• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Happy Side Order release day! Had to dress up for the occasion ;)

20240221_091231.jpg
Doesn't it release at like 2 AM here in Europe?

That is the same day if you're irresponsible enough with your sleep schedule ; )

New song by the new band, Riot Act:

This band is a separate project by C-Side guitarist Kiki, and this particular song features violin by Finn Feeder from Bottom Feeder! Really cool to see these bits of crossover with the bands.

That is the same day if you're irresponsible enough with your sleep schedule ; )
;)

This band is a separate project by C-Side guitarist Kiki, and this particular song features violin by Finn Feeder from Bottom Feeder! Really cool to see these bits of crossover with the bands.

This is so fire actually. If there's one thing new seasons never fail to deliver on quality-wise, it's the music

;)

This is so fire actually. If there's one thing new seasons never fail to deliver on quality-wise, it's the music
Yeah, I think Splatoon music in general barely misses. It's really exciting going into Side Order knowing so little about the music, too - for Octo Expansion we've heard Nasty Majesty from early on but here we've gotten super little so far.

I am excited to try the DLC but not nearly as excited as I wanna be.

Splatoon 3 has just been such a huge bummer in the franchise for me and is easily the worst of them. The bad balancing in both weapons and specials and stages is just really frustrating.
Splatoon 1 had a lot of VERY unbalaned things but it made up for it in how much fun the overall game was. Even just ignoring the 'hallway design' in stages, the Splatoon 1 stages just felt like they had so much more life. So many more unique gemoetry and stuff. Splatoon 3 stages just feels so samey and it's just square boxes everywhere and the only real gimmicks we get seems to be ones that already existed on Splatoon 1 Stages.

I dunno, the game is still very fun, a lot of the time, but compared to 1 and 2, it just feels the most chaotic mess of them all.

Splatoon 3 has just been such a huge bummer in the franchise for me and is easily the worst of them. The bad balancing in both weapons and specials and stages is just really frustrating.
Splatoon 1 had a lot of VERY unbalaned things but it made up for it in how much fun the overall game was. Even just ignoring the 'hallway design' in stages, the Splatoon 1 stages just felt like they had so much more life. So many more unique gemoetry and stuff. Splatoon 3 stages just feels so samey and it's just square boxes everywhere and the only real gimmicks we get seems to be ones that already existed on Splatoon 1 Stages.

I dunno, the game is still very fun, a lot of the time, but compared to 1 and 2, it just feels the most chaotic mess of them all.
The game itself has a lot of missed potential, however I feel like when Nintendo sets up a team and tells them "make a banger paid DLC experience for this game", they rarely miss

Is the leftmost bandmember a dolphin?? Also, at first I read the song title as 'No plan to survive', which would have suited my gameplay style very well

The game itself has a lot of missed potential, however I feel like when Nintendo sets up a team and tells them "make a banger paid DLC experience for this game", they rarely miss
Octo Expansion was amazing, I have no doubt that Side Order will also be great, and I AM excited for it, but I dunno, the main game is so frustrating that it just dampers my excitement in general a bit.
I will no doubt play the DLC loads. But yeah

This. Also, both Octo Expansion and Splat 3 normal campaign were outstanding. On top of that, they seem to have taken their sweet time with this one which makes me even more excited.

I’m not sure I agree with this for every Nintendo DLC expansion, but the Splatoon and Xenoblade teams for sure know how to nail DLC campaigns.

splatoon 3 is like mario odyssey: great movement but nowhere fun to move

splatoon 3 is like mario odyssey: great movement but nowhere fun to move
I love Odyssey and don't think I have nearly the same problem with it, as with Splatoon 3, but I do get how you mean, haha.
(just make me Sunshine 2, Nintendo, please)

Splatoon 3 is ultimately fun, I play it a lot for a reason, and I am sure it is partially nostalgia talking (hard to avoid that), but I do miss Splatoon 1 a lot. All it's stages felt so unique and fun, while now most stages blends together.
Splatoon 3 just feels weird, in the end. It has a great Story mode and the DLC is sure to be awesome, but I hope Splatoon 4 looks back more on the first two games.
... and deletes Chargers, long-ranged blasters, Carbon, and Triple Splashdown, please -w-

This. Also, both Octo Expansion and Splat 3 normal campaign were outstanding. On top of that, they seem to have taken their sweet time with this one which makes me even more excited.
Yeah, that's another point. It seems to have been delayed internally, possibly 3 times even, based on datamines.

Thinking about it more, Side Order likely spent about as much time in the oven as Splatoon 2's base game as a whole. That's pretty crazy.

Very hype for Side Order. Single player modes in Splatoon have always been an absolute treat, and I've been on a roguelite kick with Whisker Squadron and a couple others.

Will also attempt multiplayer again. I need to buy all of those new clothes I'm reading about 👀

Happy Side Order release day! Had to dress up for the occasion ;)

20240221_091231.jpg

I missed the window to get this shirt back then, so I'm extremely jelly right now.

I guess I do have the Team Callie shirt 🤔

yeah revoked sorry

the squiffer squad won't squand for squis
I just can't stand fighting Snipers in general -w- What gets me is how, I know the tells, I can see the sight line, but constantly getting splatted while I am clearly already behind cover, is awful.
I'd tolerate them much more if the online was just better in general.
Same problem I have with Blasters, once you get hit once, you are usually dead since the second shot will hit you no matter what.
As for Carbon, well, Ninja Squid exists, so... Carbon is actual satan.

I also kinda hate fighting the Stampers cuz the only times I DO meet them, it's someone who clearly is way above the level of the rest of the lobby, hah.

So what content is being added tomorrow and what content is being added on March 1st?
Going by precedent, tomorrow should be Side Order, ability to adjust more gear, balance patches, and March is all the weapons, gear, stages, multiplayer music, and catalog.

After playing two full rotations of Hydra on the weapon's best mode with favorable maps, I have no hope for its third kit. Doesn't matter what it gets, the worst possible thing or the best possible thing, no special or sub fixes the one-sided match-up against other backliners and how easily it folds to pressure.

I just can't stand fighting Snipers in general -w- What gets me is how, I know the tells, I can see the sight line, but constantly getting splatted while I am clearly already behind cover, is awful.
I'd tolerate them much more if the online was just better in general.
Yeah, the trick with chargers is to know where they are and think about how things look on their end. You kinda just have to accept that you have a half second less than you think you do to get behind cover (unless you happen to find yourself at a LAN tournament). It is what it is, but with practice they don't feel like total BS (though they are always threatening). If their laser is moving towards you, it's probably already too late no matter how close cover is.

To advance on them, you need to stay hidden (ninja squid/move slow or get behind something) as far up as you can, then either move in further when you know they're charging (again, account for lag when determining how much time you have to get behind cover) or key in on when they're not looking at you (very effective against scopes, their field of view is tiny whenever the laser is visible).

At a high enough level, you do need to play the entire match with the sniper's presence in mind, which can be difficult. But I find they're not overwhelming unless they're well above everyone else... which is true of lots of weapons.

As for Carbon, well, Ninja Squid exists, so... Carbon is actual satan.
Carbons amuse me as a main of a weapon that runs point sensor. I spam them in matches against opponents with ninja squid, and so many of them just can't handle being visible lol.

Yeah, the trick with chargers is to know where they are and think about how things look on their end. You kinda just have to accept that you have a half second less than you think you do to get behind cover (unless you happen to find yourself at a LAN tournament). It is what it is, but with practice they don't feel like total BS (though they are always threatening). If their laser is moving towards you, it's probably already too late no matter how close cover is.

To advance on them, you need to stay hidden (ninja squid/move slow or get behind something) as far up as you can, then either move in further when you know they're charging (again, account for lag when determining how much time you have to get behind cover) or key in on when they're not looking at you (very effective against scopes, their field of view is tiny whenever the laser is visible).

At a high enough level, you do need to play the entire match with the sniper's presence in mind, which can be difficult. But I find they're not overwhelming unless they're well above everyone else... which is true of lots of weapons.

Carbons amuse me as a main of a weapon that runs point sensor. I spam them in matches against opponents with ninja squid, and so many of them just can't handle being visible lol.
All you say is true, and while I try to do most/all of those things, I just... truly hate fighting Snipers, haha. They just have such a dominant precense in any match. Especially e-Liter, which is my most hated opponent. Having to play completely differently cuz a one-shot weapon on the other side of the stage will destroy you, is just... not the most fun -w-
Being a Charger is fun, but fighting them is so weird to me.
I think it is extra frustrating in THIS game cuz of how many stages have little side-lanes to move through, and since I never use Ninja Squid (since I don't like it being a thing, same as Respawn Punisher), it always becomes a struggle.

Well, not ALWAYS, I have Splatooned for thousands of hours so I CAN deal with them enough, but they are easily the Weapon Class I struggle with the most.
... them and Blasters.

Oh and yeah, when I DO have Point Sensor, Carbon is way easier, they are very one-trick, but when I don't, then they are just evil gremlins in the corners

This is something I had to learn as well, and learned late because it's not immediately obvious how the game being third person conveys an inaccurate sense of sightlines, or rather misleads you into assuming your line of sight matches your opponent's line of fire. As you said, lag still plays a part, but about half the cases of getting killed through cover which I attributed to lag were probably just me not actually being in cover.

Watching replays of myself from the other team's POV is what helped me get a few wrong ideas out of my head about where it was and wasn't safe to stand.

All you say is true, and while I try to do most/all of those things, I just... truly hate fighting Snipers, haha. They just have such a dominant precense in any match. Especially e-Liter, which is my most hated opponent. Having to play completely differently cuz a one-shot weapon on the other side of the stage will destroy you, is just... not the most fun -w-
Being a Charger is fun, but fighting them is so weird to me.
I think it is extra frustrating in THIS game cuz of how many stages have little side-lanes to move through, and since I never use Ninja Squid (since I don't like it being a thing, same as Respawn Punisher), it always becomes a struggle.

Well, not ALWAYS, I have Splatooned for thousands of hours so I CAN deal with them enough, but they are easily the Weapon Class I struggle with the most.
... them and Blasters.

Oh and yeah, when I DO have Point Sensor, Carbon is way easier, they are very one-trick, but when I don't, then they are just evil gremlins in the corners
Yeah, this is kind of why I fell off of playing Smash Ultimate online. A lot of popular characters I found just weren't fun to fight against, even if I was figuring out how to deal with them properly. Sometimes you just have your playstyle, and something else in the game ruins that. I understand that feeling.

Similarly, I'd probably rank higher in Splatoon if I didn't stubbornly insist on bringing the Squiffer everywhere and anywhere; there are definitely maps where I feel like I'm at a disadvantage nearly everywhere (looking primarily at Manta Maria, but Sturgeon Shipyard can be tough too; Piranha Pit was awful for me in the S1 days). But I have far more fun playing it than any other weapon, so I just make do. It is what it is.

Yeah, this is kind of why I fell off of playing Smash Ultimate online. A lot of popular characters I found just weren't fun to fight against, even if I was figuring out how to deal with them properly. Sometimes you just have your playstyle, and something else in the game ruins that. I understand that feeling.

Similarly, I'd probably rank higher in Splatoon if I didn't stubbornly insist on bringing the Squiffer everywhere and anywhere; there are definitely maps where I feel like I'm at a disadvantage nearly everywhere (looking primarily at Manta Maria, but Sturgeon Shipyard can be tough too; Piranha Pit was awful for me in the S1 days). But I have far more fun playing it than any other weapon, so I just make do. It is what it is.
Yeah, very fair, haha. I barely played Ultimate online. I just know most I would face would be the most frustrating parts.

Luckily, I don't mind Squiffer much. That Sniper I am fine with. It is mostly the regular Charger and the e-Liter that bugs me cuz of their long range. At least with Squiffer, I generally see the person trying to kill me, instead of being one-shot from a mile away XD
Oh you're making me miss Piranha Pit now. I love how it is shaped. We need more Stages like that. But yeah I can see why it would be awful for some snipers, haha.

Very lttp but the roller horizontal buff from a few seasons ago is a godsend. The weapon is finally fun to play again and somewhat capable

Squiffer is so fun but I rarely play it because I always get matched up against an E-Liter or a Hydra or something. I know E-Liter and Squiffer are both chargers, but it really feels like a crime that they're in the same matchmaking pool.

I'm not very good at the game. That's probably my issue. But will that stop me from complaining? Absolutely not.

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow! Bed time for me now and a checkup immediately in the morning though

EDIT: Be sure to pick up the Side Order icons on NSO!

Last edited:
Am I supposed to not be able to start the DLC yet? It says I haven't bought the expansion pack

Edit: went to the eShop page and it says to 'redownload" so I'll try that

Edit: I'm in! Let's ride the rails to Side Order!

GG6AothaYAAm7F7

Last edited:
Spoilery thoughts from an hour of playing:
  • Is this the first time we get Pearl's full name in actual English media?
  • I guess we finally get solid, clear canon confirmation of what weapon each character in the Splatoon universe mains. Splatoon 4 confirmed to be a hero shooter.
  • I can't not read it as the Memeverse.
  • I can't believe Marina is a keysmasher.

I can pull the sleeves up on my Zekko Hoodie now. Best patch, 10/10, no complaints.

...what the heck is a Side Order?

I can already see I'm gonna sink a lot of time into Side Order due to the "one more quick run before bed" effect.

There seems to be a LOT of content and replayability going on, too.

Back
Top Bottom