• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Squid Game šŸ¦‘

Mekanos

YOU ćÆ SHOCK
Pronouns
he/they
Less like Splatoon, more like Mario Party.

I binged this over the last two days and thought it was a really good watch. A little cartoonish at points but definitely held my attention the whole time and some of the setups made me cringe as I watched it.

It's hard to talk about this show without spoiler tags but yeah. Definitely the best Netflix show in years I think. Very pulpy and high concept with some incredible cinematography and set design.

I liked it, it feel like a more serious Kaiji but still pretty good. The worldbulding is interesting but I'm not sure if I want know more about it

Inb4
the goverment is behind or collaborate with the games, or at least is aware of them

Episode 2 was my favorite because the unexpected on this kind of shows/movies.
The biggest issue was the amount of twists at the end only for the sake to have a twist.

And as usual, anglo-actors sound off. I don't know with which actors they work, but the anglo-actors in most of Asian productions look like a patch instead to belong to the world.

I think had worked better as a movie like Battle Royale or Hunger Games, but it's still very enjoyable.

Super enjoyable show. I was captivated from beginning to end.

I really liked the sets, and the games they played. Obviously the most iconic one was the first, especially with the twist, but all of them were fun.

The thing I didnā€™t like was Gi-hun (456) and Mi-nyeo (212). He never knew when to shut up and acted like a child. She was the same thing, very annoying. Though they were clearly like that by design, I just wanted them to be done with šŸ˜‚

Sae-byeok was great though, and Il-nam as well.

I donā€™t think I need to watch Season 2, though. Iā€™m not interested if there arenā€™t new games.

I really liked the sets, and the games they played. Obviously the most iconic one was the first, especially with the twist, but all of them were fun.

The thing I didnā€™t like was Gi-hun (456) and Mi-nyeo (212). He never knew when to shut up and acted like a child. She was the same thing, very annoying. Though they were clearly like that by design, I just wanted them to be done with šŸ˜‚

Sae-byeok was great though, and Il-nam as well.

I donā€™t think I need to watch Season 2, though. Iā€™m not interested if there arenā€™t new games.
I think the fifth game was the most nervewracking for me.

Having a big fear of heights + the idea of getting that far only to die thanks to bad luck... ick lol

I'm positive season 2 would have entirely new games though. Especially something like
tag or capture the flag
could be a lot of fun. Well. "Fun."

Just finished episode 6.
FUCK. FUCK. FUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK

Just finished episode 8. I'm so pissed off right now.
Cho Sang Woo needs to die immediately. He's killed both of my favorite characters. Fuck this asshole.

Episode 2 was my favorite because the unexpected on this kind of shows/movies.
The biggest issue was the amount of twists at the end only for the sake to have a twist.

And as usual, anglo-actors sound off. I don't know with which actors they work, but the anglo-actors in most of Asian productions look like a patch instead to belong to the world.

I think had worked better as a movie like Battle Royale or Hunger Games, but it's still very enjoyable.

Was surprised when watching it how a lot of it was similar to JP Visual Novels / Manga.

The opening game is right out of Takeshi Miike`s As the Gods Will

Was surprised when watching it how a lot of it was similar to JP Visual Novels / Manga.

The opening game is right out of Takeshi Miike`s As the Gods Will

That's cheat. Miike has done everything, each single genre in the cinema. :lol
The creator already said that it was inspired for Manga/Anime titles. Even Netflix has a similar show with Alice in Borderland, but it's less marketable because the nonsense events and spoiled teenagers as main characters.

This is literally no. 1 on the Netflix charts in my country right now, which is super shocking cause this is a non-western production.

It's even weirder because I tend to watch Korean shows from time to time so it's like the world is finally seeing that good stuff can come from places outside of the US and UK too.

I haven't watched it myself yet, but I totally will.

This is literally no. 1 on the Netflix charts in my country right now, which is super shocking cause this is a non-western production.

It's even weirder because I tend to watch Korean shows from time to time so it's like the world is finally seeing that good stuff can come from places outside of the US and UK too.

I haven't watched it myself yet, but I totally will.
I love your avatar! It makes me sad all over again though.

Just came home and the missus is watching it dubbed and god damn the dubbing is terrible.

She watched most of it subbed when i was watching it a few weeks ago.

I thought the execution itself was a bit wonky, a bit too melodramatic, the twists were telegraphed from miles away and the detective subplot was profoundly boring to me.

That said, I really liked what it had to say about economic violence, state-sanctioned institutions that exploit the vulnerable, the illusion of choice in capitalism (I like how they have a whole episode dedicated to how they can decide to just go back to their lives, but the inertia of the system forces them to go back because they realize it's their only choice to transcend their position no matter how inhumane the game is), alienating and degrading work, and the corruption of processes of social reproduction in the form of the child games that are coopted by the dominating class for their own ends.

I also thought this was a decent observation (thread) someone made on twitter:

Less like Splatoon, more like Mario Party.
Great one liner to describe the series.

Tried to watch a few episodes a week with my mates and discuss the episodes,
... two of them couldn't help themselves and binged through it spoiling the fun for the rest.

I finally finished last night. The ending left me a little empty though. Hoping season 2 answers my questions.

Just finished the episode with the glass stepping stone game. This is kind of falling apart for me at this point after a very strong start, and I see they couldnā€™t make it to the end without deploying a gay/bi minor antagonist who is obsessed with sex and preys upon what he thinks is a helpless younger man, then gets held at gunpoint naked after having his dick squeezed.. Exhausting.

Iā€™m in it for (KNTM alum!) Jung Ho-yeon and the hopes that Sang-woo the rat dies horribly (but knowing this show that wonā€™t happen). Hopefully this gets more people interested in Korean television but I also know itā€™s going to cause the killing game genre to keep growing and that subsequent cash-ins wonā€™t have much to say. (Funny aside: I saw someone worried that if they remake this in English theyā€™ll ā€œadd social commentaryā€ā€¦umā€¦anyway)

This also makes me feel extra sick for watching it while also watching Girls Planet 999, where idols compete to debut and everyone cries a lot and has their dreams crushed (but in reality a ton of them will debut in other groups anyway).

I need to see this splatoon live action show for myself! my girlfriend told me it's lit!

I loved the show, very smart and amazing pace. My favorite episode was E6 by far. I normally enjoy Korean media very much, those guys know their shit.

Binged it in a few evenings.

Fuck. Daaaaaaayumn. Even if some twists were pretty obvious, damn man.

The most mind-blowing thing to me is how a show with this many plot holes can be so damn enjoyable.

I liked it a lot. The social commentary and pacing is great, as well as the characters and acting (besides the VIPs).

It should've been a one season show though. I'm not very optimistic in a second season being as good.

A good mix of past ideas with a great cast. The ending
was a downer tho. Not sure the writer has a second season in him to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom