• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What rank are you at? Could be these are special circumstances since I'm stuck at A+ with the S/S+ in the same pool situation. But Open has matchmaking problems in the opposite direction as I've been in games where I was fully convinced, while playing and after reviewing the replays, that everyone else was C+ at best.
I just hit S rank, but my experiences here are based on playing at A+

I also play Open a lot more so my anecdote might not mean anything for Series. But Open is the only one you can play with friends so the chance of running into a coordinated team is much higher. I also ran into a professional group that was streaming on Twitch while doing Open. Needless to say, we lost that one lol

I've not been playing much Salmon Run actually, didn't realise you could make so much from it, damn. I'd mostly been doing turf war but I'll have to try out more Salmon Run then.
Yeah you can get really good money doing the Salmon Runs. Pretty much every reset I spam it until I get all the orb drop rewards and stop when hats start popping up really often and then go to regular PVP to unlock clothing abilities. Then when Salmon Run resets I repeat the process.
I’ve bought up most of the clothing shop annd Splatnet items so far (except for locker items).

These were my two most reliable weapons in S2 X-rank just a couple months ago help 😭
Screenshot-20220921-032059.jpg

I just hit S rank, but my experiences here are based on playing at A+

I also play Open a lot more so my anecdote might not mean anything for Series. But Open is the only one you can play with friends so the chance of running into a coordinated team is much higher. I also ran into a professional group that was streaming on Twitch while doing Open. Needless to say, we lost that one lol

If worse comes to worst, as I play more of Open it'll adjust my matchmaking and I'll be back in nightmare lobbies. For now I'll bear getting steamrolled by possible pre-mades here and there. Because steamrolls do happen but less regularly than in Series where instead of against teams on voice chat the game might toss me into a bad weapon comp to the same result.

I got my copy waiting (first splatoon Experience ever)! Just waiting to finish crysis 2 before I start, I got a weird habit of finishing 1 game before I start the next!

Salmon Run is awesome but it kinda feels too short? Like I wish it was just a couple of waves longer with bigger maps/bosses.
It’s an inverse of Horde mode where it gets really tough really quickly. You do have to level up a lot to get the difficulty just right though.

Salmon Run is awesome but it kinda feels too short? Like I wish it was just a couple of waves longer with bigger maps/bosses.
I kind of look at it as having a save point after every 3 waves. The idea seems to be to keep playing and get rewards, but each session ends in 3 waves so you don't lose and have to start a long horde mode all over. It will progressively get harder as you rank up and your rewards get better, so as long as you keep continuing after each run, it will feel like one long horde mode.

B- rank is mental, you have people who haven't played Splatoon in 4 years who decided to port their ancient Splatoon 2 save data over, and then people who were still playing X Ranked the day before release

Ok this game seriously needs at least 3 stages in the rotation. I got the same stage 12 times in a row. There is no way this stage selection is 50/50.

Just finished Hero Mode!
That final boss fight was freaking amazing, especially DJ Octavio to the rescue haha.

Overall, easily the best campaign in the series.
Tons of variety, more content than the first two games combined, and every bit as polished and creative as I'd expect from a major EPD game.
Loved it to bits.

Splatoon 3 Campaign > Octo Expansion > Splatoon 1 Campaign > Splatoon 2 Campaign imo

The Splatoon 2 campaign felt oddly... a retread of 1 but a bit more rushed, in a sense. The final boss especially felt very phoned in after how amazing 1's was. Heck they forgot to add CALLIE until several months after release.

I guess 2 DID have a very short dev cycle.

As soon as I get into S-rank I become unable to even win more than 1 game in a series. It's not even like I'm playing especially bad, if anything I'm carrying my teammates who are supposedly frontliners yet get 3 or 4 splats total in a 5-minute game.

Now that I've played it I agree the Rainmaker checkpoints work well in practice. Considering this effort to prolong battles in one mode, it's weird how short some of the Tower Control tracks feel, though. Maybe it's just me misremembering the state of Splatoon and Splatoon 2, but I feel like defenders used to get one or two more attempts to stop a push in progress compared to the swift ride to knockout city in Splatoon 3.
Tower Control knockouts felt pretty rare compared to other modes in 2. I think the short tracks are a bit of an overcorrection, but overall closer to where it should be. (It's also just a byproduct of how small a lot of these maps are.)

B- rank is mental, you have people who haven't played Splatoon in 4 years who decided to port their ancient Splatoon 2 save data over, and then people who were still playing X Ranked the day before release
Hey, most of us at least ranked out of B by this point! Though it seems that doesn't stop you from matching up; letter ranks aren't hard separators like they were in 1/2. I've heard reports of players in B+ seeing S+ splashtag badges.

You should've seen day one. Everyone had like 15 splats or 2. It was total chaos (or... anarchy? :p).

Ok this game seriously needs at least 3 stages in the rotation. I got the same stage 12 times in a row. There is no way this stage selection is 50/50.
It is 50/50, that's just how it goes sometimes.

I'm not sure how I feel about series anarchy letting you stick with your teammates. It feels like you're constantly going up against 4 good players who stuck together, and the bad players just get thrown back into the pool, meaning you're more likely to get worse teammates. It genuinely feels like "can you get lucky and find good teammates before losing 3 times?"

Has anyone else experienced the game freezing in the middle of a match? Happened a couple times to me, like here:

Btw Trizooka is so fun! I totally didn't trim out the part where I missed my first 2 shots trying to do the same thing :)

Has anyone else experienced the game freezing in the middle of a match? Happened a couple times to me, like here:
I believe there might be some issues with memory leaks, causing the game to have issues when opened for a long time. Try restarting the game if you haven't done so recently.

If that's not it, I pray for your Switch's health 😅

TIL you can get free mobile phone backgrounds on SplatNet 3. The gang is now my lockscreen.

I believe there might be some issues with memory leaks, causing the game to have issues when opened for a long time. Try restarting the game if you haven't done so recently.

If that's not it, I pray for your Switch's health 😅
That was like a 1 hour play session at most 🙃

That Splatfest art is very nice. Team Gear for the Win
Also, Shiver keeps having such a nice design. I tend to prefer, ahem, light/tight clothing on characters in general. Her design really appeals to me.
Thick and poofy clothing just feels off. Tho I am also a person that keeps janking at the neck hole of my shirt constantly cuz it is super creepy to have it touch my throat so I am probably just weird.

I'm not sure how I feel about series anarchy letting you stick with your teammates. It feels like you're constantly going up against 4 good players who stuck together, and the bad players just get thrown back into the pool, meaning you're more likely to get worse teammates. It genuinely feels like "can you get lucky and find good teammates before losing 3 times?"
This is literally what I did when climbing to S+ lol. Play one game, and stay with the lobby if I felt we could work together well. The game basically encourages it, so no point in taking my chances by leaving a decent lobby.

IIRC the game internally tries to match teams that have stuck together with other teams that have stuck together, but take it with a grain of salt because I can't find where I read that.

IIRC the game internally tries to match teams that have stuck together with other teams that have stuck together, but take it with a grain of salt because I can't find where I read that.
Hmmm, I remember reading something similar. But I think I read that they try to match people with similar win records (so win-loss counts in the current series) instead.

Yeah, I notice how quick people leave a lobby if you lose and how everyone stays on a win. I stay in every lobby regardless of outcome and it's always like that. Granted the game will naturally separate people once they finish their series. I kind of like it though, especially in clam blitz where it's hard to find teams that know how to play.

Lol, reached S rank yesterday and my ratio when to 1:4 and have negative points now. Something defintely changed with the matcmaking because I had no issues reaching Rank X in Splatoon 2

Maybe I'm just rusty too.

Erm... did my first S rank matches, proceed to lose 3 matches in a row without a single win.

This is going to be painful isn't it?

Beat Cohozuna with 14 seconds left on Hazard Level 125%, thanks Squeezer
... 125% feels like 150-175% in this game, and you're telling me there is 333%

Beat Cohozuna with 14 seconds left on Hazard Level 125%, thanks Squeezer
... 125% feels like 150-175% in this game, and you're telling me there is 333%

I've still never managed to beat it. I'm going to wait to try again after the weapons rotate out, I can't imagine trying to fight that thing with the roller.

I've still never managed to beat it. I'm going to wait to try again after the weapons rotate out, I can't imagine trying to fight that thing with the roller.
It's changed already, Squeezer / Tenta Brella / Dualie Squelchers / Tri-Slosher, unless it depends on region
But yeah roller is awful to fight Cohozuna, only hope is helping your teammates by eliminating other enemies and throwing eggs

2 wipeouts in 5 seconds I didn't even think it was possible, thanks Mahi Mahi

Also the lag seems to have been much better since the patch, not sure if they changed the netcode so fast

Actually the roller is one of the best weapons against that thing. If you can position yourself right, you can use a wall to prevent knockback and just eat at Cohozuna's health. His hurtbox is actually smaller than the model so you have a lot of leeway in his attack.

Actually the roller is one of the best weapons against that thing. If you can position yourself right, you can use a wall to prevent knockback and just eat at Cohozuna's health. His hurtbox is actually smaller than the model so you have a lot of leeway in his attack.

I'm SO bad at using rollers though, they're so frustrating!

Ah right I think Lucyfer mentioned it and I totally forgot

I couldn't believe they kept the one single mandatory use of squid roll for that one secret level you need to finish everything to even see.
The difficulty is not even extra hard except the last part, it's the checkpoint frequency that is tough.
In itself it's just pretty stimulating and I could have totally seen this intensity in the regular levels with normal checkpoints, it would have made the campaign really great.

Back
Top Bottom