• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Star Wars |ST| SW fans cannot help what they are. Their passion leaves a trail. The enthusiasm for Star Wars is like an itch. They cannot help it.

Has anyone seen this channel before?

They do a lot of Legend of Zelda music.

I do think that Zelda's Lullaby is overrated though...

(There, I said it.)

I gotta say, and ask.

Were the prequels really that bad? I mean, compared to the sequel trilogy, it's really a masterpiece. Brand new locations and setpieces, and it really shared a lot of parallels without actually copying the original trilogy wholesale.

Yes. The dialog is very edgy and cringy. But the thing is, so is pretty much everything that came out of the 2000's. People kind of talked that way.

As I look back at the prequels, I actually find a lot of joy in them. Yes, they have problems. But they at the very least create a unified, whole story. This also was able to be fleshed out greatly too.

I gotta say, and ask.

Were the prequels really that bad? I mean, compared to the sequel trilogy, it's really a masterpiece. Brand new locations and setpieces, and it really shared a lot of parallels without actually copying the original trilogy wholesale.

Yes. The dialog is very edgy and cringy. But the thing is, so is pretty much everything that came out of the 2000's. People kind of talked that way.

As I look back at the prequels, I actually find a lot of joy in them. Yes, they have problems. But they at the very least create a unified, whole story. This also was able to be fleshed out greatly too.
Plus, the memes are great!

I gotta say, and ask.

I don’t think they are great but I don’t think they are as bad as some make them out to be.
Then again people in their 20s who grew up with them seem to prefer them to the original trilogy which I think is way too far.

I will say I have only seen each movie on the sequel trilogy once and never rewatched them but I will happily rewatch the prequel films

I gotta say, and ask.

They really were a let down at the time. I was barely 10 when phantom menace came out, so I didn't know better. But I think of it this way, you peopled waited nearly 25 years for a "I am your father" moment and they got "I have the high ground"....... Expectations were never going to be fulfilled.

Masterpiece is a bit strong, as I've never really been able to sit through attack of the clones as an adult. On paper, the outline is rock solid, nearly a classic tragedy. It took care to botch the execution and only by the skin of its teeth with ROTS stick the landing of the whole thing and that's only with the benefit of hindsight. That the prequel works better when it was written (books/comics) than filmed means that on an important level, the FILMS failed. The story succeeded but these are MOVIES not CANNON DELIVERY DEVICES (lol) Just try to sit through attack of the clones or not chuckle darkly whenever the word 'younglings' is uttered....

The surrounding universe and media of the prequel era was on a whole pretty decent and that has also softened people's opinion of 'prequel things' over the years. It isn't uncommon to get into some prequel era stuff and just kind of slot the movies in as 'additional' media/stuff to watch, while at the time it was THE THING.

As to people in their 20s prefering to original trilogy, I'll say the following, as someone who was like 10/11 when the prequel thing started, I have a soft spot for a lot of it as it was my late childhood thing. I'm kind of on the fence on a whole.... Someone who grew up with the clone wars tv show and what not would easily (and rightly) like the prequel better. Its their star wars. And that's fine, in fact, that's good! In 20 years the sequel trilogy will be rehabilitated and lionized by a new group of young adults and thats how it should be as well! Memories of the OG Trilogy are fading and thats cool. Memories are designed to fade, its time to trade them in.

I don’t think they are great but I don’t think they are as bad as some make them out to be.
Then again people in their 20s who grew up with them seem to prefer them to the original trilogy which I think is way too far.

I will say I have only seen each movie on the sequel trilogy once and never rewatched them but I will happily rewatch the prequel films
Say what you will about the prequels, but they did draw kids in at that time though. The childish humor that was present throughout a lot of them really brought in a new generation of star wars fans, and made Star wars "the thing" for kids that grew up in the 2000's(invluding myself). It's no wonder why many prefer it to the originals. I'm not in that camp, but I can see why.

The sequel trilogy really hasn't had that reach at all. Kids nowadays don't talk about star wars at all, and the series seems to just want to capture old fans. Nowadays, Marvel has very much captured the mind share of kids nowadays. Really, the biggest things that I hear my students talk about are Marvel, and strangely, Nintendo Switch.

Nah mate.

The prequels came out at the same time as the Lord of the rings trilogy, Gladiator and the Matrix , all of which had way better dialogue. You even had stuff like Master and Commander coming out around this time, which is just an incredibly written blockbuster for any time period.

People didn't talk like the prequels in the early 2000s. Specifically: the prequels dialogue is deliberately written to emulate pulp sci fi and soap opera from the 40s and 50s. The OG trilogy was written this way too, but the prequels leant way harder into it. The main problem is that the originals had people other than Lucas to help the actors make the dialogue sound better. In the prequels, the actors were stuck with Lucas just telling them to act faster and more intense.

The dialogue was written in the style of a dated pulp b-movie, but there was no direction for the actors to lean into that or play to that style. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid are the only ones who appeared to work that bit out. Everyone else is just left to speak this stilted bilge as if it's straight drama, rather then hamming it up for the ripe cheese it is.

There's a lot to love about the prequels in terms of production design, backstory, plot outlines, etc, but there dialogue will always be utterly awful.

I gotta say, and ask.

I tend to feel the opposite. I really loathe the prequels and find absolutely zero joy in watching them (well, Ep 3 has a few fun moments). Whereas I love the Sequels (well, 2/3 of them. And some of the 3rd). I just feel like the sequels, although sometimes too slavishly devoted to the OT, are actually competently made films with characters I genuinely love.

But I know people really love the Prequels, and I love that for them. Everyone has a different relationship with Star Wars, and I think that's great. I'm still very excited for Kenobi with the return of Hayden and Ewan.

Oh, and speaking of the Sequels: it really feels like they're building up to some sort of announcement with Daisy Ridley/Rey at Celebration. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, though.

(Worth mentioning that I'm 24. I grew up with the prequels).

Nah mate.

The prequels came out at the same time as the Lord of the rings trilogy, Gladiator and the Matrix , all of which had way better dialogue. You even had stuff like Master and Commander coming out around this time, which is just an incredibly written blockbuster for any time period.

People didn't talk like the prequels in the early 2000s. Specifically: the prequels dialogue is deliberately written to emulate pulp sci fi and soap opera from the 40s and 50s. The OG trilogy was written this way too, but the prequels leant way harder into it. The main problem is that the originals had people other than Lucas to help the actors make the dialogue sound better. In the prequels, the actors were stuck with Lucas just telling them to act faster and more intense.

The dialogue was written in the style of a dated pulp b-movie, but there was no direction for the actors to lean into that or play to that style. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid are the only ones who appeared to work that bit out. Everyone else is just left to speak this stilted bilge as if it's straight drama, rather then hamming it up for the ripe cheese it is.

There's a lot to love about the prequels in terms of production design, backstory, plot outlines, etc, but there dialogue will always be utterly awful.
I see that,

And I raise you this:
The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions had the same problems of the prequel trilogy. I mean, just listen to this.

Lord of the Rings trilogy has amazing dialogue I give you that, but all of it was written in the style of Tolkien.... So yeah.

Kind of the same with Gladiator too.

Conversely, if you take a look at other 2000's era media, you might notice it being eerily similar. For example, the Raimi Spiderman films:

Mean Girls

Twilight

The 2000's were pretty much all, very cringy dialogue, just like the prequels. Of course, there's a few examples of it not being it. But the 2000's in general was extremely cringy. It's just the way people were. Actors truly just kind of went ham at the time, and it was very entertaining. I honestly don't think the prequels have worse dialogue than a lot of 2000's movies.

Limited run is doing physical copies for the switch version of force unleashed for those that want it

Also, click on that and the voice of Starkiller himself, Sam Witwer made a comment on it

I gotta say, and ask.

The prequel films are poorly / clumsily made, but have interesting ideas on paper. I grew up with and largely really like The Phantom Menace overall (I think if you exorcised Jar Jar Binks it’d get way less hate) and Revenge of the Sith is fairly decent though I like it less. Attack of the Clones is one of the top ten worst films I’ve ever seen and broke my heart growing up with how bad it was. It did thankfully spawn two great cartoon series, but that doesn’t in any way alter the awful quality of the film itself.

The sequel trilogy are far better made films. The Force Awakens is a largely forgettable retread of episode IV, but is still a solid film that I’ll take over II and III any day. The Last Jedi is easily the best of the six films we’re discussing here and promised such an exciting future for Star Wars not bound by bloodlines. The Rise of Skywalker is a stunningly salty betrayal of The Last Jedi’s values. You can easily make the argument that this is the worst film thematically of the six, though again it is at least filmed / made competently enough, though noticeably much worse than VII and VIII.

In terms of how much I enjoy them, it’s probably VIII > I > VII > III > IX > II for me probably. If you want to say how important to the story are the prequels versus the sequels, the prequels are going to win out especially as they added more to the mythos and IX dropped the ball that badly. The trilogy is overall the better collection of films though that I’d more enjoy watching and they don’t have anything as remotely as embarrassing as Jar Jar Binks.

While we are talking sequel trilogy, one thing I felt while watching it was I didn’t care for Kylo Ren and Adam Driver in the first film. I liked him far more in the Last Jedi and was really excited by him being set up as the villain in IX. In IX, Kylo was poorly handled like everyone else in the film and deserved far better, but I was fully convinced at that point Adam Driver was truly the best actor in the film lol.

Before IX, I rewatched, on a non specific basis, each of the movies, starting with the original movies and ending with the prequels (did not rewatch 7 & 8).

IMO, some bits didn’t aged well in almost every movie. The singing in Return of the Jedi was probably my « Emo Spider-Man 3 » moment of « What the ?! » for it lasted way too long. The whole Jabba the plot eat so much screentime. But after that, it’s pretty good (would’ve loved to kick C3P0‘s head during the Ewoks talk tho). Loved the Vader / Luke / Palpatine segments.

Empire is great but same thing, the opening is soooo long, like please, do something, movie.

One thing about Phantom Menace : the french voice for Anakin isn’t bad, back then I didn’t understand why people thought the actor was terrible but people were talking about the english version. The movie have its (many) problems (jarjar) but I still enjoyed the movie.

Call me mad but I didn’t cared too much about most of Clones problems.

I don’t have a lot of problems with Revenge, in fact it is one of my favorite.

I liked VII and VIII but IX was the moment the franchise said « Stop » to me. I’m glad the Skywalker Saga is done and would like a lot if the movies could move on. I’m ok with shows, games and stuff but this is way too much. I haven’t watched Bobba Fett but loved Mandalorian 1 & 2 (and waiting for 3).

This is a bit like the MCU, loved most of the movies during the Gauntlet arc but now that it is over, I’m not ready at all to embark again with this style of thing (witch now include shows like Wandavision -I liked it-) just to be up to date with the main story. I’m tired of this.

Limited run is doing physical copies for the switch version of force unleashed for those that want it

Also, click on that and the voice of Starkiller himself, Sam Witwer made a comment on it

I remember when people hyped this game to high heaven and then started hating it (well, a certain segment of the fandom anyways).

Now everyone says they loved it or something.

Fans, amirite?

I remember when people hyped this game to high heaven and then started hating it (well, a certain segment of the fandom anyways).

Fans, amirite?
Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Posters.jpg

I remember when people hyped this trilogy to high heaven and then started hating it (well, a certain segment of the fandom anyways).

Fans, amirite?

😉😉😉

I consider "The Last Jedi" the most interesting of the Star Wars movies , "The Rise of Skywalker" a good Sunday fun and "Rogue One" the BEST movie of the bunch 🤷‍♂️, Mandalorian is quite a show.

The first and second trilogies are horrible and cringy and i will never know why they got such a massive (and toxic) fandom, but that's me.

Yeah, I know.

Fucking love the prequel trilogy.

Fans are silly.
To add onto the force unleashed. I played the one that was on the Xbox 360 for a good while, beaten it on all difficulties, unlocked everything. It was a good game. Especially wrecking shit with the force.

Never played the Wii version but I know it’s basically a complete different game from the 360,PS3 and Pc version. Still, curious about that one so I may check it out as my May the fourth game

Star Wars Video Game Sale Confirmed for May 4

Star Wars Day, the May 4 holiday celebrating everything a galaxy far, far away, is less than a week away. Disney will be celebrating with a special event packed with announcements, reveals, and plenty of Star Wars content. That includes plans to celebrate Star Wars video games, too. In preparation, Disney is already sharing details about its plans for a special Star Wars Day sale on several major Star Wars video games.

To start, there are three major AAA Star Wars releases from recent memory that will be the focus of the Star Wars Day Sale. The first is the Celebration Edition of Star Wars Battlefront 2. Disney says to expect up to an 80% off discount. Second, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order's Standard and Deluxe Editions will be up to 75% off. And third, Star Wars: Squadrons will also be up to 75% off. All three games will be discounted between Friday, April 29, and Tuesday, May 10, so there's no rush to capitalize.

On top of the individual discounts for Star Wars Battlefront 2, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and Star Wars: Squadrons, Disney also will be bundling all three games together in a special package. The bundle with be discounted 70%, though the final price has yet to be confirmed. It should be available on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, as well as through multiple PC storefronts.

While the larger Star Wars games may be getting the focus, there will be plenty of discounts on smaller Star Wars games and DLC, too. For example, there's a healthy selection of classic Star Wars games to be discounted, including Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel, Star Wars: Republic Commando, and more.

As for discounted Star Wars DLC, Disney has a variety of options available. A special Star Wars Select Box will be offered through Disney Tsum Tsum, a free P1-XL mini-pet will be available in Star Wars: The Old Republic, Minecraft will have up to 33% off on its official Star Wars skins, and The Sims 4's Star Wars: Journey to Batuu DLC will be up to 40% off.

Needless to say, Star Wars fans should be able to pick up a variety of great video games and DLC at a discount as part of the Star Wars Day sale. Not all discounts will be available over the same period of time, so Star Wars fans should make sure and check when their platform of choice's Star Wars events will begin and end.

I guess as a heads-up: Star Wars Celebration should also be taking place next month.

Specifically: from May 26th to the 29th at Anaheim, California.

Star Wars Video Game Sale Confirmed for May 4

I guess as a heads-up: Star Wars Celebration should also be taking place next month.

Specifically: from May 26th to the 29th at Anaheim, California.
Neat. Might buy the original battlefront on stea. I have a bunch of other star wars games on there as well. I do hope it comes to switch though

Also saw Jeff Grubb saying fallen order 2 will release next year

Recently picked up a bootleg bluray of unrestored 4k scans of 35mm prints of the original trilogy called Star Wars Grindhouse. Best way to watch them, they really came alive with full grain, dirt, scratches, reel change markers and everything. Shoulda only made the first one, but def shoulda stopped after Jedi.

Last edited:
Anyone else keeping up with High Republic stuff? I've been reading the novels. Enjoyable enough, though with so many characters I start to lose track of who is who, especially since they don't really "stay in a lane", or in chronological order. A character introduced in one of the adult novels might have their story continue in a book for young readers. "OK, which talented but troubled padawan was this one again?" Haven't tried any of the comics.

Anyone else keeping up with High Republic stuff? I've been reading the novels. Enjoyable enough, though with so many characters I start to lose track of who is who, especially since they don't really "stay in a lane", or in chronological order. A character introduced in one of the adult novels might have their story continue in a book for young readers. "OK, which talented but troubled padawan was this one again?" Haven't tried any of the comics.
I bought the first book but haven't gotten around to it. I was going to do a book/comic/film/tv run through Star Wars but I decided to watch everything first before moving on to comics/books. I read Master & Apprentice and thought "it's gonna take a long time for me to get to everything on film/tv if I have to ready all the books inbetween" so I'm watching everything first.

I love it - I've been keeping up with everything for the most part. The adult novels are great and the three YA ones are pretty solid - I like the main comic run too. You can probably get by with just reading the three main novels, though you'll miss out on some references and stuff like that.

I’m not a huge Star Wars fan - I haven’t seen any of the D+ shows they’ve made so far. But the Obi-Wan show has my attention. I love just about everything Ewan has ever done so of course I’m on board for this.

Okay, so, my most anticipated items on this list are:

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

2. The Bad Batch

3. The Mandalorian

4. Andor

5. The Acolyte

6. Ahsoka

7. Rogue Squadron

8. Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie

9. Kevin Feige's Star Wars movie

Anyone else? What are your most anticipated?

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

2. The Bad Batch

3. The Mandalorian

4. Andor

5. The Acolyte

6. Ahsoka

7. Rogue Squadron

Taikaaaaaa ❤️

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

2. The Bad Batch

3. The Mandalorian

4. Andor

5. The Acolyte

6. Ahsoka

7. Rogue Squadron

The Acolyte and Taika's movie are waaaaay ahead of anything else for me, though I'm also super excited for more Mando and Obi Wan

Rewatching the prequels to prep for the Obi-Wan series. Just finished Phantom Menace, and the fact that the ceremony music at the end is just a happy version of Palpatine's theme really freaked me out. Hadn't watched the films since learning about that, and experiencing it as part of the movie rather than the reading of a trivia tidbit just hit different.

Onward to Hayden's debut!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom