• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Square Enix shifting to “aggressively pursue” multiplatform strategy

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
Diversify earnings opportunities by strengthening customer contact points
- Shift to a multiplatform strategy
For HD titles, the Group will aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs. Especially, in regards to major franchises and AAA titles including catalog titles, it will build an environment where more customers can enjoy our titles. In addition, it will also devise a platform strategy for SD titles that includes not only iOS and Android, but also the possibility of PC launches. Furthermore, the Group will strive to maximize the acquisition of new users when launching a title and that of recurring users after starting management of game operation.

- Building continuous customer contact points of our titles by stepping up digital sales The Group will strengthen user flow of digital sales of new titles at the time of launch regarding the initiatives of promotion. In addition, it will generate the opportunity of generating revenue in our rich catalog titles' line-up, which leads to strengthen its earnings base by expanding sales of catalog titles. Moreover, the Group will engage in initiatives which focus on the acquisition of PC users.

- Create the interaction with customers by increasing sophistication of publishing function The Group will pursue integrated sales & marketing operations in Japan and make efficiency of publishing by consolidating the marketing functions that were previously spread across creative business units, expanding shared knowledge, and eliminating duplicate functions. Also, it creates a new reporting line in order to enhance collaboration between sales and marketing functions.
It will also address the increasing sophistication of marketing by leveraging first-party data, including through the utilization of CRM solutions and data analytics, when developing an ad campaign for HD and SD titles.

- Generating the opportunity of new revenue by offering IP across a range of entertainment experiences The Group will pursue a cross-media strategy capable of approaching new markets. Specifically, it will expand area of license business by establishing a new department focusing on IP business development at global markets. In addition, it will build an organization which makes more active use of its IP by offering it across all media formats. The Group also hopes to generate synergies by integrating the organizations affiliated with its Merchandising segment
Even highlighted Nintendo, Switch 2 AAA coming baby :p

Last edited:
Forspoken, Final Fantasy XVI, and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth were monumentally expensive games that all bombed to various degrees due to being PS5 exclusives, a platform with the install base of the Xbox One.

Yeah, no wonder they're going multiplatform.

As a big Square Enix fan, I welcome the incoming barrage of Switch 2 games.

They should have done this after the Switch launched but hitched their bets on PS5 exclusivity that bit them in the arse.

But this is good for Switch 2, hopefully this means that it is the main platform to develop for and then have better graphics/frame rate for the stronger platforms

SE with the sensible decision? Get out of here!

That's really good news, though, since everyone should profit from it.

Square gonna be surprised when they realize how much people can love the VII Remake games when they are coming out on every platform heh. Wondering if this is a decision that will make Part III huge.

Notice how they said "Nintendo platforms" and not just "Nintendo Switch." Could this be a hint at Switch 2 being in the next year or so?

(I've been in a coma for one week)

Switch 2 for new releases will help (though worth noting its not magically launching with the Switch install base) but I think legacy software will struggle at launch with what will likely be a very saturated market.

Everyone and their dog will be porting to Switch but every little helps I guess.

good stuff

edit: yeah rebirth sales made the whole company change course, lol

Last edited:
Notice how they said "Nintendo platforms" and not just "Nintendo Switch." Could this be a hint at Switch 2 being in the next year or so?

(I've been in a coma for one week)
Nintendo just announced it on May 7. They said they'll make an announcement about the successor during the current fiscal year (so up to March 2025). It's definitely coming next year.

No surprises as far as I'm concerned. Was always my expectation the moment they announced their change in strategy.

A healthy game publisher the size of Square Enix shouldn't rely on platform holders to actually sell their games, and limiting the reach of your AAA tentpoles in this day and age is just dumb.

Also I guess folks who were worried about this "quantity over quality" approach meaning no Nintendo support can rest easy now yeah?

Nintendo just announced it on May 7. They said they'll make an announcement about the successor during the current fiscal year (so up to March 2025). It's definitely coming next year.

I'm sorry but I actually was just messing around lol.

Nice to see a comms from SE that isn’t about AI, scam currencies and NFT grift. Who knew that selling your media products across as many gaming platforms as possible, following the audience being split across major platforms for the last 35+ years, could be a viable strategy. That’s what you pay execs for, I guess. /s

Edit- this was a bit bitter. It’s a good thing to see, and makes me a little more optimistic about the SE series I love.

Holy heck, has hell frozen over or what? SQEX finally understanding what makes other thirds like Capcom actually do somewhat well in todays enviroment?

Last edited:
The funny thing is that the exclusives handled by Nintendo as the publisher like Octopath Traveler and TWEWY: Final Remix did much better than their sequels published by Square Enix itself.

But I'm glad they finally understood that AAA exclusive don't make profit, you need to release those in as much hardware as you can. This is the best for the whole industry, let the third parties being multiplatform.

i just hope after they do make their big games multiplatform and stop selling games to platform holders instead of gamers, they don't get discouraged when the first results aren't amazing on newer platforms. it's going to take time to create (and in some cases rebuild) fanbases on platforms that they've ignored for so long.

The funny thing is that the exclusives handled by Nintendo as the publisher like Octopath Traveler and TWEWY: Final Remix did much better than their sequels published by Square Enix itself.

But I'm glad they finally understood that AAA exclusive don't make profit, you need to release those in as much hardware as you can. This is the best for the whole industry, let the third parties being multiplatform.
Yeah but that's a problem for Square Enix as well. I wonder if people just don't realize it or their fanboyism is simply getting the better of them. The Switch exclusives they self published also under performed/bombed, so it's not just a platform problem.

Glad I'll be able to play DQ III Remake, XII, and the next Team Asano games on PS5! 🤭 (I won't but I know some of you suffered reading this.)

Yeah but that's a problem for Square Enix as well. I wonder if people just don't realize it or their fanboyism is simply getting the better of them. The Switch exclusives they self published also under performed/bombed, so it's not just a platform problem.

Glad I'll be able to play DQ III Remake, XII, and the next Team Asano games on PS5! 🤭

Well, the difference is that Nintendo marketed those "first entry" games of said series pretty massively over an extended timeframe. Can't say the same about SQEX doing the same for the sequels that ended up multiplatform.

As for the games you listed, i don't think, even prior to this strategy shift, that there was/is any doubt they would not launch on a PS console.

Last edited:
i just hope after they do make their big games multiplatform and stop selling games to platform holders instead of gamers, they don't get discouraged when the first results aren't amazing on newer platforms. it's going to take time to create (and in some cases rebuild) fanbases on platforms that they've ignored for so long.
All jokes aside this is very much true as well.

They also specifically call out dedicating more marketing resources the fewer games they'll launch in order to prevent self-cannibalization, which is also something that clearly happened to the their 2022's (was it?) slate.

Seems like all but conformation that we're going to see the absolute vast majority of their AAA titles on Switch 2 - and that's nice.
Still think there's going to be the ocassional exclusives - not just for the expensive titles.

Glad I'll be able to play DQ III Remake, XII, and the next Team Asano games on PS5! 🤭 (I won't but I know some of you suffered reading this.)
…why? I just assumed future DQ and Octopath would be multiplat and on PS5 anyway as they already are.

Though, i do wonder what this means for the third FF7 remake game, if they still set on making it.

Does Sony have contracts already guaranteeing that one exclusive too? Or would those be made further on when the game is in a advanced dev state?
Or do both parties have bail-out possibilities?

Sony might not see the need, as Rebirth didn't move as much as they likely hoped for, and imo definitely didn't move console sales.

Well, the difference is that Nintendo marketed those "first entry" games of said series pretty massively over an extended timeframe. Can't say the same about SQEX doing the same for the sequels that ended up multiplatform.

As for the games you listed, i don't think, even prior to this strategy shift, that there was/is any doubt they would launch on a PS console.
Again, missing my point! This is a weakness for SE. It is plain as day. Relaying on a platform holder to publish your game means losing on revenue/profit. It means associating your successful brands to another publisher!

(See below for the second part of your post)
…why? I just assumed future DQ and Octopath would be multiplat and on PS5 anyway as they already are.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I still remember people being disappointed at OT II being multi-platform! Y'know what I'm getting at. Also there were plenty of folks who thought DQ3 and/or 12 were gonna be Nintendo-exclusives. I'm not referring to the PixelKnights of the forum I'm sure you realize.

edit: the remark you're specifically referencing is the result of me being bitter as well. Much like your first post I guess ahaha

They also specifically call out dedicating more marketing resources the fewer games they'll launch in order to prevent self-cannibalization, which is also something that clearly happened to the their 2022's (was it?) slate.
it's one of the most bizarre things i've ever seen in gaming when SE in the span of 6 months dropped all these games. a lot of them got zero marketing and for some of them they didn't even send out review codes before release:
  • Voice of Cards: The Beasts of Burden
  • Various Daylife
  • The Diofield Chronicle
  • Valkyrie Elysium
  • Star Ocean: The Divine Force
  • Harvestella
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn
  • Dragon Quest Treasures
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
  • Forspoken
  • Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo

Again, missing my point! This is a weakness for SE. It is plain as day. Relaying on a platform holder to publish your game means losing on revenue/profit. It means associating your successful brands to another publisher!

(See below for the second part of your post)

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I still remember people being disappointed at OT II being multi-platform! Y'know what I'm getting at. Also there were plenty of folks who thought DQ3 and/or 12 were gonna be Nintendo-exclusives. I'm not referring to the PixelKnights of the forum I'm sure you realize.
Ah I’m with you, fair enough! Yeah the days of ‘third party exclusive as ammunition for warz’ are pretty much gone, or will be very soon.

it's one of the most bizarre things i've ever seen in gaming when SE in the span of 6 months dropped all these games. a lot of them got zero marketing and for some of them they didn't even send out review codes before release:
  • Various Daylife
  • The Diofield Chronicle
  • Valkyrie Elysium
  • Harvestella
  • Dragon Quest Treasures
  • Forspoken
  • Octopath Traveler II
yeah this was wild. I love SE’s rpgs, picked up 5 of these (well, one was a Xmas gift from my wife). Two I finished, one I abandoned and two are in the backlog. But that was way too much even for an rpg junkie like me. I’d have picked up twice as many, and likely paid full price or close to it, if they were spread out over 3 years. Now I’m just waiting on deep sales on the ones I didn’t pick up immediately as it’s not like the genre isn’t absolutely packed on Switch.

Last edited:
That's great, but let's get Dragon Quest III Remake, because that's the move that'll really restore your finances and your stonks and what have you.

• Various Daylife
  • The Diofield Chronicle
  • Valkyrie Elysium
  • Harvestella
  • Dragon Quest Treasures
  • Forspoken
  • Octopath Traveler II
Yeah this was a silly, silly schedule. I only bought two of these (the last two), and they were both excellent, but I'd have bought the Crisis Core remake and Harvestella at least if they hadn't rammed the schedule like that.

Back
Top Bottom