• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't played on Humpback yet, but I liked it on S2. How is it sloppier?

The shifts in elevation are more extreme. I couldn't tell if that's a function of condensing the terrain into tighter spaces or because the difference in altitude between high and low points actually increased, though.

The new Salmon Run stage is so absolutely amazing there are so many cool routes and options (the ton of inkable walls hello??), there is no way this is just luck the devs KNOW how to design maps, surely the actual problem comes from higher-ups

I'm sad I didn't get a chance to experience the "stuck in the helicopter" bug. That one looked like fun

The best part about Jammin' Salmon Junction, besides the excellent name and design, is the idea that the inklings started building a bridge but the salmonids took it over and turned it into a giant horn machine. I bet eventually we'll learn that this was supposed to be Hammerhead's original span before it got abandoned after a big run

The new Salmon Run stage is so absolutely amazing there are so many cool routes and options (the ton of inkable walls hello??), there is no way this is just luck the devs KNOW how to design maps, surely the actual problem comes from higher-ups
I'm surprised this confusion is so prevalent. Salmon Run maps are designed to give players options, while if a PVP map gives too many options it's not fun for casual players who are completely eviscerated by vets in ways they can't even understand

I'm surprised this confusion is so prevalent. Salmon Run maps are designed to give players options, while if a PVP map gives too many options it's not fun for casual players who are completely eviscerated by vets in ways they can't even understand
That's the opposite of what happens. A complex map gives players lots of places to hide, provides more cover, and allows for a greater variety of options to advance which suits a wider set of playstyles. Simpler maps focus action onto limited spaces which leads to more encounters being decided by mechanical skill

That's the opposite of what happens. A complex map gives players lots of places to hide, provides more cover, and allows for a greater variety of options to advance which suits a wider set of playstyles. Simpler maps focus action onto limited spaces which leads to more encounters being decided by mechanical skill
I suspect you're all too good at the game to envision it through a scrub's eyes

Also makes it all the more mystifying that the two retro SR stages are the worst ones they ever made

ZiSRBcv.jpg

Why do they keep doing this? Narrow areas/bottlenecks, where there is only 1 (very bad) alternative route to get out, and if you do, you get ambushed by enemies camping on the bottleneck.
I just don't get their obsession with this map design. It isn't fun, it isn't good.

Also, the limited duration of the challenges suck. Extremely frustrated by the schedule.

The shifts in elevation are more extreme. I couldn't tell if that's a function of condensing the terrain into tighter spaces or because the difference in altitude between high and low points actually increased, though.
Outside of the respawn area, I didn't notice any major differences (in size nor altitude), tbh. I only played on it during the last 40 minutes of the Turf Wars challenge, tho, and I hadn't seen the stage since last year when I stopped playing S2, so my memory might be tricking me.

Also makes it all the more mystifying that the two retro SR stages are the worst ones they ever made
Salmonid Smokeyard when?!

The new map is soooo freaking bad. It's very frustrating. There is seriously not one good route to get out of your side. All the victories and losses have been exactly the same: camping on the bottleneck. There is no strategy.

I like the challenges, and the idea of them. Does somebody know what determines the amount of points you earn or lose after the match? I've lost +40 points three times in a row :p

Edit: I just went from 2128 to 1789. I have lost the last 8 matches. Today's is not my day 😅

Last edited:
The new map is soooo freaking bad. It's very frustrating. There is seriously not one good route to get out of your side. All the victories and losses have been exactly the same: camping on the bottleneck. There is no strategy.

I like the challenges, and the idea of them. Does somebody know what determines the amount of points you earn or lose after the match? I've lost +40 points three times in a row :p

Edit: I just went from 2128 to 1789. I have lost the last 8 matches. Today's is not my day 😅
The difference between the teams' powers decides the amount of points. If your team's average power is much higher than the other team, but you lose, your points go down way more.

Nintendo really needs to rework the stupid Challenges timeslots, my most hyped addition to the game and I won't be able to try them.

One thing I think is nice with Challenge is how varied the challenges are. The first one is rather basic, but it's the first time a public challenge disables secondary abilities, which gives it something new instead of just being Turf War. Since there's no dependency on secondary abilities, it's good to grind for chunks (you still level up gear anyway). I didn't play for the whole duration, but I somehow managed to get top 50%, which is good due to badge. I fear that I can't get to top 5% because competition is understandably going to be fierce.

The next one is Too Many Trizookas, which from what I understand, allows for the special to be built quickly. It seems that Clash Blaster would've gotten it built in the least time since it's got the least points, which can help it (and it has Splat Bomb, which is really good). I guess Special Charge Up can be used, but that requires using it and not some other potential special like I guess Ink Resistance Up (since Trizooka can't paint well underneath it).

We'll see how well these challenges hold up, but I hope that one day their duration can be prolonged like how Salmon Run used to have a strict duration (in Splatoon 2) but its periods last longer.

Thank you for reading.

It's kinda crazy how much your internal power level affects your calculation power. I went 4-1 and didn't get a higher power than that, but I still got top 5%

Every run on Jammin' Salmon Junction felt like it was High Tide ...

... until I got the first actual High Tide wave.

Fun fact!

Darker ink colors have a statistically proven advantage over lighter ones.

image.png

However, the new color lock is better for this, since it has a less light Alpha color, and less dark Bravo color!

image.png

Fun fact!

Darker ink colors have a statistically proven advantage over lighter ones.

image.png

However, the new color lock is better for this, since it has a less light Alpha color, and less dark Bravo color!

image.png
This is a really cool data. Thanks for sharing.
And it's in line with what I've saying since the second or third Splatfest when it comes to colors.

This is a really cool data. Thanks for sharing.
And it's in line with what I've saying since the second or third Splatfest when it comes to colors.
I bet the difference would be even larger in splatfests, because of the different lighting.

I bet the difference would be even larger in splatfests, because of the different lighting.
I would bet money that it is larger.
I honestly can't see properly during the fests, it's like the team with darker/bluer colors is using Squid Ninja permanently. There have been Splatfests where even the difference between areas/platforms and their heights become null to my eyes because it's one big, dark blob.

@Sheldon has also suffered similarly during the events, IIRC.

@Sheldon has also suffered similarly during the events, IIRC.

I honestly don't perceive much of a practical difference whether it's night-time or day-time lightning. As soon as enemies disappear into one of the darker ink colors, I have to study 30 seconds replays to notice the difference between Ninja Squid and non-Ninja Squid ripples.

There was a moment of trepidation when I saw the new color lock option included blue again, but they picked the best possible blue, so I'm pretty happy with it. Was almost enough to earn the patch a S+ grade, until I found out Barnacle & Dime is another Splatzone the size of a postage stamp.

I understand why photo mode is so limited in features (especially in multiplayer) now!

They wanna keep these pictures special 🙃

I hope we get a stage with ice physics next winter season. They are already implemented in world 3 of the story mode, so it wouldn't be too much trouble

I watch the clock like a hawk these days, breathing a sigh of relief when it hits 2 minutes left so someone quitting doesn't ruin the vibes and boot everyone back to matchmaking.

I can get 5-0s in S but it's over the moment I attempt to rank up. I don't remember struggling like this to get to S+ in the past two seasons.

This challenge is so freaking fun!

Edit: I can honestly say if these were available all the time, I would not play any other mode. It's is sooooo refreshing.

Last edited:
My very first placement match I went up against a 2200ish average team. A bit later, after I had settled in the 1700-1800 range, I went up against a 1200ish team.

Event is whack, but not as whack as the matchmaking.

I really liked this video explaining why Turf War isn't a good mode for tournaments and why it sucks that Nintendo keeps pushing it as one.

I especially like the comment comparing Turf War to Tower Control, except the team that wins is the team that has the tower pushed furthest at the moment the timer hits zero.

I especially like the comment comparing Turf War to Tower Control, except the team that wins is the team that has the tower pushed furthest at the moment the timer hits zero.

That sounds pretty exciting! And is how tug of war works with a time limit.

The video's argument relies too hard on the assumption that cumulative advantage needs to translate cleanly into points. In soccer, one team can outplay the other for 90 minutes and then lose to a dumb goal in extra time. Superiority in possession, shots on targets, completed passes, successful tackles, no matter how crushing, isn't recognized by the scoreboard. Sports often benefit from allowing the possibility of undeserving winners. The fact that the only metric given for outplaying someone in Splatoon is beating them in a fight, and not any of the other ways one team can be better than another - painting, zoning, clock managment, for example, which are all rewarded in Turf War - also speaks to a certain reductiveness in this view.

I'll support the notion that Turf War is more suited to best-of series than single matches or one-off matches in a series mixed in with other modes, though. In fact, Nintendo, if you listen, hold a Turf War Blitz tournament! All Turf Wars only last one minute. Teams have to win three/four/five to advance. Woomy it!

The fact that the only metric given for outplaying someone in Splatoon is beating them in a fight, and not any of the other ways one team can be better than another - painting, zoning, clock managment, for example, which are all rewarded in Turf War - also speaks to a certain reductiveness in this view.
The other modes inherently already judge teams on all these things and do all of them better, in more intricate ways which reward better, more skilled play, than turf.

The other modes inherently already judge teams on all these things and do all of them better, in more intricate ways which reward better, more skilled play, than turf.

They do reward it. I'm not convinced they do it much better or more intricately than Turf War.

Ultimately the difference in opinion isn't about whether Turf War is a lesser mode for the sake of competitive Splatoon. It is. But I think the gap is exaggerated and Turf War isn't as useless, drab, or non-indicative of skill, as many of those opposed to it make out.

Not only that, but it also adds the actual cumulative point based win conditions (goals), in the form of the objective.

Honestly, I think overall nonlethal subs were nerfed in this update.

With machine nerfed, that's basically the only really strong main weapon source of AoE in the game gone. The best replacement for that, is to use/throw more damaging bombs, meaning that using nonlethal subs in your team will make you struggle for AoE damage.

Back
Top Bottom