• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indifferent on the trailer from a personal perspective. I have to see the new kits, how new weapons work, and the buffs and nerfs to current for a change in opinion. Like the look of the new map but not the design.

From a nonpersonal perspective, the new music and challenges in turf war is going to be greatly appreciated by alot of ppl.

Starting to get a little fed up with the pace of content, especially the kits. It's not confirmed, but if the tableturf cards they showed are the only new weapons this season, it's absolutely abysmal. The pace of new weapon kits is only decreasing as time goes on, and it's disheartening to see.

(Chill Season: 10 kits + 3 new mains)
(Fresh Season: 12 kits)
(Sizzle Season: 9 kits + 2 new mains)

I like Humpback Pump Track, at least in turf wards and clam bitz :p

Those can't be the only new kits, right? Did they reveal all the new content in the previous season announcement video(s)?

We find scrims (private battle practice lobbies) against other competitive teams, and then between matches we discuss what we did well last match and what we could've done better. We practice whatever we think works well, so for some maps/modes we use different things than others.
Thanks! Sounds like very committed work :D

Only having 2 stringers for an entire year, which are the game's star weapon type, is absolutely absurd. The Gold Dynamo being used for pre-release key art and then not coming out for over a year might be even more nonsensical since that doesn't even require a new model.

Noooo mooore League! (vine boom)
Nooo mooore League Power! (vine boom)
No more League Battle rotation! (vine boom)
Nooooooo moooooore teeeaaams! (triple vine boom)

Weapons that still only have 1 kit:

.52 Gal / Squeezer
Dynamo / Flingza
E-Liter 4K / Squiffer / Bamboozler 14 / Goo Tuber / Snipewriter 5H
Blaster / Range (/ S-Blast)
Octobrush (/ Painbrush)
Hydra / Ballpoint / Nautilus
Bloblobber / Explosher / Sloshing Machine
Dualies / Glooga
Brella / Undercover
Reef-Lux 450 / Tri-Stringer
Stamper

At the current pace it'll take 3 more seasons for everything to get a 2nd kit, so by March 2024 (1½ years after launch)

So maybe post-launch support gets extended from 2 years to 3 years after launch, which should allow every weapon to get a 3rd kit eventually

Last edited:
I guess they made the Event mode limited time cos they didn't want to fragment the playerbase even more with new modes. I was really looking fowards to having fun with the new mode too. We'll see how that mode turns out to be

I'm going to have to stop caring about content drops, new modes, and limited time garbage. The game is the game, it'll remain the game, and I'll play it when I want to play it.

If they're gonna give us like 11 kits per season, can they at least make them usable?

I had really hoped challenges would be a random surprise thing they’d do on turf war just to make it even more casual but would make it more interesting when you’re stuck playing the same map 5 times in a row.

I think they're deathly afraid of fragmented the playerbase...which is, ironically, fragmenting the playerbase.
This is fairly obvious and why in Splatoon 2 Salmon Run was on a weird schedule. It’s why Splatfests are Turf War only rather than all modes (including Salmon Run) contributing to a team’s performance. It’s why Tableturf is friends only and not open to playing against randoms.

Given how popular the game is they really shouldn’t have to worry about fragmentation.

I'm going to have to stop caring about content drops, new modes, and limited time garbage. The game is the game, it'll remain the game, and I'll play it when I want to play it.
This is the way

It’s why Tableturf is friends only and not open to playing against randoms.

Eh, you can play that against people not on your friends list, you just have to join a pool, right? Unsurprisingly the pool "tableturf" always has battles. It just doesn't have much matchmaking beyond that.

Wow that kit, sprinkler makes sense here but it really shouldn't be paired with reefslider

I assumed challenges would be time limited weekend events but just 3 identical rotations randomly spotted through the weekend is an especially bizarre way of doing it. At least we'll get some extra gacha pulls for playing it I suppose

You know why they do this, right? It's not about fragmenting the playerbase, if they were worried about that we wouldn't have four fucking rotations. It's so you keep paying for Nintendo Switch Online. You've gotta pay to play that weekend specifically, because otherwise you'll miss out! Don't forget to finish your catalog! Make sure you keep your payment info updated or you might miss this season's funny sticker!

You know why they do this, right? It's not about fragmenting the playerbase, if they were worried about that we wouldn't have four fucking rotations. It's so you keep paying for Nintendo Switch Online. You've gotta pay to play that weekend specifically, because otherwise you'll miss out! Don't forget to finish your catalog! Make sure you keep your payment info updated or you might miss this season's funny sticker!
I think this is the main reason, but fragmentation is an issue. People in top 500 X battles are struggling really hard to find matches a lot of the time.

I think this is the main reason, but fragmentation is an issue. People in top 500 X battles are struggling really hard to find matches a lot of the time.
potentially controversial opinion: this would be fixed by banning x rank players from series and open

potentially controversial opinion: this would be fixed by banning x rank players from series and open
Tbh I could see a potential solution here

If someone reaches S+, just say "congrats you're X for the rest of the season now" and lock them out of series. Open should still be available, but having 3 ranked modes you can play solo is kinda unnecessary.

To stay in X next season, gotta reach a certain placement in X battles instead of reaching S+10. That seems fair to me.

I was mildly hype about the scope and the challenges and then they do this.

Hoping Side Order is at least Octo Expansion level, because so far Splatoon 3 has been pretty meh on the post launch support. Which is weird because I feel it started a bit better than 2 did.

Well they convinced me to play early access Diablo instead of Splatoon on June 1. I was looking forward to the Scope after finding out its range :/ Still have some interests in Painbrush though.

Yknow, if the scope main weapon is busted enough, I'll still play it. If you throw enough Quick Respawn on a weapon, its kit doesn't matter.

Per reddit if anyone is interested
:

Splatana Wiper Deco: The sub is Beakon (the ink cost is way too high for anything else, can be seen during the gameplay of the "Extreme Jump Battle" challenge mode)
Tenta Sorella Brella: The special is Trizooka, the weapon can be barely seen when they showed the "Too Many Trizookas" challenge mode, which only showed weapons with Trizooka on its kit.
Painbrush: 70% ink required for sub weapon, that's all I saw.
S-BLAST '92: 60% ink cost for the sub, too many options to guess.
Annaki Splattershot Nova: The player using it during the gameplay of "Foggy Notion" has Ink Saver Sub (seen when Challenge mode is revealed), and it showed the line around 50%, so it's not Angle Shooter or Burst Bomb, but might be Autobomb.
Light Tetra Dualies: Line is a bit over 50%, so the player definitely had Ink Saver Sub, and seems like another 60%. (can't be 55% because Autobomb is already on the other kit)
Big Swig Roller Express: Even though you never see the player using it during gameplay, the 2 off-screen swings in "Foggy Nation" show they're on yellow team, and the one player in the victory screen at the end of the trailer that you don't see anywhere else (except with Carbon Deco) has an ink tank with the line at 40%, so the sub can only be Angle Shooter.

I think Prochara said one of the kits probaly have tentamissiles. That kinda needs to be Big Swig.

I still don't understand why Splatoon 3 has not introduced any new mode, as Splatoon 2 did with Salmon Run at launch and Clam Blitz later. It's not happening this time. Splatoon 3 is fun and all but when you consider that there will not be brand new Splatoon for a long time on new hardware (aside from Splatoon 3 via backward compatible) they should probably kept this game longer in the owen and make it available for next system. Splatoon 3 is not DLC by any means as some people like to call it, I bought it on day 1 but it's not like a this is the huge sequel deal either. Hopefully Side Order will be great, which it no doubt will be. As for next Splatoon, they will somewhat reinvent the wheel I suppose.

I dont think we are getting a new mode in a traditional sense given that we have gotten the following new modes:

Tricolor
Extrawork
Big Run
Tableturf
Challenges

Thats already alot of new things that the devs are still trying to perfect. And who knows what the heck is going on with League. Based on how everything is being rolled out, I am very skeptical we will get a new mode like Clam Blitz.

It's kind of funny that, in 2025 when timed events are all done, the only new mode this game will have is a barely-supported card game. Everything else will be gone forever, and the core multiplayer will literally just be Splatoon 2's but with QoL updates and the obligatory new weapons and maps.

I’m personally pretty excited for Challenges. I think the potential gameplay modifiers makes this addition equal to a new mode being introduced for me. I played a lot of Arcade game modes in Overwatch back in the day so I can see how fun and different things can feel. Hoping they add a Ninja Squid Challenge on rotation lol.

Edit: Missed that this was confirmed as a timed mode -_-

Last edited:
This entire game is just one big "We made something really cool, BUT also [insert massive drawback/annoyance here]"
sA5cmGF.gif

I dont think we are getting a new mode in a traditional sense given that we have gotten the following new modes:

Tricolor
Extrawork
Big Run
Tableturf
Challenges

Thats already alot of new things that the devs are still trying to perfect. And who knows what the heck is going on with League. Based on how everything is being rolled out, I am very skeptical we will get a new mode like Clam Blitz.
And four of those are limited time events, with the 5th being private battles only

Really dislike that

I still don't understand why Splatoon 3 has not introduced any new mode, as Splatoon 2 did with Salmon Run at launch and Clam Blitz later. It's not happening this time. Splatoon 3 is fun and all but when you consider that there will not be brand new Splatoon for a long time on new hardware (aside from Splatoon 3 via backward compatible) they should probably kept this game longer in the owen and make it available for next system. Splatoon 3 is not DLC by any means as some people like to call it, I bought it on day 1 but it's not like a this is the huge sequel deal either. Hopefully Side Order will be great, which it no doubt will be. As for next Splatoon, they will somewhat reinvent the wheel I suppose.
I really think towards the end of the game's life cycle, they should put a randomized event (however much that's possible) in rotation every day in a "Fun Mode "queue. One day you'll have a Big Run, the next Tricolor Turf War, then Challenges etc.

And four of those are limited time events, with the 5th being private battles only

Really dislike that

Yup. If there is some reason for doing this that only the devs know they need to at least comsider increasing the frequency of the events. I dont think having an event at each beginning-mid-end of a month ( i.e. Splatfest-Xtrawork-BigRun) is too big a ask. Challenges should imo be similar to Splatoon 2 Salmon Run where its open every other day ( at least 3 days) and its open ALL day the when its available.

Tableturf has a decent amount of people and should have online play by now and I am surprised they dont have special monthly events where you can play a series of tough npcs for an emote or something. Tableturf almost feels like a throwaway mode...but maybe the devs are distracted, as i said before, they got alot of modes to work on that isnt perfected.

Lastly, stop being stingy with rewards, doing something small like giving top Big Run/etc performers a free 1-2 level ups Catalog or 2-5 Snails isnt going to disrupt the grindy Splatoon economy.

I also don’t understand why they didn’t let this bake in the oven longer so it’s a launch title for the new hardware (hopefully next year). After about a year on from release it really feels like this mostly existed to reset player progression rather than moving the series forward in a significant manner.

I also don’t understand why they didn’t let this bake in the oven longer so it’s a launch title for the new hardware (hopefully next year).

They can absolutely churn out an Splatoon 4 for the new hardware launch exactly in the same way the last three games in the series went.

At this point, the weird undercooked jank is a staple of the franchise.

Any info on what specials and subs the new weapons will have?

Haven’t played Splatoon much the last season, so going into this season with new weapons and stuff, I’ll have 2 seasons worth of new weapons. i think I played for like 2 weeks at the start of the current season then stopped

Any info on what specials and subs the new weapons will have?

Haven’t played Splatoon much the last season, so going into this season with new weapons and stuff, I’ll have 2 seasons worth of new weapons. i think I played for like 2 weeks at the start of the current season then stopped
S-Blast '92SprinklerReefslidershown using it
Splatana Wiper DecoSquid Beakon?based on Ink Tank
Tenta Sorella Brella?Trizookashown using it
Big Swig Roller ExpressLine Marker?shown using it
Annaki Splattershot NovaInk MineInkjetshown using it
Custom Dualie SquelchersSquid Beakon?shown using it
Light Tetra DualiesSprinkler?shown using it
PainbrushCurling/Suction/Splat Bomb?either of those based on Ink Tank

Nothing definitive yet on Heavy Splatling Deco, Rapid Blaster Pro Deco or H-3 Nozzlenose D.

Also based on ink splatter patterns in the trailer, one weapon among these 3 is likely to have Tenta Missiles:
  • Splatana Wiper Deco
  • Heavy Splatling Deco
  • Custom Dualie Squelchers

Personally very excited for Tent with Zooka and both Wiper and Squelchers with Beakon, this is pretty much perfect kit synergy so far for them. S'Blast and Light Tetras are awful on the other hand :(

Regardless of when the next console comes out, I don't see Splat4 launching until 2025 at the earliest.

I'd be sad if they didn't have a team already working on next Splatoon, honestly. That at least would explain a lot of the things going on with 3.

Does anyone still have any hope that Salmon Run's Pair and especially Underground modes will actually be permanent additions and not yet again limited time nonsense? Underground is SR's hard mode, I have no idea how they'll manage to ruin it but now I'm sure they will find a way

Does anyone still have any hope that Salmon Run's Pair and especially Underground modes will actually be permanent additions and not yet again limited time nonsense? Underground is SR's hard mode, I have no idea how they'll manage to ruin it but now I'm sure they will find a way
I can understand why Big Run and Contest are time limited, but after seeing that the Challenge mode is time limited I am really afraid about Pair and Underground. (Pair should come first btw)

Open as been repurposed as League mode.

Oh uh, that explains a lot

They also say you can finally change gear and continue in open!

update on the known kits:

S-Blast '92SprinklerReefslider
Splatana Wiper DecoSquid Beakon?
Tenta Sorella Brella?Trizooka
Big Swig Roller ExpressLine MarkerInk Storm
Annaki Splattershot NovaInk MineInkjet
Custom Dualie SquelchersSquid Beakon?
Light Tetra DualiesSprinkler?
PainbrushCurling BombWave Breaker
Heavy Splatling Deco?Kraken Royale
H-3 Nozzlenose D??
Rapid Blaster Pro Deco??

Also based on ink splatter patterns in the trailer, one weapon among these 2 is likely to have Tenta Missiles:
  • Splatana Wiper Deco
  • Custom Dualie Squelchers

The Painbrush kit is actually very solid if the main weapon holds up. Curling bomb is fine here as Roller and Octobrush without lethal subs struggle to get in. The special and painting seem solid.

Heavy Splattling Deco needed either wall+almost any special or any sub+ Kraken to differtiate itself and have its own use outside of the regular kit. So Heavy deco is already in a good spot no matter what sub it gets imo.

Back
Top Bottom