• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How important are weapon upgrades? I've stuck with the gun you get in the beginning. Not sure where to go to buy upgrades or new weapons

The Jet Squelcher in Salmon Run is my favorite Jet Squelcher kit in Splatoon 3. Proves the Jet is still good, as long as the base weapon gets complimentary tools like Splat Bomb and Crab Tank.

How important are weapon upgrades? I've stuck with the gun you get in the beginning. Not sure where to go to buy upgrades or new weapons
Go into the shop that you see as soon as you turn the game on. There are a bunch of weapons to purchase there. You should also buy gear for buffs.

Weapons aren't really 'upgrades' and more so what suits your personal style. Each kit has a different sub weapon and special, find the combo that works best for you.

Managed to get my first 10 or so matches in this afternoon, super fun! Didn’t even touch the SP since there’s a Splatfest on. It’s fun to come to the game when an event is on! Definitely some tricky matchups already though, my humbling reminder that I haven’t played Splatoon in a couple of years I guess 😂

Looking forward to unlocking more stuff! I usually use a roller but I only have the initial one so far with the shield special, which I can’t seem to use effectively.

I did what little I could, #teamgear! Hope to get a few more in before the Fest is over.

yknow, it would be great if each ranked mode was also available to play, especially with tricolour not existing and shifty stations going away this has been one of the most boring spaltfests I've played, some variety might help.

I htink Nintendo overocrrectd on the tricolour issue, team fun has way less people on top of less tricolour matches, half of the ones I get someone dc's imiddealty and hte stage ismore balanced for the attackers.

You know how they say it's impossible to win a Tricolor battle if one of the attacking teams gets one or two signals? Well, I just won a game where one of the attacking got both signals.

I was in the other attacking team.

The problem wasn't it being played too much though, the map was just bad and not fun to play on. Hammerhead is good so it's a shame it's being wasted.
Sorry, I might not be explaining myself well. Let me try again:

Reducing the rate of Tricolor battles isn't a solution. This isn't the fix to anything. The problem wasn't that Tricolor battles happened too much, yeah. The problem was that the mode is loaded against the defending team, which is something that needs further balancing and adjusting.

Now, the date for this Splatfest was probably already set by the time the Splatfest World Premiere happened, so they didn't have effective dev time to work on those balance patches before it rolled by. So they had to choose between leaving in a mode they already knew was unbalanced, remove it altogether (Which, given it's been in marketing and all, was probably never an option), or what they did: Make it happen less often so it has less influence on the final splatfest results.

This was always meant as a temporary solution, as a stopgap patch, not a fix. The idea is that they're working on balancing the mode behind the scenes, and by next Splatfest they'll roll out changes and set the frequency it happens back to normal.

Reducing the rate of Tricolor battles isn't a solution. This isn't the fix to anything. The problem wasn't that Tricolor battles happened too much, yeah. The problem was that the mode is loaded against the defending team, which is something that needs further balancing and adjusting.

Now, the date for this Splatfest was probably already set by the time the Splatfest World Premiere happened, so they didn't have effective dev time to work on those balance patches before it rolled by. So they had to choose between leaving in a mode they already knew was unbalanced, remove it altogether (Which, given it's been in marketing and all, was probably never an option), or what they did: Make it happen less often so it has less influence on the final splatfest results.

This was always meant as a temporary solution, as a stopgap patch, not a fix. The idea is that they're working on balancing the mode behind the scenes, and by next Splatfest they'll roll out changes and set the frequency it happens back to normal.
I think what people are saying here is "maybe the mode wasn't as unbalanced as we thought, maybe it was a bad map the first time because the one for this Splatfest is better to play. Now I miss it."

I haven't played enough to judge myself.

My point is just that their "solution" made the problem (tricolor is not fun) worse and in hindsight they shouldn't have done anything. Just looking at the maps makes it clear the demo splatfest's problem would not be an issue in this splatfest.

My point is just that their "solution" made the problem (tricolor is not fun) worse and in hindsight they shouldn't have done anything. Just looking at the maps makes it clear the demo splatfest's problem would not be an issue in this splatfest.
there being almost none of it seems like a decent short-term solution to it not being fun

The festival atmosphere in Splatsville is glorious. Too bad we're still stuck alone in an empty room for the majority of the time we're actually participating in the Spaltfest. They couldn't even decorate the lobby or light up the skybox or put Shiver, Frye and Big Man on the big screen.

Which weapons have you all really been enjoying? I've played a bunch of Splatoon 2, so I'm not a stranger to most of them, but I feel like I'm in a rut when it comes to picking a main weapon. I feel like I suck with everything so far in 3.

Hydra has been my most played and enjoyed and only 4 star. Heavy Splatling on the side when the Hydra's extra range doesn't gain much. Trying to branch out into Ballpoint and Nautilus and while I'm not quite vibing with either, I still want to stick with them a bit longer to be sure it's not simply their technical aspects that are putting me off.

Explosher is my current first choice on any map that halfway suits it. Similar deal to Hydra in that I never tried the weapon in Splatoon 2 but the great kit here lured me in and turns out the playstyle suits me. Can absolutely beast in Splat Zones and trapping enemies and painting for friends engaged in firefights is a fun way to lend long-range support.

Every now and then I'm going back to the Jet Squelcher to remind myself I the Jet itself still feels ultra-comfy. Just the sub and special are doing the weapon no favors.

And then I want to find a couple mid-range or slayer options between .96 Gal, Splattershot Pro, Dual Squelcher, Sloshing Machine, Slosher, .52 Gal, Glooga Dualies and Rapid Blaster Pro. Problem is if the matchmaking rates me based on my backline performances, I'm way outclassed as soon as I attempt a frontline role, so practice or even figuring out what weapon to prioritize practicing with has been a struggle.

I was infatuated with the Squeezer for a day or two until I realized that the tap-to-shoot mode meant I'd just never be able to pick it for play sessions lasting longer than half an hour, if that, and in that light it wasn't worth the effort needed to get really good with it.

Last edited:
The festival atmosphere in Splatsville is glorious. Too bad we're still stuck alone in an empty room for the majority of the time we're actually participating in the Spaltfest. They couldn't even decorate the lobby or light up the skybox or put Shiver, Frye and Big Man on the big screen.
I thought exactly the same thing. When I first logged into Splatsville I thought Deep Cut playing on the screen in the lobby is going to be great, something to watch, keep everyone hyped up, and it will really add to the atmosphere. Ran in all excited and nope…

I thought exactly the same thing. When I first logged into Splatsville I thought Deep Cut playing on the screen in the lobby is going to be great, something to watch, keep everyone hyped up, and it will really add to the atmosphere. Ran in all excited and nope…

I'm also wondering if there's a technical reason to keep us from queueing up for games outside the lobby. Would be nice to be able to do it from the Splatfest stand, for example, if not anywhere.

I don't know if this thread has just psyched me out with saying everyone seems much better in the splatfest but I just did my first match and I was on the receiving end of the biggest thrashing I've ever seen.

Lowering it makes sense but they lowered it by such a drastic amount, I've encountered it three times across 5 hours of playing, when that is the advertised mode that's horrible, I think it would have been better had they straight up removed it and tweaked it for the next splatfest cause right now the stage is better for it but the rate at which people get it is so abysmal, I think they made the right decision they just over-corrected too hard and now we are at the other end of the extreme, no one can even play tricolour.

The balance this splatfest has felt terrible I easily crush 9/10 matches then encounter a premade team of all tenta missiles users or cclearly pro teams and die lopsidedly because queuing for tricolour just throws me into turf war open. With the amount of new players splatoon 3 is bringing in it feels super wild, I got to ruler +4 and now i'm just gonna wait until its over. not really relevant but I miss shifty stations :(

And as a final thought changing splatfest open to splatfest teams and splatfest pro to splatfest solo would be a welcome change since their names really don't describe what the difference is that well, somehow pro is the more beginner friendly one, open is where new players go to die against a competitive team.

As opposed to what this might show I did enjoy the splatfest but something beyond just a tricolour fix needs to happen, that's just one of many problems players are having with it. As seen during the testfire they are willing to listen to player feedback so I hope they can figure something out in time for the end of the year.

I'm also wondering if there's a technical reason to keep us from queueing up for games outside the lobby. Would be nice to be able to do it from the Splatfest stand, for example, if not anywhere.
Yeah. I’ve wondered about that too. Also, if we’re stuck in the lobby I wish I could at least have a look in people’s lockers while I wait.

You know how they say it's impossible to win a Tricolor battle if one of the attacking teams gets one or two signals? Well, I just won a game where one of the attacking got both signals.

I was in the other attacking team.
The defending team has a lot of say on who wins. If a side gets both rockets, I’ll do everything to make sure that side then loses.

It’s not a well thought out mode.

both of the attacking teams win if one of them wins, making it overtly harder for the defenders as pretty much 40% of the map is fully off limits for you unless you wanna lose control of mid. though it is really fun I wish it felt more like a 2v2v4 than a 4v4 with friendly fire on. in the end I don't think too drastic a change is needed to make it work, maybe give more incentive for the losing teams to go after each other or something
The defending team has a lot of say on who wins. If a side gets both rockets, I’ll do everything to make sure that side then loses.

It’s not a well thought out mode.

both of the attacking teams win if one of them wins

There've been suggestions that the defending team can still come out ahead, or at least not lose much clout, if they place second. We can't know for sure how the math checks out, but it's possible both attacking teams need to in fact win in order to eat into the defending team's overall lead. If so, beating up on a team with one or none of the signals might be a decent strategy of damage mitigation.

A lot can be done to tweak the mode - even simply map choice has a huge effect on balance, like this rotation affording the attacking teams huge swaths of hard to contest turf in exchange for a harder to assault middle compared to the Premiere Tricolor battles - that I'm confident Splatoon 3 will be able to work it out.

why do I keep getting put up against rulers +whatever when I'm only a defender and my team I'm matched with are similar to me.
I don't know if Turf War has any real matchmaking but the title has little to do with skill, so if it is matchmaking it's not based on that.

tricolor is pretty much the only remnant of the chaos theme
Nah lol. It's not just a mechanics deal - it's the whole aesthetic of the game that follows the theme. Discounting Splatoon's worldbuilding, especially when the devs put a lot of attention onto it, does a disservice to the game.

tricolor is pretty much the only remnant of the chaos theme
Nah,

They just portray chaos as a huge mismatch of culture. Take a look at Deep Cuts style, traditional Japanese singing with Indian Scales to a Brazilian Beat, and airhorns too.... Which I actually really love. In Western culture, chaos is basically presented as an apocalyptic wasteland. But it can simply be a lot of mismatched elements placed together, and it actually being something very beautiful.

both of the attacking teams win if one of them wins, making it overtly harder for the defenders as pretty much 40% of the map is fully off limits for you unless you wanna lose control of mid. though it is really fun I wish it felt more like a 2v2v4 than a 4v4 with friendly fire on. in the end I don't think too drastic a change is needed to make it work, maybe give more incentive for the losing teams to go after each other or something

Isn't there any advantage to be the #1 team? Maybe slightly more clout?

I had a pretty awful time over the weekend. A string of countless crushing defeats, like I was being toyed with by veterans, followed by a somewhat balanced string of wins and losses.

Those first 10 games were almost enough to make me quit for the weekend. I honestly don’t know if I want to bother with Splatfests after this one

Team Fun here. Saturday was pure pain for me. I got matched against great players on Team Gear constantly. Every game I won was very close, while on the losing end it was a thrashing. Today my luck turned around. I hopped on to play with some friends and won every game I got to play in the hour or so session.

I didn’t quite understand the tricolour battles during the premiere, but after doing quite a few today I really enjoyed the mode. As the defender at least. It was super hectic having to go back and forth to stop the various pushes from the attacking teams. The one match where we actually saw a coordinated attack was very stressful but a lot of fun.

I’m also not convinced Team Grub exists. In normal 4v4 battles I never matched them, and I played A LOT this weekend. Overall great fun, can’t wait for the next one.

Bit late but a tip for anyone struggling is go into pro instead of open. I was getting trashed in open but I've gone to pro and won like 6 in a row and just had a 17 kill game. Think pro means you can't team with friends or use vc so it's much better if you're a solo player anyway.

Isn't there any advantage to be the #1 team? Maybe slightly more clout?
the number 1 team is supposed to be the disadvantaged one in tricolor, it was just they were too disadvantaged, its essentially a comeback mechanic. I believe, Nintendo may have said otherwise

The nerf to the tricolor rates is too much. I didn't get it a single time (unless I get it on these last 30m)

the number 1 team is supposed to be the disadvantaged one in tricolor, it was just they were too disadvantaged, its essentially a comeback mechanic. I believe, Nintendo may have said otherwise
I meant in the actual Tricolor matches
Technically both attacking teams win, but only one of them is #1 in the match
I still didn't play any Tricolor match in this Splatfest, but in the Rock, Paper, Scissors one I started painting the other team's turf when it was unguarded :p maybe not worth it?

Last edited:
Anyone having internet connection issues. Thought it was my wifi so docked it with Ethernet. Connection is good in settings but I’m just getting constant issues with Splatoon 3 😞 I’m in the UK.

Apparently re downloading the game can fix the connection issues so I’m trying that. 9 mins on wired connection not too bad.

I got 2 X100 matches, won 1, lost 1.
Results out soon, who do you think going to win? My bet is on team fun because of much fewer tri-colour matches this time. I think I only got 3 tri-colour matches this second half.

I meant in the actual Tricolor matches
Technically both attacking teams win, but only one of them is #1 in the match
I still didn't play any Tricolor match in this Splatfest, but in the Rock, Paper, Scissors one I started painting the other team's turf when it was unguarded :p maybe not worth it?
both of the atacking teasm will gain clout if either wins I beleive.

Played again for the last hour or so of the Splatfest 12 wins, 4 losses, not bad at all. I’m really glad they brought back Mahi Mahi Resort. That map is a lot of fun. My winning strategy was to sneak into the enemy base in the last minute and ink the whole thing. When people died they wasted all of their time reclaiming it while my team solidified the middle.

Back
Top Bottom