• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About the only notable negative is a bit of a lack of DPS on Cohozuna.
If the Stamper is doing their job and melee slashing him the entire time you shouldn't be struggling for DPS... but a lot of people don't know to do that

I finally reached S+0 rank BOOYAH!

I had lots of luck today! Out of 23 matches, I lost only like.. 4.
I feel like I've used up all my luck for the forseeable future LMAO.

Even the Rank Up matches I won with 3 consecutive wins, thank you solid random teammates!! 😭
I waited till Clam Blitz was out of rotation before attempting those, pretty smart move if I do say so myself lolol.

Edit:

WAIT i just realized I'll be ranked back to S once the new season starts 🤡😂

Last edited:
Tell me about it. Fought him 6 times last night, defeated him a total of 0.

Also, Big Shots have become the #1 annoyance/danger in SR. They are worse than Stinger and Flyfish.

Yup, no.1 run ender and no. 1 source of my rage. "Hint: If you're alone and able to hold the beach against Salmonids? It's probably because all the bosses are elsewhere like OVERRUNING THE BASKET. If you're three at the beach? They're definitely overruning the basket AND YOUR DEAD TEAMMATE" is what I'd yell if this game had voice chat.

If the Stamper is doing their job and melee slashing him the entire time you shouldn't be struggling for DPS... but a lot of people don't know to do that

To be honest, I have to look up the best damage combo for Stamper, too. On a second Extra Wave attempt I also discovered I underrated the Luna Blaster. It can put a good dent in the Cohozuna while keeping the area around it clear of Smallfry at the same time.

Oh... So I worked out how to use leanys gacha seed generator for the shell out machine and got my seed...

Apparently to get the rare banner for the season, I need to roll 1099 more times...

Well, if anything, that at least solidifies that I hate gachapon things in all their forms in all videogames

So as a filthy casual, can someone give me quick bullet points about what the new stuff in season 2 is?
  • a new shooter, roller, and charger type weapon
  • new kits (sub weapon and special weapon) for some existing weapons
  • a new stage
  • an old stage
  • new clothes
  • new crap for your locker
  • new victory emotes
  • new catalog (of course)

After this last Splatfest I'd say defenders are favored IF people remember to use defensive options lol, stymied a lot by teams running multiple Ink Vac/Big Bubbler weapons

Hard to say the defenders are favoured when this splatfest caused a significant shift away from team water to the other 2 again.

Big man lucked out because the defender also being the most popular team means that there are naturally fewer tricolour matches overall (because the defenders don't have a choice in the matter, while the attackers can try and make more tricolour battles), which meant it worked out a little better this time.

My Observations on new trailer:

Splattershot Pro looks like it has Suction Bomb and Booyah Bomb. The Pro needs a bit more damage so I would have hoped for Splat Bomb, but Suction Bomb is still solid. Could be fine especially if there are some buffs to the weapon or the alt kit's Angle Shooter. It having Booyah Bomb is nice and a pretty fair choice since Pro is not a phenomenal turfer. The special also allows the Pro to not be outshined by other shooters with a similar special like Splash-o-matic vs Vanilla. With Glooga being its Booyah shooter competitier instead of .52gal, I think the kit will do well.

Tentatek with Splat Bomb. Solid already, won't be surprised if it gets Ink Jet.

Dapple Dualies with Torpedo. Thats not bad, I need to know the special to give a full opinion.

Luna with Fizzy Bomb again. I liked the Kensa Luna in Splatoon 2 even though it wasn't great due to Ink Storm. Lack of turf can be mitigated by using Fizzy like a curling bomb or sitting back and throwing multiple fizzies. That works great for Luna imo. If the Luna gets a nice offensive special I can see it climbing up in usage.

Mini Splattling looked like it had Toxic Mist and Big Bubbler...hmm...more support than I expected. I don't think this will be an issue if Ultra Stamp on the alt kit gets a buff. Hard for me to have an opinion on this one.

New Shooter looks like its in a wierd place. It looks like it performs similar to Splatter Shot Pro or a Squeezer, so I am not sure yet what role its playing until I see more. Might have Point Sensor.

New Roller...all I saw was that it painted good. Okay. Need to see more. Might have Point Sensor.

New Charger looks cool, definitly takes more than one hit to kill but don't have to recharge after a shot. Comes with Tacticooler which kinda hurts it imo unless its supposed to be as mobile like Bamboozler or soemthing. Unlikely to have Point Sensor.

After this last Splatfest I'd say defenders are favored IF people remember to use defensive options lol, stymied a lot by teams running multiple Ink Vac/Big Bubbler weapons

Weapon choice is big in the mode overall. If one of the defenders goes in with a weapon that can't hold its own, your team of two is suddenly a team of one.

The worst losses I had as defender was when the enemy seemed to almost perfectly stagger specials like Killer Wail, Tenta Missiles etc, on the bridge back to back. We were forced to scatter constantly, and lost the ultra signal over and over.

That said, I think we won more Tricolor rounds than we lost. But the losses due to the above were infuriating.

Last edited:
I think I got like 3 Tri-colour matches the entire fest and I played several hours a day. This coming update should come with the fix for the Tri-colour, right? I wonder what changes they made.

Alright, time to confess: I don't enjoy S3's Splatfests and I'm kinda glad there wasn't one last month.

I'm colorblind, so with this night lighting is like everyone is using Ninja Squid (and A LOT of people are actually using it, which makes matters worse). I can't see at all, the enemy ink (water/blue) is one big surface. Can't even distinguish between stage objects and heights of painted areas. It's one big flat area to me (imagine a green screen).

I can deal better when fighting against grass teams because apparently a glitch made it a dull tone, but those matches are rare :b

In S2, only a few color combinations during the fests gave me trouble, and I could diminish the issue locking the colors. But in S3, all 3 splatfests have been a headache, and locking colors isn't helping much (I can perfectly distinguish between team colors).

It's frustrating and I'm truly sad :(
splatfest-has-darker-ink-an-advantage-over-lighter-inks-v0-20vym0r6nwz91.jpg

OMG I wasn't crazy and it wasn't only me being colorblind, nor just you @Sheldon!

Darker ink has the advantage because of the Splatfest night lighting. Japanese players are complaining about it, how you don't even need Ninja Squid.

During the previous two Splatfest, the darker ink always won 🤔

I really hope the developers do something about this, otherwise I'll be choosing the darker option always or I won't be able to play :(

Hopefully we get at least 1 new Salmon Run stage too with season 2...?

Has anyone figured out what's the gimmick for the new shooter?

Last edited:

OMG I wasn't crazy and it wasn't only me being colorblind, nor just you @Sheldon!

Darker ink has the advantage because of the Splatfest night lighting. Japanese players are complaining about it, how you don't even need Ninja Squid.

I really hope the developers do something about this, otherwise I'll be choosing the darker option always or I won't be able to play :(

I've got the problem even under regular non-Splatfest conditions, but if the lighting in thepicture is accurate the difference is actually starker than I thought it was. Wow.

On the bright side (ha), hey, if it's a topic of conversation among the Japanese fanbase, there's hoping it reaches the dev's ears.

Hopefully we get at least 1 new Salmon Run stage too with season 2...?

Has anyone figured out what's the gimmick for the new shooter?
I'm not sure if there's a gimmick, it might just be a mid range painting shooter (which the class is lacking currently ever since dual squelcher got converted)

Interesting, Splatoon 2 got a patch... Seemingly just the finishing touches to fix a few last bugs

This isn't a battle stage and the JPG artifacts are obscuring more than the ink color is, plus trails in the ink aren't what give people away (it's the splashes they make when swimming), and suggesting that the ink color is what made the difference in Splatfest winners is kind of ridiculous (on top of the fact that there was no dark ink color in Gear/Grub/Fun).

I hope so much it'll be like a Splatoon 1 roller. So only horizontal flick, but way more powerful
Vertical flick was visible in the trailer.

This isn't a battle stage and the JPG artifacts are obscuring more than the ink color is, plus trails in the ink aren't what give people away (it's the splashes they make when swimming), and suggesting that the ink color is what made the difference in Splatfest winners is kind of ridiculous (on top of the fact that there was no dark ink color in Gear/Grub/Fun).
The lobby lighting changed during the Splatfest to match the battle stages/night theme.

And who is complaining about the winner? I did not even mention teams. I'm not saying it's what made the difference in results or that they would have been different.

I'm saying darker ink has an advantage, and my complaint is about me (and others) who literally couldn't see or distinguish anything in darker ink, to the point of making it extremely hard to play, which I detailed in the quoted post (and included not only ink trails, but splashes and stage objects, terrain and their heights).

In the gear/grub/fun Splatfest, the purple had that same visual property I described (I was in team gear).

Tell me about it. Fought him 6 times last night, defeated him a total of 0.

Also, Big Shots have become the #1 annoyance/danger in SR. They are worse than Stinger and Flyfish.
I realized this like 1 month into the new SR. Big Shots are like if Stingers took 10 seconds to kill and they attacked the entire team at the same time

I realized this like 1 month into the new SR. Big Shots are like if Stingers took 10 seconds to kill and they attacked the entire team at the same time
Yep. At first I was like "jumping to avoid the waves is kind of fun 😋", but now I'm like "OH NO! 😱" when there are more than one on shore 🥴

The "darker ink always won" kinda falls apart because ... It didn't.

Big mans team was ahead in open in all the region's in the demo Splatfest until tricolour messed it up, and still won in Pro, and the same in gear/grub/fun splatfest, despite being a lighter colour.

Doesn't splatoon have a colorlock option anyway specifically designed to help colourblind people? Did that not help if it was turned on?

Why is every stage design in this game just 3 rectangles

It feels to me that the problem they have is that stages have to be symmetric and small enough to reach the centre in short order, while also being recoverable with a lucky push. It also feels like they're a little scared to have more complex stages (see: how mahi mahi, Hammer head bridge and Museum d'Alfonsino have reduced complexity vs the splatoon 1 incarnations), all of which combine to create somewhat similar stages.

It doesn't help that we're also missing some of the more unique maps from earlier titles that made it to 2 and so hopefully wouldn't be changed much, like Kelp dome or Skatepark, which were presumably prioritised in 2 because they were great picks, while we get some of the lower priority ones from 1 in 3, since we don't actually have any stages appear in all 3 games yet, I think. I get why they're avoiding the stages from 2 early on because the ones we got were basically unchanged though.

But that similarity of maps also makes me wish they'd just put more of them in 3 to pad things out quickly tbh, they've got to compete with the memory of splat2 on the same platform for me, and that game having had a far wider selection of maps makes splatoon 3 feel much more stale at the moment.

I hope that there's a longer tail, because if they stop, I'll be annoyed too.

I just had a look at the stages from 1 that didn't come back in 2, and that list is the following 8 stages:
Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass ,Bluefin Depot, Flounder Heights , Hammerhead Bridge, Museum D'Alfonsino, Mahi-Mahi Resort, Ancho-V Games

Mahi-Mahi, Museum D'Alfonsino and Hammerhead are already in, and now we know Flounder Heights is coming too.
If we get 1 returning splat1/2 stage and 1 new each catalogue, that could mean 4 splat 1 stages, 4 splat 2 and 8 new ones, which wouldn't be terrible. I suspect saltspray would need either significant reworking to come back, so if one was missed, it might be that one? Unlike almost every other splatoon stage, it wasn't symmetric and that caused issues at a competitive level.

(and they should have more room for designing since they're not also making 24 shifty station layouts, which should probably be accounted for in raw stage numbers. Aside: They should have added those to 2's turf war rotations once the whole content release was done. )

Edit: Though thinking about it, Saltspray is about the only map that would naturally actually lend itself well to tricolour...

Datamines suggest league is coming in 3.0.0, yeah.
Saltspray is probably my most wanted map. I still remember playing it during the first global testfire (and I did an amazing thing where I jumped backwards while shooting in one of the ramps over a roller that was trying to squeeze me from behind, which made me instantly fall in love with the game :p). I love how it was a rush to the top and everyone would meet at close range at the entrance. Then either try to defend it or find your way in, or try to outsmart the other team by getting the bottom and the rest of the map (which worked like 1 time out of 100, so it was awesome when it did!). It also features elevators, a moving container, a tower, ramps, tight corridors and many places to fall down. I think it may be the most difficult map to navigate so far and one that had a lot of tricks to learn. Hope it make it back!

It feels to me that the problem they have is that stages have to be symmetric and small enough to reach the centre in short order, while also being recoverable with a lucky push. It also feels like they're a little scared to have more complex stages (see: how mahi mahi, Hammer head bridge and Museum d'Alfonsino have reduced complexity vs the splatoon 1 incarnations), all of which combine to create somewhat similar stages.

It doesn't help that we're also missing some of the more unique maps from earlier titles that made it to 2 and so hopefully wouldn't be changed much, like Kelp dome or Skatepark, which were presumably prioritised in 2 because they were great picks, while we get some of the lower priority ones from 1 in 3, since we don't actually have any stages appear in all 3 games yet, I think. I get why they're avoiding the stages from 2 early on because the ones we got were basically unchanged though.

But that similarity of maps also makes me wish they'd just put more of them in 3 to pad things out quickly tbh, they've got to compete with the memory of splat2 on the same platform for me, and that game having had a far wider selection of maps makes splatoon 3 feel much more stale at the moment.
I think something like The Reef (luckily also likely to return) is a perfect example of a better design. Yes it's a big rectangle, but there's ways to go around the rectangle instead of being forced through the center of it. With the new spawning system it shouldn't be an issue to make slightly longer flank routes either since you can spawn in a place already halfway there

Saltspray is probably my most wanted map. I still remember playing it during the first global testfire (and I did an amazing thing where I jumped backwards while shooting in one of the ramps over a roller that was trying to squeeze me from behind, which made me instantly fall in love with the game :p). I love how it was a rush to the top and everyone would meet at close range at the entrance. Then either try to defend it or find your way in, or try to outsmart the other team by getting the bottom and the rest of the map (which worked like 1 time out of 100, so it was awesome when it did!). It also features elevators, a moving container, a tower, ramps, tight corridors and many places to fall down. I think it may be the most difficult map to navigate so far and one that had a lot of tricks to learn. Hope it make it back!
It portrays exactly what's missing in the current stages if you ask me: the weird and fun stuff. Although Saltspray was maybe slightly too much of it, yet currently we're on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to maps sadly

This isn't a battle stage and the JPG artifacts are obscuring more than the ink color is, plus trails in the ink aren't what give people away (it's the splashes they make when swimming),

You think dark blue splashes on dark blue background are much easier to see than dark blue ripples on dark blue background? Trails are also what lets you predict movement. If you spot a splash it's still a guessing game where to shoot to cut off an advance or retreat.

Good for you that your eyes work fine with the color, but don't go telling people their own eyes don't have a problem when they expeience their eyes having a problem.

You think dark blue splashes on dark blue background are much easier to see than dark blue ripples on dark blue background? Trails are also what lets you predict movement. If you spot a splash it's still a guessing game where to shoot to cut off an advance or retreat.

Good for you that your eyes work fine with the color, but don't go telling people their own eyes don't have a problem when they expeience their eyes having a problem.
Not to mention the fact that ninja squid is quite strong and used a lot, and the trail IS the only way to track people running it

I've had this problem a lot myself even back in Splatoon 2, I've straight up suggested to my team to turn on color lock and always try to be on team Bravo in competitive matches in Splatoon 2 (so the enemy is always yellow)

Since Splatoon 1 I wanted the ability to lock in and/or ban certain colors. My eyesight isnt the greatest and colorblind having blue/purple as a mandatory option doesnt do it for me unfortunatley.

It portrays exactly what's missing in the current stages if you ask me: the weird and fun stuff. Although Saltspray was maybe slightly too much of it, yet currently we're on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to maps sadly
TBH I think a lot of the maps are a long corridor with a central zone. We need more stuff like Bluefin Depot which featured 2 separate central zones, Flounder Heights (glad it's coming back!) with its verticality that split the map in half (jumping from the top and splatting people your way down was awesome!), even something as "simple" as Urchin Underpass had some side alleys to help with flanking (BTW, the use of glass floors and grate walls in these corridors was amazing, it helped creating some really cool moments, specially when you were trying to approach a sniper with a shorter range weapon...and we're you were trying to defend your position as well!)...

We got Hammerhead Bridge but it got it's more distinct feature (the grate platforms crossing all the map) removed :/

TBH I think a lot of the maps are a long corridor with a central zone. We need more stuff like Bluefin Depot which featured 2 separate central zones, Flounder Heights (glad it's coming back!) with its verticality that split the map in half (jumping from the top and splatting people your way down was awesome!), even something as "simple" as Urchin Underpass had some side alleys to help with flanking (BTW, the use of glass floors and grate walls in these corridors was amazing, it helped creating some really cool moments, specially when you were trying to approach a sniper with a shorter range weapon...and we're you were trying to defend your position as well!)...

We got Hammerhead Bridge but it got it's more distinct feature (the grate platforms crossing all the map) removed :/

Part of the problem is all 3 of the current splat1 maps got their gimmicks reduced or outright removed. Mahi Mahi has significantly fewer platforms and some of the rotating things in the Museum were removed too.

800px-Map_S3_Mahi-Mahi_Resort_Turf_War.jpg

Map_Mahi-Mahi_Resort_Turf_War_Overhead2.jpg

To be honest, if it weren't for keeping the mahi-mahi theming, it'd be hard to tell these were supposed to be the same map between 3(top) and 1

Since Splatoon 1 I wanted the ability to lock in and/or ban certain colors. My eyesight isnt the greatest and colorblind having blue/purple as a mandatory option doesnt do it for me unfortunatley.
That's been in the games since the first one. Go to settings - > color lock.

It will lock your colors and is for people who are colorblind

That's been in the games since the first one. Go to settings - > color lock.

It will lock your colors and is for people who are colorblind

It doesnt lock colors i want. Unless I am mistaken color lock has a dark blue. I dont want that color at all so the color blind mode doesnt help me.

This is currently my only real complaint about the game, but it's a huge complaint.

Flounder Heights looks more intact than I thought it would be so that's nice, however it looks like they still removed some of its height and part of the sides. Am really looking forward to trying it again. And I completely forgot about the grates! That's such a smart implementation and I'd love to see those kind of obstacles be used more. Also, have you noticed how in all the new Splatoon 3 maps the only usage of round forms is a tiny grate platform in Undertow Spillway? I think having a new stage with round forms would go a long way to add some diversity as well (look at Blackbelly Skatepark or Humpback Pumptrack)

Splatoon 3 locked colors are yellow and blue (same as S2), except in S3's Splatfests where there are 3 colors.
During the Pokémon festival the locked colors were light blue for fire, dark blue for water and yellow/green for grass (I don't know if it changes per Splatfest/theme).

FheP9qhWIAAHeaV.jpg

FheP989WAAAdMKn.jpg

Those were the locked colors for fire vs water. Fire = light blue. Water = dark blue. Always.

The ideal option would be letting people choose their preferred colors, because not all color blindness is the same. Different people have distinct reduced ability to distinguish between certain colors.

Splatoon 3 locked colors are yellow and blue (same as S2),

Haha, that explains it. I was just trying the color-lock option after this thread made me curious and first match I get the enemy team is blue with three out of four ninja squids. What are the odds, I thought?

It's not the darkest blue, so that's a slight improvement and I gotta see how it works without so many ninjas in the mix, but once again felt like the game trolling me all the same.

And before trying this option I had always assumed it'd let you pick one of several color pair options. Yeah, nope, that's one half-assed implementation.

Flounder hights is coming back?
Splatoon 3 redeemed. Who said that? Is there a trailler?

Edit: It’s right there on the new chill trailler. I didn’t notice it.

God lives, amen!

Based on Prochara's new video the new Shooter weapon has Point Sensor and Killer Wail. Its also interesting that he stated that the new shooter reminds him of the OG Dual Squelcher whoch would fit in between Pro and Squeezer as a standard shooter. Looking at past games for Dual and Dualie Squelcher kits, one kit had Killer wail and two kits had the ability to track with Echolocator or Point Sensor. So the devs may be trying to bring the OG Dual playstyle back. They have my attention with this weapon.

Back
Top Bottom