• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Star Wars |ST| SW fans cannot help what they are. Their passion leaves a trail. The enthusiasm for Star Wars is like an itch. They cannot help it.

Well there's a trick they pulled that I never noticed.
main-qimg-8283c9585025affa7fb0d8fe7222fd96-c

There's a bunch of non-novel Star Wars Kindle stuff on sale at present, just happened to notice based on the things Amazon was recommending to me.

In addition to that there are a lot of comic volumes for $2 as well, mostly stuff from 2019 and earlier.

The second half of Revenge of the Sith is an uncomfortable watch nowadays, for an american paying attention to.. america

091fqi6.gif

I'm watching the Clone Wars series and boy, I'm not a fan of this jumping around episodes to get the chronological order. I guess I can watch as normal about halfway through, but Disney+ should have a chronological watch feature.

I'm watching the Clone Wars series and boy, I'm not a fan of this jumping around episodes to get the chronological order. I guess I can watch as normal about halfway through, but Disney+ should have a chronological watch feature.
Do it normal-way.

It's supposed to be like that.

Not the chronological way.

Also:

Clone Wars chronology is a bit weird when you look at an episode list and see something like a season 3 episode being between two season 1 episodes... but the episodes/arcs are basically so much their own thing it doesn't matter. Anything they want you to know, they have the announcer shout at you in the first ten seconds.

Obi-Wan Episode 1 thoughts:
  • Oh... oh damn, they're starting here? 😳
  • "So try not to make anyone cry" OMG ❤️
  • Of course she's a scamp
  • JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST THAT'S SUNG KANG HOLY SHIT
  • I'm just so happy to see more of Alderaan
  • Rip that racist little shit to shreds, girl 🤘
  • So when the workday is over they just... leave all that meat?
See, I know The Mandalorian deserves a lot of the love it gets, but when I heard they were gonna make Star Wars series for streaming, this is more what I had in mind. 👍

So what say you, fam? Should I watch the second episode and take this party to midnight?
lol joke's on yall, I already hit the button 😏

Obi-Wan Episode 2 thoughts:
  • He uh... keeps calling out to Qui-Gon, doesn't he?
  • Dude wtf Kumail Nanjiani is a showoff as a superhero and he's a showoff as a Jedi. 🤣 (I don't believe he's a Jedi)
  • Knew it
  • More like Obi-Wan Karate amirite????
  • "Well, everybody bleeds." He was almost sassy. Almost. kylorenmore.gif
  • "It's just.. you seem kinda old and beat up" I know I do, princess, thank you for seeing me.
  • The lizard dude is fuckin cool goddamn
  • "Granddaughter maybe" whereisthechill.jpg
  • I still can't get over the fact that that's Han from Tokyo Drift
  • Lol the inquisitor did an Ezio
  • "Is it that hard to believe you might have friends?" It's like they wrote Leia to speak directly at me.
  • Coming fresh off a viewing of the prequels I gotta say, the fact that they use real light-emitting blades on set now instead of just compositing one in makes such a difference. The way the light bounces off the actors and the set is so awesome.
  • ...there it is.

Only saw episode 1 tonight, but I’m definitely intrigued! Not enough Obi-Wan so far, but I guess that will change moving forward. Good hook for the adventure I wasn’t expecting. Looking forward to seeing episode 2 tomorrow.

Opening thoughts they’ve shown Order 66 multiple times, but that was one of the more brutal. Surprised Disney didn’t delay it again given recent events. I’d be surprised if this topic isn’t the bulk of discussion tomorrow.

Dang, I really do be crying all the time now when I watch Star Wars stuff. I just finished episode one and

When little Leia came on screen, I immediately teared up.

I also love how the Inquisitors look. Reva is awesome. I'm curious about her and why she is the way she is. I wonder how Obi Wan and her story intertwine.

Super excited for Andor (and Willow actually).

Ok, I've had time to sleep and recover.....

• Seeing Ewan back in Star Wars just makes everything feel right.
  • Obi-wan is definitely giving me Luke in The Last Jedi vibes with his pessimistic outlook.
  • Tattooine felt kind of washed out? IDK It felt a lot more bland then what I am used to.
  • Alderaan looked pretty, the little that they showed.
  • OMG we get kid Princess Leia!
  • Seriously, they casted this kid perfectly. She is using the force already!
  • Ok so that chase scene was hilariously bad, but I'll let it pass.
  • My only gripe with this episode was there were two or three times where it cut to black and I though the episode was over, until more came up. That is always a pet peeve of mine.
  • It did drag a little bit, but nothing terrible.

• I blinked and this episode was over. It went fast.
  • Kumail was great comic relief. I hope we get a little more of him.
  • They are telegraphing a Liam Neeson cameo so much. It is going to happen.
  • Reva is a great character, but I have so many questions. Why is she obsessed with Obi-Wan? How does she know Darth Vader is Anakin? Did she really just kill the inquisitor?
  • That Anakin/Vader shot at the end. OMG!

Is it next Friday already?

Loved those two Obi-Wan eps.

I'll admit, after Rebels and Fallen Order, I've gotten more than a bit tired of more stories taking place in this "Dark Times" era. But in the end...it's Obi-Wan. Couldn't resist!

Reva opting to NOT mind-probe Owen for the sake of canon convenience aside, this is a pretty fun ride so far. Lil Leia is everything.

Yeah, I've just watched the first two episodes and enjoyed myself. Ewan McGregor is going to go through a lot of stress to become Alec Guinness in 10 years, though.

Edit - I do kinda wish I'd watched the prequels ahead of time, though. I think it's been a couple of years since I last watched them, at least.

Are these coming out on Fridays now or was it just for these two?
Next is June 1, so seems it will be Wednesdays like the originally announced start date.
Enjoyed episode 2 a lot. Didn’t think Obi Wan wouldn’t know by now Vader was alive.
Yeah. Seems like Vader is a well-known bogeyman by the time of the OT, and already at this mid point everyone's familiar with Inquisitors even at podunk Tatooine. Are we supposed to think Vader was keeping a relatively low profile during the first decade?
Edit - I do kinda wish I'd watched the prequels ahead of time, though. I think it's been a couple of years since I last watched them, at least.
I thought it was pretty funny they tried to cram as much of the prequel trilogy as possible into a few minutes at the beginning. Just missing a voiceover saying "Previously on Star Wars".

Yeah. Seems like Vader is a well-known bogeyman by the time of the OT, and already at this mid point everyone's familiar with Inquisitors even at podunk Tatooine. Are we supposed to think Vader was keeping a relatively low profile during the first decade?
I took it less that Vader was keeping a low profile and more that Obi-Wan was just that far disconnected.
Plus Obi-Wan's in the outer rim, where I assume Vader doesn't venture much. Certainly not Tatooine. The people there probably only even know about the Inquisitors because they actively tracked a Jedi there. If the Inquisitors hadn't gone to the planet themselves I doubt its residents would have a clue about them.

Enjoyed episode 2 a lot. Didn’t think Obi Wan wouldn’t know by now Vader was alive.
Obi Wan lived in a cave, with a bunch of scraps. He probably didn't talk with anyone, or do anything like that. He also lived in the outer rim too, where they probably didn't know the coming and going of the empire.

Episode 1 was ok, but Episode 2 was really solid, imo. Thank the Force we're off Tatooine

General thoughts

That opening episode really hammered home that the premise of this series was basically "hm, we haven't milked prequel nostalgia yet!"

That being said, the other premise of this series: "hey we should do an origin story for "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"", is actually pretty neat (I'd bet money on the last part of the show being a flash forward to that line). Little Leia is amazing and one of the highlights of the show. But between this and Rogue One, soon we'll have an origin story for basically every line in A New Hope. Can't wait for Luke Hunting Womp Rats: a Disney+ Miniseries

Overall, Episode 2 gave me a lot of Clone Wars vibes in the best ways, so that was neat. Plus the obvious Rebels connections with the yep-he's-totally-dead-guys-trust-us Grand Inquisitor. I'm curious why Reva hates Obi-Wan so much, but I'm guessing it's something coming off of the Episode 1 cold open. Maybe he fails to help her Padawan class or something?

Also yeah Obi-Wan is just The Last Jedi Luke, but with a lot more experience in his belt. You can basically see him shaking off his rust in Episode 2 and starting to become the Jedi he once was, and the neat thing is we have a lot more of an idea who that was than we did with Luke. We've seen Obi Wan in pretty similar situations to this before.

Edit: Also, missed opportunity to include Hondo Ohnaka, but I guess this is the part of the timeline where he's sorta mellowed out from child kidnapping

I'm enjoying Obi-Wan Kenobi quite a lot.

Just watched the third episode.

Okay, after watching the third episode I can safely say it's not a fluke—I like this show a lot.

I'm endlessly appreciative that we aren't getting a third Tattooine sidequests show, and that we're getting as many surprised as we are.

• instead of mulling around in the desert like I'd expected, we've properly visited at least four planets so far, including Alderaan, Mustafar
  • acknowledgement of things introduced jn Disney-era Star Wars, making it feel more alive, such as a significant amount of this week's episode taking place at Vader's castle which was introduced in Rogue One (cool!!!)
  • identifiable and distinct episode themes. This week's theme was "the pitfalls of trusting without reservation, and the cynicism that comes with a sense of self-preservation"

Okay, after watching the third episode I can safely say it's not a fluke—I like this show a lot.

I'm endlessly appreciative that we aren't getting a third Tattooine sidequests show, and that we're getting as many surprised as we are.

• instead of mulling around in the desert like I'd expected, we've properly visited at least four planets so far, including Alderaan, Mustafar
  • acknowledgement of things introduced jn Disney-era Star Wars, making it feel more alive, such as a significant amount of this week's episode taking place at Vader's castle which was introduced in Rogue One (cool!!!)
  • identifiable and distinct episode themes. This week's theme was "the pitfalls of trusting without reservation, and the cynicism that comes with a sense of self-preservation"
I was on the same boat as you.

I was wondering if I was just tricking myself, but I think we're in good hands on this for the time being. In all fairness, I'm still processing it all, but my initial thoughts are that I like what I see, at least at this moment.

Obi-Wan Episode 3 thoughts:
  • Not a whole lot left of Anakin's body, is there?
  • I was wondering if it was still gonna James Earl Jones doing the voice or if they'd move to distorting Hayden's. Guess that answers that.
  • The mole dude seeming like a decent guy but having the perspective of "I like the empire because law and order!" is a super uncomfortable thing to watch as an american
  • I thought the craziest thing in this show would be Vader's showdown to Obi-Wan, turns out it's his proximity to Leia.
  • UGH that lightsaber draw, tho
  • Wait he ran
  • Okay there's the fight. Yeeaah woom woom go the shineswords
  • Anakin still dramatic af
  • Why didn't Vader just walk through those flames and get Obi-Wan? It's not like he's never handled being burned before
Also I don't guess this is a spoiler but I just saw some names in the credits that made me do some googling and apparently it isn't Hayden in the suit, even after all the fanfare about him coming back and all the interviews where he talked about how amazing it was to put the suit back on. That's... disappointing.

I'm curious why Reva hates Obi-Wan so much, but I'm guessing it's something coming off of the Episode 1 cold open. Maybe
I haven't watched episode 3 yet, so sorry if that already answered it - but IIRC Vader's identity wasn't common knowledge, yet she knew it. She could blame Obi-Wan for his fall.

It'd have to be more complex than that though, because she's serving Vader now - who should ultimately be who anyone blames for the events at the temple that day.

Obi-Wan Episode 3 thoughts:
  • Not a whole lot left of Anakin's body, is there?
  • I was wondering if it was still gonna James Earl Jones doing the voice or if they'd move to distorting Hayden's. Guess that answers that.
  • The mole dude seeming like a decent guy but having the perspective of "I like the empire because law and order!" is a super uncomfortable thing to watch as an american
  • I thought the craziest thing in this show would be Vader's showdown to Obi-Wan, turns out it's his proximity to Leia.
  • UGH that lightsaber draw, tho
  • Wait he ran
  • Okay there's the fight. Yeeaah woom woom go the shineswords
  • Anakin still dramatic af
  • Why didn't Vader just walk through those flames and get Obi-Wan? It's not like he's never handled being burned before
Also I don't guess this is a spoiler but I just saw some names in the credits that made me do some googling and apparently it isn't Hayden in the suit, even after all the fanfare about him coming back and all the interviews where he talked about how amazing it was to put the suit back on. That's... disappointing.

I think the only thing that would make sense with letting Obi-Wan go is Vader thinking it could lead him to other rebels, he wants to know who is helping him basically
I mean he put out the fire with the force like two seconds before that and he lives on Mustafar so him being scared of fire would be some very strange writing

The problem with Star Wars is any discussion about force-related or Stormtrooper-related plot holes can go right the way back to the first films.

"After Obi-Wan died. why didn't the Stormtroopers just shoot Luke, Han and Leia, they were just standing out in the open in a massive hangar."

"After Luke jumps down the shaft in Cloud City, why didn't Vader just grab and lift him with the Force, he'd been mind throwing all sorts of heavy objects at him already."

At a certain point, you just have to go with the fact that characters will go with whatever makes for the most melodrama, not what makes logical sense.

A new Star Wars news update, summarizing what was covered at Anaheim.

The problem with Star Wars is any discussion about force-related or Stormtrooper-related plot holes can go right the way back to the first films.

"After Obi-Wan died. why didn't the Stormtroopers just shoot Luke, Han and Leia, they were just standing out in the open in a massive hangar."

"After Luke jumps down the shaft in Cloud City, why didn't Vader just grab and lift him with the Force, he'd been mind throwing all sorts of heavy objects at him already."

At a certain point, you just have to go with the fact that characters will go with whatever makes for the most melodrama, not what makes logical sense.
People have pointed out that the smartest play for the empire in ANH was tracking the Falcon back to the rebel base. They had no way of knowing the Leia rescue team made the mistake of bringing the death star plans with them, and should've therefore assumed the best move was to take out the rebels entirely ASAP.

With all that in mind, there's a somewhat common theory that the stormtroopers were ordered not to actually hit anyone. How believable that is is up to you.

Couple things related to Obi-Wan Kenobi:

• Reva's ending is being revised for a second season or spin-off.
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi is getting a second season.
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi is supposed to be 6 episodes.
  • The Grand Inquisitor is not dead (kinda obvious, but yeah).
  • It seems the Obi-Wan Kenobi series ending has changed overall.
  • Hayden Christensen does not play Darth Vader in every scene and does the close-up shots, among other scenes, from what I understand. The person you see in the Darth Vader suit generally is another big actor.

Other news besides stuff that is related to Obi-Wan Kenobi:

• Darth Maul is returning for Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order 2 (or whatever the sequel is called).
  • Disney is promising more Star Wars announcements at D23 Expo (where they announce more Disney-related stuff such as anything related to Marvel and other things). D23 Expo is from September 9 to 11 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Southern California.

Hayden is in the suit some of the time. Others have talked about him in the suit. But most likely not when dueling. Nothing new for Star Wars. Bob Anderson was in the suit for the duels in ESB and RotJ. Ewan also had a stunt double, likely for the dueling and other stunts. So Ewan doesn’t play Obi-Wan all the time either. Not really news.

Hayden is in the suit some of the time. Others have talked about him in the suit. But most likely not when dueling. Nothing new for Star Wars. Bob Anderson was in the suit for the duels in ESB and RotJ. Ewan also had a stunt double, likely for the dueling and other stunts. So Ewan doesn’t play Obi-Wan all the time either. Not really news.

I'm aware of the fencing doubles. Vader's fencing double here is Tom O'Connell, serving the role that Bob Anderson did back in the day. I get that, totally. But who I'm mostly talking about is Dmitrious Bistrevsky, who is the one I saw listed in the credits of the newest episode as Vader's body double and who is reported to "play Vader when he’s primarily standing or sitting." So if he has a fencing double, then another double for scenes where he's standing or sitting, and Jones is providing the voice, that leaves Hayden to do.. what?

This article talks about the "three Vaders," and points out that Hayden is playing Vader in scenes without his mask, like in the bacta tank:
There are possibly light spoilers in here so careful

And I've seen a few other articles like it (though all may be reporting off the same source) all claiming that there's a fencing double, a suit double, and then Hayden is in mask-off scenes. Which makes it sound like he's very rarely in the suit, if at all. And I am aware of all the talking and interviews and such where people talk about Hayden in the suit, which is why it was jarring to me to read this stuff about the doubles. Sounds like they're hyping up Hayden-in-the-suit as more of a marketing thing, unless they really are going to the trouble of having him there in the suit for chest-up shots, then bringing in the tall double just for wide shots. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to be able to say Hayden was there in the suit.

And admittedly, I'd be happy if they did go to the trouble. Again, I want redemption for Hayden's Vader. ❤️

Youtube is recommending me videos calling Obi-Wan "more character assassination by Disney" and I'm starting to wonder if anyone has maybe tried turning the internet off and on again.

Youtube is recommending me videos calling Obi-Wan "more character assassination by Disney" and I'm starting to wonder if anyone has maybe tried turning the internet off and on again.
I’ve seen a lot of people trying to say they Luke’d him from Last Jedi and it’s completely absurd to me.

this is what they went for there except Ben still cares about his friends. Just not anyone else. I liked how he told the other Jedi to get lost and he immediately saw the consequences for it when he got hung up in the town square after refusing to help. You can tell he’s been broken by what’s happened and has given up hope of fighting the empire or changing anything on a large scale …but he is still in there and sees a reason to protect people he cares about. It makes sense to see why Ben would be in the position he would be in following the revenge of the Sith and I don’t get how anyone could make a decent argument otherwise

But with the Last Jedi it just feels weird given where Return of the Jedi leaves off that Luke didn’t give damn about what happened to anyone else and is in exile just to be in exile. Miser Luke could have worked but the backstory they came up with that happened between movies to give a justification why he doesn’t care anymore felt contrived and it didn’t, imo come even close to justify him feeling no obligation to get involved when his friends lives we’re on the line… it just felt wrong and I’ll always have an issue with how he was portrayed in that movie.

Nothing that has happened with Ben so far felt out of character even a little bit. I don’t really know what people expected him to be like after that.

Last edited:
I’ve seen a lot of people trying to say they Luke’d him from Last Jedi and it’s completely absurd to me.

this is what they went for there except Ben still cares about his friends. Just not anyone else. I liked how he told the other Jedi to get lost and he immediately saw the consequences for it when he got hung up in the town square after refusing to help. You can tell he’s been broken by what’s happened and has given up hope of fighting the empire or changing anything on a large scale …but he is still in there and sees a reason to protect people he cares about. It makes sense to see why Ben would be in the position he would be in following the revenge of the Sith and I don’t get how anyone could make a decent argument otherwise

But with the Last Jedi it just feels weird given where Return of the Jedi leaves off that Luke didn’t give damn about what happened to anyone else and is in exile just to be in exile. Miser Luke could have worked but they up backstory that happened between movies to give a justification why he doesn’t care anymore felt contrived and it didn’t, imo come even close to justify him feeling no obligation to get involved when his friends lives we’re on the line felt wrong and I’ll always have an issue with how he was portrayed in that movie.

Nothing that has happened with Ben so far felt out of character even a little bit. I don’t really know what people expected him to be like after that.
The thing with Luke struck a serious chord with me, though, because I know what it's like to get hit with such a hard failure that you begin to honestly believe you'd make things worse by being involved. I was thoroughly engrossed by Luke's arc in Last Jedi and thought they communicated pretty well that while he cared, he had lost faith in himself and his ways and genuinely believed the best thing for his loved ones was for him to bow out.

That's why it bothers me so much when they call Luke's arc "character assassination." I was in tears during Last Jedi over how much I related to Luke. Then I went online and talked to my friends and had to listen to everyone telling me the character I saw myself in was shit.

It's a "me" problem for sure, but still.

Has anyone checked out the Rise of Skywalker Ascendant fanedit? I've watched quite a few of these, the prequel trilogy by the same person (HAL 9000) is pretty good but I don't know how much can be salvaged from TROS lol.

I also feel like Book of Boba Fett could definitely benefit from something like this...

Back
Top Bottom