• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was watching streamers & YouTube videos and often see the competitive pro players jumping prior to firing. Like, all the time.

What does that help with?

I can't find any tutorials on it, so I assume it's some kind of min-maxing trick like animation cancelling?

I was watching streamers & YouTube videos and often see the competitive pro players jumping prior to firing. Like, all the time.

I can't find any tutorials on it, so I assume it's some kind of min-maxing trick like animation cancelling?
It increases your mobility/makes you harder to hit, slightly increases your range bc the bullet falls further, and with the Intensify Action ability most added jump RNG/spread can be negated

Last edited:
You know, for a mode they keep pushing as the "tutorial to learn how to play the game" they keep making amazing single player campaign.
This was an absolute delight of a game, much better than the previous 2 games and on par with the octo expansion if not even better.
The ideas, the atmosphere in the main hubs (which are almost better than the levels) and of course the entire endgame was phenomenal. This series is truly a gem and it really shows the creative genius at Nintendo.
And don't get me started on the secret level, it may be the greatest challenge level ever made in a Nintendo game.
Wow what an amazing experience and now I'm scared, if the octo expansion blew away the splatoon 2 campaign in everything what's waiting for us with the future dlc campaign? What an amazing series.

Last edited:
I had seen my fair share of teams not playing the objective in Anarchy battle already, but today it's the first time I find a team that refuses to play the objective in Salmon Run.

I'm not even mad, it was sort of hilarious. They were killing enemies and bosses and then refusing to do anything with the eggs. I was the single person putting them in the basket.

Is there any difference between the Open and Pro Splatfest Battles?
Different categories during the final tally. Open is the big one worth 15 points and your voted team gains points regardless if you win or not. Pro is the "serious" category where you can earn more points winning but gain nothing for losing.

Tri-Color battles that unlock at half time will factor toward the Open category

10x, 100x, and 333x battles are available in both categories, btw

Open also has the synergy bonuses if you like seeing all the goofy team names

Also for the people who were concerned about getting to level 100, we get 20% more points for the catalog during a splatfest. With the first win bonus and the splatfest bonus together just winning a single match on all 6 splatfest days in a season will get you at least to level 10. And that's without using an XP drink ticket which 3 gives out like candy

Last edited:
So far it seems like Gear remembered to bring a lot of stuff to the island but left their A Game at home. We're eating good tonight

God, what's the Snail rewards for this Splatfest? I suck at Splatfest so much that I am going to be forced to grind this if I want Ruler so is it worth it?

Or, to put it another way. I had to take 4 battles for me to pass the fan rating. If I make it to ruler, it will be through sheer attrition. I want to get the snails because I know it's the best for chunks but God I feel so miserable if I have to take like over 100 losses in order to do it and plus the extra hate of being such a baggage for my team.

We’ll just played through the first 4 tutorial levels and I gotta say this is probably Nintendos most innovative series yet. As a first time player I’m blown away at the creativity and haven’t felt this way since I was a kid playing Mario/ Zelda for the first time. I can now see what the hype for these games are. I really just enjoy spraying ink all over the place, just so satisfying. Keep in mind I haven’t played any multiplayer yet but from what I have seen so far in first player campaign… I can honestly say I’m hooked. I thank those on this board that swayed me into buying this as my next game. I barely scratched the surface and can’t wait to play more.

People are going hard this Splatfest. I don't think I'm even playing that bad (1000+ points many matches) but I still find myself losing a lot.

I'm letting Team Gear down 😭

actually, never mind

I like this game

JwbWvqs.png

I swear everytime I do good twice in a row the game throws some super squad at me to make sure I don’t get too cocky

Edit: also does anyone know the difference between #1 overall splatter and #1 enemy splatter

Last edited:

It helps with me hating their guts…

Ok am I going crazy!?! Every game no matter open or pro has a big advertised TEAM message and apparently this means every game I've played since I started Splatfest is a fucking 4 player co-op mode!?! What did I do to deserve this!?!

EDIT: Ok fine, I guess I'm destined to not win today.

Last edited:
Open also has the synergy bonuses if you like seeing all the goofy team names

Also for the people who were concerned about getting to level 100, we get 20% more points for the catalog during a splatfest. With the first win bonus and the splatfest bonus together just winning a single match on all 6 splatfest days in a season will get you at least to level 10. And that's without using an XP drink ticket which 3 gives out like candy
I thought exp. tickets (food) only helped for your character level and did not give extra points to the catalog bar.

Just finished the single player campaign. That was fun! A lot of really cool levels and bosses. Not sure which campaign is my favorite. This one had by far the best overworld, but I think 2 had the best levels and bosses overall.

I feel like this kind of gameplay would be well suited to larger levels, or perhaps even open world structure (and I say that as someone who generally dislikes open worlds). Since this is the end of the trilogy, theres a chance to do something new with the series...

Got to Ruler +1 comfortably with some friends for Team Grub. Solid weapon comp of Flingza/Sloshing/Jr./Rapid. Fun seems to be the rare team this go around.

So
Shooters are about 10 times better than all other weapons, right?
Cuz from everything I have seen, also in Splatoon 2, the normal shooter weapons are EASILY the 'best' weapons. 52 gals are, like, gods.
It really feels like shooters are just way way better

So
Shooters are about 10 times better than all other weapons, right?
Cuz from everything I have seen, also in Splatoon 2, the normal shooter weapons are EASILY the 'best' weapons. 52 gals are, like, gods.
It really feels like shooters are just way way better
Yup

The gap was closed slightly between Splat 2 and 3, but shooters are by far still the best option on average especially for turf war

Yup

The gap was closed slightly between Splat 2 and 3, but shooters are by far still the best option on average especially for turf war
Yeah, glad it is not just me, haha. I can still manage it well with other weapons against shooters, but you can really tell that Shooter weapons are just SO much more versetile overall.
Having to get what feels like 3 direct hits with my Esplosher to kill someone vs 52 Gal looking at me sternly and I explode and die. XD

Yup

Yeah, glad it is not just me, haha. I can still manage it well with other weapons against shooters, but you can really tell that Shooter weapons are just SO much more versetile overall.
Having to get what feels like 3 direct hits with my Esplosher to kill someone vs 52 Gal looking at me sternly and I explode and die. XD

I'll take the opposing view on the grounds that it's too early to tell, shooters were never ten times better and that even if they were only 1% better that'd be enough for competitive players and online meta-chasers to go all in on shooters. But this is what the top teams at a recent Turf War tournament looked like:

Fc1pvkOaMAIHXHR

As a sidebar I question how much weight a weapon being better on average holds in a game build around a selection of specialized maps. The Explosher example speaks to this. Explosher is a highly specialized weapon. On certain maps, in certain modes and in certain team compositions an opposing .52 would never even get to touch it. The .52 having an advantage if it does close the gap isn't unfair.

I seriously hate chargers. They are literally the worst thing about the entire Splatoon franchise to me.
Abhorrid, un-fun weapons to fight against. Doesn't help that the twitch-aim shots are nigh impossible to actually react to.
I'll take the opposing view on the grounds that it's too early to tell, shooters were never ten times better and that even if they were only 1% better that'd be enough competitive teams and online meta-chasers to go all in on shooters. But this is what the top teams at a recent Turf War tournament looked like:

Fc1pvkOaMAIHXHR

As a sidebar I question how much weight a weapon being better on average holds in a game build around a selection of specialized maps. The Explosher example speaks to this. Explosher is a highly specialized weapon. On certain maps, in certain modes and in certain team compositions an opposing .52 would never even get to touch it. The .52 having an advantage if it does close the gap isn't unfair.
Note that I did not mean 10 times as a literal thing, haha. Just exaggerating for effect. I just mean they are SO versitile and so good at most things that using a specialized weapon VERY often, at least to me, makes it feel like you are at a huge disadvantage.
They just feel a bit "too good" in a lot of ways, to me.
I am sure stuff is different at the highest competetive, of course. Just like how no character is 'bad' in Smash but many are kinda... bad, specifically at high play

Note that I did not mean 10 times as a literal thing, haha. Just exaggerating for effect. I just mean they are SO versitile and so good at most things that using a specialized weapon VERY often, at least to me, makes it feel like you are at a huge disadvantage.
They just feel a bit "too good" in a lot of ways, to me.
I am sure stuff is different at the highest competetive, of course. Just like how no character is 'bad' in Smash but many are kinda... bad, specifically at high play

A large chunk of the stuff that makes shooters great is most relevant at the high end and matters less and less the lower in rank you go, like their mobility advantage not coming into play at all below a certain skill level.

The best picks at lower or mid tier play are weapons you can carry with, meaning slayer weapons and weapons that perform well regardless of what messed up random assortment of teammates you toss them into. That's where the problem with specialized weapons comes in. Some of those weapon that function well across the board are shooters. But with the current small selection of weapons even less ideal main weapons can end up better choices simply because they have kits with impactful specials. The .52 Gal for example is a good weapon with a good sub, but Killer Wail won't flip game states around or defend a winning position like Booyah Bomb is able to.

A large chunk of the stuff that makes shooters great is most relevant at the high end and matters less and less the lower in rank you go, like their mobility advantage not coming into play at all below a certain skill level.

The best picks at lower or mid tier play are weapons you can carry with, meaning slayer weapons and weapons that perform well regardless of what messed up random assortment of teammates you toss them into. Some of those are shooters. But with the current small selection of weapons even less ideal main weapons can end up better choices simply because they have kits with impactful specials. The .52 Gal for example is a good weapon with a good sub, but Killer Wail won't flip game states around or defend a winning position like Booyah Bomb can.
Sounds fair, yeah. Note that I did not mean it was a 'literally can't win' deal or so. Just after a few thousands of hours with the games, I have noticed that the hurdles I face, are either the abundance of shooters, or that one very good charger that doesn't let you play the game -w-
The 52gal in particular DOES feel off tho. It feels like it kills me in 1 hit all the time XD

I'll take the opposing view on the grounds that it's too early to tell, shooters were never ten times better and that even if they were only 1% better that'd be enough for competitive players and online meta-chasers to go all in on shooters. But this is what the top teams at a recent Turf War tournament looked like:

Fc1pvkOaMAIHXHR

I think machine eats up shooters, but other than that they're still by far the best imo.

Sounds fair, yeah. Note that I did not mean it was a 'literally can't win' deal or so. Just after a few thousands of hours with the games, I have noticed that the hurdles I face, are either the abundance of shooters, or that one very good charger that doesn't let you play the game -w-
The 52gal in particular DOES feel off tho. It feels like it kills me in 1 hit all the time XD

.52 is a two-shot, right? Yeah, by the time I can react to the first hit, I'm already dead. Thanks, lag. That's just a case of the Gal getting the benefit of the netcode more than most weapons.

From what I've seen Chargers are one of the factors holding shooters down the most right now. There was one memorable replay of a game I was in where I watched a Splattershot Pro on Mincemeat Metalwork have to be ultra-patient because they just couldn't approach a Charger and had to be aware of sightlines at all times. Took them an eternity to get an opening to take advantage of, and it wasn't like they were waiting idly. They were constantly moving, poking, working hard just to stay alive and be in position to exploit the very first sign of a vulnerability. It was just near impossible for them to create anything themselves.

Ironically, on that map a Slosher or Blaster breaking through and pushing up against the wall underneath the sniper's nest is probably one of the best ways to gain control of the middle. Shooters seem to have one hell of a sucky match-up.

Thanks game for giving me triple charger in a turf war match against a team of three shooters and a roller. Very fair.

We almost won...

I think machine eats up shooters, but other than that they're still by far the best imo.

If Machine got nerfed, I'd expect most of those to be replaced by shooters, but outside the Sloshing, there's still a decent variety in those teams: Stringers, Chargers, Splatlings, Rollers, Splatanas, even Blasters which I didn't expect to see in Turf War...

Question about Splatfests since I didn’t play too much of Splatoon or Splatoon 2 — was it only yesterday or is the Splatfest the entire weekend? I didn’t get a chance to play yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom