have to chuckle at some more SNK-isms in some of the character designs. Ken looks like a broke down Garou!Terry, while Cammy looks more like Blue Mary!

But overall, I really like what I'm seeing.

Now...because these leaks have been confirmed by Capcom, are we still spoilering or nah?
The leaks being accurate was rather certain from the beginning. My first instinct was to use spoiler tags so people who don't want to be spoiled don’t end up being spoiled itt.

With how widely circulated the leaks have become, it does seem like a pointless exercise at this point. I will still keep using them for now.

Last edited:
So hiw does the city-hub exploration work? Is that the single.player story mode? Seemed pretty fresh and interesting

So hiw does the city-hub exploration work? Is that the single.player story mode? Seemed pretty fresh and interesting
Yeah it's the story mode, "World Tour".
You create an avatar, explore the world, interact a bit with it, meet the main SF characters, and you engage in fights. Beyond that we don't know much yet, but it looks really ambitious !

I finally watched the trailer, wow that looks good!

Sad if this doesn't come to Switch 2.

You create an avatar, explore the world, interact a bit with it, meet the main SF characters, and you engage in fights. Beyond that we don't know much yet, but it looks really ambitious !
Love it!

To paraphrase was said by another at the other place: Capcom leapfrogging over the base notion of "copy MK's story mode" to instead copy MK DECEPTION's story mode is truly some next level shit.

Been way past time for single player modes in FGs to establish "a new standard" for the longest. Obviously, arcade/ladder modes aren't enough by themselves, but everybody's already getting tired of the visual novel or "cinematic" styled story modes other FGs have mainly used for the last two decades.

They do it right, and Capcom may have what it takes to truly deserve that leader spot in the genre, again.

Really excited for the potential of World Tour, as I already said previously.

Also super happy about the colourful splashes. It's a really striking design choice and I can't get enough of it already.

Plus, animations look great, attacks look weighty and somewhat reminiscent of Tekken imo with the meaty hit-stuns. Great stuff all around.

I hope they change Deejay's moves pretty dramatically. He's one of my favorite designs that I never wanted to play as.

Now if we're talking favorite designs that are fun as hell to play as...
dhalsim-thawk.gif

DLC1?

Now if we're talking favorite designs that are fun as hell to play as...
dhalsim-thawk.gif

DLC1?
Considering the presence of the Native American lass that's representing Mexico in the leak, I'm at least expecting some storyline beats that refer to Hawk. Now, whether he and Fei actually join their fellow New Challengers on the roster one day is anyone's guess, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom