• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's just an estimate, but I believe we'll end up getting the same amount of post-launch content as Splatoon 2 at this pace, despite having longer post-launch support promised, just because it's coming at a slower pace

I swear I normally don't squidbag people but these chargers were kicking my ass for several matches in a row and my "revenge" was so ridiculous and silly, I couldn't help myself

LOL nice tristrike usage! And that squidbag is the most appropriate kind.

It's just an estimate, but I believe we'll end up getting the same amount of post-launch content as Splatoon 2 at this pace, despite having longer post-launch support promised, just because it's coming at a slower pace

Yes at the end of the game's life that is what I'm expecting too. I just wish we had more new and better maps. I'm getting discouraged.

Sometimes I wonder how Hagglefish Market turned out the way it did.

Even if it gets there eventually, that doesn't mean a lot. The game should have had a lot more, not limped it's way to where we already were after two years. We're half a year in and the game doesn't even have a new permanent mode where 2 at least had clam blitz and salmon run. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here though)

With the way Splatoon currently exists (4v4 and still inheriting the base mechanics that have existed since 1) I think they've more or less hit a proverbial ceiling in regards to modes they can add into Anarchy rotation. I know some people wistfully hoped for them to finally do something with the datamined mode where you have to push a ball, but frankly I get the sense that it was scrapped because it just wasn't any fun. In practice it sounds like Rainmaker but with more traction.

I suspect that when the next Splatoon rolls around (which might be in development for the next Switch console right now), it'll be a bit of a ground-up reinvention and possibly even buff things up to 5v5. It wouldn't surprise me if right now the series is somewhat held back by hardware more than anything, but they clearly want the Splatoon ecosystem to continue to grow before the next generation comes around, so we got 3 with the intention of holding the pattern and polishing it up into the best version of itself as it exists right now. Even the story mode was billed as a finale of the saga.

Last edited:
With the way Splatoon currently exists (4v4 and still inheriting the base mechanics that have existed since 1) I think they've more or less hit a proverbial ceiling in regards to modes they can add into Anarchy rotation. I know some people wistfully hoped for them to finally do something with the datamined mode where you have to push a ball, but frankly I get the sense that it was scrapped because it just wasn't any fun. In practice it sounds like Rainmaker but with more traction.

I suspect that when the next Splatoon rolls around (which might be in development for the next Switch console right now), it'll be a bit of a ground-up reinvention and possibly even buff things up to 5v5. It wouldn't surprise me if right now the series is somewhat held back by hardware more than anything, but they clearly want the Splatoon ecosystem to continue to grow before the next generation comes around, so we got 3 with the intention of holding the pattern and polishing it up into the best version of itself as it exists right now. Even the story mode was billed as a finale of the saga.
I do agree that hardware limitations are likely a part of things, but honestly I think most of it comes down to Nintendo's own lack of ambition and/or their stubbornness towards changing the core formula of Splatoon. So many other multiplayer games offer ideas that Nintendo could use to change the series or add to it, but Nintendo doesn't want to implement any of them because they don't want to change the whole "we choose how you play, when you play, and for how long," thing that started on the Wii U.

For reference about the active playerbase rn... 2.5 million people played in the last Big Run. That means a good 20% of the playerbase is in the top rank of the game

Ranked system failure much?

Either they absolutely fucked up how the ranking system works or our active player numbers are way off.

(Likely it's a bit of both)

For reference about the active playerbase rn... 2.5 million people played in the last Big Run. That means a good 20% of the playerbase is in the top rank of the game

It's by design. The ranks themselves are intended to be relatively skill agnostic to focus on rewarding as many players as possible rather than feeling exclusionary now that there's another rotation locked behind X.

And I wouldn't compare a weekend event to a whole season for an estimate of the playerbase, there should be a pretty significant difference between the two.

I don't think using a two day event of a side mode to estimate how many people are playing the ranked chunk of game makes much. My guess would be you're probably underestimating how many are playing enough within the 3 month chunk to reach X rank by at least half.

It's also not the top ranked mode now; that's the higher tiers of S+. X ranked mode is deliberately a different mode with different rules. I'm sure the numbers who even reach S+10 let alone further are much smaller. Like, I was top 30kish in the X ranks last season and I've not gotten anywhere close to S+10 let alone further.

Where does the 2.5m figure come from?

nvm found it

Last edited:
It's MAR13 day!!
5f109b2e92fb8.gif

I swear I normally don't squidbag people but these chargers were kicking my ass for several matches in a row and my "revenge" was so ridiculous and silly, I couldn't help myself

I often do the same, I hate chargers/splatlings in that spot :p
I also like to throw the special under the bridge in Eeltail Alley.

I was going to complain about how Horrorboros wasn't made for regular SR stages and it was actually harder than Cohozuna and BAM! Finally defeated one, got a gold scale and the 10x badge :p

I absolutely LOVE the songs and performances. Has anyone figured out the squid language? I used to think they sang in Japanese and then converted it to gibberish using PC/software :p

Salmon Run protip: If you have inkjet, try to launch from the top of a fish stick if there is one. Not only does it give you a good vantage point, but it's pretty much the safest landing point when the timer runs out.

Okay but where are the new music tracks for real. I feel like we had double the number of tracks in Splatoon 2 at this point.

Came just to post this right now, lol. Is this actually the first time we see Shiver and Frye's VAs? Where is Big Man, though.

Also I want to steal Alice's hair color, damn 😍

The obvious conclusion from them hiding big man is that he's real and the squidpocalypse has already started, but Nintendo is trying to keep it a secret.

A 5 hour maintenance isn't nothing... I wonder if there's gonna be any improvements that are actually noticeable outside the backend

Wow I can't believe they're using those 5 hours to remove Marooner's Bay and Spawning Grounds and replacing them with Salmonid Smokeyard and Ark Polaris

Anybody else get a Splatoon 3 survey this week?

Not the usual standard survey, but a specific one including questions about how often you used the game, why you might have stopped playing as regularly, and what you hope to see in future.

Server maintenances are almost always way more boring than people imagine. They're probably just updating some software or replacing a small amount of hardware, it's pretty unlikely to do anything that end users can notice directly.
#sad

Anybody else get a Splatoon 3 survey this week?

Not the usual standard survey, but a specific one including questions about how often you used the game, why you might have stopped playing as regularly, and what you hope to see in future.
No survey here. I remain hopeful they will keep improving the game, so it's cool that they are asking for feedback.

About the maintenance:

I have noticed some issues the last few days that are common across a lot of matches. Things like desynced match starts, weird lag issues from people who I know have perfect internet, and other minor connection related issues. I've had a few others corroborate this too, I know it's not me or my internet.

Maybe they're fixing whatever is causing that?

About the maintenance:

I have noticed some issues the last few days that are common across a lot of matches. Things like desynced match starts, weird lag issues from people who I know have perfect internet, and other minor connection related issues. I've had a few others corroborate this too, I know it's not me or my internet.

Maybe they're fixing whatever is causing that?
Yeah I've seen that, especially the desyncs at the start and some weird laggy movements. Also playing Brella has been feeling even worse than usual but not sure if that's related or just on my end

Also, a lot of errors in the middle of matches lately, of those that don't leave trace/record (no lost/tie) but still consume your drink or ticket and sometimes even get you banned for a bit.

Last night there was a SR wave where I couldn't even collect eggs despite no disconnected players.

This video might be what you’re looking for

Thank you so much for that link. Really interesting and cool video. I freaking love Splatoon music and vocals, so lots of feelings were evoked while watching it.
I still watch/listen the concerts regularly and I can't freaking wait for Pearl and Marina to return in the DLC with new music 🩷🩶

In a basically infinite universe, aliens are certainly real in some form. And you can also say taht we are aliens, so either way, that is the actual 'correct' answer here.
So, probably Frye Time.
But I am partial to Green

Statistically, Aliens exist somewhere, but when it comes to the chance of ever even detecting the slightest bit of evidence that they exist, you're more likely to find evidence for Nessie or Bigfoot, despite them just being folklore, let alone actually encounter then.

I feel like Aliens is a way more broad option than the other two, so I am inclined to pick that one myself.

If they asked which of the three I like more I'd have picked Nessie. XD

Well, the answer is obviously big foot because there are plenty of things with big feet! #Bigmansweep /s

Probably going Nessie for the earthbound clout though.

Back
Top Bottom