• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Star Wars |ST| SW fans cannot help what they are. Their passion leaves a trail. The enthusiasm for Star Wars is like an itch. They cannot help it.

Wait...

Did you just start the show?

Where are you at?
That was the season 3 opening episode.

I finally got around to Andor and finished it yesterday. What a nice surprise this was for a franchise that has been a consistent disappointment for the last few years. I hope we get more of this and less of [points at everything else]
It really was well done, from the production to the writing. It utilized its connections to the universe but didn't rely on them. It stands on its own as a well-made and compelling show, and I find the franchise is better off for it.

In my honest opinion: Star Wars has been doing better from 2020 onward.

After the sequel trilogy, it's only been getting consistently better, imho.
Kenobi and Book of Boba Fett were both after that, so personally I'd suggest if it's all consistently better it's because Rise of Skywalker was a really low bar.

But that's because I kind of disliked those.

Trying not to evoke the image of a Hater here.

I’m ok with filler, I just think that Bad Batch episode needed a more interesting conflict than a big wave personally.

I’m ok with filler, I just think that Bad Batch episode needed a more interesting conflict than a big wave personally.
Yeah, agreed.

Star Wars kinda sucks when it handles "smaller-scale" stories (shows like Andor aside).

That was the season 3 opening episode.

It really was well done, from the production to the writing. It utilized its connections to the universe but didn't rely on them. It stands on its own as a well-made and compelling show, and I find the franchise is better off for it.

Kenobi and Book of Boba Fett were both after that, so personally I'd suggest if it's all consistently better it's because Rise of Skywalker was a really low bar.

But that's because I kind of disliked those.

Trying not to evoke the image of a Hater here.
Obi-Wan Kenobi was a great show and I loved it, in my honest opinion.

Also, yeah, Andor did what The Last Jedi could only try to do.

Wait it's not public..?

So like.. why have it? Who'll be there? I don't understand..
Neither do I.

It's invite-only, I think, but it's not going to show the trailers or anything really from the event except a few photos, from what I can tell.

Edit: So basically, there will be information, I think, but what's shown is private.

Neither do I.

It's invite-only, I think, but it's not going to show the trailers or anything really from the event except a few photos, from what I can tell.

Edit: So basically, there will be information, I think, but what's shown is private.
ooooh gotcha, so there will be people in attendance, but it's not open for everyone to just buy admission and go. okay.

Almost like a trade show in a way? Or something? Weird. Guess they expect to just bring influencers and youtubers in and let them spread the info/reveals/things

ooooh gotcha, so there will be people in attendance, but it's not open for everyone to just buy admission and go. okay.

Almost like a trade show in a way? Or something? Weird. Guess they expect to just bring influencers and youtubers in and let them spread the info/reveals/things
Actually, yeah, but the main thing I'll miss:

no "previews" or trailers released in general, it seems.

Just "We saw a trailer and it was great (says the audience member in attendance giving the details).

That's what the audience member secret recordings are for, filmed in hiding, shielded from the ever watchful gaze of the Mouse's Celebration Guards; after all, there's no better way to invigorate the series with a sense of wonder and excitement than blurry and shaky panel footage taken under threat of retributive torture.

I'd meant to touch on this in my earlier post:

On that note, I don't really get all the comparisons with Andor from this ep.

This could've been the basic plot of a Clone Wars episode, poltical intrigue, effed up ending and all.

I would suspect some of the comparisons come simply from Andor being the most recent comparison point with some surface similarities to point to (It even has the office cubicles!). Sometimes that's all it takes.

Beyond that the comparisons kind of fall flat. Sure, one could continue to compare them, but I wouldn't come away from that with the conclusion that this (ep. 3) is really like Andor in any meaningful way. And I find any actual attempt at comparison won't leave the Mando episode looking favorable -- for all the same reasons one might hold against it without invoking the other series.

Setting aside stage setting and blocking and lighting, characterization and writing and actir direction thereof, except as to the acknowledgement that these are essential elements of this subject, I'd suggest the strongest point of comparison is the new government's bureaucracy and the perceived political intrigue you've mentioned, and I'd suggest this intrigue isn't particularly strong.

The tension is reliant entirely on the directed knowledge that this former communications officer is obviously bad news.

The bureaucratic systems could be more effectively utilized to that end, sure, but they seem more like a superficial method she uses to manipulate him than something worth considering in their own right, though some of that might be me being jaded. Of course, there could be questions as to whether it's meant to depict the New Republic as being actually not so different from the Empire it replaced.

Clone Wars isn't a bad callout. Of course, the qualities of different arcs varies wildly, but I do recall there being cases where it would reach for something it didn't quite manage to grasp, that didn't meet the impactfulness it might have (keeping in mind, yes, it was for kids). Though I seem to recall that was often from being a tad too didactic, whereas this seems more muddled and messy.

Actually, a similar comparison could be drawn here:
Also, yeah, Andor did what The Last Jedi could only try to do.
While The Last Jedi also strove for some other things and I do like it overall, the subplot with the dealers playing both sides of the conflict -- kind of like Sheev Palpatine, actually; it's like poetry in that way --was ludicrously oversimplified in a way that kind of matches my comment on some Clone Wars writing, and I do wish it had been handled differently.

Really good episodes this week.

I really do not trust the Armorer. I'm not sure I'd outright call her a villain but I don't trust her. She knows things she's not telling. Her secrets have secrets.

Yeeaaah I don't see Crosshair surviving this season.

Tech teaching Omega how to fly is delightful. I do not want to be there as it happens.

I'll admit. I had the biggest smile on my face upon seeing Ahmed.

Going from the dude who suffered so much unfair flack because of a character he played, to the point that he nearly took his own life, to the dude who SAVED GROGU when Anakin and his troops were wildin out at the Temple, who himself is basically the canonized version of the character he plays on the Jedi Challenge show? I can't think of a better, more deserved usage of "glow-up".

Have Cal run into him in Jedi Survivor. Or have him find and take Reva under his wing. Either way, PROTECT this CHARACTER and just have him eff off into Unknown Space, and far and away from whatever could harm him in Outer Rim or Core worlds!

Well, I'll say I didn't expect Jar Jar Binks to be Grogu's rescuer during the Great Jedi Purge. One might even say he is the Best. I guess maybe Jar Jar truly is the key to all this after all.

Star Wars Celebration 2023 should be on May 4th.

What are you all hoping they'll announce there?

Star Wars Celebration 2023 should be on May 4th.

What are you all hoping they'll announce there?
1) Maybe it's a bit soon, and I doubt they would do anything to undermine Jedi Survivor so quickly, but I can't help it. I'd love to see what Respawn's "Dark Forces/Jedi Knight-like" FPS is shaping up to be like. Maybe the main differential between it and their Jedi games will be that you don't play as a someone with a lightsaber, but is still very much a force-user. A thing that would play off very well with where the Filoniverse is going in the coming years, starting with Ahsoka..

2) Hot off the heels of last week's ep and Ahmed Best's surprise (but certainly welcome!) return to the series...I reiterate what I said before. Tell me what you're going to do next with this man. And ideally sooner, rather than later.

1) Maybe it's a bit soon, and I doubt they would do anything to undermine Jedi Survivor so quickly, but I can't help it. I'd love to see what Respawn's "Dark Forces/Jedi Knight-like" FPS is shaping up to be like. Maybe the main differential between it and their Jedi games will be that you don't play as a someone with a lightsaber, but is still very much a force-user. A thing that would play off very well with where the Filoniverse is going in the coming years, starting with Ahsoka..

2) Hot off the heels of last week's ep and Ahmed Best's surprise (but certainly welcome!) return to the series...I reiterate what I said before. Tell me what you're going to do next with this man. And ideally sooner, rather than later.
Best surprise in general.

Indeed!

And since they've bothered to put themselves in the news cycle again...I suppose it's a fine time to remember that Ubisoft/Massive did hint that "2023 would be a huge year" for them, and it's already almost been two years since the original announcement.

First dibs at SWC, before Ubisoft gets to make Massive's game a centerpiece of their own "E3 adjacent showcase"? Worked for Jedi Fallen Order!
I was more referring to Ahmed Best with that last comment, but thanks and I agree!

What do this week and last week's episodes of Mando have in common?

They both made me giddy as I get to see faves again.

This week it was Zeb! That's our first Lasat in Live Action, ain't it?

Never got around to giving actual thoughts from last week once again. I should find a way to monetize not coming here and typing.

Really, though, seeing the discourse here zeroing in almost exclusively on The Best appearance seems fitting. His appearance is the highlight of that sequence, and it's also entirely meta.

While I'd posit the flashback could largely be described as a tensionless action sequence lacking -- at least thus far -- real insight into anything, one could suggest it ties into the episode's frame story thematically through juxtaposition of saving a Youngling in one and a Foundling in the other; this would be correct, but the connection remains loose and unexplored.

In the present time, the rescue seemed like it should be urgent, but it lacked in urgency. It seemed as though this was meant to highlight what's going on with Bo, her present self and her standing with the Watch, and I'm not so sure it worked.

However, she did give off some questionable vibes at the end there, and that's the Bo I want to see.

Also, I recall that flight chase at the end had some good work in it. Somehow we got some Jurassic Park in our Mando.

Really looking forward to the Bad Batch finale tomorrow. Not sure how everything's going to be resolved but I'm really interested in where the story goes.

Oh, I hadn't even considered that we were about to reach the season's end, though it makes sense in both timing and how the different elements gave converged.

Last week for the Batch was actually fairly packed, bringing everything together for, presumably, the finale. In some ways, it might seem effectively connective tissue in that way, but it did move through the different players and what their situations are now, where they stand, what they're doing, how they might be changing.

It was much more Clone in the Time of Empire and that's cool.

Also. Wowser, it's Howzer!

Really liked The Mandalorian episode this week. Tbh just not really a fan of some of the pirate designs like Vane and the Pirate Captain lol, idk why but they just look kind of funny to me. But other than that really entertaining episode imo. I'll probably watch the Bad Batch episodes tomorrow.

e0c44351-7b68-48f1-b28f-381096012e34_screenshot.jpg

Wow. Just...so many cliffhangers with that Bad Batch episode. I didn't know there was going to be another season, so I was pretty surprised at first. Now I'm just...really looking forward to the next season, lol. Besides the main plot which is a total cliffhanger atm, I'm really wondering where the Zillo Beast storyline is going to end up, it just wasn't addressed at all in these episodes but I'm pretty sure it's connected to the main plot in some way.

And yeah...sucks about Tech. Thought over these 2 seasons he'd developed into a really unique character, and his personality I think really added to the dynamic of the group.

YALL what the FUCK is going on with Mandalorian this week??

Is this Sweeps Week or some shit????? 🤯🤯🤯🤯

Celebrating Daisy Ridley's announced return to the franchise with one of the best tracks in the franchise (a high bar, I know):

I'm going to lose it when this plays in one of the future trailers.

Just so folks don't need to google stuff, here is Polygon's current recap of Star Wars Celebration announcements, Ahsoka's trailer slapped.

Please be setting up an adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy. She even said the thing. All I want is Myrkr on the big screen. Give me Ysalamiri, give me Vornskrs.

Wonder if Disney will actually follow through with these 3 movie announcements or they'll be canned like 15 months from now.
I feel like the Daisy Ridley one is probably going to happen no matter what, I don't think they would have trotted her out onstage if they weren't confident in it actually releasing.

The Filoni one will probably happen too, though I could see it being "downgraded" to a Disney Plus release.

I feel like the Daisy Ridley one is probably going to happen no matter what, I don't think they would have trotted her out onstage if they weren't confident in it actually releasing.

The Filoni one will probably happen too, though I could see it being "downgraded" to a Disney Plus release.

Yeah you're probably right, though there's probably still time for the Daisy Ridley project to go through a firing of the director/writer or something, lol.

The Baby Yoda Movie errr ... I mean The Mandalorian: The Mega TV All-Stars Movie is probably a safe move, and yeah if they don't like the end product, they can quietly move it to Disney Plus.

Celebrating Daisy Ridley's announced return to the franchise with one of the best tracks in the franchise (a high bar, I know):

I'm going to lose it when this plays in one of the future trailers.

Just so folks don't need to google stuff, here is Polygon's current recap of Star Wars Celebration announcements, Ahsoka's trailer slapped.

Please be setting up an adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy. She even said the thing. All I want is Myrkr on the big screen. Give me Ysalamiri, give me Vornskrs.

Say no to Yuuzhan Vong.

Some thoughts:

Hyped for Bad Batch season 3

Ashoka looks cool

Acolyte seems interesting

Not sure what to think about the new movies

So far: The Bad Batch is better than The Mandalorian. IMHO.

I'd say that's a fair assessment. For as unafraid as Bad Batch is to lean into the Saturday morning cartoon side as it is, and for the episodes I found didn't work as well as they might have, it still seemed to trust its audience more in general than The Mandalorian and to have a higher bar for the writing and character work.

Even when things weren't at their absolute best, it still seemed like there might be a subtle movement or point, even if it involved an apparent lack of movement:
From the opening two-parter to this here now, it almost seems like it might be signifying the group stalling out, going nowhere fast with whatever plans they try to follow, that the life they're trying to carve out is a dead end.
(I did follow this by suggesting I wasn't certain whether it might be reading too much into things, but it seems fairly reasonable by this point)

And some points clearly put more focus on some characters and their development -- particularly, one might notice, Tech, whose characterization benefited greatly -- and this is clearly intentional.

That's not to say everything worked great, but by this point in the season it was certainly stronger. It had certainly offered some standout episodes, which is something I don't think I'd claim for this season of The Mandalorian.

The Mandalorian, I find, seems to be more hitting plot points at the expense of story, to its overall detriment. There are still a couple episodes remaining, of course, but I find it doubtful those will manage to overwrite this overall impression, regardless of how good they might turn out.

In any case, I'm glad Bad Batch is getting another season, even if it's the final one. I can see how it could be building to a climax for the story being told, though I do wish there could have been a bit more of a look at how the different clones are traversing these changes in the galaxy and their roles, especially if it does end up leading to a clone rebellion -- one that seems tragically ill-fated.

I hope this final season can continue to build from the high points of the show.

Wow, pretty dramatic ending to the episode. That was too bad, I'd started to like Paz Vizla.

Some other thoughts:

What was that huge creature? Hopefully we get to see more of it.

I wish IG-11 was rebuilt as itself, not just as a vehicle to pilot.

sooooooooo does this technically mean in a roundabout way Taika Waititi is the voice of Baby Yoda?

What was that huge creature? Hopefully we get to see more of it.
an adamantoise, obviously

I've only read the first Thrawn trilogy books and I still instantly recognized Pellaeon lol. No idea if he has already shown up in the canon stuff, but you can't deny the stache. We're really getting Heir to the Empire.

Back
Top Bottom