• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the final battle, it looks like Ganondorf has defeated Link but Link has one more hidden trick up his sleeve. He pulls out the new Shiekah Slate and reveals that sides can be slid off, revealing their true power

ofmQvs2.gif

Maybe all this speculation is wrong and it makes it even better when we find out the truth when we play the game

That's the most important thing.

Speculation is always fun, but it shouldn't manifest in absolute expectations for something. Something isn't suddenly terrible because it doesn't do what you essentially made up in your head beforehand.

The game will have lots of things you never thought and speculated about. If it also has things you speculated about then that's only a bonus, but not a necessity.

In the final battle, it looks like Ganondorf has defeated Link but Link has one more hidden trick up his sleeve. He pulls out the new Shiekah Slate and reveals that sides can be slid off, revealing their true power

ofmQvs2.gif
nintendo_switch_2.gif

messages.png

Dearest Reader
Fortune favors the bold

Do not put off until tomorrow

tarrey.png

Hyrule
First
Ever

Enokida (Hudson)
Construction Shop

That's the most important thing.

Speculation is always fun, but it shouldn't manifest in absolute expectations for something. Something isn't suddenly terrible because it doesn't do what you essentially made up in your head beforehand.

The game will have lots of things you never thought and speculated about. If it also has things you speculated about then that's only a bonus, but not a necessity.
For example:

I'm expecting there to be no Switch 2 this year.

That is, err, my expectation.

Now my speculation is that Ganondorf gets a wife or something.

Seriously, it would be cool if he had a close acquaintance of... some sort, I don't know.

But someone that he also loves or at least likes would be nice.

Might humanize the character more.

Idk.

glider.png
ofqnbbisr7ha1.jpg

Foot symbols match the hand. I think some areas may have explicit indicators of where one can phase through, while others are less obvious and require some experimentation. Likewise, would some objects have a hand symbol to indicate some interaction?

phasingpuzzle.png

I think this is a phasing puzzle in one of the new shrine mini-dungeons. You cannot climb up the walls or this structure, you have to phase upwards through the portions that are sticking out. Small platforms in the middle, probably to allow for magic cooldowns for the ability. This could even be combined with momentum reversal - you may have to rewind the rotation of one of the sections to create a linear upward path.

Yeah, I thought it is right in front of the temple of time (because of the stairs left and right) - but with the 'balcony' and the pillars intact.

From the recent Looyigi Bros video, a new structure in the Akkala Citadel
Screenshot-2023-03-02-164939.png

Curiously, we see nothing of the citadel in the book, I anticipate it'll play a huge role as a military site for the Hyrule rebuilding.

I'm eager to see these new settlements and expansions of previous villages.
settlement.png

lurelin.png

Source.

This image where the pillars are labelled with 'balcony' is also on the Great Plateau.
I'm not 100% sold on this. It could be accurate but I think the orientation of the structure in the art book is different than the shot of BOTW. If you look in the upper lefthand corner of the art book image I'm pretty sure the random splotches of red and black is supposed to be Hyrule Castle.

Yeah we're totally getting time travel.
Yeah, it's seeming more and more likely. I'd still say it's restricted to certain areas of the map, because having a double world in this size plus Under- and Skyrule is... woof.
I'm leaning more towards a "worlds merging" concept because I'm not even sure time travel explains some things (like the Zonai-styled great plateau showing up in that one trailer cutscene with a green swirly thing in the background) though maybe some sort of localized time travel would still work?

They're definitely not doing a full second overworld, that would be kinda ludicrous

I'm leaning more towards a "worlds merging" concept because I'm not even sure time travel explains some things (like the Zonai-styled great plateau showing up in that one trailer cutscene with a green swirly thing in the background) though maybe some sort of localized time travel would still work?

They're definitely not doing a full second overworld, that would be kinda ludicrous
Yeah I still think a DQ7 style "restore the area" event can happen at each of the 11 zones, where you go back in time to an isolated area and event then come back to a changed present (like new sky islands in that zone).

Oh yeah, I'd much prefer a worlds merging/dimension shift/whatever shenanigans to mix up the world in a big way without doing time travel... AGAIN.

Let's pray to Hylia together! HIYAA

I'm not 100% sold on this. It could be accurate but I think the orientation of the structure in the art book is different than the shot of BOTW. If you look in the upper lefthand corner of the art book image I'm pretty sure the random splotches of red and black is supposed to be Hyrule Castle.
I saw those as the tops of those reddish trees in Akkala, i.e. there's a seasonal shift depicted in that artwork.
Oh yeah, I'd much prefer a worlds merging/dimension shift/whatever shenanigans
(Looks at MonolithSoft) 👀

Last edited:
So you're telling me that Link has to go to certain points in time to get a set of McGuffins so he can fight the big bad again and defeat him for good this time? And also his arm is damaged?

ce3.jpg

That could be (and very likely is) a cutscene snippet/flashback cutscene from the very past.

We're definitely getting some sort of time travel. To what extent is yet to be determined.

I'm not sure what's so played out by time travel in this case. A huge 3D open-world game where you can travel between the past and present version doesn't exist and would be incredible for all sorts of reasons. If it ever happens, then now where they are reusing the engine and the open-world from the previous game completely.

As soon as they said they were reusing the same open-world and it was set after the events of the first game, I was set time travel would be involved in some way because it's the easiest a) idea for a pitch for a Zelda game that takes place on the same map b) way to dramatically change lots of parts in the overworld completely without having to explain much (it's different because it's Hyrule from over 10.000 years ago the end).

I'm not sure what's so played out by time travel in this case. A huge 3D open-world game where you can travel between the past and present version doesn't exist and would be incredible for all sorts of reasons. If it ever happens, then now where they are reusing the engine and the open-world from the previous game completely.

As soon as they said they were reusing the same open-world and it was set after the events of the first game, I was set time travel would be involved in some way because it's the easiest a) idea for a pitch for a Zelda game that takes place on the same map b) way to dramatically change lots of parts in the overworld completely without having to explain much (it's different because it's Hyrule from over 10.000 years ago the end).
Fully agree. It obviously has to be executed well, but time travel could be awesome.

Time travelling between multiple variations of the same location was really only in Ocarina, Twilight (for the Temple of Time dungeon, sort of), Oracle of Ages, and Skyward Sword (through Timeshift Zones and the Sealed Grounds). These were all different takes, TotK may have its own.

IMO, there is either some sort of time travel or there are multiple dimensions merging. I will say the Zonai labyrinths being in the sky continues to throw me for a loop. So does the map room with the 11 icons that shows an ancient palace in place of Hyrule Castle but also a brand new Sheikah slate. None of it makes any sense if we’re restricted to modern day Hyrule.

IMO, there is either some sort of time travel or there are multiple dimensions merging. I will say the Zonai labyrinths being in the sky continues to throw me for a loop. So does the map room with the 11 icons that shows an ancient palace in place of Hyrule Castle but also a brand new Sheikah slate. None of it makes any sense if we’re restricted to modern day Hyrule.
The Zonai labyrinths can just be sent in the air, that's not too weird (though still a pretty significant change to happen mid game)

The map though is pretty weird

There have been a lot of hints towards the possibilities of having Seasons in TotK from the missing snow in the trailer around the southern end of the Great Plateau, to the shadows cast at different times of the day compared to BotW and to the Sun and Moon in possibly different locations in the sky. The Art book also shows what looks like to be different stages of growth in plants life cycles, which I also think have a different purpose, which I will get into later. as well as some other pictures in the Art book which potentially have more meaning than when you first look at them.

I've been doing a lot of research again on the importance of the Lotus flower as depicted throughout the Art Book, sometimes subtle and other times directly referencing the Lotus flower. I thought it would nice to have a really good idea of what the Lotus represents and the different stages of it's life cycle when playing TotK to understand the deeper meaning of the game as I play through it. To keep this short, These are just a few of the ideas I have and their potential meaning for the game, feel free to punch holes in my ideas, expand on them or throw your arms up and call me crazy.

Stages of growth - Lotus seeds are impervious to water and the outer shell must be filed down to expose the inner bud in order to grow them on your own and get them to germinate. The Lotus grows in Lake beds and in murky waters, underwater in the shallow soil, and will first sprout it's leaves which will float on the surface and are also basically water proof, while the inners are also mostly hollow allowing them to float. During the warmest month, depending which region of the World you live in the flowers will bloom only for 3 days. More on this later, but after pollination either from self pollinating or cross pollination, the leaves will wither off, leaving only the buds full of developing seeds which will eventually be scattered by wind or other means to start the process again.

In some Buddhist schools, the flower’s stage of growth represents different stages on the path to enlightenment. A closed bud symbolizes the time before enlightenment, while a fully bloomed lotus represents full enlightenment. Sometimes a flower is partly open, with its center hidden, indicating that enlightenment is beyond ordinary sight. The lotus flower has significance across many cultures and religions. Lotus meaning connects to ideas of spiritual enlightenment, cycles of rebirth, and self-realization.

Stages-of-growth-of-the-lotus-compete.jpg

lotus-flower-image-complete.jpg

So, some of my ideas are that the "Tears" are represented by either the Lotus seeds themselves or by the inner petals as depicted by the Art book photo on the left. With 7 main Tears represented as part of a whole a Tear (When the Lotus is closed). My thoughts are after the world of Hyrule was formed by the three Goddesses of Din, Nayru and Farore, the murual represents a depiction of the first "Adam and Eve," with basket Lady representing the cycle of life, death and rebirth and Rauru who is the Sage of Light and just as important helped construct the Temple of Time.

Izanami, is the creator deity of both creation and death in Japanese mythology, as well as the Shinto mother goddess. When looking at the symbolism on Basket Lady's dress, I think it relates to the Lotus flower as well as the repeated cycle of Life, Death and Rebirth.

basket-lady-full-complete.jpg

The deeper meaning behind the importance of Seasons being in this game correlates to the endless cycle of Life, Death and Rebirth. We see this in the Logo and more importantly with the cupping of hands in a circle which further emphasis this cycle. The basket of what I think are strawberries was bothering me and I thought an odd choice. I couldn't find any symbolism of Gods in Japanese culture bearing fruit, especially strawberries.
But giving fruit is very common, and especially as an offering at Temples to Gods. Coincidentally, giving fruit is a representation of Seasons as well. The next images are that of blooming Lotus flowers found in the Art book. Lotus flowers as stated earlier can only bloom in the warmest months of the year, usually in July. So either these two images are depicting that we are only playing in the month of July, are cutscenes to the past during July or hint again at Seasons being in the game.
LOTUS-complete.jpg

Going on with the idea of Seasons as a possible theme, @Serif had mentioned this photo as a training schedule, which makes a lot of sense. But if we add into the idea of seasons and change it from a training schedule to a time to hunt during the seasons and which weapons are best for that time period, you could also get this as a possibility as well.

hunting-schedule.jpg

There have been a lot of hints towards the possibilities of having Seasons in TotK from the missing snow in the trailer around the southern end of the Great Plateau, to the shadows cast at different times of the day compared to BotW and to the Sun and Moon in possibly different locations in the sky. The Art book also shows what looks like to be different stages of growth in plants life cycles, which I also think have a different purpose, which I will get into later. as well as some other pictures in the Art book which potentially have more meaning than when you first look at them.

I've been doing a lot of research again on the importance of the Lotus flower as depicted throughout the Art Book, sometimes subtle and other times directly referencing the Lotus flower. I thought it would nice to have a really good idea of what the Lotus represents and the different stages of it's life cycle when playing TotK to understand the deeper meaning of the game as I play through it. To keep this short, These are just a few of the ideas I have and their potential meaning for the game, feel free to punch holes in my ideas, expand on them or throw your arms up and call me crazy.

Stages of growth - Lotus seeds are impervious to water and the outer shell must be filed down to expose the inner bud in order to grow them on your own and get them to germinate. The Lotus grows in Lake beds and in murky waters, underwater in the shallow soil, and will first sprout it's leaves which will float on the surface and are also basically water proof, while the inners are also mostly hollow allowing them to float. During the warmest month, depending which region of the World you live in the flowers will bloom only for 3 days. More on this later, but after pollination either from self pollinating or cross pollination, the leaves will wither off, leaving only the buds full of developing seeds which will eventually be scattered by wind or other means to start the process again.

In some Buddhist schools, the flower’s stage of growth represents different stages on the path to enlightenment. A closed bud symbolizes the time before enlightenment, while a fully bloomed lotus represents full enlightenment. Sometimes a flower is partly open, with its center hidden, indicating that enlightenment is beyond ordinary sight. The lotus flower has significance across many cultures and religions. Lotus meaning connects to ideas of spiritual enlightenment, cycles of rebirth, and self-realization.

Stages-of-growth-of-the-lotus-compete.jpg

lotus-flower-image-complete.jpg

So, some of my ideas are that the "Tears" are represented by either the Lotus seeds themselves or by the inner petals as depicted by the Art book photo on the left. With 7 main Tears represented as part of a whole a Tear (When the Lotus is closed). My thoughts are after the world of Hyrule was formed by the three Goddesses of Din, Nayru and Farore, the murual represents a depiction of the first "Adam and Eve," with basket Lady representing the cycle of life, death and rebirth and Rauru who is the Sage of Light and just as important helped construct the Temple of Time.

Izanami, is the creator deity of both creation and death in Japanese mythology, as well as the Shinto mother goddess. When looking at the symbolism on Basket Lady's dress, I think it relates to the Lotus flower as well as the repeated cycle of Life, Death and Rebirth.

basket-lady-full-complete.jpg

The deeper meaning behind the importance of Seasons being in this game correlates to the endless cycle of Life, Death and Rebirth. We see this in the Logo and more importantly with the cupping of hands in a circle which further emphasis this cycle. The basket of what I think are strawberries was bothering me and I thought an odd choice. I couldn't find any symbolism of Gods in Japanese culture bearing fruit, especially strawberries.
But giving fruit is very common, and especially as an offering at Temples to Gods. Coincidentally, giving fruit is a representation of Seasons as well. The next images are that of blooming Lotus flowers found in the Art book. Lotus flowers as stated earlier can only bloom in the warmest months of the year, usually in July. So either these two images are depicting that we are only playing in the month of July, are cutscenes to the past during July or hint again at Seasons being in the game.
LOTUS-complete.jpg

Going on with the idea of Seasons as a possible theme, @Serif had mentioned this photo as a training schedule, which makes a lot of sense. But if we add into the idea of seasons and change it from a training schedule to a time to hunt during the seasons and which weapons are best for that time period, you could also get this as a possibility as well.

hunting-schedule.jpg
This is great stuff. Thanks. Bookmarked for rereading later

Yes, very interesting!

I think it would be too much from a gameplay side to have four seasons and changes to the environment in every season in such a big 3D open world.
Also I would be worried about npc continuity. Do they get older? Can I change the season any time? Do npcs notice that?

It is much easier to have two time zones. Present and distant past/future.

But it still would be very interesting how they pull of a living environment with plant growth and everything.

I'm not a fan at all of those time travel/dark world things. I've played other Zelda games before. I prefer new locations.

So I've been thinking a lot about how the weapon crafting is gonna work in ToTK. I found 2 shots from past trailers that help to explain what I think will be the case in-game.

In both shots there appears to be the same axe head used in two different ways, one where it's being pierced by a ruined sword, and another where it's the one piercing into a club.

Moving forward, for the sake of explaining this theory, objects that are piercing others will be color coded  red, and objects being pierced by others will be  yellow (the blue arrow is just to show the direction).

I think this dichotomy of objects both piercing and being pierced will make up the brunt of how the crafting system works, and will allow you to experiment with different weapons and monster parts to get some really cool results.

So... for the axe head both variations resulted in an axe, but that won't always be the case.

Here is some Lizalfos crafting from the art book. The sword blade acts to hold the monster part in place here, creating for the Blue Lizalfos a katana, and for the Silver one a scythe.

However, imagining that the katana could pierce through another weapon (much like the axe head we've seen before), what you end up with is an entirely different product.

This got me thinking, how many possibilities are there really for this kind of thing? (Hint: There's a lot!)

Just looking at the Bokoblin's headpiece, which resembles a spearhead, there's already so many combinations using the piercing theory.

Some of the possibilities:
  • From the artbook, a traveler's sword pierces through the monster part to create a short spear.
  • Spearhead gets put on the end of spear (duh).
  • Spearhead goes through club to create an axe (which is pictured below).
  • Two or more spearheads on the same club create an double-sided axe or a pickaxe.

I probably had way too much fun with this idea, so I detailed a moblin spear too. I thought it kinda looked like the Silverscale Spear from BoTW.

I think there's so much more to the crafting system than we think. The artbook just details the most basic concepts because it is concept art after all.

While I'm on the topic too, some weapon combinations ultimately wouldn't work, or would probably look very strange. In particular the 'hammer heads' shown atop a new enemy in the leaks don't mesh well with other weapon types.

I think just like how with cooking in BoTW you can get dubious food, you can also probably get unwieldy weapons that can't combo or have some other obvious detriment to them. I just hope there's lots of potential for experimentation.

So I've been thinking a lot about how the weapon crafting is gonna work in ToTK. I found 2 shots from past trailers that help to explain what I think will be the case in-game.

In both shots there appears to be the same axe head used in two different ways, one where it's being pierced by a ruined sword, and another where it's the one piercing into a club.

Moving forward, for the sake of explaining this theory, objects that are piercing others will be color coded  red, and objects being pierced by others will be  yellow (the blue arrow is just to show the direction).

I think this dichotomy of objects both piercing and being pierced will make up the brunt of how the crafting system works, and will allow you to experiment with different weapons and monster parts to get some really cool results.

So... for the axe head both variations resulted in an axe, but that won't always be the case.

Here is some Lizalfos crafting from the art book. The sword blade acts to hold the monster part in place here, creating for the Blue Lizalfos a katana, and for the Silver one a scythe.

However, imagining that the katana could pierce through another weapon (much like the axe head we've seen before), what you end up with is an entirely different product.

This got me thinking, how many possibilities are there really for this kind of thing? (Hint: There's a lot!)

Just looking at the Bokoblin's headpiece, which resembles a spearhead, there's already so many combinations using the piercing theory.

Some of the possibilities:
  • From the artbook, a traveler's sword pierces through the monster part to create a short spear.
  • Spearhead gets put on the end of spear (duh).
  • Spearhead goes through club to create an axe (which is pictured below).
  • Two or more spearheads on the same club create an double-sided axe or a pickaxe.

I probably had way too much fun with this idea, so I detailed a moblin spear too. I thought it kinda looked like the Silverscale Spear from BoTW.

I think there's so much more to the crafting system than we think. The artbook just details the most basic concepts because it is concept art after all.

While I'm on the topic too, some weapon combinations ultimately wouldn't work, or would probably look very strange. In particular the 'hammer heads' shown atop a new enemy in the leaks don't mesh well with other weapon types.

I think just like how with cooking in BoTW you can get dubious food, you can also probably get unwieldy weapons that can't combo or have some other obvious detriment to them. I just hope there's lots of potential for experimentation.

This very well thought out, thanks for illustrating this so clearly, makes a lot more sense to me now. Just to expand your on your last idea cause I think this is what you were saying If I understand correctly, that some combination can be put together but obviously wouldn’t work well in a combat situation. So maybe this could potentially be how they are improving upon weapon durability as well, if you put a heavy club head on the tip of a spear, you might only get one or two swings with it, before it breaks, but if you combine a sharp knife like horn on the tip of spear it won’t break, or last a lot longer. Then there might be other things you could add to the correct combinations that would make them even stronger or add different elements such as ice, lightning etc to them to where they hardly ever break or just need you fix them up again by adding more of the same stuff to them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom