• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am so sick of internet sweats ruining my time with this game. I wanted to play a real weapon so I got into chargers, now I find out chargers are broken because the stage design sucks. I got into Tower Control, then I saw a poll on Twitter that said Tower Control was far and away the worst mode, it's broken, and chargers have it too fucking easy on it. Okay, so I try a few other modes, get destroyed in Rainmaker twice (like, literally 45 second rounds), and get into Splat Zones. Zones is pretty much all I play until I hit 420p (lol, lmao) and decide not to play ranked until next season, and now I wake up and it's the worst mode, broken, and makes the meta worse.

Can you people who are good at the game please calm the fuck down?

I am so sick of internet sweats ruining my time with this game. I wanted to play a real weapon so I got into chargers, now I find out chargers are broken because the stage design sucks. I got into Tower Control, then I saw a poll on Twitter that said Tower Control was far and away the worst mode, it's broken, and chargers have it too fucking easy on it. Okay, so I try a few other modes, get destroyed in Rainmaker twice (like, literally 45 second rounds), and get into Splat Zones. Zones is pretty much all I play until I hit 420p (lol, lmao) and decide not to play ranked until next season, and now I wake up and it's the worst mode, broken, and makes the meta worse.

If you don't like it, just ignore it. 8 million people bought the game, there's bound to be some who dislike this or that. As long as you enjoy it, there's no problem. You're simply using and enjoying a product you bought, nothing wrong with that. Criticism is not directed towards those that play and enjoy it, it's directed towards Nintendo to try and improve such that more can enjoy it. (and to vent for me tbh)

On the contrary, I'd even encourage you to give less f*cks about what people think online. Just have fun with the game; that's what it's made for. Whether you have fun by sniping people from a point with overview over the entire map, or by spamming missiles, go for it! Nintendo designed it that way. As long as the game allows you to exploit it, then why not. Others have the freedom to do the same, so no problem there.

Whoever decided it's okay for 3+ Big Shots to spawn needs to be banned from game design. Like I can blow both of my Ink Jets on them and it's not enough to kill them all, it's fucking absurd. Their hit points need to be cut in half, at least.

You're not supposed to be able to kill everything easily with each special. Ink jet is made to wreck things like Steelheads, Flyfish easily because the shots count as bombs. It's entirely deliberate that it can't also take out bigshots without a sweat. Someone with a good shooter or similar high damage/ rapid fire weapon that exists in most rounds should be the one on bigshot duty.

You're not supposed to be able to kill everything easily with each special. Ink jet is made to wreck things like Steelheads, Flyfish easily because the shots count as bombs. It's entirely deliberate that it can't also take out bigshots without a sweat. Someone with a good shooter or similar high damage/ rapid fire weapon that exists in most rounds should be the one on bigshot duty.
There's literally no special which can take out 3 Big Shots, they simply have too much hp for something that spends ALL it's time on the shore and wanders in and out

Keep in mind, this is purely about top level Splatoon. Most of what is said about high level competitive play doesn't apply or barely applies to casual Splatoon and solo play. Almost all issues boil down to the maps too, not the modes. Nothing changed about Zones between S2 and S3 besides the maps, which everyone agrees are the biggest problem.

Second one is probably one of the most dominant Range Blaster games I've played. Also, why is Hammerhead always in the rotation when I play

RDHD-HAWA-AP9D-WQBQ

I agree with this.

Yep, I think 90% of the problems with the meta currently are caused or made worse by the maps. Eliter being unfightable on certain stages, stages being so small or chokey it's easy to target everyone with missiles, needing ninja squid to get in because everything is chokey and easy to watch, LDE being strong because you can spam out chokepoints with bombs, and stage design making it impossible to get around crab tanks

There's literally no special which can take out 3 Big Shots, they simply have too much hp for something that spends ALL it's time on the shore and wanders in and out

Yes, which is why I said a shooter or other high damage weapon should be dealing with them, not a special. They're not supposed to be a magic delete button on all threats.

They have high hp specifically because that's all they do. A big shot has no way to defend itself, no attacks to use on someone trying to splat it, it won't get nerfed in terms of hp in any way, certainly not something as insane as cutting the hp in half.

Could anyone explain the current lobby post tend to me? Where did he come from?

Just ignore discourse. I occasionally run into these problems at S+8, it really is about organized teams/tournaments as @Lucyfer says.

The Internet hates clam blitz in solo queue but I kinda love it.

Could anyone explain the current lobby post tend to me? Where did he come from?
Some unknown player drew it and somehow it became a meme. It's a Splatoon original

I've drawn a bunch of nonsense like it but none of it ever caught on :(

Almost done with island #3 in the campaign and the kid gloves are coming off for some of the alternate weapons. Good gravy did they ramp up the difficulty quickly 😩

So I finally got a good wifi to play Splatoon and I've run into a consistent problem. During online matches, my right joycon will just...stop. It disconnects and I have to rapidly mash the button to get in to connect again. Is this a problem known to others and is there a solution? I've tried this with 2 other joycons with similar results. Sudden disconnection of the right joycon only during only matches.

Yes, which is why I said a shooter or other high damage weapon should be dealing with them, not a special. They're not supposed to be a magic delete button on all threats.

They have high hp specifically because that's all they do. A big shot has no way to defend itself, no attacks to use on someone trying to splat it, it won't get nerfed in terms of hp in any way, certainly not something as insane as cutting the hp in half.
Damn they could have fooled me with how many squids end up dead every time they try to kill the Big Shots. It's almost like being right next to the shore makes you a massive target for all lessers and other bosses despite Big Shots being "defenseless."
There's a reason you can kill Stingers in 1-3 seconds with most weapons despite them similarly having no defense against close-range attackers, and that's because the designers knew that placing an enemy always on the shore was already a massive buff to defense and longevity because of how much of a pain it is to kill them. Apparently they entirely forgot about this reasoning for Next Wave or just tossed it out and said "haha wouldn't it be funny to make a boss which has 10x more HP than a Stinger and is also 4x more deadly, who gives a fuck about game balance."
I bet a booyah bomb could take out three bog shots of you time it right
It can't. Booyah Bombs do about 300 damage max, Big Shots have like 1000 fucking hp.

For Alterna (Story Mode), I find it amusing that for the third island, there is a branching path to island 4 and island 5. Island 5 can go to island 6 so you would think you can skip an island, but it's an illusion of choice because you still need to go to island 4 since that's where one of the bosses is located.

Thank you for reading.

Cmon Nintendo, stop teasing us and show us the Tentatek Splattershot kit!

As long as it's not the same kit as this parody 😅

I find it myself easier to handle compared to 2 and I think it's for all the reasons splatoon 3 design is criticized at the moment, more than the 8 clams requirement.

To be honest, of all the little changes, I dislike them rolling all the ranked mode ranks in to 1 overall the most. Much as I whine like a toddler about it, I'd actually like to play clam blitz once in a while, but my S rank positioning is a slow climb at the best of times, and I'm not good at clam blitz, and probably will never be in 3 as a result, because it Torpedos it whenever I try it.

I'd love an unranked rotation of the ranked modes
League Battles are the closest we've gotten to this (outside of straight up private battles). You're given a rating based on your performance in that rotation, and it has no bearing on anything going forward. Unfortunately you need at least one friend and we don't even know when the mode is coming... but at least it is?

and we don't even know when the mode is coming... but at least it is?
Dataminers found out that league mode is automatically unlocked if you force the game to 3.0.0
Similar to how Rank X, Big Run and "Scenario Mode" for SR would unlock at 2.0.0

(of course stuff can be delayed, but internally this seems to be set for Spring)

Has it been taking anyone else 3 tries to find a match consistently lately? I get either "not enough players" or a comm error 2/3 times

I agree with this.

This narrative is frankly ridiculous if you actually look at the maps. But it's a narrative so people will just keep repeating it and nodding along even as they play on maps that are majority not even remotely "corridors" (Museum, Scorch, Hagglefish, Mahi, Inkblot, Sturgeon, Mako, Wahoo).

This narrative is frankly ridiculous if you actually look at the maps. But it's a narrative so people will just keep repeating it and nodding along even as they play on maps that are majority not even remotely "corridors" (Museum, Scorch, Hagglefish, Mahi, Inkblot, Sturgeon, Mako, Wahoo).
It's not about corridors, it's about how many ways around it and how many chokepoints there are, which most of the maps you named do have problems with. The counterplay to a well placed crab is to not go in it's range due to the map design, which is sad

Quoted by: LiC
It's not about corridors, it's about how many ways around it and how many chokepoints there are, which most of the maps you named do have problems with.
Sendou's post said corridors. But even if you rephrase that as chokepoints, the only map in my list with a notable chokepoint is Hagglefish. and I wouldn't say Crab is all that good on it in most modes. The rest of them are pretty three-dimensional with good freedom of movement. Some maps it's easy to flank a Crab, some maps it isn't.

The counterplay to a well placed crab is to not go in it's range due to the map design, which is sad
Or kill it outright with Trizooka or a charger headshot, force it out with a displacement special, eat into its duration it with Ink Vac or Bubbler.

And yes I'm sure for any one of those things you can up with a counter-counterplay or tell me why it won't work in some situations, and you should realize that this is all just normal Splatoon gameplay. Sometimes someone can set up for special in a really strong place and you have to hide for a bit. Sometimes you can counter it but it makes you burn your own specials and takes up a lot of your own time like Ink Vac does. And sometimes you successfully counter it immediately and things swing in your favor. All of that is possible with Crab because it's not some meta-defining overpowered thing, it's just a good special.

Sendou's post said corridors. But even if you rephrase that as chokepoints, the only map in my list with a notable chokepoint is Hagglefish. and I wouldn't say Crab is all that good on it in most modes. The rest of them are pretty three-dimensional with good freedom of movement. Some maps it's easy to flank a Crab, some maps it isn't.

Or kill it outright with Trizooka or a charger headshot, force it out with a displacement special, eat into its duration it with Ink Vac or Bubbler.

And yes I'm sure for any one of those things you can up with a counter-counterplay or tell me why it won't work in some situations, and you should realize that this is all just normal Splatoon gameplay. Sometimes someone can set up for special in a really strong place and you have to hide for a bit. Sometimes you can counter it but it makes you burn your own specials and takes up a lot of your own time like Ink Vac does. And sometimes you successfully counter it immediately and things swing in your favor. All of that is possible with Crab because it's not some meta-defining overpowered thing, it's just a good special.

Look at the weapon compositions in top level JP tournaments and tell me crab tank isn't meta defining with a straight face.

Quoted by: LiC
Look at the weapon compositions in top level JP tournaments and tell me crab tank isn't meta defining with a straight face.

Clearly it is defining the meta of these top-level JP tournaments for the span of about two weeks. Calling that "meta-defining" is a reach and the overreacting to it like people seem to want would be very bad. Other specials like Ink Vac and Trip Strike need to get stronger, but Crab doesn't need to get weaker.

Stuff like this happens with every Splatoon game. I can only hope the devs are smarter than the playerbase and don't think a screenshot of a bunch of Splash-o-matics in a match is something to base balancing decisions around.

Clearly it is defining the meta of these top-level JP tournaments for the span of about two weeks. Calling that "meta-defining" is a reach and the overreacting to it like people seem to want would be very bad. Other specials like Ink Vac and Trip Strike need to get stronger, but Crab doesn't need to get weaker.

Stuff like this happens with every Splatoon game. I can only hope the devs are smarter than the playerbase and don't think a screenshot of a bunch of Splash-o-matics in a match is something to base balancing decisions around.
Idk, when respected top players/analysts say crab is too strong (largely bc the maps) and people who put thousands of hours into the Splatoon series run triple crab, I can believe that there's a problem with the special and the maps. But you can have your opinion 👍

Clearly it is defining the meta of these top-level JP tournaments for the span of about two weeks. Calling that "meta-defining" is a reach and the overreacting to it like people seem to want would be very bad.

thats kinda what 'the meta' means tho isnt it? the most effective tactics available to use as defined by the games best players?

the rub is generally that "the meta" matters less the lower you are in skill rankings.

thats kinda what 'the meta' means tho isnt it? the most effective tactics available to use as defined by the games best players?

the rub is generally that "the meta" matters less the lower you are in skill rankings.
If "the meta" is only a certain region's tournaments for a couple of weeks, sure. Most tournaments' comps are much more diverse than this (there are high-level teams outside Japan, you know), and solo queue ranked matches aren't like this, and who knows if this would even be "the meta" in these specific tournaments in another two weeks' time (upcoming patch and new weapons notwithstanding).

Any hopes for the final kits anyone?
I hope we get Triple Inkstrike on the new Splattershot as a callback to the Wasabi Splattershot from Splatoon 1

If "the meta" is only a certain region's tournaments for a couple of weeks, sure. Most tournaments' comps are much more diverse than this (there are high-level teams outside Japan, you know), and solo queue ranked matches aren't like this, and who knows if this would even be "the meta" in these specific tournaments in another two weeks' time (upcoming patch and new weapons notwithstanding).
Western teams are very much running double crab, and SoloQ is full of splash o matics as well from my experience

yes, thats literally what 'the meta' means in this instance lol. metas evolve as games do, even without balance patches. super smash bros melee is an excellent example of that. balance patches force meta evolution too! thats nothin' new. its still 'the meta.' its really just defined by what the highest echelon of players think is the most effective way to win.

and ofc solo ranked queue will be different. the meta doesnt matter as much as you go down in the ranks and high level competitive play is something even beyond what a normal player who can get into S+ right now is likely to ever experience (other than maybe high end X battles once those are released)

that said it WILL have a trickle down effect to solo queue, especially in the upper fraction of the ranks. i only really started playing splat 3 ranked this past week and once i hit A, A+ and S I started seeing tons more crab tanks (and i made note of this before even looking at any sort of competitive meta so its not confirmation bias lol).

Back
Top Bottom