• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know how they say it's impossible to win a Tricolor battle if one of the attacking teams gets one or two signals? Well, I just won a game where one of the attacking got both signals.

I was in the other attacking team.
Impossible for the defending team. I'm pretty sure you still get credit for a win as long as the defending team loses, you at least get a fair amount of clout.
The idea is that they're working on balancing the mode behind the scenes, and by next Splatfest they'll roll out changes and set the frequency it happens back to normal.
The Japanese patch notes put the timeline at the change of season update in December, so theoretically we have two more splatfests of the reduced rate.

But 58%... yeesh. Hard to say if the rate was truly problematic or not, there's no getting around a population imbalance that big. Though theoretically Grub should've had an easy time finding one, and I don't think that was the case?

I went 66 matches on Gear after halftime with not even one tricolor turf war. Hopefully that never happens again.

In Japanese the group say ”ほな、かいさん!”(hona kaisan!) with hona meaning "well, then" and kaisan meaning "dismiss(as in to leave) if written as 解散 in Kanji. I guess the pun here is on kaisan because if written as 海産, it means "marine products".

Won a few rounds last night, if you're matched evenly this game is a blast. I love using the Sploosh-o-matic (the close range pistol with curbing bombs and stamp super) - the curling bomb is almost a "get out of jail free"-card: swimming in it's wake will completely recharge your ink so you can get into enemy territory swimming at full speed with your ink recharged. Waste a few fools there and stamp away. Got four stars on the thing =P .

Also the multiplayer maps look so lively now, they really saved all their dystopian aesthetics for Salmon Run. I think it's an excellent contrast (but still maintain Salmon Run could use some alternate colour schemes).

Idk it in English, but in Dutch their closing saying is:'De mossel', which means :' the mussel', but it is a clever word play on a way to say 'bye' or ' peace out' in an informal way -> 'De mazzel'. Not many people use that word daily tho

Edit: Apperently it is 'Catch you later' in English, which is a similarly clever pun, although maybe 'Catch you later' is used too much normally that it doesnt feel like it.

Yay, more Dutch translation love! I though "de mossel" was clever, but as a Rotterdammer "de mazzel" is ingrained into my language quite a bit =P .

Really curious if the Dutch translation is based directly on Japanese or derived from a bigger language like German. It's very different than English at least so I don't think it shares a base with that.

It's got a few strained puns in the single player, but there's so many of them that I can't blame the translator at all.

Really curious if the Dutch translation is based directly on Japanese or derived from a bigger language like German. It's very different than English at least so I don't think it shares a base with that.

When looking at Inkipedia and the different languages at the bottom it seems the Dutch version sometimes corrolates with a broader European naming scheme, sometimes it is its own thinf(especially with stagenames)

Eu broad
-Tentacool for Off the Hook

Own thing
-Boter-bij-de-vis-markt litt. Butter with the fish market (Hagglefish market , means immidiet payment market)
-Brandingbrug (Hammerhead bridge, means breaker bridge)
-Ted.B (Mr.Grizz, a reference to Teddy Bear , but written in the way like how criminals/suspects in Dutch are always referenced with their first name and the first letter of their last name in the news)

Last edited:
I think the easiest explanation here is that Shiver is just a lot more appealing character for most of the people playing. As weird as it is, people definitely do a fair share of "voting for the waifu".

The Japanese patch notes put the timeline at the change of season update in December, so theoretically we have two more splatfests of the reduced rate.
Well then, that does suck. At least i hope they do smooth balance out quite a bit by then, lol.

So after a couple of weeks to think about it, I've gotta admit I feel like the soundtrack is a step down from Splatoon 2. It's not even bad, but Off the Hook and Wet Floor were a killer combo, and none of the Splat3 tracks so far can touch the best Splat2 tracks, even just considering the ones at launch.

Shiver is just a way nicer design, in my opinion. She is easily my favorite, tho I do not vote just cuz I prefer her, I vote for the Team I prefer each time, so I can be on all the teams. But Shiver is just the best of the three Queens.
Big Man is great, but he does feel 'off' being so different from all the other usual main hosts, I wonder how much that changes stuff.
I will say, Big Man aside, I do not feel as strong distinct personalities from Shiver and Frye yet, compared to Callie vs Marie and Pearl v Marina.
I think, stuff like the lack of unique dialouge for each Stage they introduce, just makes less of their characters actually stick out

Glad the Splatfest is over. Feel too much stress that I'm letting my teammates down when we lose. Much prefer to keep things more casual.

Oh right, so
I saw someone in Salmon Run with a Pink SlopSuit
I can only see Orange, Yellow and Green in that store
Someone halp, am I missing something

Impossible for the defending team. I'm pretty sure you still get credit for a win as long as the defending team loses, you at least get a fair amount of clout.

No, I mean my team flat out won. We weren't featured on the winning screen thanks to the attackers who claimed both signals. Me and my teammate won by inking the most turf. And if a team of two can outpaint a team of 4 and a team of 2 that got two sprinklers, the defenders aren't stuck in an impossible situation either.

It's got a few strained puns in the single player, but there's so many of them that I can't blame the translator at all.

Usually the NOE localization department works directly of the Japanese script - and usually sticks closer to the original in tone and intent than the more freewheeling Treehouse - although in Splatoon's case they've taken cues from the English interpretation.

Oh right, so
I saw someone in Salmon Run with a Pink SlopSuit
I can only see Orange, Yellow and Green in that store
Someone halp, am I missing something

More articles unlock as you spend scales.

Reportedly new costumes appear after spending 100 Bronze and 10 Silver. Then the entire shop opens up once you've spent at least 350 Bronze, 40 Silver and 4 Gold total. Can't confirm either myself as I'm currently 5 Bronze Fish Scales short of the first expansion.

No, I mean my team flat out won. We weren't featured on the winning screen thanks to the attackers who claimed both signals. Me and my teammate won by inking the most turf. And if a team of two can outpaint a team of 4 and a team of 2 that got two sprinklers, the defenders aren't stuck in an impossible situation either.

Usually the NOE localization department works directly of the Japanese script - and usually sticks closer to the original in tone and intent than the more freewheeling Treehouse - although in Splatoon's case they've taken cues from the English interpretation.

Reportedly new costumes appear after spending 100 Bronze and 10 Silver. Then the entire shop opens up once you've spend at least 350 Bronze, 40 Silver and 4 Gold total. Can't confirm either myself as I'm currently 5 bronze scales short of the first expansion.
... oooooooh. I was wondering when they'd add more to it. I thought stuff was just hidden cuz they planned to Add them later on.
... and here I was, hoarding my very few and rare golds and such cuz of how hard it is to get them...
Thank you XD

Reportedly new costumes appear after spending 100 Bronze and 10 Silver. Then the entire shop opens up once you've spent at least 350 Bronze, 40 Silver and 4 Gold total. Can't confirm either myself as I'm currently 5 Bronze Fish Scales short of the first expansion.
Blue and Pink are the next slopsuits to unlock, both cost 30 silver scales to actually buy, so anyone with those has been grinding Salmon Run at a crazy level.

... oooooooh. I was wondering when they'd add more to it. I thought stuff was just hidden cuz they planned to Add them later on.
... and here I was, hoarding my very few and rare golds and such cuz of how hard it is to get them...
Thank you XD

Well if you can reach Eggsecutive VP 999 it also unlocks the whole shop, supposedly. So in that case continue to hold off on spending. But I figured that feat was out of reach for most of the population.

Blue and Pink are the next slopsuits to unlock, both cost 30 silver scales to actually buy, so anyone with those has been grinding Salmon Run at a crazy level.

I'm relieved none of those colors beat Yellow (or Green for that matter). So no immediate pressure for grinding. I'll be able to continue to live a relaxed Salmon Run life until the day I spot a violet suit or a differently themed suit in the shop.

Apparently Tricolour rates were as low as 2%!

Think it's fair to say Tricolour was pretty much a nonfactor when it came to the final result.

I like the blue Slopsuit, so that's the next one I am aiming for (only have the green one). The golden shells are on the other hand not so easy to get. It's as if you need to hope to get lucky to get those, as I only have 3 of these now. I wonder if anybody would think about getting the black and white Slopsuits, which are unlocked the last and are naturally the most expensive of them all.

Thank you for reading.

Ah, that's interesting. Not sure if the original Skyward Sword also had a Dutch translation (in my recollection Dutch translations are relatively new), but they went ham on the bird-name puns for Skyloft's residents which I enjoyed. Skyloft itself unfortunately had it's English name which was a shame - German and French both have Skyloft names in their own languages. That kinda threw me off as far as where it's translation is based on.

Anyways, I often dislike Dutch dubs and translations (mostly because there's only a handful of mediocre voice actors that get all the jerbs here...), but for Nintendo games I find the Dutch translations extremely enjoyable - even for ambitious games like BotW and Splatoon. Part of that is the blissful lack of voice acting, but mostly they're seemingly doing a cleaner job than NoA (NoA translations come across as convoluted at times which may also have to do with me not being a native speaker even though my english is quite adequate).

TLDR: bedankt voor het mooie vertaalwerk, NoE!

Wow, Ranked modes are just not fun, are they
They are like, 10 times as chaotic as Turf and it just does not feel fune whne everyone respawns and gets back SO fast so that it is just a constant explosion of colors in one specific spot
Also, Dynamo feels horrible in this game, did they ruin my Dynamo?
EDIT: yeah Ranked modes feels garbage to me. Doesn't help that no matter how much I play them, my team just died constantly, and I constantly face teams of 4 shooters, occationally a Sloshing Machine, and we barely get to play the game. :/

Last edited:
Wrapped up all of my Splatoon 3 goals for now:

First, I 100% beat the campaign last night and for me it’s: Octo > 3 > 2 > 1. Octo had levels I enjoyed more and the lack of a hub world was a strength for pacing (still a fun hub world on its own terms). Octo also had a better final stretch than 3’s though 3 did have my 2nd favorite final boss after 1’s. 3 did have my all time favorite level in the series with the post game level. While I missed some of the specific kinds of levels seen in 2’s campaign, overall this was a big step for the non-Octo campaigns.

Beyond that tonight I hit S rank (first time!), hit Profreshional +1 (I’ll save going higher for playing with friends), hit Ruler in the Splatfest (and won it in my heart), and had a great time with Table Turf which I will also mostly save for a later time.

I guess some overall thoughts for now at 45+ hours, this is definitely my favorite of the Splatoon games at launch even if it wasn’t a leap forward in a meaningful way. The maps at launch are great fun and play well in most modes I care about. The actual gameplay feels tighter and more brutal than ever. I’m sad my favorite weapon set from 2 is gone, but the replacement for the Splattershot is far more interesting with the suction bombs and the Trizooka / Rocket Launcher. I have genuinely exciting options to learn and master now which is awesome. I’m generally getting excellent matchmaking with amusingly bloodthirsty opponents that aren’t too overwhelming either and a smooth online experience. Disconnects/errors have been more infrequent as the month went on so I’m not really worried about the future of the game. I do think the focus on limited time modes was a mistake (especially with tricolor being so flawed), but the quality of life bumps like the new lobby, two flavors of ranked (I can forever avoid Clam Blitz!), and better friend options are great. I also really dig what I’ve played of both Salmon Run and Tableturf Battles. Salmon Run is more chaotic than ever and egg throwing makes a huge impact on how you play. I’ve beaten Cohozuna twice and the other new events I’ve seen are great fun! Though obviously different, Tableturf reminds me of the feeling I’ve had from other card minigames like Triple Triad. Tons of strategy in this mode. I thought I read they are going to add an update to play with friends maybe? If so I’m looking forward to it.

Anyway yeah, great, very fun game. Looking forward to seeing how it evolves down the road, the DLC, and checking out Big Run when it happens.

N-Zap has always been my go to, followed by the duelos squelcher.

I really miss ink storm as a special, because I had in Splatoon 2 special charge up and power up along with run speed, and being able to proc ink storm so much was great.

But I love the tenta-cooler as a special now.

very, very slowly getting better at aiming, but it's inconsistent growth with some dips back

I do get some very fun kills with squiffer

Idk it in English, but in Dutch their closing saying is:'De mossel', which means :' the mussel', but it is a clever word play on a way to say 'bye' or ' peace out' in an informal way -> 'De mazzel'. Not many people use that word daily tho

Edit: Apperently it is 'Catch you later' in English, which is a similarly clever pun, although maybe 'Catch you later' is used too much normally that it doesnt feel like it.

Yeah “catch ya later” to me is a phrase that’s already used so often normally that the pun doesn’t really register as a pun to me. I like their Dutch sign off, that sounds pretty clever from your explanation

They should’ve played off the idea of a Deep Cut in music being a little known or “rare” song. Or like shallows vs deep, or even like a sushi pun with “cut”

Last edited:
I keep getting matched up against Japanese players with ninja squid, literally the least fun I've ever had playing Splatoon. With the added latency in this game it's even worse.

I made a visualization of why I think Ninja Squid is so problematic with even a little bit of latency. People will straight up teleport across your ink.

unknown.png

The way they framed it was way more fun and amusing, but if they wanted more balanced choices for the deserted island splatfest, they could have framed the question as you are going camping on a deserted island with friends, what do you want to be in charge of, gear, grub, or fun. Especially considering the results of it was Deep Cut decided they’d bring all three if it ever happened to them lol.

I keep getting matched up against Japanese players with ninja squid, literally the least fun I've ever had playing Splatoon. With the added latency in this game it's even worse.

I made a visualization of why I think Ninja Squid is so problematic with even a little bit of latency. People will straight up teleport across your ink.

unknown.png

Good illustration of a cause of death I'm always paranoid about when trying to zone out an opponent. "Good, I cut off the right path, so they must either move left or retreat, so I shoot left and if they're too aggressive I'll catch and kill th--- nope, they're all the way over there to my right and now I'm dead."

Happened numerous times and when I go watch the replay to check if I missed something in the heat of the moment? Still nothing to see. They just did a vanishing and reappearance act across hostile ink.

The way they framed it was way more fun and amusing, but if they wanted more balanced choices for the deserted island splatfest, they could have framed the question as you are going camping on a deserted island with friends, what do you want to be in charge of, gear, grub, or fun. Especially considering the results of it was Deep Cut decided they’d bring all three if it ever happened to them lol.
You know, I heard talk of that being the clearer association with the question in Japanese - think less "trapped on a deserted island" and more "Sora and his friends from Destiny Islands going from the main island to the other island to play for the day." I wonder if they have trouble succinctly translating that and instead went with what we had. I'd love to see the original dialogue and how the results were in Japanese to confirm that was indeed the case and not just some Internet Tomfoolery.

You know, I heard talk of that being the clearer association with the question in Japanese - think less "trapped on a deserted island" and more "Sora and his friends from Destiny Islands going from the main island to the other island to play for the day." I wonder if they have trouble succinctly translating that and instead went with what we had. I'd love to see the original dialogue and how the results were in Japanese to confirm that was indeed the case and not just some Internet Tomfoolery.
I saw this too, but a Japanese Tweet referred to "extreme conditions"

Ok when they mentioned the 4th thing in their opening I couldn’t help but think of a potential Splatoon 4 and 4 option splatfests. But then I thought about it some more and decided what I actually want is Off the Hook and the Squid Sisters to form a quartet and then have them pick the options in different pairs each time (ie pearl&callie/Marina&Marie one time and then the next time it’s Marina&Callie/Pearl&Marie)

But then I thought about it even more and I decided I just want the old idols to weigh in on the splatfests too. Not even as part of the Splatcast it can be when you go to pick teams there can be like video messages from characters to sway you to their team.

Wow, Ranked modes are just not fun, are they
They are like, 10 times as chaotic as Turf and it just does not feel fune whne everyone respawns and gets back SO fast so that it is just a constant explosion of colors in one specific spot
Also, Dynamo feels horrible in this game, did they ruin my Dynamo?
EDIT: yeah Ranked modes feels garbage to me. Doesn't help that no matter how much I play them, my team just died constantly, and I constantly face teams of 4 shooters, occationally a Sloshing Machine, and we barely get to play the game. :/
Ranked mode is incredible, but you might be dealing with mismatched teammates if you're just starting. Once you rank up once you should be fine there.

Ranked mode is incredible, but you might be dealing with mismatched teammates if you're just starting. Once you rank up once you should be fine there.
I suppose that makes sense. It just feels so... messy. Which, sure, Splatoon is suppose to be messy, but still XD
Hm
I have only been doing the Single-Match mode. Is it recommended I do the other option?

I suppose that makes sense. It just feels so... messy. Which, sure, Splatoon is suppose to be messy, but still XD
Hm
I have only been doing the Single-Match mode. Is it recommended I do the other option?
The other option is the way to rank up. Don't be alarmed by the description though, you don't have to play the entire series in one sitting, you can stop whenever you want. You basically just have to win 5 games before you lose 3 and you'll get plenty of points towards your rank. Even if you only win some of the games, you still get a ton of points. I'd give it a try, once you rank up a bit the matches should be more even. It's always confrontational and chaotic though. If you don't really like fighting people, ranked is probably not going to gel well with you.

The other option is the way to rank up. Don't be alarmed by the description though, you don't have to play the entire series in one sitting, you can stop whenever you want. You basically just have to win 5 games before you lose 3 and you'll get plenty of points towards your rank. Even if you only win some of the games, you still get a ton of points. I'd give it a try, once you rank up a bit the matches should be more even. It's always confrontational and chaotic though. If you don't really like fighting people, ranked is probably not going to gel well with you.
That is very helpful, thank you kindly c: I will certainly give it a try then, at least.
I have thousands of hours in Splatoon overall, I'd say I am pretty good at managing stuff, but I played VERY little Ranked in either the last two games, so I guess I just struggle to adapt to these modes. But I wanna do more variety, so I will see how it goes.
Thank you~

That is very helpful, thank you kindly c: I will certainly give it a try then, at least.
I have thousands of hours in Splatoon overall, I'd say I am pretty good at managing stuff, but I played VERY little Ranked in either the last two games, so I guess I just struggle to adapt to these modes. But I wanna do more variety, so I will see how it goes.
Thank you~
Sure thing, also if you want a teammate to try ranked with that wont immediately die over and over (unless there is a crazy sniper) you can always hit me up and I'll be down to play. We can't do a series (that's with randoms only) but we can do the one you tried. I'm not a pro or anything but I'm pretty good so that might help you ease into it.

Sure thing, also if you want a teammate to try ranked with that wont immediately die over and over (unless there is a crazy sniper) you can always hit me up and I'll be down to play. We can't do a series (that's with randoms only) but we can do the one you tried. I'm not a pro or anything but I'm pretty good so that might help you ease into it.
Of course no need to go out of your way for my sake, but that is very nice of you, thank you. c: I promise to ask you if I feel I should try with someone other than randoms.
... tho I share the Sniper thing. I cannot handle snipers. Or blasters. ._.

Of course no need to go out of your way for my sake, but that is very nice of you, thank you. c: I promise to ask you if I feel I should try with someone other than randoms.
... tho I share the Sniper thing. I cannot handle snipers. Or blasters. ._.
It's no trouble, I love playing Splatoon. I also have no issue with teammates who are new to the game(modes). I always stick with my team regardless of how they perform since I'd rather try to help people learn the game.

Blasters are also hell on the Tower Control mode. Feels like they're cheating lol

It's no trouble, I love playing Splatoon. I also have no issue with teammates who are new to the game(modes). I always stick with my team regardless of how they perform since I'd rather try to help people learn the game.

Blasters are also hell on the Tower Control mode. Feels like they're cheating lol
That is great, thank you XD As long as it is not Clam Blitz. I do not really mind it but it is by far the least fun, for me, for some reason.
And yeah Blasters are actual jerks in general so that does not surprise me. Blasters are just SO hard to deal with for some reason.

What a bittersweet Splatfest experience, I wouldn't recommend it to a new player. This was the first Splatfest for a couple of friends new to Splatoon and they say this probably was their first and last festival.
Even I as a veteran player felt overwhelmed by the odd matchmaking.

r8LU0O0.png

Also, allowing you to modify the main ability of the Splatfest tee was a mistake. The tee was supposed to even out the playing field when dumping pro/ranked players together with casual ones.

Tee modification only rewarded people who play a lot of Splatoon already and were willing to invest a lot of time farming before the event (plenty of people only play during fests).

Plus, Ninja Squid is basically flawless during this period. Splatfest's night lighting + ink shading = completely invisible, no trail. You add the chaos of the match where it's already difficult to keep an eye on everything when your team is slacking or not that good and how easy it's now to do spawn camping (plus the lag, like @Lucyfer mentioned). Not fun.

Y'all put a lot more thought into these Splatfest prompts than I do.

I was just like "man, I like food; obviously, I'm going to choose the food-themed option". No desire to use gear and procure nourishment that way.

I think the easiest explanation here is that Shiver is just a lot more appealing character for most of the people playing. As weird as it is, people definitely do a fair share of "voting for the waifu".
I think Big Man is actually the most popular, but I'm not sure. Shiver's team was over 15 percentage points more popular than it was as Team Rock, a big part of the problem this time was the practicality of the question.

but they went ham on the bird-name puns for Skyloft's residents which I enjoyed.
They're all over the English localization too

very, very slowly getting better at aiming, but it's inconsistent growth with some dips back

I do get some very fun kills with squiffer
Haha, this all sounds familiar from years ago. We should play together sometime, even if dual squiffer isn't a great comp...

it's funny, I get markedly worse results with squiffer but it's all I want to play now...
Maybe you already do this but just in case, don't hesitate to change your sensitivities even from weapon to weapon. The longer range your weapon is the smaller of an angle you'll have to make each time you shoot at someone and the more precise you'll want to be, so especially for gyro sensitivity it's usual for players to go relatively low for stuff like chargers and then max it up for a Splash or Tetras. This is something that helped me a lot to get better with chargers and stringers (of course do what feels right for you in each situation)

Maybe you already do this but just in case, don't hesitate to change your sensitivities even from weapon to weapon. The longer range your weapon is the smaller of an angle you'll have to make each time you shoot at someone and the more precise you'll want to be, so especially for gyro sensitivity it's usual for players to go relatively low for stuff like chargers and then max it up for a Splash or Tetras. This is something that helped me a lot to get better with chargers and stringers (of course do what feels right for you in each situation)
And then there's me who plays with max sensitivity now with the squiffer lol

But it works!

I think Big Man is actually the most popular, but I'm not sure. Shiver's team was over 15 percentage points more popular than it was as Team Rock, a big part of the problem this time was the practicality of the question.

Big Man definitely has the wholesome, fun loving part of the fanbase behind. Shiver meanwhile absolutely has the horny part of the fanbase. Frye has a forehead.

That said, yeah, this was a very weird question to ask for a Splatfest. I'm hoping next one is less practical and more preference-based.

I don't like Big Man cause I'm not a fan of his speaking trope: <onomatopoeia> (full sentence of what he means).
But most importantly: I HATE AIR HORNS!
It's such an awful sound and it irks me just thinking about it.

I don’t know if it’s just because I didn’t play much Splatoon 2 but I never skip the splatcast or whatever it’s called. Annoys me as well that it starts in the background if you’re in the lobby when maps change because I always miss the start then.

Is there anything I'm missing about just making Tricolor matches happen within the same team? I had enough Team Gear vs Team Gear regular Splatfest matchups. Would have been nice to randomly get Tricolor matches as well - get a chance to see what it's like to defend too.

It's kinda frustrating how much easier it is to play shooters. They should nerf splattershot, splashomatic and gal 52. They all kill too fast imo, that combined with the good mobility, inking and ink efficiency makes for easy to pick up weapons that are very easy to do even a little bit okay with

Back
Top Bottom