• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
005b5ff3cf535229a8976ea21b542a1dcc97d3a1_00.jpg

Screenshot-2023-03-09-170600.png

Aww my child

I was watching this night in bed and I fell asleep during (lol) but it made some interesting points like how Rauru's face looks similar to the dragons in BOTW and how the some Shiekah shrines are in the Zonai labyrinths. I'm pretty sure these points have come up in this thread before but it got me thinking of another theory:

That the Zonai are actually ancient Shiekah that used to worship the dragons but after a pact between Rauru, the head dragon, and Hylia, the Shiekah clan becomes the sworn defenders of Hylia. Just a random theory that I thought about and don't necessarily believe. But why thy Shiekah are Hylia's chosen protectors is one of the enduring mysteries in the Zelda series. Skyward Sword explains why they protect the royal family but doesn't go into why they are loyal to Hylia herself. It would be something cool to explore in TotK or some future Zelda game.

Man, based on this how much time you think has passed? I’m thinking 15 years if I had to guess.
BOTW doesn't really have unique models for different aged kids, all of them are small and toddler like. I don't think we know the age of the Sheikah girl in BOTW, but assuming she's like 4-8, than this one in the book looks like 10-14 to me, based on how she looks.

So my current thoughts is that it's been like 2 to maybe as much as 7, years. Considering BOTW is inspired by Zelda 1, it'd be a neat call back to Zelda 2 if ToTK was set six years after BOTW, like how AoL is set six years after TLoZ, thus making Link and Zelda both 23.

If that's really the same kid then how much time has passed since BOTW???

EDIT: Wait hold on, the eyebrows and eye color don't match...
Can’t really argue this fact for sure, I didn’t even notice the difference. But the pose, clothing and animation definitely seem like they are meant to be the same character, Besides who, other than @Serif, is going to just happen to have this image to compare it to? We need access to Serif’s personal Zelda data base where I could probably spend a month just looking at all the cool stuff he has in it😊

BOTW doesn't really have unique models for different aged kids, all of them are small and toddler like. I don't think we know the age of the Sheikah girl in BOTW, but assuming she's like 4-8, than this one in the book looks like 10-14 to me, based on how she looks.

So my current thoughts is that it's been like 2 to maybe as much as 7, years. Considering BOTW is inspired by Zelda 1, it'd be a neat call back to Zelda 2 if ToTK was set six years after BOTW, like how AoL is set six years after TLoZ, thus making Link and Zelda both 23.
2 years definitely seems a little short, given all the new towers and structures we see on the surface. As well as all the tunnels and excavation. I like your idea of 6 years as it would also be fitting to match the time we have been waiting between games as well. I just want know how the heck they are going to explain all this story wise.

If that's really the same kid then how much time has passed since BOTW???

EDIT: Wait hold on, the eyebrows and eye color don't match...
I had the same thought when I saw the art book image initially. The problem however is there's really no one else it could be, as Kakariko, IIRC, only has two children in the whole village, the rest are the same age ballpark as Link or older.

What's weirder is she's wearing the same glasses as Purah. A part of me wants to say it's actual kid Purah, not de-aged but from when she was actually younger, but I don't know why that would be in the game story-wise, and the eyes and eyebrows are slanted in the opposite direction as Purah. Also the eye color of the two may not match. Purah's eyes are red, this girls are more orange, so I'm instead inclined to believe it's one of the Kakariko children now working under Purah as an assistant, just with the eyebrow and eye color being retconned.
2 years definitely seems a little short, given all the new towers and structures we see on the surface. As well as all the tunnels and excavation. I like your idea of 6 years as it would also be fitting to match the time we have been waiting between games as well. I just want know how the heck they are going to explain all this story wise.
It definitely has to be long enough since BOTW for the new structures to be built and for all of the Sheikah tech to have basically vanished, namely the Divine Beasts. It could still be two years, but I agree that that seems short, even if we assume all the Sheikah stuff went underground on their own.

Also it probably won't happen, but I'm kinda hoping the towers are modern day makeshift Sheikah Towers, that were repurposed from the Divine Beasts. I think logically all of Hyrule would have probably agreed to destroy the Divine Beasts post BOTW, they're super powerful but too much of a risk, so seeing them repurposed into less dangerous more beneficial things would be cool.

Assuming this was artwork of Purah is fair, though this person is wearing usual Sheikah villager clothing while Purah always has more unique outfits. And yeah - Purah's already in the artbook.

4-7 years is plausible. I'm leaning towards the lower end since Link and Zelda look basically unchanged and the world is entering early stages of rebuilding, makes sense for an 18 year old to not look so different at 22 vs. 25. It's enough time for 8 year old Koko to enter an awkward pre-teen phase at 12. Having seen a younger sibling age up, they go from basically a baby to this lanky mass of hormones in the span of 4-5 years.

Judging by the rest of the villagers, I think Sheikah develop white eyebrows matching their hair as they get older.

What if they've really gone absolutely insane and the time travel isn't just limited to two time periods, but like tons of discrete moments throughout Hyrule's history?

It would be so cool if it's actually around 6 years (the same time passed like when BOTW released). I know, they game was supposed to release much earlier than that but if would be cool either way if it would fit even if they not intended it.

There has to be some years between BotW and Totk. Hudson needs the time to repair Akkala fortress. It's vital for his villain origin story for BotW 3.

The Sheikah in the Zelda series usually have light hair and red eyes as defining characteristics. BotW is the first game where they're shown to have other eye colors, If Koko/Cottla are meant to be more significant characters now, having their eye color change to Sheikah red through aging may indicate something, or it's just a design choice.

It's a real discrepancy but I don't have an alternative explanation for who the kid is, since time must have passed between the two games and we've never seen this young girl before. I do expect other NPCs to show up in Hyrule from the outside world since it would otherwise be too limiting to only have the NPCs from the previous games, but I don't expect new Sheikah villager NPCs since they're all in Kakariko.

What if they've really gone absolutely insane and the time travel isn't just limited to two time periods, but like tons of discrete moments throughout Hyrule's history?
This thought has crossed my mind on several occasions as I try to make sense of everything. If they send us all the way back to Ganndorfs’ sealing or even earlier and we already know of some major events of past calamities who’s to say we don’t need to visit different time periods throughout Hyrules history to correct things along the way. I’ve just been selectively ignoring this thought as quickly as it pops into my head because I would much rather prefer it if it was much more localized or not all and instead with a merging or warping of time phenomenon.

This thought has crossed my mind on several occasions as I try to make sense of everything. If they send us all the way back to Ganndorfs’ sealing or even earlier and we already know of some major events of past calamities who’s to say we don’t need to visit different time periods throughout Hyrules history to correct things along the way. I’ve just been selectively ignoring this thought as quickly as it pops into my head because I would much rather prefer it if it was much more localized or not all and instead with a merging or warping of time phenomenon.
The reason I keep tossing it around is that it fits the "tears of the kingdom" title extremely well. You'll see all of the "tears" aka disasters and crises in the kingdom's history and do something about them to change the present.

Also all of the different clothing and architecture styles don't point to one specific era in the past, but several.

Also it probably won't happen, but I'm kinda hoping the towers are modern day makeshift Sheikah Towers, that were repurposed from the Divine Beasts. I think logically all of Hyrule would have probably agreed to destroy the Divine Beasts post BOTW, they're super powerful but too much of a risk, so seeing them repurposed into less dangerous more beneficial things would be cool.
This probably the most likely scenario or something similar, but they could have gone absolutely crazy with the world repairing / machine building concept and not only have us build our own machines but the smarter stronger enemies as well. So it would be the red goo malice machines against our green goo machines.
I could see the event of Ganondorf waking up happens fairly quickly after BotW, but maybe Link is either temporarily incapacitated again, or we are busy in the past before returning to several years in the future.

The reason I keep tossing it around is that it fits the "tears of the kingdom" title extremely well. You'll see all of the "tears" aka disasters and crises in the kingdom's history and do something about them to change the present.

Also all of the different clothing and architecture styles don't point to one specific era in the past, but several.
Agreed, I have just settled on for the time being satisfied for now with it’s a mixture or combination of a lot of the ideas that we have all come up with, with some elements of having a complete new ancient Hyrule, aka the map room, the ability to use localized time warping as we are out exploring and the possibility of time travel through several time periods both past and future. They all fit in way as you are describing to some extent and just as soon as I lean towards one direction as a possibility something else comes along or is brought up that pulls my thinking into another direction.

Ironically I was going to do a lengthy writeup on this theory. I considered the idea of visiting Hyrule throughout the ages or at least small sections (whatever is feasible). I saw evidence of this in the art book but ultimately haven't had the time to write an article I would deem worthy of everyone's time. An example is what looked like NES artwork of Link in the caverns but still maintaining the messed up arm. Other evidence too but it's a cool theory. :)

Just had my copy of Creating a Champion delivered which I ordered expressly to push off the desires to spoil myself here more lol

I love it, I’m dying lmao 😂

With that, I'm done. I won't be returning to Famiboards until the game is out, or not at all. I'm not having fun discussing this game anymore. Been the main reason for me to participate. (There are irl issues I have to deal with too, I've been hanging by a thread for a while)

Here's a list of my observations from the art book just to gather my scattered thoughts:

- There are distinct themed interiors that appear to be temples. We do not know what the dungeons in this game will be like, but the Divine Beasts were explicitly said by the BotW devs to be their attempt at themed dungeons. So I would not be surprised if these were their next attempts

- One is some kind of desert temple, underground. There is camel and sand seal imagery. There seems to be another location in the same temple with an altar presenting a golden magatama or 'tear'. There are seven of these tears glowing white arranged on a lotus bud, matching the count on the mural

- Another has brown, red, white theming with a puzzle that could involve rewinding and another vertical chamber with lasers as obstacles and large propeller, possibly a wind or air temple

- Another is some kind of water themed temple with pillars designed to resemble whale and shark tails. Fragments of this area are both underground and in the sky.

- Another is fire themed, with a large domed chamber and a door with five locks in the shape of four eyed lizards. Another piece of art shows a gong in a Zonai shaped gate also attached to a lava rock.

- All of these areas have Zonai design language, such as Lotus shaped lights. Zonai design also includes spirals, a decorative marketing with abstractions of dragon / owl / boar, white marble, and torii gates

- In addition to these temples, there are more 'vanilla' Zonai interiors that resemble shrines, with what appear to be physics puzzles, some involving spheres, another that could be a phasing puzzle

- There is some kind of research expedition squad with blue clothing and patterning that matches Zelda's hood. One of their members has a book with the text 'Zonai' on it in Hylian, and they have paper maps and spelunking equipment

- There are areas on the surface like the Great Plateau and Forgotten Temple that appear either restored or excavated with Zonai architecture, and what seems to be a Zonai throne room, balcony, and small temple on the surface

- The new enemies/bosses in this artbook specifically include Like Likes, a Dodongo variant called "Dongo", a goblin enemy, a huge frog like creature, a smaller frog creature with a diamond on its back, a new flying enemy of which only the wing is shown. There appear to be poison variations of the like like, goblin, and giant frog.

- There is a small yet significant time jump with new structures and settlements built in central hyrule, new shops in Lurelin, grown up Rito and Sheikah children, and possibly an expansion to Bolson construction

- The underground flora are deliberately designed to be huge versions of fungi and microscopic organisms, with what appears to be bioluminescent fish and mushrooms

- there's a new outfit that appears to be climbing gear meant for the rain, with suction cups on the gloves and feet and carabiners on Link's hip

- the translation for the new Sheikah Slate reel says 'Toribodai' reel proposal which could translate to bird lookout indicating some kind of observation or drone function for the new slate

- diamond and amber swords for potential crafting from those gemstones. Also, a sword using a redead ribcage and spine as one of the examples of enemy piece weapon mods

- not an observation, but speculation - the 11 geoglyphs + ancient temple on that map of Hyrule could be like the 12 labors of Hercules, 'dungeon quests' similar to the shrine quests in BotW, unique setpieces where the hero fulfills some major task symbolized by the geoglyph that can be done in any order. I also think the geoglyphs are are navigational tools when you're up in the sky

Cheers.

Last edited:
With that, I'm done. I won't be returning to Famiboards until the game is out, or not at all. I'm also not having fun discussing this game anymore. Been the main reason for me to participate. (There are irl issues I have to deal with too, I've been hanging by a thread for a while)

Here's a list of my observations from the art book just to gather my scattered thoughts:

- There are distinct themed interiors that appear to be temples. We do not know what the dungeons in this game will be like, but the Divine Beasts were explicitly said by the BotW devs to be their attempt at themed dungeons. So I would not be surprised if these were their next attempts

- One is some kind of desert temple, underground. There is camel and sand seal imagery. There seems to be another location in the same temple with an altar presenting a golden magatama or 'tear'. There are seven of these tears glowing white arranged on a lotus bud, matching the count on the mural

- Another has brown, red, white theming with a puzzle that could involve rewinding and another vertical chamber with lasers as obstacles and large propeller, possibly a wind or air temple

- Another is some kind of water themed temple with pillars designed to resemble whale and shark tails. Fragments of this area are both underground and in the sky.

- Another is fire themed, with a large domed chamber and a door with five locks in the shape of four eyed lizards. Another piece of art shows a gong in a Zonai shaped gate also attached to a lava rock.

- All of these areas have Zonai design language, such as Lotus shaped lights. Zonai design also includes spirals, a decorative marketing with abstractions of dragon / owl / boar, white marble, and torii gates

- In addition to these temples, there are more 'vanilla' Zonai interiors that resemble shrines, with what appear to be physics puzzles, some involving spheres, another that could be a phasing puzzle

- There is some kind of research expedition squad with blue clothing and patterning that matches Zelda's hood. One of their members has a book with the text 'Zonai' on it in Hylian, and they have paper maps and spelunking equipment

- There are areas on the surface like the Great Plateau and Forgotten Temple that appear either restored or excavated with Zonai architecture, and what seems to be a Zonai throne room, balcony, and small temple on the surface

- The new enemies/bosses in this artbook specifically include Like Likes, a Dodongo variant called "Dongo", a goblin enemy, a huge frog like creature, a smaller frog creature with a diamond on its back, a new flying enemy of which only the wing is shown. There appear to be poison variations of the like like, goblin, and giant frog.

- There is a small yet significant time jump with new structures and settlements built in central hyrule, new shops in Lurelin, grown up Rito and Sheikah children, and possibly an expansion to Bolson construction

- The underground flora are deliberately designed to be huge versions of fungi and microscopic organisms, with what appears to be bioluminescent fish and mushrooms

- there's a new outfit that appears to be climbing gear meant for the rain, with suction cups on the gloves and feet and carabiners on Link's hip

- the translation for the new Sheikah Slate reel says 'Toribodai' reel proposal which could translate to bird lookout indicating some kind of observation or drone function for the new slate

- diamond and amber swords for potential crafting from those gemstones. Also, a sword using a redead ribcage and spine as one of the examples of enemy piece weapon mods

- not an observation, but speculation - the 11 geoglyphs + ancient temple on that map of Hyrule could be like the 12 labors of Hercules, 'dungeon quests' similar to the shrine quests in BotW, unique setpieces where the hero fulfills some major task symbolized by the geoglyph that can be done in any order. I also think the geoglyphs are are navigational tools when you're up in the sky

Cheers.
Hopefully, you will reconsider after some time away or become interested in discussing the game again. I have very much appreciated all of your wonderful insights and all of your awesome posts have definitely helped the community and myself cope with the long wait for the game to come out.

I just noticed something about this picture of Link with the Goron's cooking. For one we see link with what looks like his traditional BotW garb and the Hylian Shield. I can't tell if he has the Mastersword with him or not. This could just be a place holder for Link but I find it odd.

Goran-full-cooking-pic-done.jpg

Also something I never considered, is that technically with Death mountain dormant and or erupting Malice, the Gorons could be living just about anywhere now. While I don't necessarily think they would stray too far away from Death Mountain, it does leave open the possibility, The last picture seems to depict that the Gorons are relying on wood now to cook from as we see different stages of the cooking rock being heated up and bundles of wood.

Goran-cooking.jpg

Goran-full-cooking-pic-done.jpg

Also something I never considered, is that technically with Death mountain dormant and or erupting Malice, the Gorons could be living just about anywhere now. While I don't necessarily think they would stray too far away from Death Mountain, it does leave open the possibility, The last picture seems to depict that the Gorons are relying on wood now to cook from as we see different stages of the cooking rock being heated up and bundles of wood.
Somehow I always pictured this on the top of the Gut Check Rock where you can do this climbing challenge. But yeah, it can be anywhere.

With that, I'm done. I won't be returning to Famiboards until the game is out, or not at all. I'm not having fun discussing this game anymore. Been the main reason for me to participate. (There are irl issues I have to deal with too, I've been hanging by a thread for a while)

Cheers.
I've enjoyed your contributions a lot. Hang in there, Serif. <3

Cheers.

Your contributions to the forum have not gone unnoticed. I really appreciate the time and care you put into your posts.

I understand how important it is to prioritize various things in life and I fully support you doing whatever you feel is best for you. Good luck

Cheers.
Damn, you were really the biggest GOAT, I see that you requested a self ban and would not be coming till June. Good luck.

I love reading everyone’s theories, speculation, and observations. Wild and out there guess based on what others have noticed. Those weird glowing green Zonai objects allow you to travel dimensions freely. The dimension of length(method of teleporting/fast travel across Hyrule), height(certain locations that allow Link to travel up to the sky island and through objects), depth(set locations that allow him to enter the underground), time, and alternate dimensions(the swirling Zonai pattern we see). When you go back in time or alternate dimensions, it is limited areas like the time shift stones but are significantly larger areas that you can explore compared to SS. It will reference most major titles throughout the series. You may travel back in time and possibly even the different timeline splits to a specific zone and be somewhere before/after the events of certain games. Through these portals, you may end up in different time periods, alternate worlds or various timeline splits such as pre-SS, in between SS and TMC, Pre-OoT, in between OoT and WW, Labrynna from OoA, Holodrum from OoS, Lorule from ALBW, Termina from MM, Twilight Realm from TP, pre-AOC period, LoZ/AoL era, etc. it won’t be explicitly spelled out but the events and everything occurring would help long time fans piece it together. Unifying the different tears across Hyrule, above and below Hyrule, as well as Time and Space to defeat the malice and

Speculation that Rauru was a powerful diety and formed a union with Hylia. A Zonai named Ganon intent on overthrowing Rauru becomes corrupted by the malice. He goes to take the Zonai on his own, taking his own arm to stop Ganon. It results in slowly corrupting him and syphoning his power. He becomes Demise and attacks Hylia. Ganondorf becomes corrupted where the hatred/malice once again slowly grows within him as well as having Rauru’s power. We see a characters that bears a similar resemblance to Link wearing the same outfit that Link is seen wearing in promo art. Also next to him is a depiction of Sheik, slightly different from the artwork of BotW Link wearing the Sheik outfit. Perhaps this character is Hylia’s original chosen hero and he takes on the Sheik disguise becoming the legendary Sheik talked about in OoT when trying to rescue her. We may even meet Twinrova when they were younger prior to becoming the older witches. The Zonai were also the race of people that got sealed away in the Twilight Realm. Midna is a descendant of Rauru.

The underground is broken up into different sections like SS, possibly 6- 7 different sections. The minish now live underground and Zelda stays in the underground beneath the castle for the game, maybe in a different time period than the present. Each underground section can be accessed through the overworld but there are different requirements, people you have to meet, and things that have to be done/obtained to gain access to each section of the underground. We see the 11 geoglyphs but we also see something similar on the pirate ship, maybe these are clues to gaining access to the different underground portions. The underground in each section fulfills a similar role to dungeons and the overworld sections of Skyward Sword.

The central area beneath hyrule castle where Zelda resides is a central dungeon with similar gameplay mechanics to the Temple of the Ocean King in PH and Spirit Tower in ST. Zelda serves as a companion while exploring this central region and offers similar gameplay to her role in ST and the sages role in the WW temples. To beat the game you have to traverse the central dungeon to get access to present time Hyrule Castle and defeat Ganondorf. You can do this from the beginning of the game, after the opening section similar to BotW. Zelda has the old Sheikah slate while Link has the newer Sheikah slate. While Link is away from Zelda he and her can communicate via the Sheikah Slate offering similar functionality to Navi, Tetra, Fi, and Midna when the player needs guidance or different story elements.

The Sky portion offers similar gameplay to the islands in WW and the shrines in BotW. Figuring out how to reach various sky islands across the map plays a key portion similar to finding the shrines and accessing them. Instead of collecting Korok seeds you are collecting tears which provide different upgrades and powerups.

The various dimensional/time portals you enter serve a similar purpose to the memories in BotW as well as altering/restoring parts of Hyrule in present day and obtaining tears. You may also obtain different items that can be beneficial or fun to use.

Last edited:
could anyone tell me where I might find an active link to the artbook? Maybe on a message?

Also just realised that within the lotus flower with the tears, they are arranged around a small statuette of the Zonai pyramid

Also just realised that within the lotus flower with the tears, they are arranged around a small statuette of the Zonai pyramid
I thought so too at first, but when they are compared side by side they look different. It would make sense tho, perhaps its just a stylized representation.

lotus-flower-image-with-temple.jpg

Just a few random observations from the Art Book leaks I have noticed. I have a lot of them, so I will post some more leading up to whenever we get more official news on TotK from Nintendo.

I would like to discuss and read others peoples theories and ideas as well, I just don't see anyone posting anymore of them here and especially in the other thread, where it seems like too many people just want to be negative and tbh it's not very enjoyable to be apart of in my opinion. I'm sure that will change once they get more news, since they haven't seen the Art Book leaks, which if you think about it, pretty much everyone who has seen the leaks has a much more positive outlook on the game.

The game is going to be amazing, and I'm willing to go way into speculative territory on theories and ideas anyone has as it always sparks new ideas and theories of my own. @NewPueblo to answer your question in the other thread on "where to find high quality images from the trailers." One thing you can do is just Google Tears of the kingdom along with specific things you are looking for like "Sky islands". Once a bunch of images pop up, then use Google lens and click on find source. Once you get the result click on different image sizes, and it will always display the largest image first available which is usually a 4k image of that photo if its available.

This photo has been bothering me for awhile as I can't decide what I think it will be used for:

Lotus-flower-we-com.jpg

We see two versions of what I am calling a Lotus staff, a shorter version on the right and a longer version on the left. So if it was a weapon, it would make sense to have a one handed version vs a two handed version. I am also thinking that you might be able to use it as both, with the shorter version being able to expand into the larger version because they look identical. You would just pull the bottom handle of the small version down to make it longer and do the same for the top as it looks like it might slide open to create the longer version.

So if it is a weapon, then given my lengthy post awhile back (3/2) on the importance of Lotus flower in this game and how across cultures it symbolizes purity, spiritual enlightenment, cycles of rebirth, and self-realization. Then it's an odd choice to make a weapon out of it. It also doesn't strike me as a weapon that would actually break in the traditional sense of BotWs game play.

When I first saw the picture in the Art book, I was really excited because I thought specific items might be returning. And someone had theorized awhile back before we saw the last trailer that a cool feature they would like see would be if we were tasked with eradicating all the malice on the surface or removing it in certain sections to uncover new areas or areas not previously accessible to us. I don't have a translated version of this image, if anyone has it and can translate some of the writing that might help, or have any ideas on the Lotus flower staff?

Seems like the lotus flower will be important to the game. Could it be something like the Chamber of Sages of OoT?
I 100% agree, its seen everywhere and in almost every photo of different locations pictured in the Art Book. I think it will represent the more spiritual side of Links journey for the most part, but I could see it being front and center throughout the whole game as well.

When I first saw the picture in the Art book, I was really excited because I thought specific items might be returning. And someone had theorized awhile back before we saw the last trailer that a cool feature they would like see would be if we were tasked with eradicating all the malice on the surface or removing it in certain sections to uncover new areas or areas not previously accessible to us. I don't have a translated version of this image, if anyone has it and can translate some of the writing that might help, or have any ideas on the Lotus flower staff?
so it could be like a suck rod to extract malice?

I 100% agree, its seen everywhere and in almost every photo of different locations pictured in the Art Book. I think it will represent the more spiritual side of Links journey for the most part, but I could see it being front and center throughout the whole game as well.
Iirc, someone made a comparison to the flowers of SS Silent Realms, that blooms after Link gets the lights or something like that.

Recently, Zeltik made a video about the spiritual side of that quest, so it must be releated like you mentioned.

Maybe this game will be more influenced by SS than we though initially.

Just a few random observations from the Art Book leaks I have noticed. I have a lot of them, so I will post some more leading up to whenever we get more official news on TotK from Nintendo.

I would like to discuss and read others peoples theories and ideas as well, I just don't see anyone posting anymore of them here and especially in the other thread, where it seems like too many people just want to be negative and tbh it's not very enjoyable to be apart of in my opinion. I'm sure that will change once they get more news, since they haven't seen the Art Book leaks, which if you think about it, pretty much everyone who has seen the leaks has a much more positive outlook on the game.

The game is going to be amazing, and I'm willing to go way into speculative territory on theories and ideas anyone has as it always sparks new ideas and theories of my own. @NewPueblo to answer your question in the other thread on "where to find high quality images from the trailers." One thing you can do is just Google Tears of the kingdom along with specific things you are looking for like "Sky islands". Once a bunch of images pop up, then use Google lens and click on find source. Once you get the result click on different image sizes, and it will always display the largest image first available which is usually a 4k image of that photo if its available.

This photo has been bothering me for awhile as I can't decide what I think it will be used for:

Lotus-flower-we-com.jpg

We see two versions of what I am calling a Lotus staff, a shorter version on the right and a longer version on the left. So if it was a weapon, it would make sense to have a one handed version vs a two handed version. I am also thinking that you might be able to use it as both, with the shorter version being able to expand into the larger version because they look identical. You would just pull the bottom handle of the small version down to make it longer and do the same for the top as it looks like it might slide open to create the longer version.

So if it is a weapon, then given my lengthy post awhile back (3/2) on the importance of Lotus flower in this game and how across cultures it symbolizes purity, spiritual enlightenment, cycles of rebirth, and self-realization. Then it's an odd choice to make a weapon out of it. It also doesn't strike me as a weapon that would actually break in the traditional sense of BotWs game play.

I actually like the design. I doubt it’s a normal weapon, as looks like something important.

For some reason, it reminds me of the rod of Oracle of seasons, however it doesn’t change seasons, but does something else to the environment.

Lotus-flower-we-com.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I'll try doing that.

Also I'm glad you brought up the Lotus Staff. It looks awfully close to something like a dungeon item and it's made me excited at the possibility we will get special weapons or armor sets in this game's dungeons.

Speaking of, the color scheme of the staff itself makes my mind go straight to the pictures of the 'water temple' we've seen. I can see us getting it from there due to the simple fact that flowing water is seen as purifying, but also because this isn't the first time we've seen a potential dungeon item that shares similar colors to a dungeon.

An observation that was made by Serif I believe (RIP btw), was that the wing glider suit had the same colors and decorative artwork as the wind temple. He even posted the possibility of one of the more ornate rooms in the dungeon being where you find it. The picture above shows that room.

Finally, I'd like to propose the idea that we've seen the "dungeon item" for the earth temple as well. It's a small thing but there's a strange looking machination in the leaks that I haven't seen much talk about. It looks about the right size to be held or manipulated in some way, and also shares a fundamental design quirk with one of the new Gerudo warriors.

I think if these are in fact dungeon items then maybe they work differently than in past Zelda games, in that they aren't necessarily used in the dungeon they are found (I don't see you being able to fully utilize the wingsuit in an enclosed space like a temple), but at the same time would be worthwhile rewards that can aid you while playing through the overworld.

How would y'all feel if this was the case? What would you want to see from potential dungeon items in TotK?

so it could be like a suck rod to extract malice?
Yah not sure how it would work, I just really liked the idea. Maybe it could solidify the Malice first so we could walk on it, then be harvest it as a resource so we have green goo and red goo. Or maybe it would repel malice as we get close to it, or act like an umbrella shield so we can walk through the malice streams from death mountain or the ones in Hyrule field.
Iirc, someone made a comparison to the flowers of SS Silent Realms, that blooms after Link gets the lights or something like that.

Recently, Zeltik made a video about the spiritual side of that quest, so it must be releated like you mentioned.

Maybe this game will be more influenced by SS than we though initially.
The more and more I look at the pictures it feels like we are almost going to be playing a redesigned new version of SS, something tells me they haven’t forgot or got over how the fact that that game didn’t meet expectations. I loved SS just not the motion controls.
I actually like the design. I doubt it’s a normal weapon, as looks like something important.

For some reason, it reminds me of the rod of Oracle of seasons, however it doesn’t change seasons, but does something else to the environment.
I hadn’t thought about a way to change Seasons in game with an item. I would love for this to be the case. With one aspect of the Lotus flower representing the cycle of Life, Desth and rebirth, Something to do with Seasons makes a lot of sense to me.

Yah not sure how it would work, I just really liked the idea. Maybe it could solidify the Malice first so we could walk on it, then be harvest it as a resource so we have green goo and red goo. Or maybe it would repel malice as we get close to it, or act like an umbrella shield so we can walk through the malice streams from death mountain or the ones in Hyrule field.

The more and more I look at the pictures it feels like we are almost going to be playing a redesigned new version of SS, something tells me they haven’t forgot or got over how the fact that that game didn’t meet expectations. I loved SS just not the motion controls.

I hadn’t thought about a way to change Seasons in game with an item. I would love for this to be the case. With one aspect of the Lotus flower representing the cycle of Life, Desth and rebirth, Something to do with Seasons makes a lot of sense to me.
Agreed. Since SS release, I’ve been thinking that maybe their original idea for the game was to be open world, that Link can dive from the sky at any point, and then look for Zelda with the dowsing ability.

Maybe they are finally able to develop part of their original concept.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try doing that.

Also I'm glad you brought up the Lotus Staff. It looks awfully close to something like a dungeon item and it's made me excited at the possibility we will get special weapons or armor sets in this game's dungeons.

Speaking of, the color scheme of the staff itself makes my mind go straight to the pictures of the 'water temple' we've seen. I can see us getting it from there due to the simple fact that flowing water is seen as purifying, but also because this isn't the first time we've seen a potential dungeon item that shares similar colors to a dungeon.

An observation that was made by Serif I believe (RIP btw), was that the wing glider suit had the same colors and decorative artwork as the wind temple. He even posted the possibility of one of the more ornate rooms in the dungeon being where you find it. The picture above shows that room.

Finally, I'd like to propose the idea that we've seen the "dungeon item" for the earth temple as well. It's a small thing but there's a strange looking machination in the leaks that I haven't seen much talk about. It looks about the right size to be held or manipulated in some way, and also shares a fundamental design quirk with one of the new Gerudo warriors.

I think if these are in fact dungeon items then maybe they work differently than in past Zelda games, in that they aren't necessarily used in the dungeon they are found (I don't see you being able to fully utilize the wingsuit in an enclosed space like a temple), but at the same time would be worthwhile rewards that can aid you while playing through the overworld.

How would y'all feel if this was the case? What would you want to see from potential dungeon items in TotK?

Being that I am in the camp that the Art Book most likely is only depicting things or places found in the first quarter of the game, so it doesn’t really spoil any thing for anyone who purchases the CE, it makes sense the Lotus Staff and the wing suit would have themed areas where you get them from. It would also make it easier for the Devs to ensure all players got these items, being early in the game and tell a more linear story around them.
The wing suit is probably the only photo I wish I hadn’t seen from a spoiler perspective, I guarantee it’s one thing Nintendo didn’t want seen before they show the last trailer, which I'm guessing will definitely be in it. People who haven’t seen that photo are going to lose their minds when they see Link flying in that thing, which I probably will still too, but just not as crazy.
I had always thought that the Machination was the thing Link uses in the trailer to manipulate the sky island. I never gave it much thought other than it will be used, probably with motion controls, to rotate sky islands or to use with puzzles. I think you can kind of make out the copper portion in the middle but its hard to tell for sure. So maybe your right and its an actual item we get and can use it on other things as well.

mac-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was @sanstea who pointed out all the swirls patterns a while back and their possible ties to the Gerudo as well. But one major thing they remind me of, isn't a swirl at all but a closed fist in this picture from the Art Book of what looks like to be a stone carving of possibly Rauru and could potentially have a much deeper meaning. I've been meaning to bring up this picture of Rauru for awhile because it's a very strange pose. In the trailer on the mural we see him with his arms open with 7 Tears surrounding him, so it's really weird to see him in this pose all closed off and fists clinched, kind of the opposite of how he was originally depicted.
Rfist.jpg

I am definitely wanting to have special items back in the game. And like you said, they don't have to be a way to complete a dungeon type thing, but finally a decent reward for completing a specific area. I don't mind some linearity in the game and actually would prefer a nice mixture of openness and linearity but I have trouble believing the Devs will go that route. I say this with the potential dungeons in mind, if they can find a way to keep them relatively open and maybe only some being a requirement to complete the game I think they could still work.

The game is going to naturally funnel the player into some linear situations in caves and probably specific ways we can only reach some of the sky islands, so its in these locations I could see us finding specific items and will most likely be where some of the major story beats take place as well. They just need to find clever ways to trick players who can only see a Zelda game needing to be as open as BotW in order to still feel like they have complete freedom in the game. If someone doesn't want to drag through a long dungeon they shouldn't have to, but if you put some really cool items at the end of said dungeon, then they might not mind as much and possibly enjoy the journey as well. As far as actual items, I just want to be surprised on what the items actually do or can do, and then have fun with them throughout the game.

@NewPueblo just saw this image posted up over on Reddit as it relates to gyro machine thing we have been discussing. They do look like mini versions of it or something we might be able to forge and create as an item of some sort. It might be different, but it looks very similar.

forged-item-2.jpg

The swirl pattern is not Gerudo specific - it's general derocative design used in ancient Hyrule times across all tribes/races. It is depicted on the green golem, the bird mask, the Zonai armor, the sailing bird statue, the Gerudo heels and lots more. So the proposed dungeon item above could be from anywhere.

If you're curious, I've been reading up on some history at that time and the swirl motif is based the ancient Xiangyun depiction, the Xicalcoliuhqui and more generally the Meander (and even more generally brought together under the key pattern umbrella). The motif has been used by a multitude of global cultures in human history. So just like in TotK, the motif was present all over the ancient world and interestingly largely even developed independent of each other.

1000_F_404497534_PuotKxuB6kacIHu4S3Fs1JwdAambL9aa.jpg

Classic Roman-greek/hellenistic frame design

1280px-Ding_%28cooking_vessel%29%2C_China%2C_Shang_dynasty%2C_1300-1046_BC%2C_bronze_-_Royal_Ontario_Museum_-_DSC03993.JPG

Chinese cooking vesel from the Shang dynasty

El_Tajin_%289785936503%29.jpg

Here it is pre-columbian ancient societies (mesoamerican/mayan/aztec)

So it was present in all ancient societies that TotK's art design is heavily influenced by. If you want to read up on the possible meaning of the motif just click on the links above. In the Wiki entry for Meander it is said that "the design is common to the present-day in classicizing architecture" and that's what they seem to be doing with the motif in TotK. Essentially they plaster that motif over everything that is supposed to be part of and from ancient Hyrule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom