• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't care that much for the Trizooka challenge but the mode has potential to be some of the most fun the game has to offer.

Some challenges I think would be cool:
  • Chargers only (Rainmaker)
  • Brushes only (Clam Blitz)
  • Blasters only (Splat Zones)
  • Brellas only (Tower Control)
  • Booyah Bomb weapons only (Splat Zones)
  • Permanent Zipcaster (Tower Control)
  • Clam Blitz but Power Clams are now built with 4 clams instead of 8
  • Everyone has Ninja Squid, Wii U Stealth Jump, Drop Roller and can hide in enemy ink (Turf War)

I don't know if it's me, but it feels like Heavy Splatling Deco is difficult to use. Point Sensor helps a lot, but somehow it feels like I am normally outranged by even weapons that typically have less range like the Splattershot Pro. Also, Kraken Royale seems difficult to use only because it feels like it's easy for opponents to dodge it, and I feel that when it's about to end I have to get out of the enemy territory because it's easy to counter otherwise, with the Splatling's need to reload.

It would be fun if one of the challenges is about using either a specific sub or a specific special. I am thinking of weapons where there's either a Fizzy Bomb or a Tacticooler (or both, in Tri-Slosher Nouveau's case). Maybe it could be called "Soda Splurge" or some other name, which could use some work.

Thank you for reading.

When will they fix the passive special advantage in Tower Control?

In every other mode, the defending or losing team gets the advantage when it comes to the passive filling of the special meter, but for some reason, in Tower Control it's given to whichever team is on the tower, no matter what. The losing team only has the advantage there when the tower is neutral, but it hardly ever is.

It's also an incredibly high amount, making defending impossible because you get way more specials thrown at you than you could ever output yourself.

I don't know if it's me, but it feels like Heavy Splatling Deco is difficult to use. Point Sensor helps a lot, but somehow it feels like I am normally outranged by even weapons that typically have less range like the Splattershot Pro. Also, Kraken Royale seems difficult to use only because it feels like it's easy for opponents to dodge it, and I feel that when it's about to end I have to get out of the enemy territory because it's easy to counter otherwise, with the Splatling's need to reload.

I gave the Heavy Deco a little spin yesterday and, yeah, same. It's not just you. It's at least just us two.

I never minded Sprinkler on the default kit, and like Point Sensor better as a sub, but for whatever reason it's not doing it for me on this weapon. Kraken is a good get-off-me special to defend against a surprise flank or zipcaster, while using it offensively is tricky, so you often end up sitting on a filled meter while all the painting you do in the meantime goes to waste and with a fire-and-forget-it special instead could already build up to the next opportunity to press your team's advantage or stop an enemy push.

Most of all I haven't found a good map/mode for the Deco yet.

What you mention about always getting outranged by enemies who should be taken out by your fire first before they can fire at you is something I experience on every backliner/mid-range weapon. I blame the internet connection.

What you mention about always getting outranged by enemies who should be taken out by your fire first before they can fire at you is something I experience on every backliner/mid-range weapon. I blame the internet connection.
I blame the connection/netcode/lag too. Sometimes it happens too often (being outranged by weapons that shouldn't reach you).

TOO MANY TRIZOOKAS! was the most fun I've had with Splatoon 3 in months, so I didn't immediately switched the card out to put Tears of the Kingdom back in, but stuck around for a couple sessions in Anarchy Series. Got stuck in triple backline comps with a sole Junior to push the line match after match after match. Now I'm deep in the red and any semi-decent matchmaking is out of reach until the season reset, which means I just won't play.

No Hot Inkling Summer for me.

Finally got to play the new season today, so here's my initial thoughts. First of all, I did not expect the new songs to make much of an impact, but it is super refreshing to finally hear something new. I hope we won't have to wait as long until the next batch.

New Tenta kit is great, really different playstyle from the other one. Although I'll need to play quite a bit of tent again to get used to the main weapon.

I also gave the new Splatling a go; the kit feels more punchy than the old one. I prefer it I think, point sensor is deece and rarely useless. Kraken really sets it apart though! You can get weirdly aggressive with it either by forcing people to move or flanking to a position you normally wouldn't be able to get with a Splatling.

Also got to play one and a bit game on the new stage. .....but it's nothing special, quite forgettable honestly.

I had to look it up in the app to verify there was something. NintendoLife had no coverage for it and they usually post something for events like this.
Yep. It's really odd. Like, let your players there is an important and big event!
I only started the game to do the daily Shell-Out machine. I had no intention to play extensively this weekend, if at all (cause I am still very into TotK).

Undertow is solid, definitely the highest scoring map so far. Low-tide is brutal but the other two are very reliable. 155 is a great start but I don't think it will be enough for top 5% this time

Got 141 eggs, so maybe I'll try again on Sunday. I like this version of Undertow Spillway better (I'm not a fan of the original).

Managed to sneak in an hour of Big Run despite being busy, 106 is my high score that I'm happy enough with

Hot take, but Splattershot Nova is one of the best designed weapons in the game. It's capable but not overpowering. Most shooters I feel it's not fair to fight against, but this one has the perfect kill time. Add to that 2 very flavourful kits and you've got a weapon that is not overpowering but occupies a very nice niche

Hot take, but Splattershot Nova is one of the best designed weapons in the game. It's capable but not overpowering. Most shooters I feel it's not fair to fight against, but this one has the perfect kill time. Add to that 2 very flavourful kits and you've got a weapon that is not overpowering but occupies a very nice niche
I just wish it had actual bombs. It'd be so interesting to have a weapon that takes a lot of shots to kill, but had a bomb to reduce that significantly

I just wish it had actual bombs. It'd be so interesting to have a weapon that takes a lot of shots to kill, but had a bomb to reduce that significantly
Probably for third kit it will get some kind of bomb, but for now I'm glad it doesn't have any tbh. Every shooter and their mother already has a bomb so it's nice to have a shooter that differentiates itself a bit.

What did you need for top 5% last time does anyone remember?
Big Run Wahoo
Top 50% (1 430 000) -> at least 88 eggs
Top 20% (572 000) -> at least 113 eggs
Top 5% (143 000) -> at least 137 eggs

Big Run Inkblot
Top 50% (1 383 448) -> at least 90 eggs
Top 20% (553 379) -> at least 117 eggs
Top 5% (138 345) -> at least 141 eggs

Big Run Wahoo
Top 50% (1 430 000) -> at least 88 eggs
Top 20% (572 000) -> at least 113 eggs
Top 5% (143 000) -> at least 137 eggs

Big Run Inkblot
Top 50% (1 383 448) -> at least 90 eggs
Top 20% (553 379) -> at least 117 eggs
Top 5% (138 345) -> at least 141 eggs
Thanks!
First game I got 146 so maybe I should just stick with that and hope it’s enough lol

Gotta say, this map ain't great for Big Run.
Given the number of complaints about map design in general for this iteration it’s starting to feel like maybe it’s time to limit maps to specific modes instead of this all-sizes-fit-one approach.

I totally appreciate the novelty factor of Big Run but I really wonder if its inclusion is what changed the approach to design this time aside from the staffing changes.

I got 129 eggs as the record for Big Run, which is higher than the previous ones at 113 and 121 respectively, but the comments sound like the threshold might be higher than before, so I wonder if 129 will even be enough for silver this time.

The map is certainly very difficult on low tide, with how you have to climb to reach the other side, and while it's helped by having some safe spots, if the danger is happening in another part of the map, getting there will be a challenge because of how much you have to pass through to get there. It's appreciative that there is a safe spot especially on the Glowflies round AND the basket is near that spot, because I wonder how difficult it would be without it.

Thank you for reading.

This map is high-key terrible for Salmon Run. Infinite blind spots and narrow lanes and corners to get trapped in and then swarmed with so many chum no one can even rescue you.

It's nice seeing Undertow Spillway in a different light, at least.

First run VP 40 normal tide felt like high tide 200% hazard level on other maps. Second run we got four chargers (two of them Snipewriters), so this grindy rng-fest of a competitive mode is still the drizzling shits and can suck my ink-filled nuts.

Managed to reach 144 but I'm unsure if I'll be able to top it.
I feel like 5% should be higher this time around but seeing online posts about how bad the map is for this mode gives me some hope lol.

Low tide is definitely AWFUL tho.

It's nice seeing Undertow Spillway in a different light, at least.

First run VP 40 normal tide felt like high tide 200% hazard level on other maps. Second run we got four chargers (two of them Snipewriters), so this grindy rng-fest of a competitive mode is still the drizzling shits and can suck my ink-filled nuts.
Weapon comps really can just kill a run even with a decent team. The game keeps throwing blaster/charger only teams at me, and we just get overwhelmed due to the lack of turfing.

Somehow a teammate made it onto the little island on the right side of mid tide, must have been a good cohock slap, and it's impossible to get back from there. A bit of an oversight

Given the number of complaints about map design in general for this iteration it’s starting to feel like maybe it’s time to limit maps to specific modes instead of this all-sizes-fit-one approach.

I totally appreciate the novelty factor of Big Run but I really wonder if its inclusion is what changed the approach to design this time aside from the staffing changes.
That's an interesting theory, but the prior two Big Run maps that everyone actually liked were Splatoon 2 maps.

I'd chalk it up to staffing changes. They went for something different, and it hasn't really worked.

Somehow a teammate made it onto the little island on the right side of mid tide, must have been a good cohock slap, and it's impossible to get back from there. A bit of an oversight
You can, you just need to paint a small wall on main land and jump.
Still an oversight, tho.

After 13 Big Runs I finally made it to Cohozuna. Got an extra 9 bronze scales for the effort. Sad woomy.

Edit: Went through all shifts, and ten of the thirteen had at least one wave with three or more backline weapons. Please put more funding into the science of pools to guarantee half-way usable comps, Squid Research Lab.

Last edited:
Played for a few hours last night. Not a single golden scale 😑

141 remains my best record. I think I should demote myself to make the waves easier and try again. People seem to have more success at getting higher scores around 190 VP.

Broke my record and reached 146! Not by far but I'm happy with this Big Run, better than the last one for sure.
Good luck everyone! :)

150??? I thought I had a good chance with 141

I really, really regret not taking the first Big Run seriously, that was probably my only real shot at gold with how the thresholds keep going up

The quotas just keep going up. Glad I made it to top 5% for once for that sweet sweet badge. This definitely had the highest scoring potential but was the least consistent of the 3 stages. I had like 5 or 6 shifts this time that were higher than either of my bests on the last 2 Big Runs

Man, I thought my 151 was a safe score and I ended up just squeezing by. I wonder what the equalization point for Big Run will be, it's hard to believe it can just keep going up forever.

I'm curious: how do they get these numbers?

I think the two primary reasons for the drop in players are:
  1. Losing casual people because the game's updates are too slow. There are so many games and entertainment options, every 3 months isn't working, imo.

2. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. I consider myself a low-key hardcore player (I'm not good, I'm just invested on it and play it every day), but since Zelda released, I just do my daily win, Shell-Out machine and get the SR rewards if there is a new shift, then I go back immediately to Zelda.

I also feel they have dropped the ball with the promotion of the game. I didn't even know there was going to be an Big Run event this weekend.

Yeah, I said to a friend earlier that the only way that stages results got higher was because the player base and to have dropped off hugely.

I think I'm close to done for the rest of the season already too. The slower updates with less content just suck.

I'm curious: how do they get these numbers?

I think the two primary reasons for the drop in players are:
  1. Losing casual people because the game's updates are too slow. There are so many games and entertainment options, every 3 months isn't working, imo.

2. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. I consider myself a low-key hardcore player (I'm not good, I'm just invested on it and play it every day), but since Zelda released, I just do my daily win, Shell-Out machine and get the SR rewards if there is a new shift, then I go back immediately to Zelda.

I also feel they have dropped the ball with the promotion of the game. I didn't even know there was going to be an Big Run event this weekend.

The main reason is that there wasn't anything important going on. The first big run was the first big run so it was novel, the second was the debut of horrorboros, and the third had nothing special. It had a new map and the scale bonus but nothing that was a "must-see," it was just another big run. If next season's big run has a new king salmonid it'll have somewhere north of 2.25 million players.

Through "datamining", from npln when the results are published
Thanks!

The main reason is that there wasn't anything important going on. The first big run was the first big run so it was novel, the second was the debut of horrorboros, and the third had nothing special. It had a new map and the scale bonus but nothing that was a "must-see," it was just another big run. If next season's big run has a new king salmonid it'll have somewhere north of 2.25 million players.
I agree that it was definitely a big factor, but I doubt it was the main reason [to "lose" almost 1 million players].

Sorry, but a new map that won't be returning any time soon should be a much bigger draw than a new boss that will return in at most 2 rotations away. To say it's nothing special is bending the reality of it pretty harshly.

Sorry, but a new map that won't be returning any time soon should be a much bigger draw than a new boss that will return in at most 2 rotations away. To say it's nothing special is bending the reality of it pretty harshly.
'new' map because it's an existing one that plenty of people have already played on. It's just that the mode is different.

Personally speaking, a new boss is way more exciting than a slightly tweaked existing map. Even if I can easily fight it again afterwards, I'd rather fight it at its grand premiere and experience the hype of the event.

Back
Top Bottom