• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can understand why Big Run and Contest are time limited, but after seeing that the Challenge mode is time limited I am really afraid about Pair and Underground. (Pair should come first btw)

Open as been repurposed as League mode.

... I guess everyone here knows as much as I do, but they're not going to lock out Open from Solo queuing though, right?

Tbh I could see a potential solution here

If someone reaches S+, just say "congrats you're X for the rest of the season now" and lock them out of series. Open should still be available, but having 3 ranked modes you can play solo is kinda unnecessary.

To stay in X next season, gotta reach a certain placement in X battles instead of reaching S+10. That seems fair to me.
This would be so much nicer. For X rank players, it would alleviate the grind of getting back into/staying in X next season, and for S+ level players, they won't get curbstomped, considering the floor for S+ is "S rank player who lucked into S+" and the potential ceiling is literally "the best player in the game".

I had a similar idea of doing placement matches at the beginning of each season. Then if you fail, you have to rank up another S+ level to do it? ...Eh maybe not that last one. Sees a bit grindy. Still better than grinding up to S+10 to stay in next season.

Hmm I wonder if League Power effectively being back will change the matchmaking at all. Weapon matchmaking is truly the one thing keeping me away atm, and is why I enjoy X Battles so much. But it's hard to want to play knowing I'll have to do the S+ grind again and again to stay in it.

To all the other (Tenta) Brella enthusiasts here: (I'm probably speaking to myself now :p)

We know the special is Trizooka, which I think is quite nice. You can deploy your shield, activate zooka and not have to worry about mobility or protection. I'm curious about the sub though. I'm personally not to thrilled for inkmine which we saw in Splatoon 2 on its third kit. Pointer would actually be useful because it helps tremendously with tracking through the shield. Angle Shooter not on the other hand, but that's already on Big Swig anyway, so I think we're safe. An actual bomb would be sublime as well, but Nintendo seems hesitant to out bombs on some weapon classes, one of them being Tenta. What subs would you like to see?

I honestly don't get how anyone who doesn't make Salmon Run their life can get some of those higher-tier rewards if this is how stingy they are with things.
At some point they’ll probably introduce a scale trade up scheme where you can trade lower value for higher ones like at a state fair carnival

Undertow for Salmon Run sounds scary. It would be neat if it has Hororboros and it winds around the columns rather than going in a standard circle.

"DOUBLE THE SCALES!!!!"

Screenshot:
14 bronze scales and only 2 silver scales

I honestly don't get how anyone who doesn't make Salmon Run their life can get some of those higher-tier rewards if this is how stingy they are with things.

You don't need all the higher tier rewards anyway. The 999 silver and gold stuff is obviously ridiculous but it's feasible enough for you to choose a slopsuit or 2 that you like and earn them.

lucky, that's the best track in the game
D6KiWLmWwAAU44E.jpg

FOOLISH

(It's OK I just don't like the Pearl screaming parts and much prefer Front Roe songs)

"All grizzco weapons, surely this time it'll be a manageable horroboros!"- me and my foolish siblings.

Splatoon: "Hope you enjoy multiple splatanas to fight it with both times!"

"DOUBLE THE SCALES!!!!"

Screenshot:
14 bronze scales and only 2 silver scales

We qualified for Dutch Championships! Now just gotta make it through online semifinals and we'll get to play grand finals in person

Woohoo!

7878999c74f1ea36f340408f00099e16a14de942.pnj

Was going through old pictures in my drive and found a Spongebob Splatfest picture I took! Simpler times. I have the exact same white glasses on my 3 Inkling at the moment too.

We qualified for Dutch Championships! Now just gotta make it through online semifinals and we'll get to play grand finals in person

Dayum! Congratulations! Keep the hard work and hopefully you'll reach finals!

On a side note I'm stupidly happy for being able to reach VP 999 for the first time!

jgQmrIs.png

Pretty sure I only managed it due to the current Grizzco Weapons rotation but I won't complain 😭

man i played some salmon run last night during the grizz rotation thinking "wowie easy rank up time baybee" just to lose like 5 matches in a row and derank from vp god dammit lmao

people are so bad at using the grizz splatana and grizz slosher. the latter i understand, its a slow, clunky weapon that doesnt feel super fun to use but carrying on the splatana is so easy since you can just mow through trash mobs with melee attacks and one hit ko enemies like drizzler and scrappers through their armors. i think people expect to play it like a stamper and just get themselves killed.

i blame the game for the loss i had when it gave us 3 sloshers and 1 splatana during a regular tide mothership tho. thats just mean.

Is there a way to enjoy the multiplayer in this game without pairing up with like 3 other competent people, or am I just cursed to forever win 1 game for every 5 I lose and get absolutely dominated by people with clearly 10-20 times more hours in Turf War than me. Cause I like turf war, but the fact that the matchmaking is so rough and I'm not fantastic at the game (I'm not horrific usually, but I also struggle with Splatoon mechanics more than I do with other shooter type games) makes it really hard to enjoy it properly and like actually level up/get stuff/unlock stuff. Like it feels very sweaty for casual play and I guess part of the problem is I did import save data from Splatoon 2 where I had played like 30 hours of MP without ever really getting that good. But I swear this game and this game alone I've had the worst win/loss ratio of any game I've ever played, and that includes Splat 1 and 2.

I think it's time to talk about some of the UNHEALTHIEST weapons in this game

No, not talking about unhealthy for the meta, talking about physically unhealthy for the player.

Squeezer and Inkbrush (and some others that aren't as bad, like Octobrush and Splatana Wiper). I really dislike the idea of skill-gating a weapon behind mashing, it's just inaccessible and straight up dangerous for players who use those weapons. I personally KNOW someone who (alongside being an artist) mained squeezer for a few years and seriously messed up their hands to where they cannot use a controller anymore.

It'd be much better if they were full auto (maybe with slight tone-downs), with some way to switch modes. I'm tired of inaccessible game design.

update on the known kits:

S-Blast '92SprinklerReefslider
Splatana Wiper DecoSquid Beakon?
Tenta Sorella Brella?Trizooka
Big Swig Roller ExpressLine MarkerInk Storm
Annaki Splattershot NovaInk MineInkjet
Custom Dualie SquelchersSquid Beakon?
Light Tetra DualiesSprinkler?
PainbrushCurling BombWave Breaker
Heavy Splatling Deco?Kraken Royale
H-3 Nozzlenose DSplash WallBig Bubbler
Rapid Blaster Pro DecoLine MarkerKiller Wail 5.1

I personally KNOW someone who (alongside being an artist) mained squeezer for a few years and seriously messed up their hands to where they cannot use a controller anymore.

It'd be much better if they were full auto (maybe with slight tone-downs), with some way to switch modes. I'm tired of inaccessible game design.

I've talked before about having to drop the Squeezer because, as much as I like the weapon, I could perform with it maybe for half an hour before exhaustion set in and my results plummeted below what I'd achive with the worse but easier going Splattershot Pro. Yeah, if my typical play session of Splatoon is about an hour to two hours, I'm picking comfort over efficency every time.

And that's before health concerns came up. I've been drawing all my life and only a couple months ago started noticing for the first time slight aches in my forarm, so even if I had stuck with Squeezer that would have killed it for good.

Thinking up a fix is kinda tricky, because I like the general idea behind the Squeezer. Maybe a button to switch modes would work. Maybe the "hold trigger for auto, tap for single fire" mode should just not be weapon that still takes three shots - and thus three quick successive taps - to kill. Or maybe those three shots should be a semi-automatic, regularly spaced out burst that can be activated with one button press.

Tenta Sorella Brella?Trizooka
Light Tetra DualiesSprinkler?
Where's the good sub weapons at Nintendo???

Surely they have to be buffing all these non-bomb subs this season, right?

Thinking up a fix is kinda tricky, because I like the general idea behind the Squeezer. Maybe a button to switch modes would work. Maybe the "hold trigger for auto, tap for single fire" mode should just not be weapon that still takes three shots - and thus three quick successive taps - to kill. Or maybe those three shots should be a semi-automatic, regularly spaced out burst that can be activated with one button prpress.
I think a very simple solution for squeezer could take inspiration from the S-Blast. Long range mode while standing, paint mode while jumping (with balance adjustments as necessary)

I think a very simple solution for squeezer could take inspiration from the S-Blast. Long range mode while standing, paint mode while jumping (with balance adjustments as necessary)

Actually, yes! Boosts for standing still, whether it be damage or accuracy or shot velocity or something else, are an underexplored area outside Dualies, which still are pretty movement based just in a different manner.

Unless im mistaken, it looks like in the past two seasons only Forge Pro, Tentaek, and Neo Splash got Suction or Splat Bomb. All shooters and two which already had top meta kits. Cool I guess. Patch Notes will be interesting.

Is there a reason non-shooters don't get bombs for sub weapons?
Shooter privilege /hj

I think it's because the last few seasons had so many shooter kits, and a bunch of kits with good subs, so now the non shooters that are finally getting kits get a disproportionate amount of bad subs that they need to put on something

First time dipping back into Splatoon after Tears of the Kingdom and, oh woomy, does the (X Rank) matchmaking seem to have a bad time with the drained player pool. Minute long queues only to produce blow-outs that are over after 20 seconds, disconnects that last even shorter, or actual "Not enough players found" messages.

Kill Open and/or Series, already.

btw Sprinkler is now the most used sub in S3's kits, above Splat Bomb:

Sprinkler
  1. .96 Gal
  2. Dynamo Roller
  3. Bloblobber
  4. Heavy Splatling
  5. Splat Brella
  6. Snipewriter 5H
  7. Aerospray RG
  8. S-Blast '92
  9. Light Tetra Dualies
Splat Bomb
  1. Splattershot Jr.
  2. Splat Charger
  3. Clash Blaster
  4. Luna Blaster
  5. Inkbrush
  6. Slosher
  7. Dualie Squelchers
  8. Tentatek Splattershot

"I sure hope the alt kit for my weapon has squid beakon" said nobody who plays public primarily ever.

Dualie squelchers have a low enough damage ratio that it really needs the offensive bomb (... but this is also true of most weapons benefiting, I suppose). Maybe in a year we'll finally get some 3rd weapon sets for lucky players and get a non-terrible alternative then.

"I sure hope the alt kit for my weapon has squid beakon" said nobody who plays public primarily ever.

Dualie squelchers have a low enough damage ratio that it really needs the offensive bomb (... but this is also true of most weapons benefiting, I suppose). Maybe in a year we'll finally get some 3rd weapon sets for lucky players and get a non-terrible alternative then.
Beakon's literally the best possible sub for Dualie Squelchers and by far, with their ink consumption bombs just destroy their momentum and it's one of if not the weapon that moves the most all around the stage which will allow it to setup beakons very easily without punishment and at the same time beakons will get it back to positions it likes fighting from. Beakon's enemy location detection effect also frees up gear that would otherwise be used for Haunt, it gets to dodge roll out of a beakon jump, it helps its team play into its QR skirmishes to the fullest...

WOOT! Congrats! 🙌

I think it's time to talk about some of the UNHEALTHIEST weapons in this game

No, not talking about unhealthy for the meta, talking about physically unhealthy for the player.

Squeezer and Inkbrush (and some others that aren't as bad, like Octobrush and Splatana Wiper). I really dislike the idea of skill-gating a weapon behind mashing, it's just inaccessible and straight up dangerous for players who use those weapons. I personally KNOW someone who (alongside being an artist) mained squeezer for a few years and seriously messed up their hands to where they cannot use a controller anymore.

Super completely agree!
I recently got 5 stars with the Squeezer and I couldn't believe how bad my finger hurt. And the way some Inkbrush users spam ZR, that can't be healthy.

Beakon's enemy location detection
I was today years old when I learnt about the beacon's ability to show you enemies on the map who are near it 🙃

Are we... not getting a single weapon with a good bomb this season? Tent got revealed to have Ink Mine, and Heavy's ink tank line seems to suggest point sensor

Zipcaster tetras is still gonna be a blast tho

First time dipping back into Splatoon after Tears of the Kingdom and, oh woomy, does the (X Rank) matchmaking seem to have a bad time with the drained player pool. Minute long queues only to produce blow-outs that are over after 20 seconds, disconnects that last even shorter, or actual "Not enough players found" messages.

Kill Open and/or Series, already.
Off topic, but I'm not sure why the game doesn't use X Rank's superior matchmaking across all modes. I enjoy X Battles more than any moment in Anarchy simply because I don't get screwed by shitty weapon comp or playing with people who are vastly above or below my skill level.

Just merge Series, Open, and X Battles into one ranked mode. I hate going through the S+ Series grind to have an enjoyable solo queue experience in this game.

I mean... Weren't you deliberately not doing any rank up battles so you could stay in the lowest rank despite it probably being below your actual level. That's way more egregious.
nah, I still lose most of my open battles

and segmenting the players like that would be about boosting the pool in X. I suspect X being a super exclusive rotation with two alternatives is a big contributor to the matchmaking issues.

I was thinking the same with s players only being able to play series but it probably wouldn't do much good. is matchmaking in high level series play any slower than lower series?

a refresher on my fuckload of anarchy points each season (paging @Linkstrikesback):

in C+ you get 8 points for a win and lose 1 point for a loss. as such, if you win 1 in every 8 battles you still profit and can slowly climb. my rate is slightly better than that, probably being closer to 1 in 5 or 6, but I still do tremendously poorly at my current rank and accordingly am not "smurfing" at all. if I managed to rank up, not that I've given any indication of being able to win a rank up series, all that would happen is I'd lose my occasional wins and be curbstomped even harder in the losses

edit: I haven't played since the splatfest but here are my last few battles before that. does this look like smurfing to you? I'm just really really bad lol

IMG_2383.png

I don't think locking anyone out of the extremely-low-stakes ranked mode with loose matchmaking, which is also the only ranked mode you can play with friends, is a good idea 😅

Tenta Sorella BrellaInk MineTrizooka
Light Tetra DualiesSprinklerZipcaster

imo:
Most likely subs for Heavy are Point Sensor or Splash Wall (based on previous kits)
Most likely specials for Squelchers are Killer Wail 5.1 or Tenta Missiles (based on previous kits)
Most likely special for Wiper is Super Chump (Kraken is getting a new weapon so most likely Chump too, and Wiper Chump makes a ton of sense)
I was today years old when I learnt about the beacon's ability to show you enemies on the map who are near it 🙃
The radius is pretty damn large too! I think many already use it to assess whether or not a beakon jump is safe but its potential goes beyond that

I think I saw a somewhat blurry picture where the ink tank line on heavy suggested an ink cost similar to point sensor
You're right I think I remember that too. So Mist is probably the only utility sub that's not being added to any weapon this season (Light Tetras were right there...), if the overall utility subs buff theory pans out I hope that doesn't mean Mist will be left out again :/

Back
Top Bottom