• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Steam Steam bans Applications built on blockchain technology

Mazzle

Animetrash
Pronouns
He/Him
SteamBanner1.jpg.7a288efe4f7a827affed5a6361d4bccd.jpg

Valve updated their Rules and Guidelines under their Steam Onboarding site and added the following point:
13. Applications built on blockchain technology that issue or allow exchange of cryptocurrencies or NFTs
under their "What you shouldn’t publish on Steam" guidelines.

Today, game creators are reporting that their games utilising NFTs are being removed from the platform. Below, the Twitter account for Age Of Rust – in which players “collect in-game NFTs” –
announced that “Steam will be kicking all blockchain games off the platform, including Age Of Rust“.
- NME

Based on what the devs in this twitter thread are saying, the reason for Valve to removes these games is,
because they don't allow items that have real world value on their platform.

Source: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/steam-is-removing-nft-games-from-the-platform-3071694

Uncharacteristically quick response from Valve. Still, this is a very good step. Last thing we need is kids getting sucked into pyramid schemes through these games.

Some of the posts on twitter are absolutely insane.
I haven't touch my #Steam ever since discovering #Blockchains and #NFTs. #Gaming just doesn't feel the same anymore without #NFTs. No #NFTs No Play!
Apparently there's this NFT Steam competitor called Ultra which "rewards" you for getting people to sign up and "pays" you for promoting products sold on it. And of course people who have NFTs from these games already have an inherent incentive to get as many people in these markets as possible to increase demand for their NFTs. So all this shit just seems to be thousands of pyramid schemes cloaked in the language of a new technology.

So yeah no wonder even steam wants nothing to do with it.

Got the initial news from Ryan Brown @Toadsanime on twitter and reacted with it with a meme and now have a crypto-bro or two with their usual schtick:
"You're clueless", "You don't understand it" and the classic "stay poor".

Anyway, here are some exampled of NFT scam in games:

Got the initial news from Ryan Brown @Toadsanime on twitter and reacted with it with a meme and now have a crypto-bro or two with their usual schtick:
"You're clueless", "You don't understand it" and the classic "stay poor".

Always love to see people actualizing Black Mirror-esque fantasies of gamifying labor by willingly burning their time in a rat race on the off chance it earns them a share of the money crypto.

Look who chimes in:

and man it only took them 3 weeks to change their minds:

How can someone who created so many groundbreaking games and graphic engines be also so dumb at the same time?

I'm glad that VALVE bans them.

Great to see, I did not see how these type of games would innovate the gaming landscape anyway. instead I think it would only push more developers towards quick and dirty games if they would become a trend.

Man if all these processing data was used to help data analisis from yhings that can help humanity I'll be all abord.

Be Nasa astonomy data, be medicinal DNA analisis...

But... find hashs? As much waste of resources as politicinas that only cares about the next election.

Sounds like someone that doesn't understand Bitcoin
I understand it just fine. Crypto (again, of any kind) is a pyramid scheme veiled in technological obscurantism so people don't realize it's the same song and dance it's always been. It's unregulated speculative capitalism at its worst that not only makes those already wealthy wealthier on the back of people roped into their scheme, it actively harms the environment in catastrophic ways. Irredeemable technology.

Here's a good article you should read (sorry didn't realize it'd embed like it did)

And another insightful resource.

Last edited:
I understand it just fine. Crypto (again, of any kind) is a pyramid scheme veiled in technological obscurantism so people don't realize it's the same song and dance it's always been. It's unregulated speculative capitalism at its worst that not only makes those already wealthy wealthier on the back of people roped into their scheme, it actively harms the environment in catastrophic ways. Irredeemable technology.

Here's a good article you should read (sorry didn't realize it'd embed like it did)

And another insightful resource.
Again, you don't what you're talking about. And peddling proganda doesn't help you.

Back
Top Bottom