• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m just happy that we’ll finally have official titles for all of the battle music now. Being able to listen to Sheldon’s explanations again is also very nice.

Thank goodness you can purposefully rank down! I'm -400 points at the moment and it's demoralizing and clear I should be at a level lower in skill.

So with the patch notes out, it looks like I won't be investing alot of time in Jet Squelcher, Heavy, and Pro anytime soon. Of the new kits I plan on trying

Custom Jr. Kit; I like Wave Breaker as a special, I like support, and Torpedo looks great on it. Kit can chargers and attack ninja squid. I don't really play short range but the kit looks fun.

Forge Pro; Very skeptical that it won't get outshined by Sloshing Machine now that I have seen the Patch notes. I'll still try the kit out because maybe I am underestimating it.

Splattershot Nova, if the dps is lower than Pro than that worries me a bit given its kit. Hwoever, other aspects of the weapon might alleviate the weaker damage. Overall, its kit I am most interested in trying. I am cautiously optimistic.

What kits are you guys interested in?

I'm honestly pretty surprised the tentatek in 3 is basically a spiritual successor to the wasabi splattershot from 1.

As long as they buff tristrike I'll use that one a lot.
They didn't buff tristrike

But you know what? Screw it I'll use it regardless!

The Aerospray is so much fun in Salmon Run, great shift tonight. The 3 random players I started the shift with stayed a whole hour and we were good :D

So with the patch notes out, it looks like I won't be investing alot of time in Jet Squelcher, Heavy, and Pro anytime soon. Of the new kits I plan on trying

Custom Jr. Kit; I like Wave Breaker as a special, I like support, and Torpedo looks great on it. Kit can chargers and attack ninja squid. I don't really play short range but the kit looks fun.

Forge Pro; Very skeptical that it won't get outshined by Sloshing Machine now that I have seen the Patch notes. I'll still try the kit out because maybe I am underestimating it.

Splattershot Nova, if the dps is lower than Pro than that worries me a bit given its kit. Hwoever, other aspects of the weapon might alleviate the weaker damage. Overall, its kit I am most interested in trying. I am cautiously optimistic.

What kits are you guys interested in?
I haven't read the patch notes fully yet, I'm saving them for tomorrow cause I need something to do at work :p
But I'm really interested in the Jr. (anything that helps me locate the enemy easier is very welcome to me) and the Pro, despite already getting 5 stars with it (love Booyah! Bomb, tbh).

I'm really sad the Jet Squelcher got basically nothing :(

I wouldn't want eliter and chargers being nerfed now that they're usable by more than very good players.
Drastic changes to get them there but it had to be done.

Big Shot nerfs and Special buffs in SR are a welcome change. So annoying when you would throw an ink strike and it just clips through the boss into the water

I really don't think squid roll beating Reefslider was the special's real issue, it was actually a cool feature imo. I think what should have been fixed instead was the lack of paint and vulnerability to bombs, and if that was still not enough then either slightly decrease the endlag or slightly increase the explosion hitbox.

It's not a competition between divisions, it's just for your matchmaking. I know a lot of tryhards would love to be matched against Japanese players every time.

It's a little weird to split them for matchmaking purposes by (roughly) halves of the globe, you'd have thought timezones would mostly naturally take care of them in the first place. I suppose it's because they want it to be particularly low latency?

It's a little weird to split them for matchmaking purposes by (roughly) halves of the globe, you'd have thought timezones would mostly naturally take care of them in the first place. I suppose it's because they want it to be particularly low latency?
Usually matchmaking leans towards being ping-based, meaning you often won't even play against anyone who lives more than about 500-750km away from you. I'm assuming ping is removed from the equation here to allow for more accurate matchmaking, but they still want to let people pick vaguely which region they are.

It's not a competition between divisions, it's just for your matchmaking. I know a lot of tryhards would love to be matched against Japanese players every time.
If it's just region lock I don't see why they bothered materializing it. For the lore I guess lol
To be clear I was talking points wise for competing.

With the zipcaster buff and crab tank being unchanged, I'm becoming a Splatana Stamper main and rising up against the crab army

So I'm reading the patch notes and appreciate the splatana wiper buffs, but I have a question: Does our anarchy rank drop with the start of this new season? I see the section for voluntarily resetting and was wondering if there is a general reset taking place at the start of a new season.

So I'm reading the patch notes and appreciate the splatana wiper buffs, but I have a question: Does our anarchy rank drop with the start of this new season? I see the section for voluntarily resetting and was wondering if there is a general reset taking place at the start of a new season.

Everyone's rank will be dropping a little with every new season, yes. They're not resetting everybody to C but you can see how ranks change in the table on the wiki page, https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Rank#Ranks_in_Splatoon_3

Previous RankRank after Reset
C- to C+C-
B-C
BC+
B+B-
A-B
AB+
A+A-
SA
S+0 to S+9S
S+10 to S+50S+0

It's cool that Tricolor is just a separate mode/category instead of a catchup mechanic, but it's sad you can't 4-stack it on defense anymore.

When's the update playable in Europe? I think I read the game will be updated today and the new stuff unlocked tomorrow. Anyone know what time?
Seems like 33 hours from now for it to be playable
"On November 30th, 2022 at 4:00 PM PST, data relating to the Chill Season 2022 will be added to the game."
image.png

(I'm in CET)

And 10 hours from now for it to be downloadable

Last edited:
Couldn't they find something better than locker items as rewards for Big Run? :( It's not fair, Splatfest gets way better rewards than the real hype event mode

I wonder what exactly will be available before the season changes, since the update drops almost 24h before then. Balance changes will obviously go into effect, but what else? Will the recon photo mode be available for instance?

I wonder what exactly will be available before the season changes, since the update drops almost 24h before then. Balance changes will obviously go into effect, but what else? Will the recon photo mode be available for instance?
I assume the Undertow changes will be immediate

Wait, the changes and all new things will be available BEFORE the new season starts? I was planning to take a day off from the game to play some Pokeymans, but I guess that's not happening :p

Tricolor Battles changes feel like giving up on the design intention of the mode.

Not really? Because of the multiplier when the half time winning team is defending, those are still the most important matches that will effectively decide the mode.

The things they've changed were the bad things. Forcing (the defenders) people to play a mode they didn't necessarily want to was bad. Forcing one side of the equation to be fighting an uphill battle which was demonstrably not close to an equal win ratio was bad.

They only changed things that sucked. It's still not going to be great being the defenders but everything they've changed should improve the mode significantly. The only downer is not being able to do it with a team of 3 or 4 any more.

The only other option they could have had was to do even more radical changes to the mode to make it somehow so that the win ratio is roughly equal and that's very difficult to do with a mode they probably thought would have already been the case originally

Tricolor Battles changes feel like giving up on the design intention of the mode.

Cool to see Salmon Run scenarios arrive earlier than anticipated.

Nothing in the patch notes to make me reconsider my reduced playtime.
I suppose the Tricolor were a necessity and they probably will continue to improve the mode when more player and results data becomes available.

What made you reduce your playtime?

Not really? Because of the multiplier when the half time winning team is defending, those are still the most important matches that will effectively decide the mode.

The things they've changed were the bad things. Forcing (the defenders) people to play a mode they didn't necessarily want to was bad. Forcing one side of the equation to be fighting an uphill battle which was demonstrably not close to an equal win ratio was bad.

They only changed things that sucked. It's still not going to be great being the defenders but everything they've changed should improve the mode significantly. The only downer is not being able to do it with a team of 3 or 4 any more.

The only other option they could have had was to do even more radical changes to the mode to make it somehow so that the win ratio is roughly equal and that's very difficult to do with a mode they probably thought would have already been the case originally

No, map design alone gives you a huge range for handicapping or favoring defenders. The last Splatfest showed what a difference simply increasing the area of turf available to one side makes or, consequently, how much simply moving the sprinklers or tweaking their output would impact the average outcome of games. The mode has plently levers build into it to pull or push rather than fiddling with behind the scenes math.

The multiplier is the faintest of nods to Tricolor's role as comeback mechanic.

What made you reduce your playtime?

The low likelihood of landing in a fun match. If I saw matchmaking mentioned in the patch notes, I'd immediately jump back in. Even so I'll give X-rank a try to see if that maybe makes for an bigger share of close fought, balanced-ish matches.

Oof. Haven't picked up the game yet but I am not a fan of that tri-color change at all. Restating what's been here to a degree but: inability to queue as a 3/4 for defender will make defending much harder, and this change kind of ruins the "point" of halftime. Feels like a weird compromise / copout and gives up on the spirit of the mode which is surprising coming from the team that left unskippable intros in Splatoon 2 for its entire life lol.

Update from a while back: after getting practice in and readjusting my mindset, the game's been much better. I mained N-Zap since 2 but I decided to try out the Classic Squiffer due to enjoying snipers in SR, and it's officially become my secondary (the catharsis in splatting multiple in a row with it is way too good). Favorite mode overall is either Towers or Rainmaker, the mix of chaos and strategy is just right

I have a slight worry about X battles.

X battles are now Best of 5 (play until you win 3 or lose 3), but if it still uses the same power system, you could theoretically go 3-1 and still lose points.

If they make it so winning an X series always makes you go positive, it'd massively inflate the higher powers.

The only way I can see it working is where you pay a certain amount of X power at the start, and at the end you get back more or less power than you paid, just so it feels like you didn't go "negative".
(This would funnily enough be exactly like Anarchy Series, except with power differences calculated into gains and losses instead of a flat rate)

count me among those disappointed that the long-awaited change to tricolor was just minimizing it as much as possible

I have a slight worry about X battles.

X battles are now Best of 5 (play until you win 3 or lose 3), but if it still uses the same power system, you could theoretically go 3-1 and still lose points.

If they make it so winning an X series always makes you go positive, it'd massively inflate the higher powers.

The only way I can see it working is where you pay a certain amount of X power at the start, and at the end you get back more or less power than you paid, just so it feels like you didn't go "negative".
(This would funnily enough be exactly like Anarchy Series, except with power differences calculated into gains and losses instead of a flat rate)

This raises a good question: What is the point of doing X power adjustments after a set of matches instead of after each match? Unless X Power is seperate from the actual rating used for matchmaking, which would be repeating the mistake of Anarchy Series/Open...

Do we know if medals will contribute to X Power?

This raises a good question: What is the point of doing X power adjustments after a set of matches instead of after each match? Unless X Power is seperate from the actual rating used for matchmaking, which would be repeating the mistake of Anarchy Series/Open...

Do we know if medals will contribute to X Power?
We don't know any details besides what's officially mentioned, and I'm honestly worried. The only thing it'd help with is mindset, but I think going 3-1 and going negative would be more tilting than seeing -30 after losing a match outright

We don't know any details besides what's officially mentioned, and I'm honestly worried. The only thing it'd help with is mindset, but I think going 3-1 and going negative would be more tilting than seeing -30 after losing a match outright

Splatoon 2 was also helped by how up-front and immediate the system was. Maybe it was a little tilting if I saw at the start of the game that I was matched up against a team with significantly higher average rating, but then the point deduction after a loss was small and it didn't feel so bad.

Bunching three to five matches together just obfuscates the relationship between results and reward.

Honestly do we have any evidence that we're even getting online matchmaking for Tableturf battle beyond the stupid GX video that doesn't provide a source?

Yes, there's datamines confirming it (it's close to finished, not sure why it's not in this update) and I swear there was an official source saying it too
The closest thing to an official source I've been able to find is the GX video which doesn't provide a source

.....actually come to think of it, I feel like it's mentioned in the actual game somewhere

The closest thing to an official source I've been able to find is the GX video which doesn't provide a source

.....actually come to think of it, I feel like it's mentioned in the actual game somewhere
It's not the official source, but here's the datamines

there’s also currently-unused tableturf arcade cabinets in their own areas in both the regular and Shoal lobbies, which seems like pretty good supporting evidence

there’s also currently-unused tableturf arcade cabinets in their own areas in both the regular and Shoal lobbies, which seems like pretty good supporting evidence
I've definitely seen those, I wasn't sure though.
I just want online tableturf so badly so I can show off my deck skins!!

Yes, there's datamines confirming it (it's close to finished, not sure why it's not in this update) and I swear there was an official source saying it too

The only thing I would say is that being in datamines doesn't actually guarantee it comes out, there was datamined evidence of there being 2 additional ranked modes in development within splatoon 2, and at least one was far enough in development that it was sorta playable, albeit with requiring swapping some missing models in, see: https://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-2-dataminers-show-off-unreleased-ranked-mode-rocket/

There were originally videos of the other datamined mode too, was called 8 ball, but Nintendo went scorched earth on the dataminers footage of that one.

In any case, clearly neither mode materialised.

The only thing I would say is that being in datamines doesn't actually guarantee it comes out, there was datamined evidence of there being 2 additional ranked modes in development within splatoon 2, and at least one was far enough in development that it was sorta playable, albeit with requiring swapping some missing models in, see: https://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-2-dataminers-show-off-unreleased-ranked-mode-rocket/

There were originally videos of the other datamined mode too, was called 8 ball, but Nintendo went scorched earth on the dataminers footage of that one.

In any case, clearly neither mode materialised.
I believe from what we know this is far enough along in development (including assets and netcode) that it'd be strange for it to be binned at this point. They added assets to it after launch too

Back
Top Bottom