• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The swirl pattern is not Gerudo specific - it's general derocative design used in ancient Hyrule times across all tribes/races. It is depicted on the green golem, the bird mask, the Zonai armor, the sailing bird statue, the Gerudo heels and lots more. So the proposed dungeon item above could be from anywhere.

If you're curious, I've been reading up on some history at that time and the swirl motif is based the ancient Xiangyun depiction, the Xicalcoliuhqui and more generally the Meander (and even more generally brought together under the key pattern umbrella). The motif has been used by a multitude of global cultures in human history. So just like in TotK, the motif was present all over the ancient world and interestingly largely even developed independent of each other.

1000_F_404497534_PuotKxuB6kacIHu4S3Fs1JwdAambL9aa.jpg

Classic Roman-greek/hellenistic frame design

1280px-Ding_%28cooking_vessel%29%2C_China%2C_Shang_dynasty%2C_1300-1046_BC%2C_bronze_-_Royal_Ontario_Museum_-_DSC03993.JPG

Chinese cooking vesel from the Shang dynasty

El_Tajin_%289785936503%29.jpg

Here it is pre-columbian ancient societies (mesoamerican/mayan/aztec)

So it was present in all ancient societies that TotK's art design is heavily influenced by. If you want to read up on the possible meaning of the motif just click on the links above. In the Wiki entry for Meander it is said that "the design is common to the present-day in classicizing architecture" and that's what they seem to be doing with the motif in TotK. Essentially they plaster that motif over everything that is supposed to be part of and from ancient Hyrule.
Awesome post, thanks for this And the links. It’s like real life Art book photos, I had no idea how much of an exact copy or inspiration TotK was taking from these cultures. The key patterns are really cool in those links, I’m hoping the Devs went crazy with a lot more variations of those types of designs as well.

Last edited:
Awesome post, thanks for this And the links. It’s like real life Art book photos, I had no idea how much of an exact copy or inspiration TotK was taking from these cultures. The key patterns are really cool in those links, I’m hoping the Devs went crazy with a lot more variations of those types of designs as well.

Oh yeah, the insipration they took from history and different cultures here is absolutely crazy. There is so much I found since the artbook leaked but I won't post everything because it's a lot and I always have to post from my phone.

a) speaking of key patterns, the border making the circle here is almost definitely one version of TotK's take on a key pattern.

zelda-totk-art.jpg

Key patterns were used just like this (to create some form of border) and you see this specific key pattern plastered all over the place. In the art book almost every bottom of the page features the same key pattern:

Lotus-flower-we-com.jpg

Only here it is a more orderly and almost printed version of that same key pattern.

b) the clothing of Rauru and the new girl is inspired by ancient Hanfu fashion. Look specifically at the jewellery - lots of earrings, bracelets, pendants, rings and charms that look extremely similar to the jewellery hanging off Rauru and the girl. A few examples:

528px-Earrings%2C_pair_%28AM_1932.233-2%29.jpg

675px-Qing_Jade_Pendant_02.jpg

One interesting note here is that the jewellery heavy fashion style was only worn by woman. Is Rauru a woman in this?

c) this style of decipting evil (in this case probably Ganondorf)

HXsOzAl.jpg

is based on ancient Chinese mythology depicting one of the four evils of the world Taotie

images

and all the other similar glyphs of similar style are in general heavily influenced by Chinese Bronze art like this one

360px-Sanxingdui_men_face_and_other_25.jpg

Last edited:
Can't tell you how much I look forward to you all posting about real life inspiration for TotK's art style and designs each morning. This thread has been a really good part of my routine, and I regret I don't have anything to contribute. Just wanted to show my appreciation

Man, analyzing this game post-launch is gonna be something else.

Sorry for the double post, but someone on reddit made a post analyzing the artbook stuff and made a pretty compelling argument in favor of there being time travel in TotK.

Sorry for the double post, but someone on reddit made a post analyzing the artbook stuff and made a pretty compelling argument in favor of there being time travel in TotK.

This is insane if this is the big hook of the game. Holy shit does this all sound awesome.

This would in my opinion be a game changer. Like this whole setup sounds "next level" to me. I think my jaw will drop and my hype would go from a 2 or 3 to 10,000 and break through the ceiling if this theory pans out and is well executed.

Last edited:
The more I look at that image with the map of Hyrule the more I think of this idea:

Imagine if it's not a static map, but an observatory looking down at the land of Hyrule. And at any moment you can jump through it to descend to the lands below

Oh yeah, the insipration they took from history and different cultures here is absolutely crazy. There is so much I found since the artbook leaked but I won't post everything because it's a lot and I always have to post from my phone.

a) speaking of key patterns, the border making the circle here is almost definitely one version of TotK's take on a key pattern.

zelda-totk-art.jpg

Key patterns were used just like this (to create some form of border) and you see this specific key pattern plastered all over the place. In the art book almost every bottom of the page features the same key pattern:

Lotus-flower-we-com.jpg

Only here it is a more orderly and almost printed version of that same key pattern.

b) the clothing of Rauru and the new girl is inspired by ancient Hanfu fashion. Look specifically at the jewellery - lots of earrings, bracelets, pendants, rings and charms that look extremely similar to the jewellery hanging off Rauru and the girl. A few examples:

528px-Earrings%2C_pair_%28AM_1932.233-2%29.jpg

675px-Qing_Jade_Pendant_02.jpg

One interesting note here is that the jewellery heavy fashion style was only worn by woman. Is Rauru a woman in this?

c) this style of decipting evil (in this case probably Ganondorf)

HXsOzAl.jpg

is based on ancient Chinese mythology depicting one of the four evils of the world Taotie

images

and all the other similar glyphs of similar style are in general heavily influenced by Chinese Bronze art like this one

360px-Sanxingdui_men_face_and_other_25.jpg
I am really liking the design inspiration for the glyphs especially the one for Gannondorf you mention from Taotie. Since you mention the glyphs again, I have long speculated that the Art Book photos showing the 3, of what I'm calling blue prints, of the glyphs are actually stylized maps of the locations of the Tears represented inside each one of them.
all-maps.jpg

So each glyph will have its corresponding map that we could refer to while underground to locate each of the Tears and activate them. At least this is where I am at right now. I haven't come up with how they are going to make the UI manageable with 3 different layers of underground, surface and sky, so basically removing the need for an underground map would solve part of this problem. As Serif pointed out awhile ago that a lot of the NPC seem all to be depicted as possibly traveling underground or at least prepared to do so, and are most likely surveying the surface as well as the underground.
min-com.jpg

They look like they have minors lamps and hard hats similar to the ones the Gorons wear. Also our new Bird friend could also be helping by doing aerial reconnaissance beforehand to locate points of interests or cave entrances from above as he is carrying a similar map.
areil-crew-map.jpg

I also think this seemingly boring picture of this shovel may also be possibly another example of a special item we will be utilizing given the patterns and the motif of the handle. While the Art Book shows other examples of many of the basic tools we have seen in around the land of BotW, this picture has it's own dedicated page to it.
special-shovel-1.jpg

Also just realised that within the lotus flower with the tears, they are arranged around a small statuette of the Zonai pyramid
So I just realized after posting the differences of the lotus flower center with the Ancient Temple found on the map that after looking at this picture and then comparing it again, it does more closely resemble the Ancient Temple on the Map. I think this is after the Tear has been activated and it looks like the Tear is coming out of a structure similar to the Temple when compared side by side.

build-tears-com.jpg

And this building assuming its the same structure has either 11 or 12 Tears depicted on it. and is located in the center of the ancient map, which could then correspond to each one of the glyphs 11 -12 glyphs surrounding it.

build-map.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but many of these examples could honestly be explained by more simpler explanations than time travel. Like, ancient architecture can still be left over, especially on the Sky Islands. The longer-eared race of people could be Sky People as well, and their clothing could just be ancient styled for whatever reason (maybe not a lot of cultural drift from being isolated in the sky). A lot of the rest just seems like conjecture

The main things that do point towards time travel in my eyes, that aren't really fully explained by this post, is that we see ancient looking architecture on the surface in some of these artbook pictures, the map is definitely super weird, and the whole thing with Daruk's voice actor has yet to be explained (and I mean, XC3 was spoiled by a voice actor so it's not like they haven't been reliable sources of evidence recently)

The main hold up though is like...freakin' how? Full Time Travel on a map the size of BoTW, much less the expanded map of ToTK, just sounds like way too much, even if the present map is reused. I'm also not certain full map time travel would actually add much (like, outside of points of interest, I can't imagine there are too many changes in the open spaces of Hyrule.. Doubling all that space just sounds tedious). The localized time travel theory that's been discussed a couple times in this thread now makes the most sense to me, or some sort of equivalent to that.

But also I'm not the hugest fan of "alternate world" concepts in general, so my take is probably colored by that. I think localized world changes based on time travel could be interesting, and there's some fun story and scope implications for full time travel, but besides that the concept just doesn't really excite me too much, especially for a game like BoTW. Feels a bit inorganic and stilted to explore unless the time travel is instantaneous and can be done from anywhere, and honestly maybe even then

I feel like if there is time travel it has to be done like how skyward sword did it with timeshift stones, no way there’s going to be another hyrule on top of the sky and underground. Something that’s gone under the radar is how much emphasis is being placed on mining. We see in the 2nd trailer boko’s mining and that’s more organized behavior than anything in botw. Ganondorf is definitely looking for something underground, maybe a timeshift stone equivalent?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but many of these examples could honestly be explained by more simpler explanations than time travel. Like, ancient architecture can still be left over, especially on the Sky Islands. The longer-eared race of people could be Sky People as well, and their clothing could just be ancient styled for whatever reason (maybe not a lot of cultural drift from being isolated in the sky). A lot of the rest just seems like conjecture

The main things that do point towards time travel in my eyes, that aren't really fully explained by this post, is that we see ancient looking architecture on the surface in some of these artbook pictures, the map is definitely super weird, and the whole thing with Daruk's voice actor has yet to be explained (and I mean, XC3 was spoiled by a voice actor so it's not like they haven't been reliable sources of evidence recently)

The main hold up though is like...freakin' how? Full Time Travel on a map the size of BoTW, much less the expanded map of ToTK, just sounds like way too much, even if the present map is reused. I'm also not certain full map time travel would actually add much (like, outside of points of interest, I can't imagine there are too many changes in the open spaces of Hyrule.. Doubling all that space just sounds tedious). The localized time travel theory that's been discussed a couple times in this thread now makes the most sense to me, or some sort of equivalent to that.

But also I'm not the hugest fan of "alternate world" concepts in general, so my take is probably colored by that. I think localized world changes based on time travel could be interesting, and there's some fun story and scope implications for full time travel, but besides that the concept just doesn't really excite me too much, especially for a game like BoTW. Feels a bit inorganic and stilted to explore unless the time travel is instantaneous and can be done from anywhere, and honestly maybe even then

Maybe it could be explained away but man this theory sounds super exciting to me. Imagine exploring the Hyrule map where like everything is different, different towns, villages, architecture, terrain and environments, different characters, etc. Might explain why the Daruk (Goron voice actor) said he was playing the ancient ancestor. All the weird time hints, etc.

Granted I'm not going to get too excited here until Nintendo actually shows us something... this is exactly WHY I want to see the game so much and have been annoyed with no real coverage. We could get something truly epic or a game that is basically BOTW DLC (a bit of hyperbole). Won't allow myself to get super hyped until we see more. I don't want to be disappointed come release if the game isn't doing something super cool.

The Zelda series is no stranger to time travel and alternate worlds within the same game and they've had 5-6 years to developed this. If they want to add an alternate world or time travel, nothing is stopping them.

Maybe it could be explained away but man this theory sounds super exciting to me. Imagine exploring the Hyrule map where like everything is different, different towns, villages, architecture, terrain and environments, different characters, etc. Might explain why the Daruk (Goron voice actor) said he was playing the ancient ancestor. All the weird time hints, etc.

Granted I'm not going to get too excited here until Nintendo actually shows us something... this is exactly WHY I want to see the game so much and have been annoyed with no real coverage. We could get something truly epic or a game that is basically BOTW DLC (a bit of hyperbole). Won't allow myself to get super hyped until we see more. I don't want to be disappointed come release if the game isn't doing something super cool.
I mean tbh that just sounds like you want a different map. Which I get, but is also explicitly not what this game is doing

It's also definitely well beyond the scope of DLC already just from what we know from official trailers, much less artbook stuff. Like, at least use an "iterative sequel" comment, it fits much better
The Zelda series is no stranger to time travel and alternate worlds within the same game and they've had 5-6 years to developed this. If they want to add an alternate world or time travel, nothing is stopping them.
I mean, technical limitations and just wanting the game being good would probably stop them

I think people are severely overestimating how fun full time travel would be in a world of BoTW's size. Unless there are significant terrain changes you're kinda just copying a bunch of space, while adding a contrived method of getting to it. That doesn't sound terribly fun. You could achieve most of the fun aspects just by limiting time travel to certain points of interest

Honestly this whole thing with ToTK pre-release kinda highlights that, to me at least, some people seem to have a lot of trouble getting excited for things they're not familiar with, versus things that they are. Sky Islands and free-form crafting? That's fairly rare, and the lack of context means it might be harder to get excited for. Dungeons, new NPCs, and dual worlds? Those are known quantities, so it's easier to get excited for (even if those things might not be well suited for the game).

Personally, I just like the idea of games trying new things, instead of just reiterating things I'm already familiar with. Not that iteration can't be good, it's just harder for me to get excited for

If there are two complete overworlds in separate time zones...that would be crazy (not necessarily in a good way).
I don't know. IF that's the case, they should give each layer a specific gameplay purpose or it would be too much to skip between them all the time.

For example:
- Surface in the past: for exploration mainly, like in BotW. With added themed dungeons.

- Surface present: battles, constant threat, crafting weird vehicles,...?

- Underground in the present: activating sky islands, researching old civilizations from the past (for Zelda...)

- Sky islands in the present: the shrines of TotK.

I don't think we would visit the sky islands or underground areas in different time zones as well. Would be overwhelming.

I mean tbh that just sounds like you want a different map. Which I get, but is also explicitly not what this game is doing

It's also definitely well beyond the scope of DLC already just from what we know from official trailers, much less artbook stuff. Like, at least use an "iterative sequel" comment, it fits much better

I mean, technical limitations and just wanting the game being good would probably stop them

I think people are severely overestimating how fun full time travel would be in a world of BoTW's size. Unless there are significant terrain changes you're kinda just copying a bunch of space, while adding a contrived method of getting to it. That doesn't sound terribly fun. You could achieve most of the fun aspects just by limiting time travel to certain points of interest

Honestly this whole thing with ToTK pre-release kinda highlights that, to me at least, some people seem to have a lot of trouble getting excited for things they're not familiar with, versus things that they are. Sky Islands and free-form crafting? That's fairly rare, and the lack of context means it might be harder to get excited for. Dungeons, new NPCs, and dual worlds? Those are known quantities, so it's easier to get excited for (even if those things might not be well suited for the game).

Personally, I just like the idea of games trying new things, instead of just reiterating things I'm already familiar with. Not that iteration can't be good, it's just harder for me to get excited for

To be fair, we don't really know what this game is doing. We don't know much at all.

As far as two maps go, the old map would still be using the new map. Mainly just moving buildings, characters, trees and foliage, some rock formations, maybe change the weather some in areas. After six years in development, I wouldn't say it's impossible. That being said I wouldn't claim this to be the twist in the game. Just thought it sounded cool.

To be fair, we don't really know what this game is doing. We don't know much at all.

As far as two maps go, the old map would still be using the new map. Mainly just moving buildings, characters, trees and foliage, some rock formations, maybe change the weather some in areas. After six years in development, I wouldn't say it's impossible. That being said I wouldn't claim this to be the twist in the game. Just thought it sounded cool.
I mean, maybe not strictly impossible to develop, but you've kinda hit on the problem. That doesn't really sound that appealing when you think about it, at least to me. Having large stretches of almost identical map twice in the same game doesn't sound super fun. It's like the complaints about map reuse in ToTK taken to the next level

I mean, maybe not strictly impossible to develop, but you've kinda hit on the problem. That doesn't really sound that appealing when you think about it, at least to me. Having large stretches of almost identical map twice in the same game doesn't sound super fun. It's like the complaints about map reuse in ToTK taken to the next level
I'd disagree if it's something you can activate at will. Having to go to a temple of time to change the world a tiny bit would get tedious yeah.

Anyway I think the time travel will be a lot more involved, and not just between two time periods. Based on the sheer variety of seemingly ancient cultures and architecture it feels more like we'll be traveling to multiple periods throughout Hyrule's history. If they do that they of course couldn't do it with the entire map.

I can only speculate. The concept I feel could work but there are way to many unknowns. Like it worked well in Ocarina of Time considering the age of that game but doing this on a large scale is a big unknown.

Whatever we get, I just hope it's an epic game.

I'd disagree if it's something you can activate at will. Having to go to a temple of time to change the world a tiny bit would get tedious yeah.

Anyway I think the time travel will be a lot more involved, and not just between two time periods. Based on the sheer variety of seemingly ancient cultures and architecture it feels more like we'll be traveling to multiple periods throughout Hyrule's history. If they do that they of course couldn't do it with the entire map.
This would make it better, but I'm not sure if it would make it good

I think Octopath Traveller 2's new day and night cycle is a decent example here, since it mostly functions like an alt-world system. And imo, while it's a pretty cool in that game, it kinda gets to points where it verges on getting tedious to check day/night for each area or otherwise feel like you're missing out. Now imagine that, but instead of a top down JRPG you have a 3D world the size of BoTW and with two completely disjoint time frames. It's not like it's not doable (maybe scatter hints about where might be a good point to timeshift) but I don't really think it adds too much compared to a localized time travel system

And yeah like you said, if they do multiple time periods then full time travel is right out

To me the fact that a part of the Great Plateau that is in ruins in BOTW, we see INTACT in Tears of the Kingdom's last trailer is the biggest sign that something's up.

It could be a flashback (and if that's the case my bet is it's a flashback to the very first Blood Moon, Calamity Ganon's very first emergence in Hyrule over 10 000 years ago), but what if it means more?

To me the fact that a part of the Great Plateau that is in ruins in BOTW, we see INTACT in Tears of the Kingdom's last trailer is the biggest sign that something's up.

It could be a flashback (and if that's the case my bet is it's a flashback to the very first Blood Moon, Calamity Ganon's very first emergence in Hyrule over 10 000 years ago), but what if it means more?
I dont think its a flashback.

zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-trailer-2-15.large.jpg

Akkala citadel rebuilt.
Its time travel or something like that.

Last edited:
I'm still on disc world theory. Two separate maps on separate sides of a giant disc with the present on one side and the past on the other with a big void in the middle of the planet that can only be traversed, at least at first, with the Sheikah slate on a rope.

"Rebuilt" is a strong word. The walls are still covered in moss, there's foliage and a broken barrel. If that's rebuilt they did a shitty job at it.

"Rebuilt" is a strong word. The walls are still covered in moss, there's foliage and a broken barrel. If that's rebuilt they did a shitty job at it.

I mean, in BoTW that room didnt exist, I think we are traveling to a time before the sheika tower destroy that building in akkala citadel.

I was just watching the trailer again. With that "lend me your power" line at the end, I'm pretty convinced Zelda is playable in this game at certain points. If there is time travel, it could be Zelda travelling to the other time. There could be character switching that allows the two to work together across times to achieve certain effects. Nvm misheard the line

Last edited:
I have been looking at old videos covering the making of BotW and was reminded again that BotW‘s map is built on top of a layer of water. Probably most of you know this already and if you have ever watched one of the 1000s of videos showing how to clip through the surface of Hyrule, you will see how they always eventually land in water underneath the surface.

This was done as a way to control the water levels at various heights in the vast topography of BotW, but its main function is related to the weather system in BotW. It’s how when it rains, shallow pools of water can form on the surface, simply by raising the water level from underneath the surface, and then when it turns sunny, the water level is simply slowly lowered again creating the effect of water evaporation.

botw-slides.large.jpg

So it makes the most sense to me that when the developers for TotK we’re deciding on how to change up the map, that one of the first things, and probably most easiest things they could do, would be to play around with raising and lowering the water levels in different areas of the map.

I am still a big proponent of the localized time travel concept via something similar to the time shift stones as I realize more and more that this game will have a lot of similar concepts and gameplay elements taken from SS. The map room poses the biggest argument against localized time travel as it represents an entirely similar but different map of Hyrule based on mostly water levels with some minor changes to topography so to me it clearly represents the Hyrule of the past.

But when I add in the idea of how easy it is to simply raise and lower the water levels for the developers in a localized and controlled fashion, then I think I can make the argument that this directly supports the idea of being able to quickly switch between the past and the present on a grander and larger scale of an open world game.

And perhaps Ganondorf has some ability to actually affect the weather as well. If he can effectively control the moon, we have seen several cyclones in the trailers as well as areas with severe thunderstorms and rain. Most of us have theorized that the wind will play a big part in the game as well. So if there is a time skip after Gannondorf breaks his seal of 2-6 years, maybe Hyrule is thrown into darkness and constant severe weather continually and during that time water levels rise significantly all over Hyrule. I could see another big aspect of this game being that we have to gain control back of the weather away from Ganondorf as well.

I'm still on disc world theory. Two separate maps on separate sides of a giant disc with the present on one side and the past on the other with a big void in the middle of the planet that can only be traversed, at least at first, with the Sheikah slate on a rope.
We going full Xeen eh?

I was just watching the trailer again. With that "lend me your power" line at the end, I'm pretty convinced Zelda is playable in this game at certain points. If there is time travel, it could be Zelda travelling to the other time. There could be character switching that allows the two to work together across times to achieve certain effects.

She says "Lend HIM your power", implying that she is asking someone to give Link their power. Not saying that Zelda isn't playable but that specific line isn't evidence that she is, at least in my opinion.

She says "Lend HIM your power", implying that she is asking someone to give Link their power. Not saying that Zelda isn't playable but that specific line isn't evidence that she is, at least in my opinion.
Damn I misheard it, thanks for setting me straight

And perhaps Ganondorf has some ability to actually affect the weather as well. If he can effectively control the moon, we have seen several cyclones in the trailers as well as areas with severe thunderstorms and rain. Most of us have theorized that the wind will play a big part in the game as well. So if there is a time skip after Gannondorf breaks his seal of 2-6 years, maybe Hyrule is thrown into darkness and constant severe weather continually and during that time water levels rise significantly all over Hyrule. I could see another big aspect of this game being that we have to gain control back of the weather away from Ganondorf as well.

This is just how the divine beasts worked in BOTW with extra justification steps. The Zora one made it constantly rain in the entire region, the Goron one was the cause of the extreme temperatures around Death mountain, the desert one caused the sandstorms and thunder attacks at people in the region and ... well, the rito one didn't really do anything.

I hope that's not really another thing they're repeating in TOTK.

I've been admant about it about it since the beginning and even more so since all the new info came out. I'm gonna do a @Serif in more ways than one here because posting lengthy forum posts on a phone is hell. With only 8 weeks until release, I'm also gonna bounce out of this thread and spoiling myself any further with going all-in one final time writing down my Time Travel Manifesto.

To me the most notable primarily information-based evidence:

a) These are rendered ancient Gerudo soldier NPC models from the time when Ganondorf was alive:
Screenshot-2023-02-22-02-50-10-840-edit-pdf-reader-pdfviewer-pdfeditor.jpg

First of all, they wear the same theming of jewelry as Ganondorf:
HXbutKN.jpg

Notice the exclusively gold and simple ring-shaped jewelery between the two. Most revealing, though, is the use of gold ball chains. Ganondorf has them as seen in the picture hanging off his shoulder and two hanging off his forearm. The Gerudo soldiers themselves have them on their footwear, as finger jewelry and a hairband. This style of jewelry was not worn by any of the Gerudo in BotW.

People say this could be Gerudo that sectioned off to side with Ganondorf after his revival (as they don't clearly don't belong to Riju) but
  1. that doesn't explain the typical swirl motif present on the heels here which is attached to anything that is ancient in TotK
  2. there is a type of flute (specifically a reed) in the art book clearly from these Gerudo as the flute has the same tribal markings the Gerudo clothes here have. Not only that, but the flute is seemingly well-worn and scarred from its age. Potential sectioned off Gerudo would not exist long enough (the time skip is only around ±5 years between BotW and TotK) for that to be the case (or develop independent culture in the first place)
  3. the artbook itself describing that model (and even bothering to name it in the first place) with "general Gerudo soldier"
b) We know there exist multiple Zonai NPCs thanks to the art book. People say they live in the sky but as far as we can see the sky is either abandoned and destroyed Zonai ruins or pieces of land/buildings ripped from present Hyrule itself. The thing that really makes me shoot down this idea is the state of the bird platforms runways:
HWg2YSs.jpg

2023-03-07-11-52-17-TOTKArt-Book-1-pdf-Lumin-Lumin-PDF-Editor-and-13-more-pages-In-Private.png

Not only is something probably so important for them deserted and destroyed like everything else, the bird platforms themselves lay scattered and jumbled on the runways like they got intentionally attacked and destroyed and not just simply abandoned. If the Zonai live in the sky, to me it doesn't seem like they do in the present time. The ruins point more in the direction that something happend to them as in their civilization destroyed in the act of war against Ganondorf.

c) Restored Zonai/ancient architecture in the overworld of Hyrule:
Screenshot-20230219-222933.png

b9st86d9m8ja1.jpg

js92z5t.jpeg

Here I want to mark a differentiator, from the architecture shown off above not only in top-shape but also more advanced, to the below (less so) restored and less advanced architecture and sophisticated inscriptions of the Forgotten Temple:
sb5eyzxfm8ja1.jpg

The top three pictures are advanced Zonai architecture and their society at its peak, while the Forgotten Temple is Zonai architecture that was at their most advanced point of time already forgotten and basically ancient. It is the same point of time, only even at the time depicted here it was already forgotten and deserted.

d) The infamous map room of an ancient Hyrule:
HXmwSV4.jpg

It is definitely an ancient map of Hyrule (or at the least a parralel world of the same map), what makes it most obvious are the far top right and far down right spots on the map being the swirly coastline and half moon-shaped coastline respectively which are too unique of a landmark at the same exact spots as on the BotW Hyrule map.
Like always, I ask myself why this exists. It's like recreating a map in BotW of Hyrule from 10.000 years ago to show off where the Divine Beasts are located, which obviously did not happen. There is no functional reason for this map to exist as they could show off where the glyphs are on a current map of Hyrule just as well. The maps still align more than enough for that. So the only reason for it's existence other than a functional one would be just a visual/lore-related one. I doubt this.

I have more (for both segments) but this is already too long so I will I restrict myself to what I deem as most damning. If you want the less damning stuff just go through my post history in this thread and you would roughly get the gist.

Logical speculation portion

- In trailers, as in the two character art deciptions posted on Twitter, Link is continously shown off as having two main designs. We all know them by now. Why would they advertise between two main character designs for one game? People say it is just to show off different armour, but they never did this with BotW where Link with the Champion's tunic was always the advertisment centerpiece. Since the beginning this has lead me to the believe it is a hint at the game's theming: duality, binarity, yin and yang or whatever you want to call it. Furthermore, the game is litterted with a general yin and yang theme:
  • ancient Chinese mythology (which TotK is the most influenced by in addition to Mesoamerican) is of course the originator of yin and yang itself
  • Mesoamerican myth speaks of the cyclical rebirth and destruction nature of the world and the duality between earth and the heavens
  • in ancient Chinese mythology ginkgo trees relate to the idea of yin and yang
  • the double ouroboros of the TotK logo relates to the idea of yin and yang
- to add to my point made in b) above, ginkgo trees also symbolise longevity and survivability even throughout the most apocalyptic event. Relating that to TotK and ginkgo trees exclusive existence on the islands with destroyed and abandoned Zonai architecture, they could be seen as a symbol of surviving even through the destructive event that fell the Zonai empire.

- the reversed water drop into phasing Toga outfit Link from the end of the second trailer was always the most curious and intentionally edited part of that trailer:
be98f597efcf4326bff1f0d152d49aa9.gif

As I saw it and still see it, it refers to the reversing of time and how the time travel mechanic works in tandem with the sky. I have no concise explanation for that myself, but the abrupt and random cuts and edit here clearly try to hint at something

- finally, the lore and symbolism they created and pulled from for this game with the Zonai and generally the ancient history of Hyrule is just too much, Sheikah lore in BotW is really small potatoes compared to what we already can gleem here. With that comparison in mind, I have trouble seeing them creating so much lore, with so much thought and work put into it, for it just to be relegated to a rather indirect part of the game (as in flashbacks and ruins/fossils scattered around the world).

Watch this read like nothing more than a conspiracy theory in eight weeks time.

I have been looking at old videos covering the making of BotW and was reminded again that BotW‘s map is built on top of a layer of water. Probably most of you know this already and if you have ever watched one of the 1000s of videos showing how to clip through the surface of Hyrule, you will see how they always eventually land in water underneath the surface.

This was done as a way to control the water levels at various heights in the vast topography of BotW, but its main function is related to the weather system in BotW. It’s how when it rains, shallow pools of water can form on the surface, simply by raising the water level from underneath the surface, and then when it turns sunny, the water level is simply slowly lowered again creating the effect of water evaporation.

botw-slides.large.jpg

So it makes the most sense to me that when the developers for TotK we’re deciding on how to change up the map, that one of the first things, and probably most easiest things they could do, would be to play around with raising and lowering the water levels in different areas of the map.

I am still a big proponent of the localized time travel concept via something similar to the time shift stones as I realize more and more that this game will have a lot of similar concepts and gameplay elements taken from SS. The map room poses the biggest argument against localized time travel as it represents an entirely similar but different map of Hyrule based on mostly water levels with some minor changes to topography so to me it clearly represents the Hyrule of the past.

But when I add in the idea of how easy it is to simply raise and lower the water levels for the developers in a localized and controlled fashion, then I think I can make the argument that this directly supports the idea of being able to quickly switch between the past and the present on a grander and larger scale of an open world game.

If every tree and building is different, which really, they should be, it would be a bit more complicated than that, but it would be great if they can pull it off.
Considering that Link can viably be inside a rock in this game, maybe time shifting to impossible places would actually be a mechanic too..

I've been admant about it about it since the beginning and even more so since all the new info came out. I'm gonna do a @Serif in more ways than one here because posting lengthy forum posts on a phone is hell. With only 8 weeks until release, I'm also gonna bounce out of this thread and spoiling myself any further with going all-in one final time writing down my Time Travel Manifesto.

To me the most notable primarily information-based evidence:

a) These are rendered ancient Gerudo soldier NPC models from the time when Ganondorf was alive:
Screenshot-2023-02-22-02-50-10-840-edit-pdf-reader-pdfviewer-pdfeditor.jpg

First of all, they wear the same theming of jewelry as Ganondorf:
HXbutKN.jpg

Notice the exclusively gold and simple ring-shaped jewelery between the two. Most revealing, though, is the use of gold ball chains. Ganondorf has them as seen in the picture hanging off his shoulder and two hanging off his forearm. The Gerudo soldiers themselves have them on their footwear, as finger jewelry and a hairband. This style of jewelry was not worn by any of the Gerudo in BotW.

People say this could be Gerudo that sectioned off to side with Ganondorf after his revival (as they don't clearly don't belong to Riju) but
  1. that doesn't explain the typical swirl motif present on the heels here which is attached to anything that is ancient in TotK
  2. there is a type of flute (specifically a reed) in the art book clearly from these Gerudo as the flute has the same tribal markings the Gerudo clothes here have. Not only that, but the flute is seemingly well-worn and scarred from its age. Potential sectioned off Gerudo would not exist long enough (the time skip is only around ±5 years between BotW and TotK) for that to be the case (or develop independent culture in the first place)
  3. the artbook itself describing that model (and even bothering to name it in the first place) with "general Gerudo soldier"
b) We know there exist multiple Zonai NPCs thanks to the art book. People say they live in the sky but as far as we can see the sky is either abandoned and destroyed Zonai ruins or pieces of land/buildings ripped from present Hyrule itself. The thing that really makes me shoot down this idea is the state of the bird platforms runways:
HWg2YSs.jpg

2023-03-07-11-52-17-TOTKArt-Book-1-pdf-Lumin-Lumin-PDF-Editor-and-13-more-pages-In-Private.png

Not only is something probably so important for them deserted and destroyed like everything else, the bird platforms themselves lay scattered and jumbled on the runways like they got intentionally attacked and destroyed and not just simply abandoned. If the Zonai live in the sky, to me it doesn't seem like they do in the present time. The ruins point more in the direction that something happend to them as in their civilization destroyed in the act of war against Ganondorf.

c) Restored Zonai/ancient architecture in the overworld of Hyrule:
Screenshot-20230219-222933.png

b9st86d9m8ja1.jpg

js92z5t.jpeg

Here I want to mark a differentiator, from the architecture shown off above not only in top-shape but also more advanced, to the below (less so) restored and less advanced architecture and sophisticated inscriptions of the Forgotten Temple:
sb5eyzxfm8ja1.jpg

The top three pictures are advanced Zonai architecture and their society at its peak, while the Forgotten Temple is Zonai architecture that was at their most advanced point of time already forgotten and basically ancient. It is the same point of time, only even at the time depicted here it was already forgotten and deserted.

d) The infamous map room of an ancient Hyrule:
HXmwSV4.jpg

It is definitely an ancient map of Hyrule (or at the least a parralel world of the same map), what makes it most obvious are the far top right and far down right spots on the map being the swirly coastline and half moon-shaped coastline respectively which are too unique of a landmark at the same exact spots as on the BotW Hyrule map.
Like always, I ask myself why this exists. It's like recreating a map in BotW of Hyrule from 10.000 years ago to show off where the Divine Beasts are located, which obviously did not happen. There is no functional reason for this map to exist as they could show off where the glyphs are on a current map of Hyrule just as well. The maps still align more than enough for that. So the only reason for it's existence other than a functional one would be just a visual/lore-related one. I doubt this.

I have more (for both segments) but this is already too long so I will I restrict myself to what I deem as most damning. If you want the less damning stuff just go through my post history in this thread and you would roughly get the gist.

Logical speculation portion

- In trailers, as in the two character art deciptions posted on Twitter, Link is continously shown off as having two main designs. We all know them by now. Why would they advertise between two main character designs for one game? People say it is just to show off different armour, but they never did this with BotW where Link with the Champion's tunic was always the advertisment centerpiece. Since the beginning this has lead me to the believe it is a hint at the game's theming: duality, binarity, yin and yang or whatever you want to call it. Furthermore, the game is litterted with a general yin and yang theme:
  • ancient Chinese mythology (which TotK is the most influenced by in addition to Mesoamerican) is of course the originator of yin and yang itself
  • Mesoamerican myth speaks of the cyclical rebirth and destruction nature of the world and the duality between earth and the heavens
  • in ancient Chinese mythology ginkgo trees relate to the idea of yin and yang
  • the double ouroboros of the TotK logo relates to the idea of yin and yang
- to add to my point made in b) above, ginkgo trees also symbolise longevity and survivability even throughout the most apocalyptic event. Relating that to TotK and ginkgo trees exclusive existence on the islands with destroyed and abandoned Zonai architecture, they could be seen as a symbol of surviving even through the destructive event that fell the Zonai empire.

- the reversed water drop into phasing Toga outfit Link from the end of the second trailer was always the most curious and intentionally edited part of that trailer:
be98f597efcf4326bff1f0d152d49aa9.gif

As I saw it and still see it, it refers to the reversing of time and how the time travel mechanic works in tandem with the sky. I have no concise explanation for that myself, but the abrupt and random cuts and edit here clearly try to hint at something

- finally, the lore and symbolism they created and pulled from for this game with the Zonai and generally the ancient history of Hyrule is just too much, Sheikah lore in BotW is really small potatoes compared to what we already can gleem here. With that comparison in mind, I have trouble seeing them creating so much lore, with so much thought and work put into it, for it just to be relegated to a rather indirect part of the game (as in flashbacks and ruins/fossils scattered around the world).

Watch this read like nothing more than a conspiracy theory in eight weeks time.
Dang, I was hoping your last couple of posts were turning into a mini series of sorts. Definitely come back post game and share your experience, Or pop in on the 11th and be a part of our collective anxiety and excitement.
It will be fun post game to talk about all the things we thought would occur and revel in the few things we collectively or individually got right and laugh at ourselves for some of the crazy theories we had. Or mostly just laugh at me cause I got some doozies out there that I won’t delete😊 i’m sure I’m going to be saying an awful lot after release,“You know, it seemed so plausible at the time I was making that theory or had that idea.”

Dang, I was hoping your last couple of posts were turning into a mini series of sorts. Definitely come back post game and share your experience, Or pop in on the 11th and be a part of our collective anxiety and excitement.
It will be fun post game to talk about all the things we thought would occur and revel in the few things we collectively or individually got right and laugh at ourselves for some of the crazy theories we had. Or mostly just laugh at me cause I got some doozies out there that I won’t delete😊 i’m sure I’m going to be saying an awful lot after release,“You know, it seemed so plausible at the time I was making that theory or had that idea.”

Yeah, I would but I don't have infinite time and making long descriptive posts on the phone is just too cumbersome. I posted at least some stuff I wanted to, though. Of course I'll be there at release - will for sure post more stuff then as the game gives more context.

And some predictions will be wrong of course, maybe even all of them! At the end of the day this is still purely speculation no matter how sure one thinks is. Take the game for what it is and not for what one made up in his/her head.

Yeah, I would but I don't have infinite time and making long descriptive posts on the phone is just too cumbersome. I posted at least some stuff I wanted to, though. Of course I'll be there at release - will for sure post more stuff then as the game gives more context.

And some predictions will be wrong of course, maybe even all of them! At the end of the day this is still purely speculation no matter how sure one thinks is. Take the game for what it is and not for what one made up in his/her head.
Yep, I agree 100%. I learned my lesson after BotW after I imagined the game to be a lot different than it actually turned out to be. The one thing I really enjoy now about creating and reading all the theories and speculation is that it gives me a different perspective and deeper understanding of what makes the Zelda series and the community so great to be a part of.
So it’s not about being right or wrong about our theories or being disappointed because the game isn’t what you expected. It’s more about appreciating it for what it is and reading other people’s theories gives me that much more to look forward to and be excited about it regardless of what crazy direction TotK and the Zelda series as a whole moves towards to in the future.

I don't think they are ancient Gerudo for the simple fact they don't have the same rounded ears as Ganondorf (and other Gerudo in Ocarina of time)
Ganondorf is across the games the same person and would presumably have the same bodily features he had in OoT (though his ears became more pointy in WW which made no sense). His physical appearance would have nothing to do with the physical attributes of Gerudos long past the events of OoT either way.

Ganondorf's ears actually went from round to pointy during Ocarina of time's 7 years gap, so it makes sense they are pointy in WW. His ears being round in TotK is actually the weird part, if that's supposed to be the same Ganondorf incarnation as OOT.

Last edited:
Ganondorf's ears actually went from round to pointy during Ocarina of time's 7 years gap, so it makes sense they are pointy in WW. His ears being round in TotK is actually the weird part, if that's supposed to be the same Ganondorf incarnation as OOT.
If not, it would have to be FSA Ganondorf, who we never see. Ganon has floppy pig ears in that game lol

Ganondorf is across the games the same person and would presumably have the same bodily features he had in OoT (though his ears became more pointy in WW which made no sense). His physical appearance would have nothing to do with the physical attributes of Gerudos long past the events of OoT either way.

Ganondorf in OOT, TP and WW is literally the same person because he was never killed in OOT, only the WW/TP links actually managed to kill him. And I guess even WW is technically not confirmed dead dead, just trapped under an ocean of water in stone, which is arguably better for everyone because as seen later in the Twilight Princess timeline, Ganondorf is able to be reincarnated as a different person in Four Swords adventures because of being dead dead (every other time he reappears Nintendo insists on it being called resurrected and not reincarnated, as in the Hyrule historia, because he was sealed away in some method rather than killed) Similarly, Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule is a different ganondorf, and in each case we've seen he has as different body features as the different Links and Zelda's.

Last edited:
In the original OoT itself they get more pointy after the time skip, but in OoT3D which allowed for more precise models they don't. More importantly, in official art from the original of post-timeskip Ganondorf his ears are illustrated as round.

On past Zelda forums, people there always speculated that his ears became more pointy in WW because Dorf then having the Triforce made him look more evil and "demonic" over time. Nintendo until now never explained any of it so I think like always they just didn't care about consistency much and took artistic liberties instead.

The model for the adult era of Ganondorf in OOT on the N64 has a somewhat smaller head and presumably less overall polygons as he now has longer hair the cape on his model, because of this I always assumed the different Ear shapes between the two models boils down the them just having to cut corners and not being able to make his ears as round as the other model.

As for TP/WW Ganondorf. There's really no reason why they chose to give him pointed ears, it could be an artistic choice to illustrate that he's more demonic, or narratively you could say he's slowly being infused, via the Triforce, with the original Hylian race DNA, the progenitors of all surface humanoids, who were made in the image of Hylia, who herself was made by the Golden Goddesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom