• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is honestly a miraculous string of getting matched up with players all on stable connections and no rage quit issues.

We are probably about to the point where people with unstable connections just drop the game. Happened with the previous two entries, too. Also players in higher ranks do usually have stabler connections going.

That said, that's not off based on my experience, and I actually remember the instances of other players disconnecting because they saved me from losing the A to S rank up battle in Series lol

Very cool to get screwed out of playing a game I paid for because of Nintendo's crap netcode and then I come here and get gaslit and blamed because I complain about it. It's a good thing posters here have intimate knowledge about the perfection of Nintendo-sama's Splatoon 3 netcode. It's certainly not been such a widespread problem that it almost immediately became a meme in every community forum about the game.

Very cool to get screwed out of playing a game I paid for because of Nintendo's crap netcode and then I come here and get gaslit and blamed because I complain about it. It's a good thing posters here have intimate knowledge about the perfection of Nintendo-sama's Splatoon 3 netcode. It's certainly not been such a widespread problem that it almost immediately became a meme in every community forum about the game.
yes this game stinks but if you suddenly can't get into a single match something changed on your end lol

yes this game stinks but if you suddenly can't get into a single match something changed on your end lol
Yeah what changed is the latest update broke the netcode. That is literally the event that changed SR from stable to completely broken for me. My internet is completely stable for literally any other game or usage.

Yeah what changed is the latest update broke the netcode. That is literally the event that changed SR from stable to completely broken for me. My internet is completely stable for literally any other game or usage.
that's wack

I wonder what specifically changed. Maybe a stricter latency requirement?

that's wack

I wonder what specifically changed. Maybe a stricter latency requirement?
Regular matches work fine from what I've seen. This is specifically a SR issue, and it's further obviously not an internet issue because it ALWAYS happens immediately when the map loads. In cases where I can actually play past the first second of the map loading, there are zero connection issues.

Hey folks. We've observed things getting a bit heated in here between this page, and the previous one. Let's please aim to bring down the temperature a tad, and remember to engage respectfully. It can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint the root cause of connectivity issues in an online game, but let's just try to acknowledge that experiences differ.

- Aurc, Harina, Josh5890

Regular matches work fine from what I've seen. This is specifically a SR issue, and it's further obviously not an internet issue because it ALWAYS happens immediately when the map loads. In cases where I can actually play past the first second of the map loading, there are zero connection issues.
they've said they're trying to tweak the egg teleportation issues, so I could totally see one of these measures being stricter disconnect criteria

no idea though

Being told that your experience isn't common isn't being gaslit; a game not working for you it's not the game being anticonsumer.

We have full datamines of what each update contains. 2.1.0 didn't really touch the netcode at all.

Is your copy digital or physical, out of curiosity?

My copy is digital. I'm also connected by LAN to the internet, not wi-fi.

To further clarify, I have had internet issues in the past, with a different setup. So I'm familiar with what it actually looks like in games when your internet is bad. I've also tried all the typical Switch troubleshooting ideas, like changing DNS, changing MTU, changing to fixed or dynamic IP, etc. I even did the stupid thing of deleting the game entirely and downloading it again. But it doesn't matter, because it's a problem on Nintendo's end, and they broke something in SR with the update. And from what I've read I'm not the only one with this issue.

Please don’t swipe at members like this, especially after staff have asked members to be more mindful going forward. - PixelKnight, Irene, Aurc
People being goofy when Nintendo got criticized for bad netcode

I wonder if something about Salmon Run specifically is causing issues. I'm not sure why the issue wouldn't appear sooner, but in Splatoon 2, some lower-end connections would sometimes struggle and disconnect if a lot of things were going on in Salmon Run. Maybe a lot of data needs to be sent about the Salmonid spawns and stuff and something goes wrong because of the large packet size.

I'd still wager it's a user-side issue but it might be more complicated than just "your internet sucks"

I wonder if something about Salmon Run specifically is causing issues. I'm not sure why the issue wouldn't appear sooner, but in Splatoon 2, some lower-end connections would sometimes struggle and disconnect if a lot of things were going on in Salmon Run. Maybe a lot of data needs to be sent about the Salmonid spawns and stuff and something goes wrong because of the large packet size.

I'd still wager it's a user-side issue but it might be more complicated than just "your internet sucks"

With the new info we have, What throws me off is being salmon run specific and only at the start of the match, and only sometimes, basically. That discards it being too much network activity during matches, or the golden egg grabbing code being fucked.

I haven't gone through the entire netcode of the game, but I've read about it enough to have an idea of how it works. It's either not actually network related (I was thinking it could be data corruption that crashed something when trying to load salmon run stuff), or something specific happening during the salmon run initialization phase. (Some port used specifically by salmon run being blocked, some weird geo block happening since salmon run is less cagey about matching you with people outside your region). Or even something depending on if you randomly get assigned "host" for the match (Splatoon doesn't use a traditional host+clients model but there's still a player that handles some of the match data).

There's also the spicy alternative of "it's not Nintendo or user error but your ISP having fucked up something", which is more common than it should.

But honestly, every time this happens and i try to help anyone figure things out just in case it ends like this, so you know, maybe i should just stop and let people that can't play for likely fixable reasons, not play.

During the Splatoon 1/Wii U era, my ISP changed some settings that blocked Nintendo online play specifically (including 3DS games) and only at my home area. I couldn't play for a couple of months (no Splatoon, no Smash, no Mario Kart, etc.) We had the same ISP plan at work and my consoles worked/played fine there.
I actually had to contact Nintendo to ask for some network data that my ISP needed to investigate what was the issue. It was a lot of back-and-forth. In the end, they had to "reroute" my area network to another node in a different state or something along those lines. I remember they actually sent several tech guys to check if everything was OK on my end, one of them told how once they changed some configuration and Call of Duty became unplayable (lots of angry gamers called :p).

Anyways, what are you guys voting for? I'm team white chocolate, and I know we won't win, but I truly don't like most chocolate.
I'm pretty sure milk chocolate will be the most popular, and that will give it a huge advantage in two of the categories.

During the Splatoon 1/Wii U era, my ISP changed some settings that blocked Nintendo online play specifically (including 3DS games) and only at my home area. I couldn't play for a couple of months (no Splatoon, no Smash, no Mario Kart, etc.) We had the same ISP plan at work and my consoles worked/played fine there.
I actually had to contact Nintendo to ask for some network data that my ISP needed to investigate what was the issue. It was a lot of back-and-forth. In the end, they had to "reroute" my area network to another node in a different state or something along those lines. I remember they actually sent several tech guys to check if everything was OK on my end, one of them told how once they changed some configuration and Call of Duty became unplayable (lots of angry gamers called :p).

When Mario Kart DS came out for some reason I couldn't play it. My DS wouldn't even see the WiFi network on my router. So I called Nintendo about it. Apparently they had had a couple more calls about the same issue, and just told me to call my ISP for a fix.

The tl;dr is that my ISP had customized their routers' firmware with some spicy power saving features that made some devices not see the networks at all. They had one without those features available for people that needed it, pointed me to it, it was all fixed. A couple days later Nintendo Iberica just added this information to their troubleshooting page for anyone still having it.

The point is that as the mod post says, networking is very complicated. A random tech changing a setting somewhere on accident, miles away from you, might suddenly fuck with your internet. If I say "the problem is on your side" I'm not making a judge of character, telling you you fucked up, that you're lying, or that it's your fault. I'm stating that evidence points to the problem not being Nintendo's, and that getting it fixed might involve something else. Like yelling at someone else, reviewing your network setup, etc.

If I sound jaded about this is because I've been at it for years, lol. All I want is people to be able to play without issues, and sometimes that's easily achievable. There's a lot to say about Nintendo's online setup being shoddy as hell, mind you, and I'm not gonna defend that at all. But also, using it as a blanket excuse doesn't actually either fix your issues, or contribute anything. It in fact risks poisoning the well and make people with fixable issues just not do it.

Anyways, what are you guys voting for? I'm team white chocolate, and I know we won't win, but I truly don't like most chocolate.
I'm pretty sure milk chocolate will be the most popular, and that will give it a huge advantage in two of the categories.

Dark chocolate. I'm not gonna start the "white chocolate is delicious and valid but it's technically not chocolate" debate today too lol

I'm playing whatever my friends are playing as I have to pay up for dragging them into my picks in the past. It looks like I'm either going to be Team Dark Choco (ew) or Team White Choco (meh).

Why is dark chocolate purple?

Not that I mind, mind you, but I have so many questions.
I'd have chosen red, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have enough contrasts against brown and red/brown/white would be too much for the Splatoon fanbase 🙃

For the new page:

5ixoLpB.png

:p

Pop Quiz: You have wiped out the enemy team in a very close defensive match in Tower Control with the tower only 10 points away from winning. Do you

A. Get someone on the tower so it moves away from the point
B. Destroy the two Squid Beacons that are shown to be in our half of the map
C. Super Jump back to spawn, ink the base, and not get back near the tower until you see the words "They are on the tower"?

If you picked C, congrats, you picked the same answer as my team did. Unsurprisingly, we lost. It sure is a mystery why a team that refused to touch the tower as if it's made of poison lost tower control. If only there was some glaring obvious point to touch to make sure the tower would at least start giving us special build-up. Oh well.

I just want to do my goddamned dailies. Is that so much to ask for? Is that too much for me to have? Am I not allowed to have fucking anything?

See, I'd test this with my game...but if I get in then I'm stuck playing Salmon Run.

I just want to do my goddamned dailies. Is that so much to ask for? Is that too much for me to have? Am I not allowed to have fucking anything?

why are you still trying? call your ISP, call Nintendo, or sell the game on eBay or whatever. I strongly recommend that for your own sake you stop banging your head against this wall

I like how Nintendo added Squid Roll so the casual players don't learn about the REAL best movement technique...

sub strafing ;)

(genuinely more versatile and applicable than squid roll when mastered)

Last edited:
I like how Nintendo added Squid Roll so the casual players don't learn about the REAL best movement technique...

sub strafing ;)

Video(s) plz!

I've never been able to do it properly, me thinks.

sub strafing ;)

I've heard this mentioned all over the place and i still don't know what this is.

But also i forget squid roll exists 90% of the time so I might just be bad at the game 🤔

Video(s) plz!

I've never been able to do it properly, me thinks.

I've heard this mentioned all over the place and i still don't know what this is.

But also i forget squid roll exists 90% of the time so I might just be bad at the game 🤔

Basically, if you hold the R (sub weapon) button, and then go into swim form, you will be swimming at full speed instantly. This lets you do super quick, unpredictable movements that are way less committal than squid roll and help your movement loads.

In this clip you see me utilize it twice. Once behind the pillow/barrier obstacle, and once right before fighting the last 2 players. See how I plop out of the ink, and I instantly start moving in the other direction. It's basically like a little wavedash if used right.

If you'd like to learn it, I recommend messing around with it in the lobby and then bringing it into Salmon Run. Pick up an egg, and instantly sub strafe back in the direction of the basket instead of Squid Rolling. That's how I learned it! (albeit in Splatoon 2, before squid rolls)

Basically, if you hold the R (sub weapon) button, and then go into swim form, you will be swimming at full speed instantly. This lets you do super quick, unpredictable movements that are way less committal than squid roll and help your movement loads.

In this clip you see me utilize it twice. Once behind the pillow/barrier obstacle, and once right before fighting the last 2 players. See how I plop out of the ink, and I instantly start moving in the other direction. It's basically like a little wavedash if used right.

If you'd like to learn it, I recommend messing around with it in the lobby and then bringing it into Salmon Run. Pick up an egg, and instantly sub strafe back in the direction of the basket instead of Squid Rolling. That's how I learned it! (albeit in Splatoon 2, before squid rolls)

OH SO THAT'S WHAT THE CARBON ROLLER DECO PLAYER THAT DESTROYED MY ENTIRE TEAM IN SERIES YESTERDAY WAS DOING!!

I was so confused as to how they were moving sideways then splatting us during the entire match, and it's very likely entirely this.

I might practice it later, though I wonder how useful this even is for the sloshing machine 🤔

Splatoon 4 will only contain shooters you heard it here first

For real tho, just had a ranked open match with me as the only non shooter

Sorry to spill over from the direct thread but

Are we ready to see what's in store for Fresh Season 2023 this week?
I wasn't joking in the Direct thread, I don't want to know anything about 3.0 until after the Splatfest

maybe I should go dark and ask my friends who play not to tell me anything lol

I wasn't joking in the Direct thread, I don't want to know anything about 3.0 until after the Splatfest

maybe I should go dark and ask my friends who play not to tell me anything lol
You WILL learn about it. You have no choice, you'll be excited for the new things and you'll be extremely bored during splatfest because it still sucks.

Good luck.

y'know what? challenge accepted. I'm gonna try to go dark for once

edit: heh, go dark

It's not really possible if you're actively playing and there's anything really surprising beyond the expected weapons and couple of stages as well as league battle, because the plaza splatverse posts will inevitably be about the announcements if they have anything big.

I don't think we see the DLC yet though beyond maybe a small tease, it likely won't be in the next 3 months. I'm expecting it to release about a year after the games release date, similar to octo expansion (well, that was 11 months, but close enough)

This is my post from another forum but...

So did some research, from the January 2018 IR:

rfm5Ib2.png

In about 5 months, Splatoon 2 sold around 4.5M copies. In 4 months (a month less), Splatoon 3 has sold nearly double that. That is damn impressive considering most Nintendo sequels on the same console sell less, not more. Unless sales drop off a cliff, Splatoon 3 will surpass Splatoon 2's sales.

The power of Big Man is frightening.

You WILL learn about it. You have no choice, you'll be excited for the new things and you'll be extremely bored during splatfest because it still sucks.

Good luck.
Splatfest ain't gonna suck. At least the Sunday is not, because tricolour.

Aa for next season, I'm hoping for a maze-like stage, like Splatoon 1 port mackerel. It would be nice to have a stage where short-range weapons can shine

I'm honestly not expecting to hear about the Large Scale Paid DLC Expansion ™️ yet. It feels a bit too soon, unless they plan to do multiple waves of it.

I'm honestly not expecting to hear about the Large Scale Paid DLC Expansion ™️ yet. It feels a bit too soon, unless they plan to do multiple waves of it.
I'm not expecting it either, but

While I'm not a massive conspiracy theorist, Nate did like a reply tweet about the Splatoon 3 paid DLC, which makes the chance a tad higher for me

Back
Top Bottom